The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for this rudeness, buy may I kindly ask, what happened with the change. I really did expect the ULTRA setting to be a game changer!

No offense but then you where a bit naive..

Everyone who has played PC Games for more than a year should know that while High to Ultra can be a nice jump in terms of physics,Shadows,Draw Distance and even some Textures... it still will no matter how much a dev tries still look only 10% Better than High... not 50 or 100% that will never happen.

The generall Graphics are there even on low settings... thats the base line.. with each step up in the settings you add to that baseline.. but you wont get a totally different Game.

Also to everyone who complains about the foliage: It looks good to amazing while in movement.Mainly due to the great wind simulation. Only if you stop the Game..or take a Screenshot it looks worse.

So what is The Witcher 3 to you? a Screenshot Generator or a Game you want to loose yourself in?

Its 3 Weeks to go and people still scream downgrade?? i cant believe it...
Are so many people out there so fixated on negativity?
If you look hard enough you will find a hair in any soup.....

I'd rather just enjoy things as they come^^... but hey each to its own^^

The second problem I see is the continuous fade in/out of objects that are behind/close to you. I'm not sure if that is for optimization or an design choice. Nonetheless it breaks immersion. The issue is really due to the objects fading out/in prematurely and it really takes me out.
I think those are to avoid camera problems. I would rather have them fade in/out as Geralt moves than the tree being in my face while Geralt dies being eaten by a Ghoul.

I am actually interested in the graphics discussion surrounding the game, and so I'll suggest supporters of the downgrade or worse graphics claims, that they post more valid and good comparisons, not conveniently unfair screenshots that "give you evidence". It doesnt help your point.

Thats for all the downgrade talk, and especially for the latest screens that were supposed to compare draw distance even though they were absolutely ridiculous and absurd.

I think 12-18 months worth of hardware increases (or twin titan-x's or something), plus a sharpening filter, plus sweetfx for some color changes, and a couple of draw distance tweaks will give even the harshest critics exactly the game they want.

But let's be honest here, assuming that the redkit comes out fairly quickly, and that it's useable, this game is going to be the 'Skyrim' of the next 5 years or so.

Mods and hardware advances are going to take what might be arguably one of the best rpgs of all time (we'll all find out for sure), and in a few years, we'll look back on the VGX trailer and just laugh at how it doesn't stack up to the game we are playing now. (For some people, it already doesn't.)

Don't forget a foliage mod.

Shouldn't be too difficult. Witcher 2 has quite a few foliage mods

No offense but then you where a bit naive..
Its 3 Weeks to go and people still scream downgrade?? i cant believe it...
Are so many people out there so fixated on negativity?
If you look hard enough you will find a hair in any soup.....

I'd rather just enjoy things as they come^^... but hey each to its own^^

To me it was never about the downgrade itself, but the fact that they essentially lied. They told us that the visuals that we saw in the debut/VGX/SOD trailers were reproducible in the retail game, or blamed the visual downgrade on youtube compression. As a gamer, and as a consumer, I can't support CD Projekt if they continue lying to me because:
1. I won't know what the product will look like once the game is released, because of mixed messages
2. I don't want to support a company who sells a game based on false advertisement.

The best thing they could have done would be to explain why there was a visual downgrade, and apologize for it. At least there would be less of a backlash.

Pics related:

Attachments

• down1.jpg
    down1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 47
  • down2.jpg
    down2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 50
To me it was never about the downgrade itself, but the fact that they essentially lied. They told us that the visuals that we saw in the debut/VGX/SOD trailers were reproducible in the retail game, or blamed the visual downgrade on youtube compression. As a gamer, and as a consumer, I can't support CD Projekt if they continue lying to me because:
1. I won't know what the product will look like once the game is released, because of mixed messages
2. I don't want to support a company who sells a game based on false advertisement.

The best thing they could have done would be to explain why there was a visual downgrade, and apologize for it. At least there would be less of a backlash.

Pics related:

Look the problem with this "they lied to us" bullshit is that people assume downgrade means the same to CDPR as to you.

They improved Textures,Physics,Lighting quite a bit since VGX .. while having to cut down on foliage mainly because of the "weak" consoles. so... improving some areas while lowering others...... honestly i cant tell if thats what i would call a downgrade.

Its not downgraded as a whole. IMO the Game looks better than the SOD Trailer... so how is that a downgrade?

Sure if you compare everything to VGX of course there was a downgrade... I tell you why.. because it was developed on ultra PCs before the new Consoles where out and CDPR thought they would be alot more powerfull. They had to change some things or they would have to make it PC only and with a 980 SLI as Minimum requierements.

Honestly people... who of those who scream for VGX quality honestly!!! think they have a PC that can run that? Has everyone who sreams here a 3000€ PC? i highly doubt that.

You cant scream for CGI graphics while having a exploding System Requierements Thread where people seriously are shocked why there 8 year old PC cant run The Witcher 3.....

CDPR will never please everybody.... so they choose the middle ground...

Considering how amazingly detailed the world is(i mean actual meaningfull details and NOT Textures).. how alive it looks... i can give a shit about foliage that only looks really bad on screenshots and looks ALOT better in motion

You cant scream for CGI graphics while having a exploding System Requierements Thread where people seriously are shocked why there 8 year old PC cant run The Witcher 3.....

CDPR will never please everybody.... so they choose the middle ground...

Considering how amazingly detailed the world is(i mean actual meaningfull details and NOT Textures).. how alive it looks... i can give a shit about foliage that only looks really bad on screenshots and looks ALOT better in motion

That still doesn't explain why Marcin told us the retail game would look as good as the VGX/SOD trailers. These comments I pulled up really aren't that old, one is from December, and one is from January. They would have known by then what the game would look like.

That still doesn't explain why Marcin told us the retail game would look as good as the VGX/SOD trailers. These comments I pulled up really aren't that old, one is from December, and one is from January. They would have known by then what the game would look like.

Have you ever considers that CDPR just love their "baby" and as every parent think its the prettiest thing in the universe?

Marcin propably was honest.. they did not purposley made the game look worse... in fact they improved lightning,physics etc.. so he didnt lie.

As for the reference that it will look as good as VGX/SOD.... we have to seriously detatch those 2 from another

It DOES look better than SOD in many way. VGX is another story... it was the old renderer and this Version of the Game died that moment the Consoles came out and where basically Low end Gaming PCs instead of real Gaming Powerhouses...

People need to seriously let VGX go... its gone... you have alot of time to grief.... now live with it or just simply dont play the Game.

There are hours of Gameplay out now... NOBODY has to buy the game without beeing very well informed how it looks. If you cant live with how it looks fine..move on buy another Game..

Also since when Graphics where THE prominent feature of a RPG? I grew up playing Baldurs Gate or Diablo or Gothic and those kind of games... Great Graphics help a game... but with RPGs they arent THAT important.

Also people are acting as if it looks horrible overall... from compressed to death youtube Videos..... How do you explain that in those videos EVERY youtuber gushes over the Graphics? always saying how amazing it looks in person? Who can judge that better?? Them who played it? or you from youtube videos?

I wonder...they said that they wanted to save ultra for release.

Maybe this is just a ruse or something lol. Maybe they want to completely shock and blow us away come actual release..and this is some sort of "ploy".

Maybe?

Attachments

• bg-openworld.jpg
    bg-openworld.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 53
Actually..looking back at SOD,the current build looks REALLY close to it. The only thing is that the foliage is a bit less impressive now, and the volumetric effects in the clouds and bomb explosion are gone. It remains to be seen how the reflections are..

Actually..looking back at SOD,the current build looks REALLY close to it. The only thing is that the foliage is a bit less impressive now, and the volumetric effects in the clouds and bomb explosion are gone. It remains to be seen how the reflections are..

And the lighting is better. Swings and roundabouts.

When I look at TW3 the vast majority of the graphical qualitys look astounding and makes for a very rich and detailed environment and atmosphere. But there are 2 things that I've noticed that look very odd and breaks immersion for me.

The foiliage: While the foliage looks nice and dense it looks very bright, and has a washed out look, it looks as though it came from a water color painting. The problem is that it is not consistent with the more realistic graphical approach such as the tree bark, armor, water etc.

The second problem I see is the continuous fade in/out of objects that are behind/close to you. I'm not sure if that is for optimization or an design choice. Nonetheless it breaks immersion. The issue is really due to the objects fading out/in prematurely and it really takes me out.

All in all, TW3 looks super immersive and this is why those things really stand out to me. Is anyone else noticing these things and would like to see it fixed in a later patch?

P.S. I am judging my opinions from the latest youtube gamplays from the personality's.

I agree with the grass...it looks like coming from a painting...
I don't know,I was expecting something more realistic too,but...I kinda like it

the second thing is pop in... I don't know if it is possible to fix that,that's because of the streaming system,you have to copy data from the hdd to the ram,in real time and not while using loadings...because the game doesn't have loadings...
it's like gta 5 for exemple,you'll see a lot of pop in too

Pics related:

It was clear that all "VGX quality will be reproducible" or "Ultra will be a slap in the face" were PR bullshit. It's not so dangerous to presume that they didn't show the Ultra settings for this reason.

The game looks actually very good. It has especially amazing shader quality about the water, and in some sides, it's even better than AC Unity.
But yes. Foliage looks...bad, sadly. At least, to me. And the low draw distance with all that ugly fog ruins the immersion a bit. And for my tastes, it is too coloured.

I'm afraid we have to deal with it. At least until modders will improve it.

I just hope there will be settings for draw distance, because it's really to low.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom