The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind either that the game is being released on multiple platforms. Just means more people that can enjoy and experience this so far amazing franchise.

Crysis 3 for example did not seem to suffer (visually) on PC by also being released on PS3, and 360. Same with Metro: Last Light and there are probably plenty of other examples

Crytek did go for visual parity with Crysis 2 though but they thankfully they patched the graphics on PC post release. Hopefully CDPR will do the same if the PC version of The Witcher 3 is indeed near identical graphically to the console versions.

One thing is certain, the game is not being the best game graphically it can possibly be on PC, and not by a long shot. Right now the trailers we got are more close to the Elder Blood quality than the Sword of Destiny trailer. It is almost certain we PC folk will not get these visual enhancements post-launch, since CDPR is not planning on doing a Enhanced Edition of TW3.

The game you speak of has been subject of the exact same accusations as these for TW3.

Yes.

Well to me at least C3 did not look in any way like a PS3/360 game on PC. Gameplay wise though it felt clearly designed to be played with a gamepad on a big screen TV, rather than on PC monitor with keyboard and mouse but now I'm going off-topic.

Unfortunately I've come to terms that we will never see VGX/SOD level graphics. Witcher 3 will most likely be remembered as a great game but not for pushing-the-limit graphics like Witcher 2. Decisions were made, parity was justified to get the game (on all platforms) out the door at the same time. It is what it is.

And yes... I know a CM posted that PC could get up to VGX/SOD level (link below) but unless there is a hidden setting (future patch) - it's likely not happening.
http://i.imgur.com/SKFWkxu.png

Last edited:
If we are discussing the blame than we have settled that the graphical fidelity has been taken down?

Likely it is because of consoles, but even so it's likely that if consoles could not handle the previous graphics middling pcs couldn't either. I just hope they will release an enhanced version patch or somehow leave the option to pc players at a later date to experience the game as originally intended.

Unfortunately I've come to terms that we will never see VGX/SOD level graphics. Witcher 3 will most likely be remembered as a great game but not for pushing-the-limit graphics like Witcher 2. Decisions were made, parity was justified to get the game (on all platforms) out the door at the same time. It is what it is.

And yes... I know a CM posted that PC could get up to VGX/SOD level (link below) but unless there is a hidden setting (future patch) - it's likely not happening.
http://i.imgur.com/SKFWkxu.png

indeed. I certainly haven't seen any "will slap you in the face" visuals... and there are youtube videos which claim they are running on ultra so unless there is a massive difference between what they were allowed to play and what is being released then the only slap in the face we've had is the downgrade itself. I mean, if they had something that visually good why on earth would they withhold it until release??? It doesn't even make sense from the marketing perspective. There would be no reason to do so.

I think we've seen the best the game has to offer, sadly. Which isn't superior over a modded skyrim and won't be if they keep cutting things like cool blood affects in water.

They also said the only game on the market right now that competes visually with this, is dragon age inquisition. There is no "competition" here, I play DA:I and dragon age inquisition in terms of visuals is far superior than anything I've seen from the witcher 3. Hell, gta 5 looks better than witcher 3.

The only thing that visually looks better than gta 5 or da:I were the vgx graphics which don't exist anymore, unfortunately.

Speaking of optimization, I can play dragon age inquisition in 2K with a single gtx 980 and get 60fps with dips to 50fps, same with gta 5 <-- (with grass on high). So.... honestly I don't think a gtx 980 (overclocked) is gonna struggle at 60fps with this game at 1080p unless its poorly optimized. Maybe with all the physx stuff turned on 60fps at 1080p but from what I understand some of the physx stuff like wolf fur got cut, right? That's something to dwell on. If it doesn't look visually superior then why is it running at 60fps at 1080p when there's games with better visuals like the ones I mentioned that run at much higher fps at 1080p, let alone 2k 60fps like I mentioned.

I hope its not a bad port on top of downgraded parity if its struggling to do 60fps at 1080p. That really shouldn't be happening because these visuals aren't that good.

Last edited:
If the promotion material looked like that from the beginning I wouldn't mind at all. Hell, I still play games that are from the '90s and the '00s. What annoys me is false advertising. The early trailers looked beyond amazing and I'm sure that many preordered the game just because of these trailers. Because I experienced the Rome II disaster (a game that looked absolutely stunning in its "way prealpha stage" but didn't deliver at all in the end) I have my doubts about The Witcher 3. I will not cancel my preorder unless the reviews bash the game but this will be the last time I preorder a game from CDPR and the last time I preorder a game in general. I do it seldom (I've done it only four times in my life) anyway.

I hope its not a bad port on top of downgraded parity if its struggling to do 60fps at 1080p. That really shouldn't be happening because these visuals aren't that good.

This sounds more like you have an issue with parity than how it looks. Which smells to me of prejudice. You've decided parity is a bad thing, therefor anything to do with it is also bad.

I find the visuals I've seen so far equal to DAI and modded Skyrim. What do I run? Right now, 4K at 40 inches off twin 290xs. Recently, I ran Skyrim, heavily heavily modded at 6400 x 1600. And it looked good, as did DAI. Even great.

In places.

In other places, even modded, not so great.

Now, if W3 visuals aren't as much to my liking ( because so much of this is personal preference - heavily influenced by prejudice in many cases), I won't be a) surprised or b) disappointed. What care I? W3 has so much to offer, this seems like poor mutterings to me.

I will not cancel my preorder unless the reviews bash the game but this will be the last time I preorder a game from CDPR and the last time I preorder a game in general. I do it seldom (I've done it only four times in my life) anyway.

I've said it before.

Cancel your preorder. Don't preorder. Unless you really, really don't care if they meet your expectations.

Preorders are kind of nuts. Why, WHY would anyone buy something that doesn't exist yet? Especially something as hard to quantify as a video game on a grand scale?
Wait for reviews. For footage. Please. Everyone.

Most of the momentum on this Thread of Idiocy and Rantings comes from people feeling "cheated". Well, kids, you can't be cheated if you haven't lost any money yet. Sorry. You can -feel- cheated, like you can -feel- hurt if someone makes fun of your dog or your shoes or whatever presses your buttons.

But you can't be cheated if you haven't paid for the product yet. At worse, you'll have to look elsewhere.

As for being lied to, without going into engine changes or marketing crap, let's skip to the chase: so what? So what if you were lied to? They've never met you, they don't know you. It's in no way personal. They won't get your money unless you buy the game - and you can cancel your preorder -anytime. NOw, for example. Go forth! Please.

The real "lie" consists of the one where you tell yourself that in any scale of things, a possible or probable downgrade to a AAA CRPG matters. It does not. At worse, this giant, free roaming, full-of-stories game you get to play for 200 hours for exactly the same you'd pay for some AAA 20 hour shooter, at worse this game will not be as pretty as you hoped or were told. As pretty. Wow.

How shallow is that?

Also, when, (not if), this happens for Cyberpunk 2077, I will Pony the hell out of anything like this. PREPARE FOR PINK.

Despite the YT compression I dont see a big difference between Ultra and PS4, yet everyone that has seen TW3 with no compression says it looks way better on PC, a massive difference, so there's gotta be something different we arent able to see.

I'm not happy with the way some things look in the game now, but at least its extremely obvious it wasnt downgraded, since a lot of stuff actually looks a lot better than the old footage. The game got "sidegraded", just like all games do, except in this one the differences are much more noticeable.

Too bad the thread is infected with so much hyperbole, plain ignorance and discharge that it's kind of hard to actually analyze the game's graphics and people's opinions. I think some of the guys from the downgrade club here should try to be a bit more serious and less absurd and emotional, so that your points are more considerable and helpful.

Even in the old downgrade threads (which I read since the beginning) there were a lot of more or less valid posts and complains, this one is a disaster however.

All of this is great for CDPR though, its like with politicians, never praise them too much or stop putting pressure and questioning on them. It may be a trolling thread mostly but at least it'll help to keep CDPR on their toes

This sounds more like you have an issue with parity than how it looks. Which smells to me of prejudice. You've decided parity is a bad thing, therefor anything to do with it is also bad.

I find the visuals I've seen so far equal to DAI and modded Skyrim. What do I run? Right now, 4K at 40 inches off twin 290xs. Recently, I ran Skyrim, heavily heavily modded at 6400 x 1600. And it looked good, as did DAI. Even great.

In places.

Now, if W3 visuals aren't as much to my liking ( because so much of this is personal preference - heavily influenced by prejudice in many cases), I won't be a) surprised or b) disappointed. What care I? W3 has so much to offer, this seems like poor mutterings to me.

I've said it before.

Cancel your preorder. Don't preorder. Unless you really, really don't care if they meet your expectations.

Preorders are kind of nuts. Why, WHY would anyone buy something that doesn't exist yet? Especially something as hard to quantify as a video game on a grand scale?

Most of the momentum on this Thread of Idiocy and Rantings comes from people feeling "cheated". Well, kids, you can't be cheated if you haven't lost any money yet. Sorry. You can -feel- cheated, like you can -feel- hurt if someone makes fun of your dog or your shoes or whatever presses your buttons.

But you can't be cheated if you haven't paid for the product yet. At worse, you'll have to look elsewhere.

As for being lied to, without going into engine changes or marketing crap, let's skip to the chase: so what? So what if you were lied to? They've never met you, they don't know you. It's in no way personal. They won't get your money unless you buy the game - and you can cancel your preorder -anytime. NOw, for example. Go forth! Please.

The real "lie" consists of the one where you tell yourself that in any scale of things, a possible or probable downgrade to a AAA CRPG matters. It does not. At worse, this giant, free roaming, full-of-stories game you get to play for 200 hours for exactly the same you'd pay for some AAA 20 hour shooter, at worse this game will not be as pretty as you hoped or were told. As pretty. Wow.

How shallow is that?

Also, when, (not if), this happens for Cyberpunk 2077, I will Pony the hell out of anything like this. PREPARE FOR PINK.

I don't even know where to begin with this wall of nonsense....

First off as a PC gamer PARITY is a terrible thing. It means we will not progress above the level of hardware inside the consoles which is roughly 4 years old at this point for the next 8 years. Even though PC hardware will progress in leaps and bounds (especially next year with Pascal and this years AMD offering) we are artificially being limited.

Second, I preordered because of CDPR track record. I did this to show my support. Up to this point I trusted them and this is why we feel CHEATED. It has nothing to do with money. They were considered the last of the true PC developers but that title is slowly being eroded. THAT IS WHY WE FEEL CHEATED.

Thirdly, SO WHAT to being lied too? Are you serious. That's your reasoning if a company lies to you? False advertising is illegal and immoral. As a moderator for CDPR you should be ashamed of that response. I bet CDPR PR department wouldn't be too happy with that response you just typed. You are telling CDPR potential customers that even though they've been lied to they should get over it and that it doesn't matter? REALLY?

Last edited:
Thank you its not even out and people are comparing it to old games that if I were to bring still pics from gta5 dai and other games the same cherry picking will happen. Its a never ending cycle for every game past and future.Which future games will compare witcher 3 with and zoom in on the grass IM playing a video game not looking at a wall for 4 hours and looking for grass clipping from a fake rock a video game is not immersive and fun when you look at it with a critics eyes

I don't even know where to begin with this wall of nonsense....

Here's a hint: don't call what other people type in here "nonsense" because you a) don't agree with it or b) don't understand it.

First off as a PC gamer PARITY is a terrible thing. It means we will not progress above the level of hardware inside the consoles which is roughly 4 years old. Even though PC hardware will progress in leaps and bounds (especially next year with Pascal and this years AMD offering) we are artificially being limited.

Remember the 2000s? When PC gamig was dead and consoles were everywhere? Remember that? Did you see PC gaming not progressing? Since I was running a better rig than, oh, 90% of people, I'm pretty sure I had to struggle through Far Cry on maximum everything, then Crysis, then Witcher 2 on Ubersampling, Doom 3..I could go on and on.

We aren't being artificially limited by consoles - your hardware just needs an upgrade. Also, what is a "PC Gamer"? HAve you sworn a mad oath not to play Red Dead Redemption or the Last of Us? Your loss, then.

As a moderator for CDPR you should be ashamed of that response. I bet CDPR PR department wouldn't be too happy with that response you just typed. You are telling CDPR potential customers that even though they've been lied to they should get over it and that it doesn't matter? REALLY?

What're they going to do? Not pay me? Not pay me some more? We're volunteers. If you haven't lost money, you haven't been cheated. How were you cheated? YOu chose to trust them and you choose to feel betrayed. That's all on you. You trusted a producer to what? Keep your needs ahead of theirs? Please.

False advertising is the rule of the world. Last time you bought beer, did you have a big party with lots of incredibly hot women at a ratio of 4:1 women: men? How about that electric shaver? You get those abs and that chiselled chin?

If you don't -buy- anything, you can't exactly claim false advertising, can you? I mean, since all these downgrade trailers have come out, obviously The Truth Is Out, and you have rescinded your preorder..which means it's accurate advertising.

And you're upset because you were...truthed to? Before it cost you money? Or because your best friend, a corporation, made you feel as if you'd been cheated?

Either way, that's a whole lot of emotional investment in a video game.

In places.

Now, if W3 visuals aren't as much to my liking ( because so much of this is personal preference - heavily influenced by prejudice in many cases), I won't be a) surprised or b) disappointed. What care I? .

The fact that they showcased better visuals in the first place is WHY people care, they feel deceived, I personally feel deceived. They also keep cutting stuff left and right without telling anyone, like the blood stuff for example. Yet they stated the game will be a slap in the face and will look on par with da:I when it releases. I'm not in any way disputing your personal opinion, just giving you my reasons for my own posts.

That bit about the optimization was just speculation on my part, as I do play these games in 2k with 60fps, so why a game would look worse at 60fps 1080p doesn't make much sense to me. I do have an issue with parity, a big issue. I'd also be lying if I said I don't feel extreme hatred toward consoles because I've been a pc gamer for a very, very long time and experienced much worse than what is happening to this game in the past. Frankly, I'm sick of it and frankly because of what's already been done to this game all in the name of parity, if it had poor port optimization it also would not surprise me at this point. That's just honestly how I feel at this point as a pc gamer and from what's already been done to this game.

Any trust I had with cdpr is completely gone at this point. For good reason.

Last edited:
I've said it before.

Because I want the collector's edition and I seriously doubt that I can find it after release. And, as you said I haven't given any money yet, so I haven't actually bought anything yet.

What kind of strawman is that? It's not a personal matter, its a business ethics and consumer interests matter. But if you want to call the people here that care about said interests and ethics idiots, I think that there is not point discussing this further.

After all, the real problem of lies is not mine. The worst think that can happen to me is not play a game. The real problem is that CDPR will destroy the company trust that is has built and that translates to money (or the lack of it rather).

Also, if you are trying to persuade me to cancel my preorder, you are doing a damn well job.

How shallow is that?

Another strawman. First of all, you don't get to decide what matters for other people and what not. Secondly, the real problem for me is not the game not being pretty, is false advertising. I said in my first post that if the game looked like this from the beginning I wouldn't mind at all.

Frankly, I'm sick of it and frankly because of what's already been done to this game all in the name of parity, if it had poor port optimization it also would not surprise me at this point.

Okay, I get this. Disappointment sucks hard. But it was a TRAILER. Don't trust them. Not because of "false advertising" but because either a) they are CGI or b) they are designed to look as good as possible. Waaay before engine optimisations and changes happen. Rule of the business world, brother - if marketing comes along and says, "show me the BEST you have" they get it. Then engineers get to fail to make it happen AND give you no-loading sequences, open-world, crisp Igni casts at 50 FPS or whatever.

I've been a PC gamer since the first Apple's were on the market. Maybe before, since our school was an early adopter - in the 70s. I don't hate consoles for anything. Let it go. PC gamig rocks hard, always has. We get the best options, mods, control surfaces, visuals, you name it.

As for the parity issue, well, let's just see how it looks on release at 2K and 4K? Forget that stupid first trailer crap, run it as high as yoru hardware can handle and then decide.

I've already got a bet going from the last version of this idiotic downgrade nonsense that I can get mine looking goddamn amazing at 4K. Otherwise, I have to post "I'm Sorry" like a 100 times. Everywhere. Gonna suck hard.

---------- Updated at 06:23 PM ----------

Because I want the collector's edition and I seriously doubt that I can find it after release. And, as you said I haven't given any money yet, so I haven't actually bought anything yet.

Well, that's a risk/reward tradeoff. Sucky one, but yeah, there you go.

What kind of strawman is that? It's not a personal matter, its a business ethics and consumer interests matter. But if you want to call the people here that care about said interests and ethics idiots, I think that there is not point discussing this further.

This whole thread is a big no-discussion. How much discussion have you seen? Mostly it's worrying, countering, more worrying and complaints about betrayal. Nooot a lot of discussion by percentage of posts.

The real problem is that CDPR will destroy the company trust that is has built and that translates to money (or the lack of it rather).

Ahahhah! CDPR is going to make out like BANDITS from this game. It's going to actually be disgusting how well they do. They are about to be featured on Conan O'Brien, in fact. Outside this forum - outside this thread - this game is highly, highly anticipated and is going to rock worlds. The only people to lose by not playing this game are the people who don't play this game.

Also, if you are trying to persuade me to cancel my preorder, you are doing a damn well job.

Good! I am trying to do this! I think everyone in this thread should! Wait and see, if you're tha worried.

Another strawman. First of all, you don't get to decide what matters for other people and what not. Secondly, the real problem for me is not the game not being pretty, is false advertising. I said in my first post that if the game looked like this from the beginning I wouldn't mind at all.

False advertising presumes sooo much. That they deliberately mislead you. Got any proof of that? That they created a product that didn't exist to promote a game that didn't exist..got any proof of that? As opposed to show you what they had, then change it AND SHOW YOU THAT AFTER THEY DID IT, so as tomake sure you, the consumer were informed.

Also, I do in fact get to decide what matters to people. It's called SardWorld, and it's so pretty here. Filled with beautiful images, happy people and @blank_redge. Goddamn, how did he get in! Arrrgh.

Personal will and/or freedom of thought doesn't actually exempt you from someone else coming along and going, "Hey, pal, that light socket is live. You stick your fork in there and...you know what? Go ahead. Let me get my camera out first."

Anyone not buying W3 - and loving the hell out of it - because of some perceived trust betrayal relationship between them and CDPR is just the guy sticking the fork in the socket. You're only hurting yourself.

Okay, I get this. Disappointment sucks hard. But it was a TRAILER. Don't trust them. Not because of "false advertising" but because either a) they are CGI or b) they are designed to look as good as possible. d.

The issue is... we all thought CDPR was above this. Their rep was untarnished until now, which made that vgx trailer all the more believable. I'm fairly certain they said that was actual gameplay as well. They never stated it was in-engine footage or whatever you want to call it but actual gameplay and when you watch it, it does look like actual gameplay. Not that fake crap like star wars battlefront EA trailer... I mean clearly you can tell that's a cooked-up trailer. This looked like real gameplay when hes just walking through that swamp or riding around on the horse.

It also looked like an improved version of witcher 2, that along with their untarnished rep made it extremely believable. I mean, I didn't once for a second think that that was some fake marketing crap.. that thought didn't cross my mind once. It worked though since I pre-ordered it like instantly after that trailer.

Just meh.... I just liked that gritty style it had before as well a lot. It's just... depressing.

I've already got a bet going from the last version of this idiotic downgrade nonsense that I can get mine looking goddamn amazing at 4K. Otherwise, I have to post "I'm Sorry" like a 100 times. Everywhere. Gonna suck hard.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34018-Graphic-downgrade/page118?p=1565980#post1565980

Which image were you talking about when you said "I tell you what. If, when the game comes out, I can't render W3 in some stupidly high resolution with beautiful imagery akin to that image out there"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom