The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd also like to remind everyone that the title of the thread is "Visuals", not "Everything I'm Unhappy About"?
Two more posts deleted.

I described the feature that have impact on visual part as well on fighting game mechanics (they work and depend on each other), how that is not visuals ?

I described the feature that have impact on visual part as well on fighting game mechanics (they work and depend on each other), how that is not visuals ?

:rly?:
Nice try, but no.
If you want to discuss combat, or combat animations, take it to the threads on combat and animations.

Mate , all i am asking you to do is wait till the release to see whether they really F'd us or not.This is going a bit out of topic , but bear with me
Even if you preorder the game , and it was downgraded? at most if you dont play - you lose 60$( i know it is a large amount) . For them - a small polish company-loss of face , loss ore reputation , distrust
TL:DR - they have much more to lose than us

GETTING BACK to the visuals topic

How do you guys think about the blood and steel trailer? it was quite fast paced , i didnot see anything properly. However that draugr looked quite good

any thoughts?

Thay done so many things right (art style, scenery, authentic look of forest, cities, people look beautiful, monster as well) but fail on small things such as blood splatter on the ground, footprints, igni sign, rain splatters and soo on.

ps. trailer name is: rage & steel

And convincing the developers to change their mind? Doesn't that presuppose that there's a choice here? It would be good maybe if people start to consider the possibility that sometimes the "choice" is between having a game that will actually play at an acceptable framerate on PC's of reasonable specs, and a game that won't, and also that some of the features being requested, such as volumetrics, aren't just a question of flicking a switch somewhere and they magically appear.

I know I'm going to regret posting in this thread again, but the worst part of it all is that yesterday was all about people loosing their shit about sprites. Not technically complex effects or game-changing techniques.

A single 2D, 512x512 at most, sprite.

Whose dense appearance is the result of an art direction wanting to make short grass look lush. When the performance impact of changing the content of that asset is precisely nil. Which is actually rendered and shaded better, in dynamic lighting conditions, than any other game listed in those hyperboles. I can't even begin to explain how fallacious, nitpicky, intellectually dishonest and ignorant those comparisons are. I think anyone with half a brain already knew all that, but I feel better coming out and saying it outright.

I can only feel very deeply sorry as a part of the community for the abusive words thrown at the artists and devs in this thread. The sheer arrogance of those people who don't have the first idea of what they are talking about only to call professionals "amateur modders" galls me. This is why we can't have this conversation and this is why I'm out of this garbage.

I'm not even sure what posting this will accomplish given the mindset of these posters, but sorry guys/mods/reds.

Edit : And by the way, I love the grass and foliage in this game. Seeing the real-world asset on a regular basis, it's striking the right notes and feels right. But I'm also not going to jump at the throat of anyone who disagrees with me and try to pass my opinion as a technical argument.

Last edited:
I feel i need to deposit my 2 cents so here goes.

First of all i'd like to start by saying i have preordered this game and i won't be changing my decision,
because i believe i chose to play this game based on story and gameplay and not by how well it looks on the trailers.

To me i think it is enough that the game look better than witcher 2 and i hope that with my gtx770 i'll be able to enjoy it on a smooth framerate.
Now other aren't content with that and feel they need more, maybe because of what was promised on the trailers etc.
I can understand that, though i also understand the process of optimization and trying to make your game play on most mainstream
machines. Maybe what they did wrong was to release those trailers to increase hype which kinda turned backed on them when they couldn't keep that
level of graphics.

To be honest i don't know what the final product will look like and i believe i'll enjoy it none the less even if there will be some issues with it, but
to say that DA:I looks better with those hideous character models is insane. I can also argue about gta 5 but this isn't the case here.

All in all i decided to support CDprojekt RED despite all those issues regarding the graphics cause i believe my trust to them came from other places
and not just because they released a visually stunning TW2. Do i feel a little bit "betrayed" though, well yes since they started out as a pc only company who felt like pc gaming should get the absolute best possible but now they felt the need to cut back on that and say words like "we will focus on 30fps" and that "textures are the same across all plattforms because it's easier to do".

.I still believe my experience will be as awesome as ever, though i still hope that they at least support this game post production and even, maybe dare to say, release an ehanced version?

Do any one of you know anti aliasing technique used in youtubers ultra footage ?

No but we'll get MSAA for sure (It was hinted in that GTX 780 Ti article long ago), we'll probably also get the lighter options like FXAA. TXAA might be in as well but I doubt as it's not mentioned on Geforce website. You shouldn't worry that much, even if it's downgraded/toned down in several aspects it's still one of the best looking RPGs to date and your 970 will be pushed to limits, you don't need to leave PC gaming :)

I don't care about graphics much. Enough to upgrade my computer in preparation for the Witcher 3 though because of the early footage I saw. Which I've now opted not to preorder, not because of the loss of graphics per se, but because this whole debacle has shaken my trust. Acting all coy, refusing to upload the ultra footage because it's too good, blaming any apparent decline in visual quality on youtube compression. Heck, the game could be flat untextured polygons from the early 90's for all I care but if official heads in the company had explained away the alleged downgrade in the way the fans are doing for them right now, I'd still have my preorder.

This is a company that people constantly say are heroes of the consumer and the PC platform. There's still a chance for them to uphold that reputation. When the game launches, I'll go online, look at the pc ultra footage and comparison videos that will inevitably appear, and ask me one simple question--has the company been straight and honest with me?

If the answer is yes, I'll go and pick up the game. Believe me there's nothing I'd like more than being proven wrong to doubt. :)

about visuel, just taken this screenshoot from the monster dev diary :

It's way better than vgx and sod

Attachments

• ESRB_no_sub_DD3_EN_25Mbs.mp4_snapshot_02.10_[2015.05.08_14.38.08].jpg
    ESRB_no_sub_DD3_EN_25Mbs.mp4_snapshot_02.10_[2015.05.08_14.38.08].jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 53
about visuel, just taken this screenshoot from the monster dev diary :

It's way better than vgx and sod
The short game play glimpses in the monsters developer diary look marvelous, likely running at 4k. Its the most impressed I have been with the graphical quality since VGX/SOD.

Some parts look absolutely gorgeous.

It suffers from "Assassin's Creed Unity" syndrome, in which when there is a lot of ambient light and shadows, such as in sunrise or sunset and bright noon, it looks great. But, in nighttime or in overcast weather, it looks very VERY flat. Just look at Conan's video when he is in Skellige.

Thats why places during night time, indoors, caves, ect, look a lot worse than other scenes.

It is, unfortunately, one of the drawbacks of using such an advanced real time lighting system There are some things that you can't control, like that. If they used a different form of lighting, maybe involving GI, it may look better.

Glad that we are back to actually discussing the visuals on an intellectual level, not just flaming everywhere.

Last edited:
Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I didn't want to open a new thread for such a small question, and tried googling for the answer and came up without one, so:

Will the UI be customizable ? I mean, will I be able to move the health bar around for example ?

Only thing that bothers me is the grass, it looked much better in SOD trailer, now it looks low res, but i will play W3 nonetheless, and i am sure that i will enjoy it.

I actually think the night time looks brilliant, The skellige isles look gorgeous as well.

But nighttime is even better when it's raining, Moonlight Reflecting the rain is f****ing amazing.

Hello. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I didn't want to open a new thread for such a small question, and tried googling for the answer and came up without one, so:

Will the UI be customizable ? I mean, will I be able to move the health bar around for example ?

Don't think you'll be able to move stuff around. But HUD elements can be disabled or resized. :)

It benefit you, but not the other 99% gamers. Only very small percentage of pc gamers can run the game at ultra. So it is pointless to up the requirement even further. Remember the game is moddable, graphic is the easiest stuff to improve with mods, so we shouldn't worry too much about it.

Maybe I'm wrong and do correct me, BUT, lets say that 10% of 10million gamers(there are obviously more), have super duper ultra PC's. thats 1.000.000. Now if they own that kind of a PC they surely want to test it out with the latest W3. And lets say the game will sell around 1,7m copies (based on W2; wiki). Meaning the majority of people who will purchase this game will be those gamers with super duper ultra PCs, meaning it will benefit the majority of people who will buy the game.

I dunno thats just me trying to sound smart :3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom