The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
People are acting like the sun is casting some ugly fluorescent glow in all of the Witcher 3 and making the game look like a technicoloured radioactive wasteland which looks like a cross between Frozen and The Incredibles. News flash: it doesn't. Red sunsets are entirely possible depending on the weather conditions, time of year etc. I think it looks pretty and striking. It is obviously not going to happen every night in the game, but it is beautiful and striking and will happen from time to time. I certainly don't think it looks cartoonish.

I agree. Can you clarify where it came from? I'm assuming it was also someone's edit.
This is directly from the video, there's a lot more green in the grass:

No, it's not edited. That screenshots is mine, also directly from the video.
And both screens have the same over-saturated grass. Just your screen has a different position, it is taken a little bit early.
When you look at them you have feeling like grass is floating. It doesn't blend good with the land cause grass is oversaturated and details are lost.

It looks horrible because saturation in this monitor is incorrect.

Not true.
That is my monitor and screenshots.

Last edited:
That picture isn't edited, at least on my pc that visual looks same to me, though i disagree on the oversaturation, i've seen redish sunsets, and high grass with light coloring can get that kind of look.

That picture isn't edited, at least on my pc that visual looks same to me, though i disagree on the oversaturation, i've seen redish sunsets, and high grass with light coloring can get that kind of look.

Only grass that is already reddish can look similar to this, but not like this. Here in this case details of the grass are lost.
This should be avoided in games.

The monitor which the screenshot was taken from, not yours.

?

These screenshots are mine, both. I have downloaded video and taken screens. It's the same screen, but the first one is edited like i said. And that was for facepalm!

Last edited:
Yes, it's called candlelight.

Now I suggest everyone moves in the appropriate thread or I'll have to start... pruning.
Those are overblown candlelight obviously, same picture can look like this
http://postimg.org/image/t6mgimf99/

all I was doing is commenting 15 minutes video
Moderator: Moderators viewed your post, discussed it, and determined it was not a comment relevant to the video, nor was it conducive to free and open discussion of the video. Therefore it was moved to a thread where it was on topic.

I didn't know hollywood invented colour theory and contrasting colours. You can either live with it or not play it instead of becoming the person who gets to define what the Witcher universe 'should' look like.
Hollywood did not invented but has created and started that trend 20 years ago which is also called "cinema dark ages"...

use Google Image tool and type in first movie which comes to your mind and look up the images

Why? So no sunlight allowed in Witcher universe?
Moderator: Do not accuse other members of misrepresenting their arguments or yours.

I am aware of it and how such colour grading came to be but attributing that to "hollywood drama" as an argument is not really helping, it's simple colour theory, contrasting colours look appealing. Some of course go overboard with it.

Guess what, I'm not alone.

http://priceonomics.com/why-every-movie-looks-sort-of-orange-and-blue/
it is not hard to accept other people opinions.
Moderator: And it is also your duty to do so as a forum member, without rancor or accusations of misrepresentation or moderator interference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only grass that is already reddish can look similar to this, but not like this. Here in this case details of the grass are lost.
This should be avoided in games.

?

These screenshots are mine, both. I have downloaded video and taken screens. It's the same screen, but the first one is edited like i said. And that was for facepalm!

just over your post.

How in the name of all that is good is that a good example of how candlelights should look like? O__O Just type "candlelight room" into Google if you have never used a candle in a lightout in real life. I have a picture of me in candlelight in which I look like red as hell.

Where did I say that? You quoted me and I can't see that I said that not even in the quotes.
Well, you know, a sunlight as the beginning of a beautiful day has vibrant colours... So, where did you see those colors not allowed in Witcher universe in the last video? :p

P.S- .gifs are for the kids nhf

I'm really sorry.

Oh post got moved from the original topic, now it has not so much sense, since we are talking about candlelight here and people above me already gave a proper answer.

Last edited:
isn't there a thread already about this? also, to me, the 'old' footage looks way more fantasy than the newer. i'd say from fantasy to realism, tbh.

The arguments here are invalid as always, different sceneries, different time of day... Be assured that the Witcher 3 will have its own dark/gritty environments, the Witcher games and lore are well known for that in particular. Complaining about pretty everything with little to no proofs is prevalent these days and I think it's a lack of respect for the Reds work which is simply astonishing so far.

Last edited:
What the others have said, plus the screenshots are from the old DX9 build, has the same weather and it is during the evening/night.

Last edited:
I knew this thread would come back, so I took the liberty to prepare beforehand. There you go, have some "grit":

Oh wow, when it is night, or there is a storm, it can look gritty huh?.. Interesting :) (The last picture is there to show even if it is day-time, it doesn't always have the yellow sunlight; simply because of the clouds. Although Marcin's 4K shot proves this point better)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom