The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep speaking of reduced foliage. Have you played Skyrim with a grass mod like Verdant? You can't see shit, the enemies get lost in the grass when they die, etc. Besides, the grass is not as much reduced, as it is shorter.

Reg, it seems you have an axe to grind. There is a Visuals thread, where this belongs. Looking at it, I see your last post was "Downgrade confirmed"...But either way, starting threads and yelling "downgrade! Whyyyy!" isn't going to change the game, convince CDPR they made a huge mistake or do anything other than start/continue trouble.

I agree with what you say, yet The Witcher 3 was marketed as the best looking rpg, and the developers did wax eloquent about its graphical prowess. In that context, a downgrade or an optimization does look a little disingenuous on part of the studio since CDP is know for being forthright with fans and their silence on this matter may raise certain questions.

the "confirmed" picture posted by regulator seem to include several outstanding factors, rendering, lighting, shaders, they're all drastically different. it may even be an artistic decision to make the armor look more dull than reflective like a mirror. the 2013 picture doesn't show anything that isn't still doable in the game. the reflected lighting is more precise and realistic in the 2015 picture as well. the environment is lighted in a more detailed way.

seems like another case of different=downgraded.

I don't care much for the visuals, for me it's more about the story and gameplay. It's just about what you prefer. If the graphics would be of a higher quality, then first the game couldn't run 60 fps but rather 30 fps which most gamers don't like either and second we all would need better video cards to get that higher quality and there would be less people who could play it (like me :)

I see some very strong feelings about how the game looks. Everyone is free to say what they want but comparing screenshots with youtube images won't do you any favors, maybe wait to get the game in your hands and then go for it.

Personally, if i was so unhappy with how a game looks and thought that someone lied to me i wouldn't buy it. Especially since we know how the game "actually" looks for almost a year now.

the "confirmed" picture posted by regulator seem to include several outstanding factors, rendering, lighting, shaders, they're all drastically different. it may even be an artistic decision to make the armor look more dull than reflective like a mirror. the 2013 picture doesn't show anything that isn't still doable in the game. the reflected lighting is more precise and realistic in the 2015 picture as well. the environment is lighted in a more detailed way.

seems like another case of different=downgraded.

Uuu, now I don't want to discuss the source or the settings and quality/compression of the upper (the new one) picture, but you must be truly blind if you're saying they are rather different, than better/worse. The reflection and rust on the trailer pic is superb, CGI-like quality. The other is nowhere close to it. But than again, Seeing the VGX back then, I knew right away this is not what we would get as a final product. Too good to be true.

I see some very strong feelings about how the game looks. Everyone is free to say what they want but comparing screenshots with youtube images won't do you any favors, maybe wait to get the game in your hands and then go for it.

Personally, if i was so unhappy with how a game looks and thought that someone lied to me i wouldn't buy it. Especially since we know how the game "actually" looks for almost a year now.

There are basically 3 kinds of people here. Those yelling it looks like shit, downgrade! and such (you can mostly recognize them by recently created accounts:)), those, who say that nothing's changed and the game still looks as in the earlier footage, and if not the same, then at least not worse. And then there are people like me, seeing the obvious changes made through the development, and the objectively worse foliage quality (to pick the most visible). But they are ok with it, becasue they take it as a necessary toll for getting a polished and optimized final product.

I think what bugs most people is not the actual status of the game, how it looks now, but the simple fact they've been 'promised" something else, better looking.

Last edited:
I agree with what you say, yet The Witcher 3 was marketed as the best looking rpg, and the developers did wax eloquent about its graphical prowess.

Sure - that was part of the marketing. It was marketed as a great-looking Role-Playing game. rguably, the best-looking role-playing game.

I haven't seen anything to disagree with that so far. Some points it may have dropped in quality since earlier trailers, or, as john says, ( I cannot believe I'm agreeing with him) different might equal downgraded.

CDPR position has been, from the get-go, this will be a great looking RPG. Consensus from everyone who has played it, with the occasional reservation or issue, is that it is in fact a great looking RPG. Maybe the best looking game, right now. Although something like that is really in the eye of the beholder.

The "downgrade" issue comes not because people think the game suddenly looks like crap, but that because either a) they are rabble-rousing for fun or b), more commonly, they feel they aren't getting what they were "promised". Note I put that in quotes, since a promise is a whole lot different than images and videos released during the development of a work. There is a whole subtext of "victimization" on the suspicion that the game was reduced from what it -could- have been to appease console buyers, either because the game could then run on the "inferior" console platforms or because they would be jealous of our natural PC superiority.

The game isn't going to be perfect and there are going to be looots and lots of issues. Graphical pop-in, texture issues, water rendering, hell, maybe Geralt's beard won't look great in moonlight.

My issue is that the more we piss and moan, the more we create a forum community that seems to be complaint-heavy. Especially amusing as the game isn't out yet, but equally tiresome after the game -does- come out.

Look. For the price of any other video game, we're going to get this beautiful, well-written, gameplay-fun, content-laden video game experience. There is very little NOT to be happy about at this stage. You'd have to work hard to find something to complain about. After release,when the game can't run because it's futzing with your HDD or because the mouse smoothing sucks so hard even Drowners are deadly, then, yeah, complaints.

But EVEN THEN the game is still going to be a glorious paean to our shared hobby and a modern masterpiece.

Of course, I -am- a Moderator and, more importantly, a big fan of CDPR's past work, so I am prejudiced as hell. In three weeks, though, so will all of you be.

OR ELSE MASS PONIES FOR ALL.

@caspartine That is a good way of thinking and i think you are right. All the recent accounts yelling downgrade are ridiculous.

35 minute gameplay has been out since last July or something. We haven't been kept in the dark which is really what matters to me.

The "downgrade" issue comes not because people think the game suddenly looks like crap, but that because either a) they are rabble-rousing for fun or b), more commonly, they feel they aren't getting what they were "promised". Note I put that in quotes, since a promise is a whole lot different than images and videos released during the development of a work. There is a whole subtext of "victimization" on the suspicion that the game was reduced from what it -could- have been to appease console buyers, either because the game could then run on the "inferior" console platforms or because they would be jealous of our natural PC superiority.
But can we really blame them for being suspicious after the blatant bait-and-switch tactics that some publishers seem to be adopting in the games industry? Watch Dogs is one of the more recent examples that has led to widespread cynicism.

I think that while character models have definitely had an upgrade, the environments and especially the lighting are not at parity with what was shown earlier. The most likely argument is that the developers chose optimization and performance over aesthetics, which is fine. The problem is, like I mentioned earlier, is that there has been no official word on this.
My issue is that the more we piss and moan, the more we create a forum community that seems to be complaint-heavy. Especially amusing as the game isn't out yet, but equally tiresome after the game -does- come out... But EVEN THEN the game is still going to be a glorious paean to our shared hobby and a modern masterpiece.
While I personally agree with your statement, I would like to add, with respect, that we too can not definitely say so until the game is out. The previews and the videos have been released to provide people a chance to assess, and arrive at a decision about purchasing the game. Keeping that in mind, I do not think people are overreacting by indulging in criticism before the game is out.

Witcher 3 parity marketing on Gamespot interview

Minute: 5:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fihCd2M9ZwM

So finally I see a official video when some developers state this injustice parity marketing. The Three version looks the same.

Pc only 60 fps + 4k and gameworks? That is the exactly what most shitty port games where doing over these years! . I'm very disappointed . Same game with a few teaks.

I play in ps4 too. I think is great for Ps4 players enjoy this game

But is unfair for someone who build a expensive machine to be attached with the same settings. Seriously this gameworks marketing Is.embarrasing

Cd projekt you stabbed pc gamers.

Last edited:
I get that people are suspicous after such desasters like Watch dogs etc

But honestly there are hours of Gameplay out right now. Everyone has all he or she needs to decide wether to buy the Game or not. You can clearly find out how the Game looks for real...

But people are inconsequent and instead of saying "i dont like it i wont buy it" they moan and bitch about things about a Game that has gone gold.. its too late... It is what it is... we all have to live with it.

Also what really annoys me is how adamant some are holding on to VGX Graphics.... why wont people understand that this was BEFORE PS4 and XO where relaesed? CDPR as many others propably thought there would be a simmillar performance increase as it was from PS2 to PS3.. but there wasnt..

As soon as the new consoles were released they must have realised "Fuck there is no way in hell we can get our current version to run on those consoles" ..so since ditching the Consoles all together and going PC only would have been financial suicide... the only way to go was to rework the Game so the new consoles could manage it.

Its unfortunate for PC Gamers but the reality remains that Consoles rule Gaming... and since VGX Graphics will propably never be achived on a PS4 or Xone,..

well i cant understand why people honestly think the VGX build had survived somehow... it was shot dead at the release the new consoles.
Its long gone... let it go already..

For me the foliage is a bit of a let down, looks good, but used to be better. Couple of things I hope:

- Redkit comes out fairly quickly, and modders make the necessary adjustments
- Ultra settings on release improve the draw distance.

I personally bought a Titan X for this game, many have bought 970's, 980's, SLI, top end AMD cards. Would be great if there was settings/sliders to push these cards harder.

Minute: 5:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fihCd2M9ZwM

So finally I see a official video when some developers state this injustice parity marketing. The Three version looks the same.

Pc only 60 fps + 4k and gameworks? That is the exactly what most shitty port games where doing over these years! . I'm very disappointed . Same game with a few teaks.

I play in ps4 too. Is great ps4 gamers will be able to play this game.

But is unfair for someone who build a expensive machine to be attached with the same settings. Seriosly this gameworks marketing Is.embarrasing

Cd projekt you stabbed pc gamers.

I'm struggling to get any understanding of what you're trying to say here. Perhaps you could calm down and explain how you got from that video segment that PC gamers are somehow being screwed just because they said it looks great on consoles and because the person showing the reviewer around asked his team to set it up for visual parity, which presumably meant it wasn't set that way beforehand.

Because otherwise, this reads very much like trolling.

Last edited:
Really when i look at most of the post i just cant't understand the people. We are talking about downgrades, improvements and whole visuals, but we don't understand each others.

First WHAT IS DOWNGRADE? If i ask this everyone will answer me different answer. Some of them will say 'if there is any little thing pushed back, this is downgrade of that thing'. Another will say 'we can talk about downgrade only when everything is downgraded like watch dogs'. And another will say 'even the color pallete changing is downgrade'. Really this is what i see from this discussion. And thats why we will never get proper answer for our question. First we must fix this.

So we need to understand the difference between meanings of this 3 word: downgrade, upgrade and change.

If one man says that there is downgrade and another says that no it is just changed and this is normal, then when that person says that this is upgrade first man can say that no its change. And this is infinite loop.

Second: We must understand that there is some aspects that we cant understand if there is downgrade, improvement or not any difference.
For example Lighting Nobody can tell that lighting downgraded or improved. We can talk about this only when we see BIG DIFFERENCE. Like Dark Souls 2 But here we don't see this kind of difference. Because LIGHTING depend on million things.
Instead of that we can 'tell this scene does not look as good as that scene'.
1. TOD.
2. Weather condition.
3.Color pallette
4.Direction of our view. And etc.
And because of that the lighting can change it's 'quality'. But overall quality must be still same.

Instead of that we can talk about the textures, draw distance, LOD, models.

And another problem, When we see the any difference, we must understand why is that first and we must find the reason of that difference.

For example the last comparison picture which shows us wild hunt killing the villager. On his leg missing the fire reflection. And many of us called it as downgrade. But actually the reason of that is the fire is far from that metal part in new picture. I made a little post about this difference and tried my best to explain everything what i saw in it.
Another example i can tell: in PBR rendering there is fresnel reflection. Which means that reflection value depend on our view angle. If we look at something from 90 degree angle we will not see any reflection on some materials. But if we will look under 20 degree wee will see the reflection on that material. So who doesn't know that will probably tell that there is downgrade now.

But about my opinion: i think of course there is both. Improvement and downgrade and artistic changes. For example. LOD is reduced or downgraded. Can't tell this about draw distance. Because when LOD is reduced it makes illusion of reduced Draw distance. But we can see from VGX picture comparison that the castle in distance is still there. But the details of houses in village is reduced. And the trees LOD is terrible 2d too. But we can still see all objects there. But in VGX the trees was still 3d in distance.
So this means the LOD is reduced. But Draw distance almost same. And we can still see the point of interest in distance. May be in bad LOD quality but we will see.

And I can't see any improvement after SOD trailer except models quality.If somebody see please explain me.

And now i will tell what was in game before and cut or downgraded now. And this is my opinion. May be i am wrong.

1. The dust particles while horse gallop.
2. LOD quality.
3. Textures on some objects.( may be this was sharpening filter)
4. Volumetric things
5. fire effects.( animation of fire is not same as before. now we can barely see the frames, now is not smooth as before.)
6. Head turning while walking.
7. Blood splashes.(may be bug and fixed in final build)
8. Geralt's hair when hairwork is enabled.
9. Grass, trees quality.
10. Not sure 100 percent. But the materials have changed after SOD trailer too i think. For example the buildings are not white anymore and not only color the shaders are reduced too. I noticed it a few times. For example in last 4 minute trailer we see the Novigrad and the building materials are not as good as it was in SOD trailer and in 35 min demo. But again i am not 100 percent sure. May be it because of TOD again. I mean materials can look different in different TOD
11. Not sure again but i think the light does not illuminate the far distance anymore. I mean in every old picture we could see the distance illumination. But can't see this from latest footages.

There is improvements too. But not as much as cuts and downgrades. And many things are same still.

And there were moments which i overreacted too, and apologize for that from DEV team and forum members but it's because i want to see this game in best condition. And really really really this is only game which i will play after almost 1 year.

Trolling is usually provocative... this is just naff.

I'll believe stuff like this if and when we have the game in our own hands.

yep, i thought we were getting the awesome bottom shot. no.. we are getting something tht looks no where near it. We rip ubisoft to pieces for doing this its bullshots.. where its not gameplay it cg made to look like footage.. very very disappointed.. The consols have killed the PC version by holding it back.

---------- Updated at 09:17 AM ----------

I get that people are suspicous after such desasters like Watch dogs etc

But honestly there are hours of Gameplay out right now. Everyone has all he or she needs to decide wether to buy the Game or not. You can clearly find out how the Game looks for real...

But people are inconsequent and instead of saying "i dont like it i wont buy it" they moan and bitch about things about a Game that has gone gold.. its too late... It is what it is... we all have to live with it.

Also what really annoys me is how adamant some are holding on to VGX Graphics.... why wont people understand that this was BEFORE PS4 and XO where relaesed? CDPR as many others propably thought there would be a simmillar performance increase as it was from PS2 to PS3.. but there wasnt..

As soon as the new consoles were released they must have realised "Fuck there is no way in hell we can get our current version to run on those consoles" ..so since ditching the Consoles all together and going PC only would have been financial suicide... the only way to go was to rework the Game so the new consoles could manage it.

Its unfortunate for PC Gamers but the reality remains that Consoles rule Gaming... and since VGX Graphics will propably never be achived on a PS4 or Xone,..

well i cant understand why people honestly think the VGX build had survived somehow... it was shot dead at the release the new consoles.
Its long gone... let it go already..

So why should the PC version get nerfed because of consol players? The Witcher was born on the PC. They should of kept the quality and let the consol players have the best they could. Tough if they could couldn't handle volumetric clouds.. dont take it out on the 2-3k pc's we all invested in because the speak n spell consols cant handle it.. furious.. if the PC dosnt look like some of the amazing pc screens we have seen my BIG support for CD will be gone.. seriously. ultra footage gameplay by youtubers personally has be meh.. not 10% as good as some the screenshots. no particles, no dust, fog everywhere, no smoke.. pah.. looks like we got bullshoted or nerfed for the sofa crowd.

What he is saying is they made all 3 look the same.. thats why he PC version no longer has the aded effects.. The consols would not be able to run it. and they wanted them to all look the same.. hence the PC got ripped of all its goodies.. smoke, particles.. fog everywhere.. we got nurfed... :( so having a 3k PC is pointless we might as well get it on ps4 and have the same experience.. our powerhouse grx cards are not needed...

Because it wasn't. The game that's being sold to you is delivering every bit of performance the developers can squeeze out of the best PCs you can buy. If you blew three bills on your PC in the belief that they would cater to you alone, you need to understand that you could not buy the game you imagined you were getting for even more than that PC cost you.

I think too many PC gamers have this idea that consoles are piddling little machines. They're not. You can't build a PC that performs like a PS4 for anything like the price of a PS4, and they can do everything a PC can do except waste time running WDDM and Windows in the background and waste time and memory shuffling resources in and out of VRAM.

Same game, scaled down effects on the consoles. Exactly how any developer committed to delivering the best possible game on all platforms should do and has done it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom