The Witcher 3: Two Areas Are Over 52 Square Miles by Themselves?

+
I've read that we won't be doing much open water sailing; heard that it would take like 2 hours real time to sail to Skellige from the mainland. Anybody know if they're including the water area as part of the area total area or are they just counting land mass?

I work at a university so I'm still disappointed we won't get to go to Oxenfurt even though it's so close to Novigrad. Here's hoping they add it for an Enhanced Edition or even later a purchasable DLC.

Last edited:
Can't remember where I read it but they stated we won't get to go there. It was a while ago, long before the news that the area is going to be a lot bigger than the proposed 35x bigger than TW2.

They said the reasons for not being able to go to Oxenfurt would be obvious in the game:sad:. I'm thinking plague quarantine.
Hope they add Tretegor though

I'm surprised you're just now starting to worry.

I've been worried ever since they said the world will be 30% larger than Skyrim. The fact that we know so little about the game, even though it's been almost a year since the announcement doesn't exactly inspire confidence either.

As with all games, we'll have to wait until it's out to be sure. It's all too easy to feed fans select information that isn't representative of the final product, so silence on CDPR's part doesn't bother me as much.

Seriously, wat? A mile equals 10 kilometers, did I read that correctly?
Aye, indeed you did. :yes And I meant every word of it, but never did I mean to imply that I, by 'mile', was referring to an imperial mile, but instead what I would call 10 kilometres. I did point out that, to me(and several millions more I might add) a mile is 10 kilometres. I also did mention my own confusion whenever reading about miles did I not? OP mentioned km and miles hence my post of my confusion and what a mile is to me.

Commonly a mile is 1.6 km (rounded). I'm guessing you mean the Scandinavian mile?

Damn, that's only 1600 metres. Another 8400 metres to go before becoming what I consider a mile(again, not imperial mile). Okay, but I guess Witcher 3 will kick ass anyway, whether conversion mishaps or not. What I was referring to was whatever someone who uses the metric system call 10 kilometres(10 000 metres) in their own language. In my case mile is the best translation. Or, rather apparently it isn't the best, since confusion did happen anyway. ;)

The slides were using km.
Aye, as do every road sign in Europe, but thank you for mentioning the slides. You get an ice cream for that. :ice:I guess I'll stick to saying km whenever I speak english.

Metric system has a mile?

Every day something new

I guess there's always something new to learn for everyone everyday, and today's lesson is that, no you can't use the word mile in english(that's english mind you!) when referring to the metric system. Apparently km must suffice, sadly, or a misunderstanding is bound to happen. I have no idea what to call it, but mile to me(metric system not imperial mile) ought to be 10 km. Logic see. 1000 metres is a kilometre, or a 'click' in military lingo. Ten 'clicks'(km) equals a mile(again...not...imperial...mile...), 15 'clicks' equals 1.5 miles etc. A distance of 100 km, we say 10 miles, not 100 km. Even 20 or 30 km we say two or three miles. It would just be weird and people would look at you funny if you used km, especially 100 km.

Imperial (Archaic) system:
Mile = 1760 yards, 5280 feet (and various other non-obvious 'merchant/farmer' based derivatives (barleycorns, chains, acres etc).
Also Nautical Mile = 2025.37 yards, 6076.12 feet (division of the circumference of the earth for navigation)

Standard International (Metric) system:
Km = 1000 metres, 10,000 decimeters etc, areas measured in Hectares (10,000 m^2) or Km^2 (1,000,000 m^2).
Conversions between the two aren't difficult but fraught with error ~ witness the loss of NASA's lander a few years ago because of a bad conversion.

1 yard ~ 0.914m, 1 mile ~ 1.61km
1 sq mile ~ 2.59 sq km

Thanks! Don't get me started on measuring in feet though. Good grief! I do not use imperial system so to me it's confusing, and less logical tbh. But I'm sure it's the other way around for anyone used to imperial system, and that they think metric system doesn't make any sense at all. We don't measure long distances in decimetres however, and what's missing from your post is what you call 10 km. Because you don't go the other way, measuring the distance in metres unless the distance being a couple of hundred metres, tops. Definately wouldn't someone use decimetres in, say, a situation of giving directions. Honestly, if someone came up to me asking how many decimetres it was to the nearest gas station, even if this gas station being a couple of metres away(ergo you can see it), I would probably think the person pulling my leg asking such a question, or possibly that a mathematician had escaped from some place he probably should have stayed. ^_^ We do say square km and hectares though, referring to vast areas of course.

I had no idea about the lander, that it was because of that misunderstanding and conversion error, I mean.

Last edited:
Aye, as do every road sign in Europe, but thank you for mentioning the slides. You get an ice cream for that. :ice:I guess I'll stick to saying km whenever I speak english.

I only mentioned it since you were unsure about the miles thing. We have the information in km, which is unambiguous.

Aye, indeed you did. :yes And I meant every word of it, but never did I mean to imply that I, by 'mile', was referring to an imperial mile, but instead what I would call 10 kilometres. I did point out that, to me(and several millions more I might add) a mile is 10 kilometres. I also did mention my own confusion whenever reading about miles did I not? OP mentioned km and miles hence my post of my confusion and what a mile is to me.

Damn, that's only 1600 metres. Another 8400 metres to go before becoming what I consider a mile(again, not imperial mile). Okay, but I guess Witcher 3 will kick ass anyway, whether conversion mishaps or not. What I was referring to was whatever someone who uses the metric system call 10 kilometres(10 000 metres) in their own language. In my case mile is the best translation. Or, rather apparently it isn't the best, since confusion did happen anyway. ;)

I guess there's always something new to learn for everyone everyday, and today's lesson is that, no you can't use the word mile in english(that's english mind you!) when referring to the metric system. Apparently km must suffice, sadly, or a misunderstanding is bound to happen. I have no idea what to call it, but mile to me(metric system not imperial mile) ought to be 10 km. Logic see. 1000 metres is a kilometre, or a 'click' in military lingo. Ten 'clicks'(km) equals a mile(again...not...imperial...mile...), 15 'clicks' equals 1.5 miles etc. A distance of 100 km, we say 10 miles, not 100 km. Even 20 or 30 km we say two or three miles. It would just be weird and people would look at you funny if you used km, especially 100 km.

Thanks! Don't get me started on measuring in feet though. Good grief! I do not use imperial system so to me it's confusing, and less logical tbh. But I'm sure it's the other way around for anyone used to imperial system, and that they think metric system doesn't make any sense at all. We don't measure long distances in decimetres however, and what's missing from your post is what you call 10 km. Because you don't go the other way, measuring the distance in metres unless the distance being a couple of hundred metres, tops. Definately wouldn't someone use decimetres in, say, a situation of giving directions. Honestly, if someone came up to me asking how many decimetres it was to the nearest gas station, even if this gas station being a couple of metres away(ergo you can see it), I would probably think the person pulling my leg asking such a question, or possibly that a mathematician had escaped from some place he probably should have stayed. ^_^ We do say square km and hectares though, referring to vast areas of course.

I had no idea about the lander, that it was because of that misunderstanding and conversion error, I mean.

Uhmm .... 1 mile = 10 kilometres ...?

Excuse me,sir .... But in what universe do you live in? :p

Uhmm .... 1 mile = 10 kilometres ...?

Excuse me,sir .... But in what universe do you live in? :p
Read my recent post if you please. And by all means, Sir, read my previous one as well. ;) I clearly state that I'm not referring to an imperial mile but silly me, people are damn sensitive here, and pointing out that there are differences between countries and cultures is apparently forbidden. I share the same universe as you I guess. I hope so. I daresay we even share the same planet. I tend to space out from time to time though tbh. :p

I love CDPROJEKT so fucking much!
:unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

This is erroneous, Miles have no relevance to the metric system, and 10 km does not mean a mile in any system of measurement.

What I was referring to was whatever someone who uses the metric system call 10 kilometres(10 000 metres) in their own language. In my case mile is the best translation. Or, rather apparently it isn't the best, since confusion did happen anyway. ;)

I'm am not aware of any specific name for this unit. For any practicable terrestrial distance I would just use the term km. e.g. 1km, 15km, 1001km, 6543km - making up names that don't mean what you assume them to mean adds confusion without benefit. I *suppose* that megametre might refer to 1000km, but it seems superfluous and I've never heard anyone use it. (Recall that the unit is metre, not km, kilo already meaning 1000 times ~ there is an oddity in SI, where the unit of mass is kilogram, but all other units the standard value has 1 value at one 'standard unit' whether that be metre, pascal, joule etc.

Aye, as do every road sign in Europe

Not here, where we have miles on road signs still. "Mille" comes from the Latin for "Thousand" and refers to double paces - each of approximately 1.6 metres (though the original units would have been something else which I can't be bothered to look up. For mile to mean 10km, the unit it is based on would be a 100m length.... which makes no sense *at all*.

Not logic ~ possibly colloquialism, but totally incorrect.

10 km is 10km, 100km is 100km. I've *never* heard of anyone using anything else for terrestrial measurements, though there are astronomical units.

Hectare is only a square 100m on a side, so not really 'vast'. It is bigger than an acre though, which was 1 chain by 10 chains (22 by 220 yds, the amount of ground ploughable in a day by one plough (with 8 oxen)), therefore one acre is 4840 square yards, or 4047 square meters (0.405 (ish) Hectares).

Mediaeval Bath had walls 1247m long, enclosing around 9 Hectares of area, though this would have been 66 chains or 6 furlongs and 6 chains, and 22 acres in the units of the time.

Alright, I believe we've cleared up any misunderstandings possible about what a mile (and some other units) is in English. Now, let's get back on topic.

This is erroneous, Miles have no relevance to the metric system, and 10 km does not mean a mile in any system of measurement.

I'm am not aware of any specific name for this unit. For any practicable terrestrial distance I would just use the term km. e.g. 1km, 15km, 1001km, 6543km - making up names that don't mean what you assume them to mean adds confusion without benefit. I *suppose* that megametre might refer to 1000km, but it seems superfluous and I've never heard anyone use it. (Recall that the unit is metre, not km, kilo already meaning 1000 times ~ there is an oddity in SI, where the unit of mass is kilogram, but all other units the standard value has 1 value at one 'standard unit' whether that be metre, pascal, joule etc.

Not here, where we have miles on road signs still. "Mille" comes from the Latin for "Thousand" and refers to double paces - each of approximately 1.6 metres (though the original units would have been something else which I can't be bothered to look up. For mile to mean 10km, the unit it is based on would be a 100m length.... which makes no sense *at all*.

Not logic ~ possibly colloquialism, but totally incorrect.

10 km is 10km, 100km is 100km. I've *never* heard of anyone using anything else for terrestrial measurements, though there are astronomical units.

Hectare is only a square 100m on a side, so not really 'vast'. It is bigger than an acre though, which was 1 chain by 10 chains (22 by 220 yds, the amount of ground ploughable in a day by one plough (with 8 oxen)), therefore one acre is 4840 square yards, or 4047 square meters (0.405 (ish) Hectares).

Mediaeval Bath had walls 1247m long, enclosing around 9 Hectares of area, though this would have been 66 chains or 6 furlongs and 6 chains, and 22 acres in the units of the time.
Wow, we're really doing this are we? Did you even read my post? :laughing: Do I assume correctly when saying that you don't come from a country that use the metric system? We're not from the same country and sadly any discussion seems to be moot since you clearly refuse do believe anything I say. This is simply...because you aren't aware of it in the first place as you put it. In this case, it's how we measure where I'm from. If you're thinking that I made this up...well...it's both interesting and a little sad at the same time. I don't mind actually, but rather find it educational. 'How can I convince you' I wonder? 'Do I waste my time trying?' I used the term mile and, well I learned my lesson, I'll never use the word mile again when speaking english and referring to what I mean. Never did I refer to what you(imperial system) consider a mile to be. Check my posts.

These are basic things we learn in school. In my country we have a name for a unit of 10 kilometres. We abbreviate kilometres to km and anyone confusing it for kilogram(which we abbreviate to kg) is apparently not from around the same country I'm from. Like you. This is all true. We do. Just accept it, it has already been mentioned by more than me in this thread anyway. It's called a mile though spelled differently. This is clearly not what you consider a mile is, as I'm referring to a unit of 10 km. It exists. We use this word daily when speaking of longer distances. And yes, to us it's very logical. And it has been for a very long time. We use the metric system(and do please re-read my previous post if you're interested). This is probably confusing, I understand that, but it does not make it untrue just because of your opinion or what you don't know or have heard.

What you 'never' have heard of, doesn't equal it to be erroneus. If you believe that I...won't attract the attention of the moderators by giving you some snarky remark. I'm better than that.

True with hectare, and one hectare isn't much, but I've yet to see or hear of a farmer farming a single hectare of land while also making a profit. I've yet to see a hobby gardener to have an entire single hectare garden to plant flowers or whatever. But that's just me, they are both surely out there with their single hectare of land, and I don't regard something to be false just because my own lack of knowledge of it.

I can admit my error of using the word mile, spelled like that, and I've admitted it already. Twice now. I thought of sharing you know, it's what the forum is for isn't it? Whenever I see the word mile I think of the similarity it has of the word mil in my language and the difference those units are in length. But that's it. All other erroneous statements(especially whenever you erroneously use the word erroneous) you will have bear yourself.
I wish you a pleasent evening! But then again I'm nice like that. ;)

EDIT: Pardon me moderator, I didn't see your post until I had posted mine.

So let me get this straight, this is not April fools right?

The game has really grown from around 20% bigger to something like, at least 3 times bigger than Skyrim, pehrhaps more. And achieved this by changing scale?

How does that work, exactly? You cut up the game world and add filler in between? I don't get it, the whole thing seems bizzare to me :wat:

Okay I finally just finished reading everything from Marcin's first comment in the thread.

What the hell is this game ?!!! what have I been following for the past year or so? I don't even know what to expect anymore.

Since the day we got the neogaf pic of the confirmed facts for TW3 from the Game Informer article, I already thought this would be a monster of a game, now im more skeptical than ever, but if CDPRED are really trying to do such an incredible thing, their intentions already satisfied me enough, even if the game doesn't end up being good. Thanks for answering @Marcin Momot

I am terribly sorry, but if the kind moderator and mr Gratus permit, can I ask which country that uses the metric system you are from? This from a fellow metricist from the Netherlands that was as surprised as anyone here to hear the word 'mile' used for 10 km - the scientific terminology, at least, would be the decametre (or some alternative spelling), abbreviated dam or Dm. Although according to wikipedia this term is rarely used, I am familiar with it - not as a synonym for 'mile', though.
(Please, don't be offended by me asking this - I'm just curious!)

Edit: If the kind moderator is unhappy with me derailing the topic in this direction, maybe we should continue the conversation in PM :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom