The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
True. Everyone who knows Eastern Europe landscapes in late autumn and during winter will feel right at home here.

Looking at the homepage, events in TW3 seem to start in May.

Also, Romania in Autumn:

Yes, the point is: the world isn't always grimdark or constantly pleasant, so I don't see why anyone would expect a game with a dynamic weather and day/night cycle to be "gritty" all the time. Even TW1 had plenty of colourful vistas, and that game was set in a much smaller and less varied area.

there is nothing unnatural in those pics (if it comes to environment and lighting of course)

That's not the point. The point is that only a very limited part of nature is taken to somewhat visually represent the narrative themes. That's what I call "ideological world building".

Even in winter and autumn, there are sunny days... ;)

---------- Updated at 06:30 PM ----------

This picture was made with a certain intension, to catch an "evening flair". It even looks like some kind of filter was attached to it after wards. But even without the whole scenery would look a lot different at another time of day, e.g. at noon.

My Witcher mood is exactly how Sapkowski described it in his books. That means various, but mostly based on landscape of Poland:

Btw next huge step in open world games should be seasons changing. That would be totally awesome.

---------- Zaktualizowano 19:31 ----------

Oh, and If you want to dive into some kind of a Witcher mood we've got in Poland, you should watch this movie:

https://youtu.be/buJIJz3O9zs

Last edited:
This is imo perfect witcher atmosphere

Oh really? and whats the weather and lightning conditions in all of those concepts?

Look they look great and all, i like them too, and i like the witcher when its grim and terrible, but expecting the 100 hours adventure to look like that at every single second is unrealistic and ridiculous in my opinion.

I prefer realism, variety, contrast, and the pure honesty of nature and the world of the game.

I have to agree with Geralt_of_bsas here.

I mean, yes at some points in the witcher books you could feel the dark atmosphere and all but there are plenty of points where the world feels just so alive and colorful. I expect to see both while playing the game. It's not logical to expect the whole game to look dark, that's not the witcher. I wouldn't want to play The Witcher 3: Dark souls.

I don't mind a somber mood and atmosphere at all, but it's silly to think there's going to be no sun and be overcast all the time. Blood red sunsets, amber sunrises, cold clear wintry mornings will simply make the world feel more dramatic rather than having the game cloudy all the time.

There's lots of beautiful and interesting pictures and paintings about how people perceive the witcher universe. And none of them is correct nor are none of them wrong. It is the old saying: give 100 persons the same book and they will tell you 100 different versions of it afterwards. They will if course be similar but also very different. It is just the way it is. My take when I read it is a dark, gritty, dense and unforgiving world with colorful characters as a contrast to that. That doesn't mean I only think the world is grey, dark and depressing all the time. It is still colorful to me just not as colorful as others. Others have a different take, others a third view.

CDPR have theirs and while it is not representative for how I see the world in my head (in the newer materiel) I have made my peace with it. Maybe in the future mods and ENBs will change it more in a direction I like.

Last edited:
The more diversity, the better imho. ... Of course if it is based in realism. There is good chance, they will achieve it - with dynamic weather system, handcrafted locations, but still grounded. I don't want a repetitive mood and color palette. After all, the real world is dual - ugly and beautiful mingled together as is life. Sapkowski's books had perfect balance I think.

There's lots of beautiful and interesting pictures and paintings about how people perceive the witcher universe.
Acutally I perceive the witcher world pretty much identical to our own world, with all its varieties and different moods. It's kind of weird to think that in a world based on realism and immersiveness there should be only ONE general mood and everyting should be dark and grim. I also don't see why the witcher world should be darker than our own world in general. That makes no sense to me. Again I guess that's a confusion of environments and narrative themes, in pretty much the same way many people seem to perceive the Middle Ages as dark and grim. It's just a psychological fallacy imho, our mind automatically connects environments to human problems. I mean, we even react to wheather symptoms, like being more happy when the sun is shining and being more sad when it's rainy or cold (at least that applies to a lot of people, not to all). But in all honesty, I don't think we should fall for that trope. The effect of dark themes in the narrative is imho even stronger if the world is just natural or even beautiful. Just imagine the contrast of having a great, warm sunny day with a whole palette of bright, summer colors while the abysses of the human (or elven, dwaren, monsterish,...) soul are still lurking everywhere. Hell, that's like real life! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom