The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the same kind of magic they'll use to give PC gamers a slap across the face
Oh hello regulator2, fancy seeing you here again and what is this, you created a flamebait post just today as soon as you came back that was deleted, like 2 pages ago? Now now, surely you learnt something after the last ban and then creating a thread on /v/ complaining about it.
(which also got shot down)

Seeing as this is my last post in this thread, I am going to repeat some of my prior thoughts before I became completely disheartened by the circular arguments about 1200 posts ago. I am re-posting these thoughts only because several of you have begun posting since that time and if I were you I would not have gone back and read 120-150 pages of posts on the topic. I have been trying to provide some perspective to the issues that several appear to have.

Let's put things in perspective. This is an (at least) 136km2 open world game in a fantasy setting filled with content. With a great story and characters. With a huge choice and consequence system where different quests effect each other. With solid game mechanics that allow players to customize their experience. With really good graphics (even if the graphics appear marginally worse than they did in a trailer released long ago). With an amazing soundtrack and ambient sound system. And the game looks playable on release (few bugs) from the videos I have seen.

I can't remember the last time a game even approached looking capable of delivering on all of this.

The following were my thoughts on accusations that CDPR is actively trying to deceive us into buy something that is "downgraded":

How can they be more honest than releasing hours of actual footage recorded by youtubers weeks in advance? You know what the game will look like. You have time to cancel a preorder if you don't like it.

And

If CDPR "downgraded" the game to please microsoft, why would PS4 look slightly better than XBox One, which is what most game reviews have said. PC >> PS4 > XBox One as far as graphics are concerned. That has been the general consensus I have heard.

And giving a general overview of my opinion of the quality of the visuals now compared to the VGX trailer (which does look better than current visuals IMO):

The VGX trailer is just that, a trailer that was released 17 months before the game will be released. Games change. Trailers reflect the best foot forward of the game at the time the trailer is released. A "trailer" as defined in this context is:

a selected group of scenes that are shown to advertise a *[video game]*.

Advertise is defined as:

to call public attention to especially by emphasizing desirable qualities so as to arouse a desire to buy or patronize.

So in the context of a trailer, it makes sense that they would show you very good footage under very good circumstances to arouse a desire to buy the game. That's what advertising is. Taking a still shot of a youtube video and saying "it looks worse in this instance therefore they are liars" is disingenuous. Maybe there is no smoke because NPCs only light fires at certain times of the day. Maybe differences in weather effect the image. Maybe the systems are set to different graphics settings. Maybe there are compression issues. We just don't know yet. A lot of people are jumping to conclusions with limited and imperfect information. Patience is a virtue.

http://gearnuke.com/witcher-3-wild-h...er-comparison/ I think this article largely has it right in it's conclusion.

The most noticeable difference is of course the lighting in each of the scenes. While the general graphics remain the same, the lighting has been changed, probably to meet the art direction of te game. It could have been different to show a better view in the trailers compared to the final build. There are also some slight tweaks including different characters and armor.

What’s obvious from the above comparison is that the game retains its look very well from all of the pre-release footage.

There ARE some differences in the game from the trailer to the videos we have seen. Some (including myself) could conclude that the trailers look slightly better. There are three reasons that is not really that big of a deal.

(1) I would argue that one should have a healthy amount of skepticism whenever watching a trailer because it is advertising, regardless of who it is coming from. They are trying to sell something, and that is okay because otherwise they won't be able to make the next game. I don't know about you, but I really want to play CP 2077 and TW4: Ciri's Revenge. You cannot reasonably expect the game to look the exact same all the time from one video or image to the next.

(2) The trailers are a fair representation of what the game has become in my opinion. Even if it looks "worse" it still looks freaking awesome. I don't know of an open world RPG that looks better. How can being the best at what you are trying to be still be considered bad?

(3) We have all seen the videos showing the game as it appears now. So you cannot say you do not know what you are going to get.

*The actual merriam-webster definition says "movie" specifically. I changed the definition to reflect the context of our conversation.

That was and remains my overarching opinion on the matter. It will not change until May 19, 2015 when I get my hands on the game and see for sure. I do not begrudge any of you you opinions about the quality of the visuals. I believe that reasonable people can disagree about things like this. I would urge patience before jumping too far head to conclusions with imperfect information. Those of us who choose to purchase the game will be able to see for ourselves. I sincerely hope that all of you will enjoy it. However, since I can't really contribute anything more to the conversation, adios.

I am just woried as to why we haven't seen hide nor hair of the xbox one footage at all and then we got false advertising bollocks like what happened with conan.

I just don't get it anymore. I don't want to waste money buying a game of a version that the developers aren't even confident in showing it.

Oh hello regulator2, fancy seeing you here again and what is this, you created a flamebait post just today as soon as you came back that was deleted, like 2 pages ago? Now now, surely you learnt something after the last ban and then creating a thread on /v/ complaining about it.
(which also got shot down)

But ... But... he obliterated the mods!

I am just woried as to why we haven't seen hide nor hair of the xbox one footage at all and then we got false advertising bollocks like what happened with conan.

I just don't get it anymore. I don't want to waste money buying a game of a version that the developers aren't even confident in showing it.

Lets say it will be close when it comes to the fidelity to the PS4 version of the game...ok ?

The biggest issue I see is the lack of real quality mapping in the terrain.

That seems to be the persistent issue in many of these "poor" images that people post.

But damn it was an old build. You can tell by the draw distance. Have faith!

If that's the case, Why not show it?

Why is microsoft dodging questions on twitter? Why did they try to pass off pc gameplay as xbox one gameplay?

Something isn't adding up, and i won't stop being skeptical until they give me a reason to not be.

If that's the case, Why not show it?

Why is microsoft dodging questions on twitter? Why did they try to pass off pc gameplay as xbox one gameplay?

Something isn't adding up, and i won't stop being skeptical until they give me a reason to not be.

from what i heard , ps4 and xbox graphics are the same albeit the 900p in the latter

That's what i have been hearing as well, But can you blame me for being paranoid?

This industry has been really shady over the past 7-8 months....

to be honest, I think I like cake. So good. Also, need to say something vaguely about visuals and not, you know, a repeat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hope the visuals are better than the previous trailer. thanks.

Also, still liking the Ponies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Games have been horribly optimized across all gaming platforms IMO, Including consoles. But it's probably because this is the weakest generation of consoles in well.... Ever.

I regret not spending that money on a 980.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom