The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
W1 nailed the atmospheric environments in all departments, i remember having a sense of tension walking in streets of vizima at night, dark and wet i just wanted to go in a tavern, and wait for the day time :)

I didn't, I really enjoyed the night, but that is probably because in RL I'm also kind of a "Night-Person" if you know what I mean.

As for the question of the OP, I can only agree with what most people said here. Of COURSE there should be a big variety of moods and atmospheres in different places and different weather conditions. I mean, a sunny day in the swamp might have a more dark and gloomy atmosphere than a rainy day in one of the villages with wide open fields around.

It always depends on context. A swamp is dark and foggy, will probably only ever be a little bit brighter in the morning until noon, and only if it's a sunny day, which might not be there so often based on regions.

Skellige is probably mostly frosty and should "feel" cold and icy, barren and harsh.

Different moods create a contrast and diversity, variety, it makes up the palette of emotions you go through an determines how much you value each place in the world. It shows the world LIVES and has a lot of sides to it.

I loved the atmospheres in the Witcher 1. Hell, I even loved it in TW2, it was different but very well fitted the plot I thought.

They are on a good path with TW3 I think. If there is ANYTHING that they did right from the start and that I did never really see bad quality or concerning impressions/material of during all the trailers and advertising then it is the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Speaking of atmosphere, not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but one of the scans from gamestar clearly shows semi-volumetric clouds floating around a mountain. So they're still in, which is great because the mountain shot in SoD is quite awesome and atmospheric because of them.

I think we will have a nice balance between natural beauty and darkness of the world, the 4k screenshot shows that the game is capable of looking as ''dark'' and gritty as W1 did.

When questioning what tone is most appropriate for a game I think it's required to not only consider the maturity of the narrative but also consider the difficulty of the game mechanics themselves.

A game that is particularly difficult (say... dark souls) requires an art-style that prepares the player for the game's brutal nature. Likewise, when a game is easygoing (or even meant to have an element of immersion) you don't want an art-style that suggests to you that you could get pounded into a pulp by an enemy at any moment.

I expect CD Projekt RED choose an art-style that best suits the pace of The Witcher 3. As an open-world game that is also meant to be immersive, the pace of the game will be determined in a big way by the player and how rapidly they want to complete quests and how often they want to wander off the beaten path and get sidetracked. I expect for this kind of game having a grim-dark art-style would suggest a level of imminent danger that makes the open-world less inviting to explore (unless, of course, you can get pounded into a pulp at any moment whenever you wander off the beaten path.)

When questioning what tone is most appropriate for a game I think it's required to not only consider the maturity of the narrative but also consider the difficulty of the game mechanics themselves.

A game that is particularly difficult (say... dark souls) requires an art-style that prepares the player for the game's brutal nature. Likewise, when a game is easygoing (or even meant to have an element of immersion) you don't want an art-style that suggests to you that you could get pounded into a pulp by an enemy at any moment.

I expect CD Projekt RED choose an art-style that best suits the pace of The Witcher 3. As an open-world game that is also meant to be immersive, the pace of the game will be determined in a big way by the player and how rapidly they want to complete quests and how often they want to wander off the beaten path and get sidetracked. I expect for this kind of game having a grim-dark art-style would suggest a level of imminent danger that makes the open-world less inviting to explore (unless, of course, you can get pounded into a pulp at any moment whenever you wander off the beaten path.)

that is true, though that depends on the game, and the language you use to communicate. in dark souls tone doesn't exactly do this, it does, but that's not really what it is about. design does allot to communicate to the player but not tone or art style exactly.

art style isn't something you really decide on, it is, but its also an accumulation of things, and most of it comes from design rather than an imperative, so you are right but only half right. for instance when a place like no mans land is dark and depressing it is both for narrative purposes and for communication, because no mans land is a place were nature has more of a grip, just like its name it is a place where "no man" is really in control of his environment, and so chaos is supreme thanks the the war. the tone of no mans land also now helps with game play, because it reflects the danger of the area, and you can expect to see many monsters thanks to the chaos, helping the player know that the area is dangerous. this is immersive and is related to game play.

in regard to exploration too, something that looks dark in tone doesn't necessarily mean it will or wont discourage people from going there, it depends on how mechanics are used and how it is linked to the design. you can suggest through darkness that there is mystery, threat and hence adventure, (gloominess or darkness can be just as good or as interest as bright and colorful places can be the opposite) and that might interest the player, or not, it depends what the player is looking to do. darkness can be attractive and devs probably consider that.

so I make the point that art style or tone is not a target, we are speaking very broadly about tone and missing the point. the overall tone and art style is something comes out of the accumulation of element, something we use to describe our experience of them together, but they don't really so much exist as the hole, they do come together to make something but don't confuse the accumulation as the origin of that experience because the experience is the effect not the cause. there are so many ways of creating tone, we shouldn't talk as big and general as light or dark. art styles can be created from smaller parts (especially when they are of quality with a pattern of reasons to determine them), and can still be more or less subtle on the scale of an overall tone through lighting of filters, but more often there are intricacies that CDPR likely constructed, and this creates art style and tone. these intricate parts all do something effecting us on varying levels, greater or lesser. more people are effected by things that effect us physically like through mechanics and rules, and if you are observant it might be visuals, if like story it might be dialogue but when all of its effects come together that you get something that creates these elements we like to describe as a visual style or as a feeling we generally see.

I have loaded all this into a post, and you likely already know it. it didn't really need to be said. I agree with you it is linked difficulty I guess i just wanted to point out that there are allot of things that tone or the art style of the game is tied up with.

I also just want to point out that like the downgrade, we cant exactly make a complete assessment about tone or art style when we haven't played the game, or rather when we know so little about it and have never really experienced it in person. we don't really have enough information, but we can look at what we have, its really good discussion, just so long as we know that what we are talking is not the actual game, but our impressions of it from screens and game play at least till the games released. so when you look at tone in visuals we may miss allot because we see barley any different weather conditions or locations or other elements of the game or when talking about the games overall tone with what we have we don't experience the non visual elements that add to it, and so also miss allot of what could create the games atmosphere.

Last edited:
it's the debate about whether or not TW3 should be a dark, melancholy and grey world, or a more colorful and "fantasy"ish place - Wild Hunt in particular and the franchise in general.

It's not about making the game deliberately gloomy. It's about adhering to a low-key and realistic color scale. The first part was not as gloomy, but The Witcher 3, by comparison, "looks like Disneyland", specifically due to the garish use of color palette. :D

Last edited:
The world (our world) is beautiful, colorful as opposed to brown and grey, yet it contains acts of unimaginable cruelty, poverty, racism, horrible things, we are living in a "dark and gritty" world.

Why should The Witcher be yet another "brow and grey" game/world? To me, The Witcher always been colorful, but set in a horrible world, that's what makes the games "dark and gritty", the people and monsters that live in the world, if the nature looked like ashes everywhere bad people lived then hey we would be in another classic, unnatural fantasy world... I don't get how people always expect a gritty world to look like shit, The Witcher 1 was colorful, not much less than The Witcher 2 or 3, if anything the engine made it look "darker" rather than the style itself.

If The Witcher 3 look like Disneyland then we are all living in Disneyland.

Anyway, just my opinion, I don't want a dark looking world, I think the contrast CDPR makes between the world and the people living in it is absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:
Posts have been deleted. Another reminder that sharing screenshots taken from the recent gamestar magazine issue is not allowed on the forum.

Last edited:
Posts have been deleted. Another reminder that sharing screenshots taken from the recent gamestar magazine issue is not allowed on the forum.

Just curious why not?

---------- Updated at 11:15 PM ----------

Speaking of atmosphere, not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but one of the scans from gamestar clearly shows semi-volumetric clouds floating around a mountain. So they're still in, which is great because the mountain shot in SoD is quite awesome and atmospheric because of them.

I think we will have a nice balance between natural beauty and darkness of the world, the 4k screenshot shows that the game is capable of looking as ''dark'' and gritty as W1 did.
I agree. I think they've done a brilliant job and the game looks fantastic. Maybey they did have to change a few things in order for best performanc/quality but IMO this will be excellent.

This is imo perfect witcher atmosphere

That is how the game will start to look after we play it for 48 hours straight, without a break. But, seriously, very nice art, although not quite my taste for a persistent atmosphere.

Last edited:
This is imo perfect witcher atmosphere

I strongly disagree. This is imho the epitome of a boring and badly designed world that fundamentally confuses environmental themes with narrative themes. You could call that "ideological world building". I'm glad CDPR uses a natural, realistic approach instead in which the natural environments are mostly seperated from what happens in the narrative.

Edit: the pictures are beautiful though. Just not what I personally want for the game. ;)

Last edited:
I strongly disagree. This is imho the epitome of a boring and badly designed world that fundamentally confuses environmental themes with narrative themes. You could call that "ideological world building". I'm glad CDPR uses a natural, realistic approach instead in which the natural environments are mostly seperated from what happens in the narrative.

Edit: the pictures are beautiful though. Just not what I personally want for the game. ;)

there is nothing unnatural in those pics (if it comes to environment and lighting of course)

I also like these pictures, but a game relying completely on this colour palette will become boring to look at IMO. Nothing against a bleak scenery now and then, but I don't want to wade for 100h through a mire of browns and greys....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom