The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
after seeing all this i'm still optimistic. i hope this is going to be one of the best games ever.
game with level of storytelling, combat, exploration etc. that forgives kinda weak visuals.

As I said, it's TIME FOR PONIES.

[Sard Edit: You had your complaint, time to add something or move on.]

[Sard Edit: Guys, either check the thread and see we've already seen this or COME UP WITH SOMETHING NEW. Ish. Newish. If you don't add content in a post, it's rubbish and I get to do whatever I want to it.]

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are saying the same things over and over again...and half of you will not able to run the game on ultra, do you even have a 4k monitor? I personally like the new look and I am sure that CD project will make the game even better with the next patches, cuz they actually READ the forum unlike other developers.

i absolutely share your opinions on that. but there is no denying that quite a few cdpr fans are into graphic. the company has started as a pc developer and gained fanbase for which this subject is important. seeing decline in game visuals can make some people here really doubt.
as i said- im still optimistic. i count on great complexity in game mechanics, story etc and enhanced edition in the future. dx12 maybe...

Last edited:
You guys are saying the same things over and over again

I don't really get that kind of logic. Lets say that people notice something they don't like and they would like to see it changed and lets say that actually 99% people would agree that that particular thing require changing. Do you think that posting only once or twice about that thing will show developers that people would actually like this to be changed? Sure: if one person spams the thread with the same thing over and over it's wrong. But if there are new people coming and voicing their opinion, which is shared by a significant chunk of others as well, which then results in large number of similar posts, then I don't really think that is an issue. In fact I think that then developers can notice that and say: oh wow, there are 300 (;)) people talking about that thing, we certainly should have another look at it.

When i first saw Witcher 3 Gameplay at the E3, i was blown away. Also when i saw the trailers. But i was not hyped, because i expected the requirements being that high i would never be able to play this game within the next 4 (or so) years (because i am a student, and so is my husband, we don't have the money to simply buy a high end GPU yet) When finally the requirements were official, i took a second look. Noticing that i actually CAN run W3 - not on ultra ofc, but rather on medium settings (i5, GeForce GTX760, 8GB RAM...), i watched the Angry Joes Video on youtube and i was blown away again. I wondered first how they were able to make this game run on my system at all - even if i don't match the ultra requirements.

So if there was a downgrade (and it seems likely), they had a reason behind that. looking at youtube videos, i can say the game looks absolutely fine on those "ultra" settings (what will probably make me bang my husband's head against the wall until he drops his encryption password, so that i can play it on his PC that is a little bit better than mine - and he isn't even interested in the game)

I did not even think of compare the game to it's trailers. That is never a good thing, leads only to disappointment. I am part of an era where screenshots do almost always look bad at some point - because once you take the motion away, you have time to just look at every shitty detail, and you will find the ugly shit. I don't like screenshots at all. And i don't expect the game to be perfect. There will be bugs, clipping, ugly textures, collision issues, shitty particles and so on. Because the game is huge, and even if one million people would work on it... anyways.

I understand that this community here is expecting really high standards. Thats fine, but the game hasn't even been released yet. Maybe they will patch stuff later, or add a huge graphics update at some point where you can turn your settings that high that it will melt your GPU. Maybe not.

Okay, I have to sleep or at least go into Suspend Mode.

Anyone posting after this, keep in mind a few things:

1) Don't repeat yourself or, really, anyone else. A polite "I agree" is mostly fine, but lacking in content. ADD CONTENT.

2) Try to add something constructive and vaguely positive, at least mixed in. You don't have to asskiss or feel like you are, but we are are to talk about a game series we all LOVE. Keep that in mind. See widz' post above for an interesting mix of positive and unhappy.

3) Don't fight or take shots at each other - that's my job.

I'll be back tomorrow and I won't delete whatever you wrote - I'll edit it so that it pleases me. And if it was REALLY stupid, I'll go back and change other things you wrote, to boot. And if you flip out about that, you'll get a cool out period and I'll edit MORE of your posts.

It's really quite unfair.

Look, we are here because we want to play this game. It might have been downgraded for various reasons, it might not have. I don't know. I can't fix it.

EITHER WAY, if you turn the community into an unhappy place over it, well, that -is- something I can fix.

So feel free to post. But do it nicely, constructively and hopefully optimistically. Hundreds of angry posts - we get it. Everyone gets it. STOP KIDDING YOURSELF THAT YOU ARE POSTING TO ALERT THE DEVS. They know.

I don't really get that kind of logic. Lets say that people notice something they don't like and they would like to see it changed and lets say that actually 99% people would agree that that particular thing require changing. Do you think that posting only once or twice about that thing will show developers that people would actually like this to be changed? Sure: if one person spams the thread with the same thing over and over it's wrong. But if there are new people coming and voicing their opinion, which is shared by a significant chunk of others as well, which then results in large number of similar posts, then I don't really think that is an issue. In fact I think that then developers can notice that and say: oh wow, there are 300 (;)) people talking about that thing, we certainly should have another look at it.

yeah- it's like a totalitarian system gut in games. some gamers will take everything that developers will give them and they will think that question anything is wrong : P you can see some monsters rising then. big corporations like ea, ubi, acti that don't care at all for players needs or opinion.

Last edited:

Feedback is good, especially when it's conveyed in a civilized and structured way, providing arguments to what has gone wrong and so on.

The issues is that most people that complain just post an image or two, say that they are disappointed, gutted, that they are suffering or some other way to display general discontent without providing much of an argument and this whole thing is repeated again and again, to the point where it just clogs the thread and annoys people and those good well structured posts with good feedback on the matter get lost.

CDPR are watching the forums, so this matter has certainly reached them. Who knows, they may not consider it an issue and are just waiting for the game to be released and people see for themselves that maybe there's not so much to those complaints.

Sure: if one person spams the thread with the same thing over and over it's wrong.

Yes, it is, isn't it?
And we've tried very much to keep these discussions open to allow people to say something new.

But that's the important phrase. "Something new". The developers will have seen all of the 1000s of earlier posts (you do realise this is the THIRD thread discussing such things? Of course you do, you're not a new forum member). If someone re-opens arguments from three months ago, six months ago, they presumably know how old they are. Good forum etiquette expects people to check to see if it's already been discussed before posting. And if they don't know it's old, they should probably check first before getting annoyed about it?

Anyone posting in a user forum should be aware that they're posting to other users, not primarily to the developers. And part of our job, as moderators, is to consider whether posts contribute to the community. Bringing up old issues doesn't usually do that.

And convincing the developers to change their mind? Doesn't that presuppose that there's a choice here? It would be good maybe if people start to consider the possibility that sometimes the "choice" is between having a game that will actually play at an acceptable framerate on PC's of reasonable specs, and a game that won't, and also that some of the features being requested, such as volumetrics, aren't just a question of flicking a switch somewhere and they magically appear.

So yes, posting may sometimes convince a developer to change something. But equally, those posting may need to recognise that sometimes, it doesn't. And that certain kinds of posts attract ponies.

Well many compare the visuals now to VGX and debut, yeah there was a huge downgrade from that but let's forget that part, difference is day and night.
The more pressing matter, in my opinion, is it looks a little worse in some areas than the 35 min gameplay which wasn't as insanely looking like as VGX/debut, but amazing nonetheless and I am 99% sure it has to do with the lightning in the game, it seems to screw up the grass visuals, especially the brighter the day is in the game, compare the grass to 35 min gameplay and you will see it's the exact same grass, just reacting differently to lightning so it's beautiful to look at unlike now where it's almost unbearable and we haven't started playing yet... Same for the fire visuals, it comes from lightning I imagine? could explain why fire and explosion effects look quite bad as well... Something got messed up with the lightning , perhaps bugs? And CD playing it day and night non stop, can hardly notice the difference anymore being used to their game, can't blame them too much. Hope they read this and check out the matter :s

I think it's fine if people come on here and voice their concerns. Obviously most of us are unable to say anything with certainty, because we do not have the game in our hands, but usually there isn't smoke without a fire. The devs have already responded that we'll be able to match VGX level graphics. If that's the truth, all is great. We will know in about ten days.
If it isn't true, however, then people will be understandably upset. It does not matter whether we "should have known" that it was impossible to match that kind of detail. Because frankly that argument is bunk. It can be done and it was done. If it isn't anymore, it's because things were downgraded and players were lied to. Then they will complain and they're fully in their right to do so.
I imagine if suddenly you start getting hundreds or thousands of angry/annoyed posts, and decide to moderate them with a heavy hand - the problem won't go away, it will just migrate elsewhere, where moderators here have no power and where the tone will probably be far more acerbic. I don't think it's in anyone's interest, who wishes the game well, to have that kind of situation develop. Last I checked, games that fell out of player favor did very poorly on metacritic's user reviews and certain companies have earned really shady reputations for themselves on a variety of forums.

But I'm still optimistic. That wall picture with degraded details could be the result of any number of factors. Plus I'm sure CDPR would not want to let down players. So far, every time CDPR is mentioned somewhere, it's almost always positively. As an example to be followed. As the people doing the right thing. It would be a terrible loss if that kind of word of mouth stopped or was replaced with negativity.

I think a lot of details in the videos actually look really good. Then oddly, there is a crappy texture or you notice some very low poly details, but not all the time. I wonder if it's because not everything gets loaded correctly or some other glitch.
Anyway, unless something else, more concrete, surfaces on this topic, I'll refrain from worrying about it. Time will tell soon enough :)

And, to the person whose post I just deleted (I've run out of ponies). It was because of this:

But that's the important phrase. "Something new". The developers will have seen all of the 1000s of earlier posts (you do realise this is the THIRD thread discussing such things? Of course you do, you're not a new forum member). If someone re-opens arguments from three months ago, six months ago, they presumably know how old they are. Good forum etiquette expects people to check to see if it's already been discussed before posting. And if they don't know it's old, they should probably check first before getting annoyed about it?

Anyone posting in a user forum should be aware that they're posting to other users, not primarily to the developers. And part of our job, as moderators, is to consider whether posts contribute to the community. Bringing up old issues doesn't usually do that.

To be honest first time i heard it will look same on all platforms i knew that we have to say goodbye with vgx quality, this is not pc company anymore, and we must suffer through it so consoles can maintain 30 fps. And from what we saw in the latest build we will not get blood fluid splatter system that reacts with water. No more vgx quality of lightning, no same level of textures. We will get (lower) view distance that will mess up with points of interests system. No more natural reaction from geralt ( the whey he turn his head depending on whatever he see in the world), no more dynamic stances while fighting, no dust from runing horses, other fx particles we saw in first trailers, and much more we will be missing. But we can't be certain maybe they all return in the final build but i doubt it. WHEN CONSOLES ARE AT PLAY THE PC WILL PAY ! ! !

Last edited:
To be honest first time i heard it will look same on all platforms i knew that we have to say goodbye with vgx quality, this is not pc company anymore, and we must suffer through it so consoles can maintain 30 fps. And from what we saw in the latest build we will not get blood fluid splatter system that reacts with water. No more vgx quality of lightning, no same level of textures. We will get (lower) view distance that will mess up with points of interests system. No more natural reaction from geralt ( the whey he turn his head depending on whatever he see in the world), no more dynamic stances while fighting, no dust from runing horses, other fx particles we saw in first trailers, and much more we will be missing. But we can't be certain maybe they all return in the final build but i doubt it. WHEN CONSOLES ARE AT PLAY THE PC WILL PAY ! ! !

Their official stance on the matter is that the game will look as good as possible on each platform, but the core game experience will be same across all of them.

Their official stance on the matter is that the game will look as good as possible on each platform, but the core game experience will be same across all of them.

Really then do now 35 minutes footage looks better than last build we saw from youtubers, and i dont even wont to compare it with vgx footage. And please explain me how this version is any better or does it look as good as possible ?

Guys, sorry to say this, i konw it sounds silly , but can we wait till the game is released before complaining?
Why am i saying this?This is a make or break game for CD projekt and they sure will try not to screw it up.
And with the gaming scene moving towards PC again , they sure would not try to drive us nuts.

If there is any compromise in the end let me join you with my pitchfork *PC Master race!!*hehe

Last edited:
Guys, sorry to say this but can we wait till the game is released before complaining?
Why am i saying this?This is a make or break game for CD projekt and they sure will try not to screw it up.
And with the gaming scene moving towards PC again , they sure would not try to drive us nuts.

If there is any compromise let me join you with my pitchfork *PC Master race!!*hehe

I dont wont to complain on final product. I tell myself when time come and Cd project red fuck us (pc players) over because of consoles i will quit pc gaming and start a new with fucking consoles because it is not worth it.

Guys, sorry to say this, i konw it sounds silly , but can we wait till the game is released before complaining?

If there is any compromise in the end let me join you with my pitchfork *PC Master race!!*hehe

You know, we've already seen the game at max settings in its current (well, almost) state, so whether you like it or not, it's not going to look noticeably better than that. Day 1 patch might fix a thing or two, but it won't suddenly make the game look like in the SoD trailer again.

Anyway, I can get past slightly underwhelming graphics, so I'm not going to get my pitchfork unless the actual game turns out to be mediocore (which I doubt).

I dont wont to complain on final product. I tell myself when time come and Cd project red fuck us (pc players) over because of consoles i will quit pc gaming and start a new with fucking consoles because it is not worth it.

Mate , all i am asking you to do is wait till the release to see whether they really F'd us or not.This is going a bit out of topic , but bear with me
Even if you preorder the game , and it was downgraded? at most if you dont play - you lose 60$( i know it is a large amount) . For them - a small polish company-loss of face , loss ore reputation , distrust
TL:DR - they have much more to lose than us

GETTING BACK to the visuals topic

How do you guys think about the blood and steel trailer? it was quite fast paced , i didnot see anything properly. However that draugr looked quite good

any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom