The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Acutally I perceive the witcher world pretty much identical to our own world, with all its varieties and different moods. It's kind of weird to think that in a world based on realism and immersiveness there should be only ONE general mood and everyting should be dark and grim. I also don't see why the witcher world should be darker than our own world in general. That makes no sense to me. Again I guess that's a confusion of environments and narrative themes, in pretty much the same way many people seem to perceive the Middle Ages as dark and grim. It's just a psychological fallacy imho, our mind automatically connects environments to human problems. I mean, we even react to wheather symptoms, like being more happy when the sun is shining and being more sad when it's rainy or cold (at least that applies to a lot of people, not to all). But in all honesty, I don't think we should fall for that trope. The effect of dark themes in the narrative is imho even stronger if the world is just natural or even beautiful. Just imagine the contrast of having a great, warm sunny day with a whole palette of bright, summer colors while the abysses of the human (or elven, dwaren, monsterish,...) soul are still lurking everywhere. Hell, that's like real life! :p

Great post and very true. There were a lot of beautiful areas in TW2 - one of these moments was the Elven ruins/bath area near Flotsam. One of the prettiest and most beautiful areas of the game - but so much brutality occurs there- Geralt massacres the bandits trying to smash up the ruins, and later there is the devastating battle people Iorveth's elves and the Blue Stripes, and of course Geralt's first fight with the Kingslayer. However there's also the tender love scene between Geralt and Triss.

The beauty of the place contrasted with the violence and emotions there is a great microcosm of what this thread is about.

@Scholdarr.452

:happy:

LOL. Hilarious!!!

Yes, the point is: the world isn't always grimdark or constantly pleasant, so I don't see why anyone would expect a game with a dynamic weather and day/night cycle to be "gritty" all the time. Even TW1 had plenty of colourful vistas, and that game was set in a much smaller and less varied area.

Exactly that.

More sunlight = more saturated colour is perceived. Well balanced colour palette has a very big impact on how the artwork/game/movie is perceived, also regarding the marketing. And a totally grim and dark game would be tiring and not very attractive for many people.

Witcher 1 had terrible weather for the most part, so it was gloomy, less saturated - which was all great, understandable and realistic. Act IV, though, was very colourful.

I love gloomy, grim atmosphere - but I don't expect devs to force it - especially - in such a big world, with varied landscape, climate and dynamic weather.

My Witcher mood is exactly how Sapkowski described it in his books. That means various, but mostly based on landscape of Poland:

Oh! This How I exactly see it in my mind.. I mean it's how Sapkowski drawn it in my imaginary ...

.and I've never been in Poland nor Northeasten Europe.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Acutally I perceive the witcher world pretty much identical to our own world, with all its varieties and different moods. It's kind of weird to think that in a world based on realism and immersiveness there should be only ONE general mood and everyting should be dark and grim. I also don't see why the witcher world should be darker than our own world in general. That makes no sense to me. Again I guess that's a confusion of environments and narrative themes, in pretty much the same way many people seem to perceive the Middle Ages as dark and grim. It's just a psychological fallacy imho, our mind automatically connects environments to human problems. I mean, we even react to wheather symptoms, like being more happy when the sun is shining and being more sad when it's rainy or cold (at least that applies to a lot of people, not to all). But in all honesty, I don't think we should fall for that trope. The effect of dark themes in the narrative is imho even stronger if the world is just natural or even beautiful. Just imagine the contrast of having a great, warm sunny day with a whole palette of bright, summer colors while the abysses of the human (or elven, dwaren, monsterish,...) soul are still lurking everywhere. Hell, that's like real life! :p

There ain't much point in discussing it because to a degree I agree with most of your points as a whole. Which you can see in my earlier post in this thread. I just don't agree that TW3 is a representation of the real world or a matter of speaking the realities and real world of the middle ages. I have also argued why I think that in my earlier posts. :)

Is it too hard to implement color presets?

Presets with SweetFX settings built into the game: Colorful, Dark, Melancholic, etc.

And just let the user make his pick.

As long as Sapkowski has not described plants inexistent in our world but only monsters and fantastic creatures, landscapes of such world seem more real than fantastic or unreal to me.

Yes. The devs have their vision of the game and that's a good thing. That's called art.

Then they can add a note stating which preset is recommended and the "original vision in which the game was conceived".

How are options bad? People are going to SweetFXit, "destroying" the original vision anyway. Having presets in the game makes it more convenient and fast.

"Polish Autumn"

Places: Milicz, Twardogora, ruined palace in Goszcz.

[video=youtube;j9w0l-lHN2E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w0l-lHN2E[/video]

Thanks to Pawel Blaszczak who is the composer I am missing in The Witcher 3 (he was the main composer of TW 1 soundtrack next to Adam Skorupa)

I cannot understand why CD Projekt RED did not bring him back... It won't be the same without him.

Though crooked forest isn't "nature", as much as abandoned cultivation of timber for ship construction ~ restraining the growth of timber gives 'naturally' grown knees for joining frame and beams. The associated village was destroyed during the C20th.

However, this thread is rapidly becoming a defence of Poland's natural attractions rather than a discussion of the atmosphere of The Witcher world. The result will likely be that people will visit Poland instead of playing their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom