The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is something that is really bugging me, is why the Reds NEVER lets people play the latest version (I assume that the youtuber's footage was released when the game had gone gold) and whenever people point out that it looks slightly worse, they always say that it was an older build like it was an ancient primitive build or something.

I don't understand the behaviour of some people here.
They game is less than 3 weeks aways from being released= no chance for any changes
They have shown several hours of gameplay, so everybody knows how the game will look =they are not trying to sell you a "false" game
So if the graphics is such a big deal for you, then just don't buy the game or wait for the release and watch review or let' plays. There aren't even any pre-order bonuses, so you don't miss anything of you wait.
But what purpose does that permanent whining have?

If there is something that is really bugging me, is why the Reds NEVER lets people play the latest version (I assume that the youtuber's footage was released when the game had gone gold) and whenever people point out that it looks slightly worse, they always say that it was an older build like it was an ancient primitive build or something.

It could be anything, maybe they dont have the time to upgrade demo machines every time new build comes out...

There are builds all the time, when they decide on hosting an event, they pick a stable build some time before the event and use that, they don't wait till the last moment to deploy a version that was just built seconds ago. Some things require preparation and time.
It's the same with the build for the youtubers.

Things are that...actually yeah, foliage looks very badly, compared to the other games. It's not a "downgrade" talk, but more about how those assets are designed.

Looking at this image...on the left.
Leaves seems placed...in vertical. So when I see them, it seems to me like...paper.

Things are that...actually yeah, foliage looks very badly, compared to the other games. It's not a "downgrade" talk, but more about how those assets are designed.

Looking at this image...on the left.
Leaves seems placed...in vertical. So when I see them, it seems to me like...paper.

Where is this from?

Can I just quickly debunk this idea that the developers have to tell us exactly what's changed over the long iteration process of developing the game?

Do you have any idea just how many changes are made you don't even notice because certain areas and aspects of the game were never shown? A lot of it is on a technical level. The developers do not owe us a detailed changelog or an explanation as to why they did their job the way they did it. Games not looking 100% identical over several builds is not something new to gaming or The Witcher, for that matter.

This is what The Witcher 1 looked like in an early build:

Anyone who's played the game will notice quite a few changes.

Same goes for TW2 and its early builds:

Visual, gameplay, story, structure etc. changes are not something new to game development. I understand people are paranoid because of some recent happenings with other companies - a subject that is beyond the scope of this thread. But, please, let's stop pretending that the devs are not allowed to make changes to their product as they iterate upon it.

As for the draw distance comparison, I'd just direct you to Angry Joe's video, where the fog at Skellige is so thick you can't even see the horizon, while Piet Smiet's (I think that's his name, at least) footage shows some quite impressive draw distance with no fog to be seen.

This isn't 2005 anymore.

You make excellent points. I am reassured.

Last edited by a moderator:
People talk about many things. Some are unhappy with the combat system. Others with the Alchemy system. I do not expect the developers to explain to me why they chose to use that one combat animation that I don't like over another.

Also, I disagree there's been a downgrade in graphics, especially with the negative connotaitions that are attached to that word. Visually, the game has undergone changes - that's undeniable, lighting has been overhauled completely; a change some people like and others don't and one that the vast majority doesn't really care about. Volumetric effects are gone, for example, but we now have PBR and more detailed character models in general. There is no downgrade, it's just the game being in development - some things get improved, while others need to be scaled back a bit. It's just the reality of developing a game and seeing work in progress footage.

Well if it was just me and a couple of others I wouldn't expect them to talk about it. There is many things that has me worried including the alchemy system and item scaling, but I don't expect CDPR to explain those decisions. It's just that the perceived downgrade is such a widely talked about issue that worries a lot of fans it just feels disappointing that they wont talk about it.

Last edited:
Hmm. Unplayable is great. Playable is a downgrade?

Perhaps gameplay is more important after all than a slideshow of very pretty pictures.

Quite apart from the excessive use of hyperbole about how dreadful the current graphics are.... to my eyes the world looks entirely convincing enough to absorb my full attention. Is there scope for some improvements? Sure... but not at a hardware investment I can afford.

And we are back to hyperbole... Seriously, discuss to your heart's content. I'm done with this thing. I am - and I'm sure most people in the forums are - tired of explaining the improvements made to the game, since VGX. In a logical manner, we explained these stuff over and over (And yes, there are objective improvements, if you don't just look at a sharpened image and say "Oh look at those textures and foliage"; without actually seeing the low quality that is hidden beneath the sharpening filter. Seriously, look at the foliage at the edge of the screen in the previous footage. Can you see the jumbled mess of visual noise?).

And yes, I myself agree that there are things that's been cut. Some part of the view distance. Volumetric smoke/dust/fog effects. Yes, they are gone. But soooo many stuff is improved. Like LOD: Look at that old picture. Can you see ANY foliage after that fence? It's empty. Like lighting: It's full dynamic now. It's realistic. It doesn't look bland everywhere. Of course to see this you need to actually "watch" several videos from other geographic places and times of day, but that's hard to do I guess... Easier to look at a screen taken from one of the videos. Like models. Animations. And so on. Yes there are things that's been cut, probably because of performance issues. But the game definitely doesn't look like "shit". Everything is definitely "not" decreased. It's not a downgrade. It's a "change". You know, these things happen in a 3-4 year project. Like how it's three times bigger than the original plan. Clearly, nearly all the changes are subjective and come down to tastes of different people. As you can see other people who actually "like" the fact that some things are different (Hallelujah for no sharpening filter). So don't pitch this thing like it's "objective".

Seriously, this is affecting me badly. I don't want to have anything to do with this discussion anymore. I'm out (Seriously this time). I am genuinely sorry if the tone of this message is offensive to some people. I'm just really, seriously, tired of this discussion. This is the last time I'm trying to explain how some of us think differently (as impossible as that sounds, some people do think differently)

I'll drop this here for your judgement. Look at the forest footage after 2:30. I don't know about you guys but that foliage density is definitely not in the definition of "low" in my dictionary (Or you can watch PietSmiet's forest footage as well. Not every place need to have dense foliage you know):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=95&v=pcDDE47lA8c

Last edited:
I admit foliage looks kinda bad in some places (on screenshots, the wind makes a big difference for me), but it amazes me how some people call the graphics "crap" and "shit". I mean, seriously... what games do you play?

Last edited:
This isn't 2005 anymore.

The development of engine graphics has mostly stalled. We can't refer to TW1/TW2 anymore, where each iteration would look better than the last.
The reason? Consoles (and most PCs) don't have the required horsepower to run the game at a high level of visual fidelity. This is simply a result of the current architecture reaching its limits. Each iteration of GPUs released every year are only slightly more powerful, but not enough to make a significant leap in graphical processing.
Game devs have all the tools nowadays to make the game look as good as possible. You've seen those graphics in VGX and SoD trailers. Early builds already look like they'd melt whatever GPU you'd throw at them.

So, the direction has shifted. Instead of making a game look better on every iteration, we start from the top, then downgrade until the game can be run reliably on consoles and PCs.

What we're seeing nowadays are game companies taking advantage of this: they advertise their game with unreachable graphical fidelity for the current tech (TW3, EA Battlefront, Watch Dogs, etc.) then decide to downgrade the game along the way, "optimizing" the game until it runs at 30fps. This has now become common practice.

But it's not right. I don't care for the argument of "art style changes throughout development". It obviously does change to an extent. But here, rather than seeing art style modifications, we're seeing the game being heavily downgraded on a technical level. Whether it's the lighting, the foliage, the textures, the assets, the tessellation, the draw distance (in the case of TW3), etc. If you choose to advertise your game one way and make promises along the way, then you better know what you're getting into. Otherwise, it's 100% fraudulent marketing and nothing else.

There are several problems with your argument.

1. You claim the draw distance has been reduced, when there's no evidence of that. Unless you mean the one comparison shot posted today, where we don't even know if it's actual fog or DD fog - that's not evidence, that's an assumption based on an assumption.

2. You claim CDPR promised there will be no changes to the game's visuals. I don't recall such a statement.

So, what's left is you being unhappy with some of the changes that have been made. And I get that, that's totally fair, just don't make it out as if the company lied to your face or owes you an explanation as to why development works the way it does.

Well if it was just me and a couple of others I wouldn't expect them to talk about it. There is many things that has me worried including the alchemy system and item scaling, but I don't expect CDPR to explain those decisions. It's just that the perceived downgrade is such a widely talked about issue that worries a lot of fans it just feels disappointing that they wont talk about it.

They've talked about it - they said there is no downgrade. I tend to agree, judging by the game continuing to sell rather well, reception by the vast majorty of people to the latest footage being positive etc.

Last edited:
Hmm. Unplayable is great. Playable is a downgrade?

Perhaps gameplay is more important after all than a slideshow of very pretty pictures.

Quite apart from the excessive use of hyperbole about how dreadful the current graphics are.... to my eyes the world looks entirely convincing enough to absorb my full attention. Is there scope for some improvements? Sure... but not at a hardware investment I can afford.
so dont by the game then
just joking man xD

@paulthu

marcin said all scenes can be reproduced to look like vgx/sod
so not like they are ignoring complains

I admit foliage looks kinda bad in some places (on screenshots, the wind makes a big difference for me), but it amazes me how some people call the graphics "crap" and "shit". I mean, seriously... what games do you play people?

It seems that once things have calmed down on the 'downgrade' front, a new user will come and will start the "OMG DOWNGRADE" stuff again.
It seems pointless trying to explain again and again, maybe they should just read the downgrade thread and call it day.

Also judging the graphics quality from the youtube videos can be misleading, those compressed videos blur some of the fine details. I'd really like direct capture footage.

Last edited:
I don't understand the behaviour of some people here.
They game is less than 3 weeks aways from being released= no chance for any changes
They have shown several hours of gameplay, so everybody knows how the game will look =they are not trying to sell you a "false" game
So if the graphics is such a big deal for you, then just don't buy the game or wait for the release and watch review or let' plays. There aren't even any pre-order bonuses, so you don't miss anything of you wait.
But what purpose does that permanent whining have?

Your irritation most likely stems from the misguided notion that people are approaching this particular topic from a rational standpoint. ;)
I could provide further explanations for why certain folks react the way they do, and what I think of that behaviour, but then - judging by former experiences - the moderators would have to intervene in order to maintain a civil discussion. So it's probably for the best to remain silent and keep my thoughts to myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom