THE WITCHER 3 SWITCH , MAKE THE GAME LOOK BETTER (WITH MORE SETTINGS).

+
I also would have liked to see what adjusting settings on stock clocks did. Considering Saber Interactive can't mess with the system clocks, it would have been awesome to see what would happen with sharpening on and low foliage. I think that's the most likely 'upgrade' to the game with the best impact on resolution we can realistically expect.
idk why people want sharpening so bad it looks like ass and even makes it look cartoony the only setting worth changing for better visuals is anti-aliasing which causes A LOT of the blurriness

idk why people want sharpening so bad it looks like ass and even makes it look cartoony the only setting worth changing for better visuals is anti-aliasing which causes A LOT of the blurriness

When set properly, I find it's hardly noticeable. It simply helps foreground / background become a little more distinct and allows smaller details to pop.

That might be the thing with the sharpening, all the videos just set it to max and got a highly oversharpened image.

Maybe having the sharpening on low combined with a toned-down anti-aliasing (or a different type of anti-aliasing like SMAA) might be the better choice, Saber has a few options on the table outside of what is visible in the config file that was copied from the PC version.

Talking from experience as Designer, most people do prefer slightly oversharpened images due to the crisper and clearer look. Not to mention the huge amount of badly calibrated and set up UHD screens nowadays. On those even a sharp 1080p can Look soft, add sharpening and it appears more clear. In a way at least.

NVIDIA’s TXAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing) combines MSAA (down-sampling) and post-processing (blurring) with temporal filters for the overall better outcome.

Naturally, TXAA also requires more power than the standard FXAA as it handles fast in-game motion much more efficiently

iy
Talking from experience as Designer, most people do prefer slightly oversharpened images due to the crisper and clearer look. Not to mention the huge amount of badly calibrated and set up UHD screens nowadays. On those even a sharp 1080p can Look soft, add sharpening and it appears more clear. In a way at least.
to me it just makes a game look cel shaded which for me is not an appealing look

iy

to me it just makes a game look cel shaded which for me is not an appealing look

That's what I mean about it being set properly. Depends on the display and the game. If correctly configured, it's practically invisible. When set too high, things start to look almost like paper dolls and cut-outs. I'd argue the image below shows very well balanced sharpening:

1581699637827.png

As for AA, yes, FXAA can make everything noticeably blurry. That's exactly what it does. Rather than try to isolate geometric "edges", like SMAA, which is time-consuming and very processor intensive, it simply blends all of the pixels across the entire image, which is much faster. The image on the left above seems to be an FXAA pass, and the sharpened image on the right gets rid of some of the blurriness by adding more contrast to the pixels that are adjecent but quite different colors. So, we get smooth edges and a clearer image. (As long as the settings aren't too extreme either way.)

Last edited:
Hi all,

For whoever is keeping up with the Switch patch, all information about this was taken down by Saber. But according to this website CDPR spoke to them and it's still on the way, this was updated yesterday.

" Update from 02/14/2020
CD Projekt Red has given the all-clear for GamePro.de regarding the update for the switch version of The Witcher 3. This was "not canceled" and would "appear promptly". "

German website but I used Chrome to translate.

Regards.

Hi all,

For whoever is keeping up with the Switch patch, all information about this was taken down by Saber. But according to this website CDPR spoke to them and it's still on the way, this was updated yesterday.

" Update from 02/14/2020
CD Projekt Red has given the all-clear for GamePro.de regarding the update for the switch version of The Witcher 3. This was "not canceled" and would "appear promptly". "

German website but I used Chrome to translate.

Regards.
The translation is mostly accurate, except for "promptly", which could cause a bit confusion. The article says "erscheint zeitnah" which can be translated with "appear promptly" but "zeitnah" usually is more like "in a short while" or "as soon as possible". It describes a point in the future that is close to the present.

Just to clarify so people now, it still could take a while

Thanks for confirming the translation :) I am so glad it's not been cancelled! It is odd CDPR only made contact with that one particular site though.

Thanks for confirming the translation :) I am so glad it's not been cancelled! It is odd CDPR only made contact with that one particular site though.

This was also my thought with the original post. I didn't know Gamepro.de until that moment (and i did not research any further) so i have no idea if this is a reliable "gaming site". It sure feels odd that they confirmed it with these guys and not some of the major gaming sites like IGN or Gamespot.

Gamepro is a reputable German publication. Back in the 90s/early 2000s there was two huge PC gaming magazines in Germany, PC Games and Gamestar. Later the publisher of Gamestar added a console specific spin-off magazine called Gamepro. Large print magazine in Germany, you can trust what they write.

Sometimes those German magazines seem to have special communication channels to European developers, so it is likely they just mailed someone at CD Project to confirm the rumors.

I found this on a well-known gaming website... do you think it is for real?
Patch 3.6 for Witcher 3 (KOREAN VER.) has been released

News
I hope that new patch for US version is going be released soon.
FYI, graphics are improved (minor) and you can share the saved data with STEAM/GOG (I don't know what GOG is though) version.

Some guy posted the difference of the graphics so please kindly go to the following link for the reference.

https://bbs.ruliweb.com/nin/board/300051/read/30646084

Yes!!! I was hoping for the graphics settings!! :D even better they included the options for other settings not just AA. thanks for posting the news :)

Graphical settings seem to be included in the update.

• Blur • Bloom • Sharpen • Depth of Field • Chromatic Aberration • Water Quality • Foliage Visibility Range • Anti-Aliasing

It seems that the patch is everything we have hoped for :) I have checked one hour ago and i still couldn't download anything (i live in Europe).

It seems that the patch is everything we have hoped for :) I have checked one hour ago and i still couldn't download anything (i live in Europe).
Well, as of now it is only in Korea. For all we know about approvel processes it could show up today, tomorrow or nexyt week for the rest, no one knows.

Edit: based on a User in a german Facebook Community, the update is live in Germany and ready to load

Last edited:
A big Thank your to CDPR and Saber Interactive, you guys have more than delivered. That update is awesome.

The additional Settings are brilliant and all the small tweaks like Grass Physics, Touchscreen support for things like the Map and, last but not least, cross save with GOG/Steam are just amazing and a big gift for your customers.
Especially the cross save... damn is this an awesome surprise.

No seriously, no clue whether anyone as CDPR or Saber will ever read this beyond to support guys but honestly , thanks to the entire team.

Top Bottom