The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think that the game is stunning. I will play it for the story anyway so this is not really a problem for me. This game will be still revolutionary if not because of the visuals then it will be the storytelling and the quests, and in an RPG should be the most important thing.

It's CDPR, we all knew the story and gameplay would be good. But graphics go hand-in-hand with immersion just as much as story does if you want to be fully immersed in a games world. That was never in question with the older trailers.

It's all about deepening the level of immersion and amazing visuals is a part of that, the developers stated as much themselves in older footage. Claiming you will play it for story alone, to me, is the same thing as saying you're giving up on the visuals.

What's the damn point then.

Once again, optimization happened - 'in my naive opinion'. I was uncertain about these downgrade talks a few months ago, but it's pretty clear now that the game looks subpar compared to how they've presented it in earlier trailers. That said, I still think the game looks very pretty.

One thing I wonder: will they upgrade the graphics later on? Could it be done with patches? Or could improved graphics come with one of the expansions? It seems very much possible to me.

Once again, optimization happened - 'in my naive opinion'. I was uncertain about these downgrade talks a few months ago, but it's pretty clear now that the game looks subpar compared to how they've presented it in earlier trailers. That said, I still think the game looks very pretty.

One thing I wonder: will they upgrade the graphics later on? Could it be done with patches? Or could better graphics come with one of the expansions? It seems very much possible to me.

It's certainly possible - whether or not they'll do it is another matter. But patches can change almost anything - including graphics.

As been said, I am not sure whether to call it a downgrade from 35 min gameplay trailer or not but the lightning seems to affect grass in a really bad way, making it unbearable to look at... Also lightning in general looks a little weird in color, same goes for fire looking terrible because of yet again, lightning. Add the lack of water movement from Aard and Blood decals to a lightning fix and we get the 35 min gameplay graphics, I wish it would be done :(

Lighting is terrible, way too damn bright even for moonlight, and the light on those trees in the distance makes them look incredibly low-res. Draw-distance is totally F'd in this shot with that blue-glow near the ground when the sky above seems much darker. That's bizarre looking, not in a good way.

That's damned ugly. I can get skyrim to look literally 3x better than this with mods at 60fps.

Man, that screenshot is old as hell. Do some research. It was released around the same time as the debut trailer.

Please refraing from personal attacks and inflammatory comments.

And the only ones to decide who will and will not be posting in this thread are the moderators

Please refraing from personal attacks and inflammatory comments.

And the only ones to decide who will and will not be posting in this thread are the moderators

Just for saying, my post wasn't a personal attack at all. I apologies with Rawls if it seemed to be so, but it wasn't.

I guess we will see when the game is out. If game textures do not match the so-called "in-game" footage from their original trailers, CDPR will have lost all good faith. I am sure they are not interested in being seen as liars, considering how detrimental it will be to any marketing efforts for their next games. So I am cautiously optimistic :)

One more thing - according to forum rules users may not: - spam and/or publish posts lacking meaningful content,

That includes spamming posts just with some old images that have been discussed 1000 times already. Please try adding something more to the discussion, otherwise moderators will treat your posts as spam and take appropriate measures.

I still think that the game is stunning. I will play it for the story anyway so this is not really a problem for me. This game will be still revolutionary if not because of the visuals then it will be the storytelling and the quests, and in an RPG should be the most important thing.

To me graphics or the visual representation is a important story telling mechanism because it is essential for setting the mood, tone and the atmosphere of the entire gaming world. As such if you change the graphics, sometimes even slightly, you can/will end up with a completely difference mood, atmosphere and tone which then affects the story telling more or less.

So while I agree that the game is still a huge step forward in graphic fidelity and it's defiantly not shit/crap or any other of those awful words some far too easily throw around here, to me the game have still changed in the atmosphere that initially was portrayed and made me fall in love with it. The first trailers literally had me jumping from hype and I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

Then in came a change that seemed to pull the game in a new direction but I accepted it because clever people on here made me realize that the game shown in the earlier trailer just wasn't quite possible on today's hardware and the 35 min demo that was on said to be on high settings was still quite acceptable to me in terms of atmosphere.

But as of late I feel the game yet again have taken another turn in atmosphere even from the 35 min demo and while I completely accept that it's CDPRs freedom to take the game in any direction they see fit for the story they want to tell, to me it is just not as appealing as it once was and as such my excitement level is now under 9000. The infamous screenshot of the entrance to Novigrad from Nvidea was what really got to me because it was like a whole other game compared to the 35 min demo.

However that shot has now been removed and some say it had assets turn off and soon but frankly I am unsure what to believe anymore. So I will wait and see till the game is released before I finally decide whether I want to buy it or not.

Last edited:
Hmm I just thought of something - The Witcher 3: Wild Downgrade!
or The Witcher 3: PC hunt!
The Witcher 3: Visuals hunt?

Anyways on topic, it seems like this topic of downgrade has turned way bigger recently than it was even a few weeks ago, checking the polish forums here and it's also full of downgrade talk, I am really curious to know what the devs are thinking... It's 100% certain that they read all of this and if not this, polish forums for sure but probably both...
I wonder if they are considering a patch with Ubersampling + different graphical options to calm everyone down or there are some strange deals with other parties that they can't discuss which can explain why they are so quiet on the matter and can't do much about it...

Why are they being called liars, when they've said all along that they would be doing one build? They also admitted that their strategy for designing the game was to crank everything up...then slowly chisel it down until they felt it was perfect. So I honestly don't see what they lied about

Lighting is terrible, way too damn bright even for moonlight, and the light on those trees in the distance makes them look incredibly low-res. Draw-distance is totally F'd in this shot with that blue-glow near the ground when the sky above seems much darker. That's bizarre looking, not in a good way.

That's damned ugly. I can get skyrim to look literally 3x better than this with mods at 60fps.

Ah yes, the good old debut-VGX trailer days when the actual pre-alpha game looked like this. It is a screenshot from those times.

At this point I really don't know Sid.

If I was told that CDPR would not deliver the best they can on PC a few weeks ago, then I would have just laughed and assured the person that it is impossible.
But after hearing Konrad say that there is no real difference between PC and consoles and we aimed for parity, I am fearful that CDPR did not even try to make the game look as good as they can on PC because they were aiming for parity in the first place.

Visuals are not the most important thing for me personally as far as Witcher games go, but I must admit that I understand the concerns of our friends here.

That indeed is a worrying statement from Konrad. To be honest I'll still support this game until it's released and I see it myself because there is a lot of inconsistency when it comes screenshots and videos, some look just look flat and then we all start downgrading orchestra but then they suddenly drop a screenshot or two which looks superb and suddenly we start to think again so it's very confusing until we see the game.

But one thing is clear that CDPR could have handled the PC version better much better perhaps, I mean downgrade aside there some very legit claims here that we cannot just ignore. First despite the begging of fans they haven't shown any KB/M footage which still annoys me... then we have the blood issue, in old footage it was literally mixing with water on every hit and now it's just splashing and disappearing, they have no answer to where it's gone and why it's gone ? then we have that wall issue where it's completely missing the geometry on corners and finally we have this "Ultra will be a slap across the face". It was not us who were hyped about ultra, it was them who made the hype by making such a statement and thus raised expectations, some of us believed that Ultra will make us "WOW" but now a lot of Youtubers are showing ultra and it's not much different than high. I am optimistic that we'll see some visible differences when we see it without YT compression but still not "Slap across the face".

I hope that every single statement I made here turns out wrong and our support for the game turns out true but a little disappointed by that parity statement even if it's for PR and we cannot even expect some enhanced edition here because if they make some enhanced edition for PC then what reply they'll give to XB1 and PS4 players.

Its very bad news when a developer stars censoring its discussion boards on a extremely controversial subject arising among its fanbase and community such as an apparent downgrade in its graphical exterior, and doing it based on absurd excuses of "spam/meaningful content" - then again this is extremely subjective as to the meaning of this and to who is applying it...

As for the discussion- the visuals were the first thing that caught the attention of this enormous community and group of experts and journalists, especially non-Witcher fans, unacquainted with this fantastic lore and world which drew them to this incredible game - from its shuddering scenes of caves lighted by torches and monsters burned by Igni in the night to arcady-cartoonish swing effects, butchered lightning and blurry Low res textures of horsemen and nature scenery that looks like it came straight from CS 1.6.... This is very sad as the final date approaches and i should not be able to contain my excitement at this point, yet i find myself slowly losing interest and a growing feeling of disappointment and anger(because I expected better of them)

I am very excited about the game and i wish it will bring me many sleepless nights and I still respect CD projekt and their decisions and i hope that all of this is simply an illusion, nothing more.

Its very bad news when a developer stars censoring its discussion boards on a extremely controversial subject arising among its fanbase and community such as an apparent downgrade in its graphical exterior, and doing it based on absurd excuses of "spam/meaningful content" - then again this is extremely subjective as to the meaning of this and to who is applying it...

It wasn't a developer, but a mod who removed your post and he had every right to do so, since your post contained old screenshots that have been discussed many times before and it is pointless posting them again the way you did. Adds absolutely nothing to the conversation.

Maybe nowadays as one of the smaller companies you simply can not produce such an expensive game - DRM free - and just rely on the PC-Community. Don't get me wrong, i am a PC-player too, but seriously... I think it was a good decision to build W3 for xbox1, ps4 and PC right from the start. In the end, they try to fulfill what almost no company did before: satisfy PC users aswell as xbox and ps4 users. Project RED wants to earn some money in the end. So even if the game has been downgraded a bit, it could be just because it now reaches a bigger crowd (requirements). And seriously, it does not look "horrible" at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom