The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So are you saying that the newer footage looks better than the 2013 footage? To me, it seems that the lighting has definitely changed, and not in a good way. The fire effects also seem to be different, they look more like sprites, and it looks like there are less particle effects than before. This is from 3 seconds of footage.

I say that it doesn't look worse. The fire looks exactly the same. The lightning is different because it's probably a different time of day and I don't see less particle. The fur is gone, because it's a different npc.

Also you can tell that it's Physics Based Rendering now, as the metal on the armor and the sword actually reflects the light that's coming into them; they are not little black holes that absorb the light as before. (Yes, it looks less "cool" and "gothic", but it's more realistic)

Edit: Also, one must say that there is too much gamma in that video. It might be a video render colouring problem as well. As even the shadows look grayish, rather than black.

Last edited:
Also you can tell that it's Physics Based Rendering now, as the metal on the armor and the sword actually reflects the light that's coming into them; they are not little black holes that absorb the light as before. (Yes, it looks less "cool" and "gothic", but it's more realistic)

Edit: Also, one must say that there is too much gamma in that video. It might be a video render colouring problem as well. As even the shadows look grayish, rather than black.

what?

vgx had fire reflections, blood decals on metal and strong dynamic lights, new have only better moving grass

Last edited:

Yup, you are absolutely correct which makes the footage look worse and more vashed out than it actually is.

I admit I liked the atmosphere more in the older material which there is no secret about and I have in this thread and others pointed out and argued about why that is. I defiantly see differences in the terms of colors, art direction, lighting, foliage and so on.

When that is said I also must admit that the game in its final form as we have seen in plenty by now is still very impressive and the atmosphere is still one of a kind. Come now have any of you ever seen such breathtaking visual representation of a dynamic, living and breathing world? I sure haven't and what is more important (to me at least) is that it is actually believable ~ even with the changes.

So instead of keeping on focusing on how it was and dreaming back to the VGX and Debut trailer I now try and take away that the game is still stunningly beautiful, overall vastly impressive, very atmospheric and a milestone in terms of graphics for such a huge open world. And that is to be commended in my book.

Last edited:
what?

vgx had fire reflections, blood decals on metal and strong dynamic lights, new have only better moving grass

Sorry mate, but the new footage's metal reflections seem more realistic to me. Look especially at the sword.

Also, of course the old footage had reflections. Reflections were there even before PBR you know. But the metal reflections look unrealistically dark in the previous footage to me. The new one - although it looks less "dark", that I agree with - looks more realistic to me. Also there seems to be extra light sources in the new footage (look at the blue reflections); maybe moonlight reflecting now as opposed to none apparent in the previous footage?

ok folks.... at this time .... 3 weeks before release.... the last few post can only have 1 answer

Seriously .... complaining about the graphic? This graphic? I don' t know what you all expect how ULTRA with physix and hairworks will look like.... but you will be seriously dissapointed if you think THIS footage we ve seen today looks worse than 2013 footage.

ENDE DER KOMMUNIKATON!!!

yes you read right... thats german, thats how WTF i am about this ongoing bragging how TW3 will look

Last edited:
Witcher amazing old build vs the new one

I take my time to download most of the recent videos on ultra and it see what it looks like

This is a parity textures game with gameworks features. Like hairworks ( killing 15-20 fps enable) . the grass looks like crap and with all these windy environment people think is looks at ultra settings.

The old build was 100% better with grey colors. Tesselation at it best and amazing particle effects with realistic water movements
What happend to the water! Gerald moves ; flat places with no mapping at all

They screw up big time with the Pc version. No matter how well iS optimised to run on a gtx 980

It looks like witcher 2 with new features and happy colors pallets.

All this time waiting for ultra settings and finally to see this

No matter how open the big world is. This is not the graphic game changer many people wating for.

What are your thoughts on the matter. respecting every one opinion like I will do (=

Last edited:
what?

Ok. There are tons of things i want to tell but i just don't want begin. Not about bad things.A litle bad and a litle good:).At first THX to CDProject for this game again.

Now i will talk about only this gifs. And this is my opinion. So may be i am wrong about something.

What is a differences between this 2 GIFs.
1.AMBIENT LIGHTING Both of them are amazing. We can't say there is any downgrade or improvement in lighting because they are totally different. May be downgraded or may be improved. The VGX one is more looks like it recorded from actual camera from real life. But new one looks like a film.
2.TEXTURE We can't speak much about textures. We can only (SURRENDER :) ) see the armor of the wild hunt soldier. In VGX there was more rust and blood decal. But now it is clean. It does not mean downgrade. We can clean our home. We do not downgrade it when we clean. And i can actually see another material (it is not metal at all) on his left leg when he put's his leg on man's spine and light illuminate this part after that. But in VGX trailer there was only dirty metal. This is prove that RED actually added another material to that character, And this is better now. But the RES of texture low now. We can see the new texture more closely after that scene on soldires armor when camera moved to next position. Textures were better before.
3.FIRE LIGHTING We can't see the reflection from fire on Soldire's leg. Because the fire is far from him now. But instead of that there is reflection from moon light on his leg. A bit of reflection from fire too. So there is not downgrade in this part too.
4.PARTICLES We can say that there are more particles in new scene. Actually yes. But only this scene. There is even more particle in bottom GIF from VGX. And i think, more beautiful particles. Better motion blur when moving. For particles i can't say. When comparing GIFs which show same place there is more particles in new one. But even more and even better in another GIF,there is even falling fire from somewhere. I need to see same scene with bottom GIF to be sure.
5.FIRE EFFECT Now, Here i can see downgrade. Not from this GIFs but from actual videos we can clearly see there was more frame in animation. But in new one we can see animation frame by frame. In VGX trailer fire animation was more smooth. This is what was obviusly better before. And we can see the bad fire animation from another youtubers' videos.
6.SMOKE EFFECT In VGX trailer there was more smoke and the fire illuminated the smoke better. Not from this GIF again but from actual video we can see this. This was better before too.
7.FUR EFFECT We already saw the hairwork in action in January build and same kind of fur as VGX when Geralt talked with man in Skallige island. But fur movement was not same as VGX trailer. VGX fur was better million time. Now its not even close. BIG DOWNGRADE about this kind of FUR.:(
8.GRASS We already saw the grass and we already now what is going on.

VGX trailer link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WtIpfwIClQ
New trailer link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R0h_jPY240#t=0m10s

I have to say...I don't like the "blue" lightning at night.
I prefer a more realistic black night. I wouldn't say "pitch black", but something more...dark.

I prefer a more realistic black night. I wouldn't say "pitch black", but something more...dark.

Probably because the blue lighting makes the scene look artificially brighter, whilst in the older footage, it looked like the only thing lighting the scene were the flames, creating a dark look.

I'm wondering if that moonlight is present at every night. Would be odd if that were the case (and unrealstic). The should still be some night that are close to pitch black... I hope.

Edit: Hairwork was disabled only in this part in January fooatge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sil3QCDJACU#t=10m27s

In other parts was enabled. @moonknightgog

In all the sources I read, the entirety of the January footage had no hairworks enabled. tbh before this youtuber party, i think i'd only seen it in Nvidia previews and the 35min demo. Which source stated that it was only a section of the Januray footage that had no hairworks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom