The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oooh! Both excellent. I'd like to try to replicate both, now. Without using filters, of course. Probably too easy then. I'm thinking 4K, of course, Ultra everything and...morning and dusk?

Lol, I wish you good luck then (a big one) because filters aside those screenshots are prime examples of superior lighting/reflection (Global Illumination I guess), higher LOD and more draw distance. I think you can get better foliage quality at 4k but lighting has been changed so not so sure about it. Still I hope you succeed, I'll also try.

Lol, I wish you good luck then (a big one) because filters aside those screenshots are prime examples of superior lighting/reflection (Global Illumination I guess), higher LOD and more draw distance. I think you can get better foliage quality at 4k but lighting has been changed so not so sure about it. Still I hope you succeed, I'll also try.

Yeah. I remain optimistic, for a couple reasons:

1) I see devs in the moderator-only-you-people-are-scum-you-can't-see-what-we-say-about-you-ha-hah-ha-forums. No, not often, I think they are busy or something, ( plus they never actually talk to me. It's because I'm smarter, yes),but yeah, they show. And if I lose my bet, I plan a long and ruthless campaign against their piece of mind. What's Polish for "wet willy"?

2) I'm playing Watch Dogs, stock, no mods, right now on 4K. And it looks aaaaammmmmaaazing. So good. Early trailer good. Little laggy in cars, still. But smooth. Now, that took a couple months before Ubi cleaned up their act but the game looks great.

So if Ubi can make it happen, CDPR -will- make it happen.

So will the game look like the VGX trailer or not? People have been showing the differences for some time now, and it looks like the game did get a downgrade in the graphics for some reason. People have shown 2 different versions of the gate to Novigrad and there was major differences in those, the new version looks a whole lot less than what they have shown in the past.

So has it been confirmed that the game will not look like the best gameplay sections that CD Projekt has shown us in the past?

I must be bored as fuck, I'm still in here.

Same here :)

Okay, Marcin is pretty cool. He thinks I'm nuts, but other than that, cool. THEREFOR, it was a live trailer. At the time. As far as he knew. See how many layers there are already? STILL don't trust trailers! What, this is basic consumer advice I'm giving you here.

I understand where your coming from, but the point I'm trying to make is that Marcin shouldn't have made that statement if he wasn't sure in it's authenticity. You are telling me to stop trusting trailers - I will :) - but the problem is that we were given assurance to trust in it.

When you have a $5000 computer running a $1000 monitor AND they engine they used to make that trailer and STILL cannot replicate it, then, yeah, that sounds liek they made shit up. We don't have those things! We -don't- even have the game yet!

The original Crysis and TW2 both required machines that did not exist at the time of release. Look how well those games stand the test of time. Something the W3 deserved (intentional past tense) as well, don't you think?

As for constructive criticism, that's really hard to get in pagesand pages and PAGES of angry posting with words like betrayed, lied to, backstabbed, downgraded, console this or that...where is the constructive part? What are you going to say that the engineers aren't aware of as soon as the first person posts the comparison between the VGX and that horrible reddish shot? I mean, everything after that was redundant. Criticism has not only not been lacking, it's been frothingly, droolingly, red-eyededly apparent. Message. Received. However, that criticism has also been clumsy, lacking in data, and polluted by prejudice against platforms, control schemes and viewing distances.

It was not lacking in data in it's entirety. Unfortunately you are right about the rest. It was just my fear that the reaction to that criticism disuaded anyone attempting real constructive criticism in the future. I'm gong full hyperbole now, I know, but maybe this entire backlash can be a giant constructive criticism - I sincerly hope that the REDS learn lesons from this and the marketing for CP2077 and future games doesn't include any equivalent of a VGX trailer.

Our community manage isn't infamous - he's famous. Famous for his warm, loving embrace. Hugs for all!
One of them certanly is :D

Lastly, "many in the community" is, probably, about thirty? Tops? Who post their anger all over? And say another...120 that don't? That is many...but compared to the many who avoid these threads like the plague they are, still a teensy minority.
Well, you're guessing, but even if your right, look how vocal the minority is - two threads about the issue already locked, and a third underway, with no downgrade in the name if I may notice. There are those of us who genuinely care about the game, that's why we bitch about it.

CDPR hasn't strayed from anywhere they didn't already plan to go. Probably.
Being ever the sceptic, I'll say that i agree, unfortunately.

So has it been confirmed that the game will not look like the best gameplay sections that CD Projekt has shown us in the past?

It...has not been confirmed. I'll save you the MANY PAGES OF ANGER:

There are visual issues with some of the trailers and images released to date. Some minor, some not so minor. Devs have said we will be able to reprodue trailer-quality, but have -not- said when ( I.e. after Ubersampling?) or how ( a $5000 machine? 6 FPS?).

So it's up in the air. I will tell you, frankly, from previous releases that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY you will get that level of quality unless you have a crazy skookum machine to run it on. And even then, well, we'll see.

It -has- been confirmed the game still looks really damn good. How damn good is up to you, ONCE YOU ACTUALLY PLAY IT.

It...has not been confirmed. I'll save you the MANY PAGES OF ANGER:

There are visual issues with some of the trailers and images released to date. Some minor, some not so minor. Devs have said we will be able to reprodue trailer-quality, but have -not- said when ( I.e. after Ubersampling?) or how ( a $5000 machine? 6 FPS?).

So it's up in the air. I will tell you, frankly, from previous releases that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY you will get that level of quality unless you have a crazy skookum machine to run it on. And even then, well, we'll see.

It -has- been confirmed the game still looks really damn good. How damn good is up to you, ONCE YOU ACTUALLY PLAY IT.

The problem with that is we have seen the Youtubers videos of the game from that event, and they stated they were playing on Ultra settings minus hair works, and even then that did not match the trailer quality of the game. So to me that means what we saw from those youtubers is what we are getting as the highest, which is not to trailer quality.

We hear one thing from the devs, but see something else on Ultra settings. so confusing.

Same here :)

I understand where your coming from, but the point I'm trying to make is that Marcin shouldn't have made that statement if he wasn't sure in it's authenticity. You are telling me to stop trusting trailers - I will :) - but the problem is that we were given assurance to trust in it.

Of course. And here we come to the crux of the matter and why I said "insufficient data". AND WHY REDS DON'T POST OR EXPLAIN SHIT, frankly.

We just don't know the details. Marcin has no reason to lie to you - there is no doubt W3 looks great, is going to sell like hotcakes and he is going to but a Porsche. Or whatever. Does CDPR do profit sharing? No idea.

So why would he lie? Highly unlikely - he's not -in- marketing. Tee hee, Marketing guys. I love you. No, really. Why would I lie?

Was he correct at the time? Well, he was probably actually playing it. Yes, I know! I hate him too. And then he asked an engineer and was told, "that's the idea!"

Which it was.

Fast forward a loong time and of course things have changed. Ever been in a product development? I have, a couple times. Things change a lot.

So, you have two options here:

1)Don't make claims, let your media do the talking and like Blizzard, say as little as possible until the product is on the shelf. Works for them!

2)Lots of communication with your vocal minority market. And, yes, we are a minority. Check the posters versus the, what, 7 million total sales for Witcher 1 and 2? But, a la Star Citizen and Pillars of Eternity, they could go the waay more communication route.

That's the route we, the entitled vocal minority would like, but it's not the route they chose. They went with more of a traditional approach - talked occasionally, answered some solid Q+ As and let the videos show what they had.

We're upset because some of us really decided we'd be playing that trailer. I might have a shot at it with my ridiculously expensive system ( still running an OC i5 though!) and even I will be surprised.

We hear one thing from the devs, but see something else on Ultra settings. so confusing.

It is. Don't preorder, wait for the game, then see. Kind of bugs me you can't preload WITHOUT a preorder, but security is security.

Again, remember those trailers will have been optimum resolution, optimum hardware, you name it. Youtubers are just playing.

"Skookum"

always good to learn a new word, especially one so funny sounding.

Frankly, being that this is a thing that is catching wind on forums like Neogaf and Steam maybe they should comment or something.

I have just one stupid question about this thread, a question adressed to the regulars of this forum. Since this thread is all about saying that the game is pretty ugly now (that's not my opinion), and that CDPR are (I exaggerate) liars and bad game developpers, why are there no Reds to intervene ? From what I know, they are very close to their fans, is it not embarrassing for them ?

Yeah. I remain optimistic, for a couple reasons:

1) I see devs in the moderator-only-you-people-are-scum-you-can't-see-what-we-say-about-you-ha-hah-ha-forums. No, not often, I think they are busy or something, ( plus they never actually talk to me. It's because I'm smarter, yes),but yeah, they show. And if I lose my bet, I plan a long and ruthless campaign against their piece of mind. What's Polish for "wet willy"?

2) I'm playing Watch Dogs, stock, no mods, right now on 4K. And it looks aaaaammmmmaaazing. So good. Early trailer good. Little laggy in cars, still. But smooth. Now, that took a couple months before Ubi cleaned up their act but the game looks great.

So if Ubi can make it happen, CDPR -will- make it happen.

Well I hope you don't loose then :p

As for me I also remain optimistic though a little realistic as well because in all those old trailers and screenshots, devs didn't ran into any youtube compression issues, hell we didn't even need to download high res versions from GamerSyde because they looked awesome on youtube itself, high vs ultra issues and so on but as they get close to release they are facing more issues themselves producing the quality that they showed before. Now we can call all that initial stuff as bullshots or what bullvideos ? but if this was all marketing then it reminds me of the guy from NeoGAF who claimed that TW3 team is facing crunch time working on the game and their PR created an overblown vision of the game, I guess he was speaking the truth then ?

Well I didn't played Watch Dogs in 4k because I had only one R9 290 back then and I am still rocking a 1080p LED with GTX 980 SLI (yeah lol) but Watch Dogs faced some serious downgrade, I mean it only looked good to me when I installed TheWorse mod otherwise it lost all the glorious reflections (flat lighting), no volumetric head lights, less rain effects on road and whole ton of missing features. When I see GTA V in comparison to that then Watch Dogs looks crap to be honest, they are games of same generation and despite GTA 5 being graphically superior; it runs way better than Watch Dogs, I am running it in 4k DSR and everything on ultra and it still doesn't show any hiccup. Rockstar really showed their technical prowess there just like they did with Max Payne 3.

Last edited:
The game won't look as good as the SoD trailer or the VGX, get that out of your head now. We can only hope that it will look as good maybe even a little better than the E3 2014 demo that was shown. That demo is more representative of the final product, just like all the youtube video's that were shown in the past 2 weeks.

Lol, I wish you good luck then
You are right!
4k DOESN'T save the game graphics:
1080p

only hope that it will look as good maybe even a little better than the E3 2014 demo that was shown
No, it will not. Game won't be look even as good as 35-min demo:
before
after
Foliage - change
Tessellation - gone
Blood decals\splatters - gone
Igni particles (and may be other too) - reduce.

Last edited:
Ah-ha! Three at once! En garde!

why are there no Reds to intervene ? From what I know, they are very close to their fans, is it not embarrassing for them ?

Couple things - first, note a lot of this started because a Red answered a question, once. Kinda makes you cautious. They -are- cautious. As for embarrassing, beats me. If I'd made that game I keep trying not to watch trailers of, embarrassment wouldn't be my emotion. Pride bordering on SINFUL, maybe. Sinful, sinful Reds. Seriously, have you people been watching this stuff? Would you not give your EYETEETH to have helped create it? I would have -happily- given your eyeteeth. Just to start.

When I see GTA V in comparison to that then Watch Dogs looks crap to be honest, they are games of same generation and despite GTA 5 being graphically superior; it runs way better than Watch Dogs, I am running it in 4k DSR and everything on ultra and it still doesn't show any hiccup. Rockstar really showed their technical prowess there just like they did with Max Payne 3.

Okay, I've been tempted to get GTA 5, but I found it so so on the PS3 when it came out. Gameplay-wise, of course, I mean, PS3 graphics. Ugh. It's nice to see Rosckstar got their shit together, but you recall the GTa 4 port? O Em Nurgle. Just crazy bad. Maybe I'll check out GTA 4 when I'm done Witcher 3. Oh, wait, it'll be Cpunk time by then.

That demo is more representative of the final product, just like all the youtube video's that were shown in the past 2 weeks.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but we'll have to see when it comes out and we start pushing limits. I don't plan to mod it, but I will happily edit config files.

Still, as with ALL releases, healthy pessimism is a good idea. Wait'll the first major bugs hit! I'm going to be banning SO MANY of you for swearing. Is that a bannable offence, even? Shit, I'd better check.

@djmedvedd dj, baby. I didn't know you had a copy of the game! And, have you not made ONLY POSTS complaining about downgrade? Do you think, MAYBE your point has been made? Or do you have something, you know, NEW to say?

Yes, I'm well aware that I'm repeating myself. Hypocrisy is an essential skill for a pare...mod. Mod.

Last edited:
And, have you not made ONLY POSTS complaining about downgrade?
Its, just.. This downgrade stuff offends me the most. And i dont know nothing about other game aspects (well, except new ugly inventory) cause i dont want to spoil.
I just like to make comparsion so everyone can see it.
And - no, i dont want to cancel my preorder, i just want my favorite RPG to look perfect (just like it was in 2013-early 2014).

This thread, man.

Its, just.. This downgrade stuff offends me the most. And i dont know nothing about other game aspects (well, except new ugly inventory) cause i dont want to spoil.
And - no, i dont want to cancel my preorder, i just want my favorite RPG to look pefrect (just like it was in 2013-early 2014).

Okay. I get that. It is PESKY. If true. And, as you can see, I'm not saying it's not true. I don't have a copy of the game either. Apparently, selling my soul to My Polish Masters wasn't sufficient. If I get my Sternmeyer M95A in Cyberpunk though, I'll consider our deal redeemed.

But we can't -change- it. We never could.

The reasons for possible downgrade, you all know:

1) Console parity. Well, it's goddamn expensive to run separate engines for separate platforms. Maybe we get a config option. Maybe not. Maybe they don't want to piss off MS by making the Xbone graphics look like real shit. I dunno. Smacks of business and software both - either way, we aren't likely to change it.

2) Simple hardware/software issues. It's a hige world. It's all no-loading, they say. To make it run well-ish, compromises were made. I get that. I hope that's the reason.
But either way, CDPR knows - and has since before we saw anything - that any downgrade will not go unnoticed. So nothing we've said is news to them.

What do we -really- want? We want CDPR to say "Yup! We downgraded it. Sorry, that's how it had to be. Those early trailers turned out not to be feasible when had novigrad up and running. " Or whatever.

We want an apology and clarity.

Well, apologies are funny - especially if you think the game looks great and 90% of everyone tells you the same. Why would you apologise? Because a few people are pissed at you? Save the apologies for after release when the bugs roll over us hardcore.

And clarity...well, attempted clarity got us here. If they'd just released trailers and kept their mouths firmly shut, there would be no confusion.

Keep in mind, donwgrade or not, this is not a HOSTILE action, (that's when I Pony you). It may be a necessary compromise or an unfortunate reality or whatever, but you can bet CDPR would LOVE for you to be playing this in FUll Holovison with Virtual Interfaces. And one day, you will.

We want an apology and clarity.
Maybe, but not me, i dont need they excuses (its console world and we all knew that. <80% sales - on consoles)... for now at least.
Witcher 2 was PC exclusive and that's why it looks gorgeous even in 2015 btw. this graphics perform in 110fps on a single 970 (well, let's it will be a half of this fps on TW3 with this graphics (because of ubmra technology). So what. Its still great performance and great graphic for 2015. We all have sense to make an upgrade for this graphics (not for todays TW3))
What i want, its, as you said:
Maybe we get a config option.
So i can at least manually increase some settings.

And - no, i dont want to cancel my preorder, i just want my favorite RPG to look perfect (just like it was in 2013-early 2014).

You do know that every single game will have downgrade and upgrade here and there in the development process, this is just the nature of software development. You can see some downgrade from pics, but you don't know how much other stuff they have added in since 2013.

At least wait till the game coming out to make any kind of comparison. It is pointless to make comparison now from sources not proving to be from the final game.

What i want, its, as you said: So i can at least manually increase some settings.

Mmm. I certainly hope so.

Keep in mind this significance, though: Ubersampling is not coming with release. Now, that might be worrisome, but it might also mean they are -well- committed to post-release graphical improvement. And that's a good thing.

The trick, though, if you want to improve your own experience of the game, is not to dwell on the negatives. Thaaat we aren't even sure of yet.

Not only does it bring you down, it brings down our community. Everyone picks a side.

I have already picked a side, of course. But that's not why I'm here. NOTHING we say here is likely to affect CDPR incomes or success. They are set.

They are. This game is going to be huge.

But that's not to say what goes on here doesn't have value.

If you bury that value, that perspective of being the most interested consumer, in thousands of angry posts of dubious value, since half or more are repeats on a theme, NO ONE WHO CAN DO ANYTHING will see them.

They will check the first page and a couple more, accurately sum up the thread as being full of angry shitposts and AVOID.

And that's too bad.

So, instead, make your point politely, clearly and HOPEFULLY with something new to add that a Dev might use. Aaaaand then...move on.

Move on. There is lots to see and think about, beyond the possibility of downgrade.

I say this not to make CDPR life any easier or because they are my team. They are my team, but they are also undamaged by threads like this.

I say this because I would like my fellow forum members to be happier with their game and make for a happier community. Mostly, I concern myself with Cyberpunk, but even though YOU PRIMITIVES HAVEN'T INVENTED TOILED PAPER YET, ( disgusting) or penicillin, I remain optimistic there is some value here.

this might sound silly- Assume witcher 3 has the 2015 equivalent of witcher 2 visuals ( ie. can be maxed out only after a few years)

but is there anyone here who will feel O.K if they wont be able to max out witcher 3 ? i mean would a 970 owner be o.k if they play it at medium while there is a low/verylow option for lower cards? just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom