The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end of all this issues. I hope for the graphics sakes cdprojekt's give us the choices to adjust the settings to our own likes. Because I want the details. I want to smell my videocard burning working hard for me :p

In the latest footage the vegetation was looking very good. If I look hard enough I'm certain I'll find something to complain about, but I'm happy with the overall looks.

I'm honest with you, I don't see any difference.

People need to stop comparing different resolution shots at different times of day and using it as gospel. Different times of day, different weather conditions will lead to different screenshots.

Additionally using high quality, probably touched up videos from trailers vs gameplay from lower quality YouTube videos will also probably not produce a favourable comparison.

There are several problems with your argument.

1. You claim the draw distance has been reduced, when there's no evidence of that. Unless you mean the one comparison shot posted today, where we don't even know if it's actual fog or DD fog - that's not evidence, that's an assumption based on an assumption.

2. You claim CDPR promised there will be no changes to the game's visuals. I don't recall such a statement.

So, what's left is you being unhappy with some of the changes that have been made. And I get that, that's totally fair, just don't make it out as if the company lied to your face or owes you an explanation as to why development works the way it does.

Right. There's no point in debating this. You've convinced me.

Last edited by a moderator:
My girlfriend says these are old builds and things will be even better at launch.
HaaHaa.. what does she know, but maybe she's right :)

Your irritation most likely stems from the misguided notion that people are approaching this particular topic from a rational standpoint. ;)
I could provide further explanations for why certain folks react the way they do, and what I think of that behaviour, but then - judging by former experiences - the moderators would have to intervene in order to maintain a civil discussion. So it's probably for the best to remain silent and keep my thoughts to myself.
I just find it completely pointless at this point. I understood the "downgrade thread" after the elder blood trailer. It indeed looked significantly worse, we didn't seemuch gameplay at that time and there was still enough time to improve the graphics if needed. So I understood that people where worried and wanted to discuss the issue.
But now, less than 3 weeks before release? The game has gone gold, we have seen several hours of gameplay in the last days. This is how the game will look.
Not happy with it? Don't buy the game or wait for let's plays if you are not sure, but the pointless whining won't achieve anything. ( and yes I consider it as whining if people write the game looks "bad", "horrible", "ugly" and so on)

Not surprising really with only a few weeks left. Only thing that irks me is that they didn't flat out tell us it was downgraded and beat around the bush (My guess is to avoid bad PR). It leaves a bad feeling since we were told we would be able to reproduce that early marsh screenshot that is being posted around and that ultra settings were not being shown until release date since it would be a slap on the face which got peoples hopes up. Though this is another kind of slap in the face so it wasn't exactly lying. I see a lot more people now going from "there is no downgrade" to something else such as "the game was downgraded since no computer can handle" it or "it's a new art direction" and that's more than enough to at least convince me that slowly but surely people on both sides are realizing that we won't be getting the game we saw in the initial trailers in terms of visuals.

Last edited:
For real, most of us ought to know by now that shitty ass youtube videos and even high quality still frames can do no justice for this game.
I'm sure most will be really pleased at launch to witness the true magic of this game in motion.
You have to know by now that this game is going to RULE, it is the EXCEPTION. :)

Last edited:
There are thing worse than before that's a fact and things better. You should accept that and move on seriously.

Foliage is less good now? Yes
Draw Distance is better? apparently
Does it look like SoD? Not at all. But is it worst in terms of quality? Who knows the ultra vid is ugly we can't see a thing because no one seem to be able to give uncompressed video !!!
Models are better? Yes
Is there some technical failure now and then? Yes ! So what?
Draw distance limited because of console? No one can know so move on about that.

Don't get why the downgrade talk comes back. The ultra video barely does look better than GDC vid because compressed as hell (and by the way the witcher is the only game I know who suffers so much artefact compression wonder why)

Not surprising really with only a few weeks left. Only thing that irks me is that they didn't flat out tell us it was downgraded and beat around the bush (My guess is to avoid bad PR). It leaves a bad feeling since we were told we would be able to reproduce that early marsh screenshot that is being posted around and that ultra settings were not being shown until release date since it would be a slap on the face which got peoples hopes up. Though this is another kind of slap in the face so it wasn't exactly lying. I see a lot more people now going from "there is no downgrade" to something else such as "the game was downgraded since no computer can handle" it or "it's a new art direction" and that's more than enough to at least convince me that slowly but surely people on both sides are realizing that we won't be getting the game we saw in the initial trailers in terms of visuals.
I'm crazy optimistic, I'm convinced we are getting something that looks and plays way better than what we saw in 2013.

For real, most of us ought to know by now that shitty ass youtube videos a even high quality still frames can do no justice for this game.
I'm sure most will be really pleased at launch to witness the true magic of this game in motion.
You have to know by now that this game is going to RULE, it is the EXCEPTION. :)

During the first DOWNGRADE thread... I watched the best quality YouTube video (I could find) of W2... then I played it on my computer.... The difference is staggering... how can one draw any 'definite' conclusions based on YT video is beyond me... But what do I know... plus I wear glasses :p so everything's possible...

Last edited:
During the first DOWNGRADE thread... I watched the best quality YouTube video (I could find) of W2... then I played it on my computer.... The difference is staggering... how can one draw any 'definite' conclusions based on YT video is beyond me... But what do I know... and I wear glasses :p
Exactly! lol.. it's beyond me bro ;)

I think 12-18 months worth of hardware increases (or twin titan-x's or something), plus a sharpening filter, plus sweetfx for some color changes, and a couple of draw distance tweaks will give even the harshest critics exactly the game they want.

But let's be honest here, assuming that the redkit comes out fairly quickly, and that it's useable, this game is going to be the 'Skyrim' of the next 5 years or so.

Mods and hardware advances are going to take what might be arguably one of the best rpgs of all time (we'll all find out for sure), and in a few years, we'll look back on the VGX trailer and just laugh at how it doesn't stack up to the game we are playing now. (For some people, it already doesn't.)

When i think of the Witcher I think of our (England) wet marshes and bogs, fog rolling through the trees, dark blues and greys. up on the moors at dusk with an american warewolf in london vibe.. dark mysterious.. foreboding.. the early screenshots had this feeling. The new ones seem to of taken the evil feeling away and turned it into a mmo. I am disappointed but if sweet fx or other post effects can bring back that dark dank England of old. I will be very happy. The atmosphere dsont seem bleak anymore, its all too happy and nicy nicy.

Dust. fog, particles reduced for consoles?? Have we been consolnurfed again??

Yeah. About that England.

See, those areas are only foggy and grim on foggy days. On a sunny day they are still pretty. There are wild flowers in most wild areas, foliage is lush and green (unless we are having a very dry summer (or it has snowed in April)).

While dark and spooky times and places are dark and spooky, they really aren't at other times.

Having said that, even lovely woodland wanders become less 'funny-fun' when it is pitch black, partly because it is the middle of the night a mile away from the nearest house, in the middle of a wood with overcast skies and raining hard enough you can't hear anything except water... Could barely see my hand in front of my face, got the wettest it is possible to be... and didn't wander too far from the path I was theoretically following.

It is all situational.

Our gameplay of 200+ hours will equate to around 2 months of in game time... which is plenty of time to *need* the full gamut of conditions at most areas, if not all.

Why no chimney smoke anymore? that was very cool and made the villages feel lived in when its raining. Its things they take out form the trailers bit by bit. i honestly think its because of the consols holding the PC back as they want them all to be similar... :(

2 Graphical issues I've noticed in the videos...

When I look at TW3 the vast majority of the graphical qualitys look astounding and makes for a very rich and detailed environment and atmosphere. But there are 2 things that I've noticed that look very odd and breaks immersion for me.

The foiliage: While the foliage looks nice and dense it looks very bright, and has a washed out look, it looks as though it came from a water color painting. The problem is that it is not consistent with the more realistic graphical approach such as the tree bark, armor, water etc.

The second problem I see is the continuous fade in/out of objects that are behind/close to you. I'm not sure if that is for optimization or an design choice. Nonetheless it breaks immersion. The issue is really due to the objects fading out/in prematurely and it really takes me out.

All in all, TW3 looks super immersive and this is why those things really stand out to me. Is anyone else noticing these things and would like to see it fixed in a later patch?

P.S. I am judging my opinions from the latest youtube gamplays from the personality's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom