The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
ambient occlusion is hardly a big budget option though. It has been around for a long time.

We should be able to force it with enb or sweetfx, I just don't understand why they didn't add it. It definitely isn't a console feature, that much I can verify.

If don´t have AO, is not the end of the world. Some of the better game in history also dont have it, and that not a problem, because there are other thing that make them great. Don´t forget Gameplay >>>>>> Graphics.

ambient occlusion is hardly a big budget option though. It has been around for a long time.

We should be able to force it with enb or sweetfx on pc if its not an option. It definitely isn't a console feature, that much I can verify. Console gameplay has zero ambient occlusion on foliage.

Nobody is upset that the game looks like it does. People are upset that it was promised to look in a certain way and it obviously doesn't anymore. And to be honest I'm mostly upset about CD Projekt denying there's any difference between the early footage and 2014/2015 material. Which looks pretty obvious, if you compare some screenshots (that famous wall corner probably being the most eye-catching).

The game has AO, I don't honestly see the issue with the grass and AO. I haven't seen a game that provides noticeable shadows for the grass.
And CDPR is big enough to put proper grass in the game. They did it for Witcher 2 and they most certainly have pulled it off in the swamp areas of TW3 and in the Sword of Destiny trailer.

We should be able to force it with enb or sweetfx on pc if its not an option. It definitely isn't a console feature, that much I can verify. Console gameplay has zero ambient occlusion on foliage.

What about these, ambient occlusion missing here too ?

These are not old, like I said many times that screenshots are very inconsistent so just making your opinion on few bad ones doesn't prove anything. There are good ones too (like two above) which no one bothers to praise here, perhaps hate is too much to cloud neutral thinking ?

2013 trailer is not gameplay trailer, it was filled with cgi shots too. Watch dogs showed off a gameplay demo with those hidden effects.

It was in game footage. Only CGI shots were ones from Killing Monsters trailer. Everything else was realtime in game footage from a build that was shown behind closed doors.

---------- Updated at 08:35 AM ----------

Therein lies the rub. If there are 10 console-gamer wallets for every 1 pc-gamer wallet, what will make them care? (I don't know what the actual ratio is; it could be even more lopsided, particularly if you reduce 'pc gamer' to 'pc gamer with a high end rig').

In an ideal world they'd try and please all their customers, but the most successful companies are pragmatic rather than idealistic. Of course, CDProjekt earned(?) a reputation as upholding ideals first and foremost, and sabotaging that reputation isn't going to help them. Still, Bethesda proved you can make the leap with a mediocre PC port of Skyrim, and it's still one of the most successful games.

Let's also not forget that 'faceless companies' have actual human beings (with faces)--and it's down to the nature of the individuals as to how the company is ran. Some people are untroubled if their company loses its pristine reputation or fails to live up to an ideal, so long as they can retire to their personal yacht when they leave.

Source?

Still with the graphics hate?

I think it is time to go lut to the street, and the mou taim, and to the rivers, and to the beach, on diferent hours of the day, with different kind of weather, etcetera. You will see that things look different, that shadows change, that you can see mountains that are not visible at usual, etcetera.

Stop the hate. The game lopks great. Better that the previous one (much better, light is better for sure, as example) and it can be one of the best open world graphics you will see on a time.

I have accepted with how the game looks (which is still good, though maybe not amazing) but it still hurts a bit to see those old gifs. Especially the one with Geralt riding near a field and seeing the flocks of birds and such, man a game looking like that would be a wonder.

2013 footage was probably not real in-game, most probably a target render.
They showed the game running in real time to press and footage was leaked as well. It was running in real time. It wasn't target render;. If it was target render then why the game doesn't look as good as 35 minutes Gameplay from last year. That was target render too?

Last edited:
What about these, ambient occlusion missing here too ?

These are not old, like I said many times that screenshots are very inconsistent so just making your opinion on few bad ones doesn't prove anything. There are good ones too (like two above) which no one bothers to praise here, perhaps hate is too much to cloud neutral thinking ?

that above image looks like grass has AO, and I'm assuming this is the pc version here.

ACtually I just noticed something odd. On the far left side of the image there is a bit of grass being struck by the lighting and it appears to be completely removing the AO on the grass that is in the shadows in the rest of the image.

Maybe it does have AO but for whatever reason the lighting being used here is eliminating it for some reason?

I isolated the bit that I'm looking at, here http://oi62.tinypic.com/2eyua01.jpg

It seems grass still looks similar to this grass in actual light which... is odd...

If there is AO, which there is it seems on grass within shadows, for whatever reason it definitely is not strong enough in daytime. The lighting method used here is killing it almost entirely. imo it should not be doing that so severely.

Last edited:
Well this thread is still going full speed ahead.
Marcin Mormont said in a statement some time ago :".. As you probably know, when publishing screenshots, some of them can be subjectively less appealing than others (depending on one’s opinion), that’s perfectly normal. The most important thing here is that the game will come out looking gorgeous when we are done working on it. There will be no downgrade. "
Well I don't believe him because it's just PR, but since it's only 10 day to release we could wait with pitchforks and torches until then and then let's the party commence or not, depends on the final game build.

One thing I noticed is that from all the footage we've seen, is that everything looks like it's still has the same assets. Go watch the old trailers and really look closely to the grass and foliage. It looks very similar to the ones in the current build, but much much higher resolution and detail. Could this mean that it can still be replicated on PC with a bit of fiddling in the config files ?

Does anyone know where I can download the uncompressed 5GB+ 35minute gameplay footage from a while back? The gamersyde torrent link is dead.

You have zero excitement but still come here to bash the devs occasionally ? love/hate relationship ? it would be ideal if you use this thread as a platform to convey your concerns to the devs, it's very unlikely that after 200 pages they haven't noticed it but man the way you're treating the matter is going to make it worse. Pretty much all of us don't like few things or when we play it we won't find everything satisfactory so it's good to mention those things here and then move along, find better words or new points to convey your message.

Graphics are important for all of us but not important enough to disregard the entire game, insult devs and other platforms. Fanboys are funny but haters are downright unbearable.

How else can i vent spleen on a game i have followed since day 1, a game i talked about to everyone i know saying look how frikken amazing it looks and how CD were the best devs ever? i feel literally back stabbed.. the game is now not even 80% graphically as good as it was it has been downgraded so much it looks like a consol mmo.

So yes I am entitled to be angry at the bullshots... how the consols have rid us of the masterpiece seen in the trailers. how smoke and grass and particles now look turd, and how all the hours following new articles have finally ended up with me losing all respect for the utter utter bullshots CD have shoved down our throats... and for false advertising of the pc version... So yes I will come here and say what I want... am so angry about it I feel like smashing a dam consol to feel better. The PC version should look like the trailers and sod the sofa crowd who pay less that £200 for it.. most pc gamers pay the industry over £1800 for a pc. The pc should all those features and then the remove 50% of the features for the consol.

What would our version look like if there was a 360 version... my god.. I do not want to think about it. So yes at the end of the day, I am utterly disappointed at the game and at CD who I have lost all respect for, they knew this would happen but backstabbed the pc gamers anyway and continued to dupe us with how the game would look (trailers), by pc gamers who made it possible for them financially to make W3 in the first place..

This is how proper AO looks on grass in a daytime graphical environment. There is a distinct difference between that....

.......and this.

The lighting mechanic used here is just completely eliminating the AO. It looks great when the grass is in a shadow, but when its being illuminated by this light its just completely gone almost. It does not look good.

Last edited:
I think the best will be to wait for reviews, that will come out in 2 or 3 days.

Yes, those will only be PS4 reviews for now, but since the versions won't be that different anyway...

This is how proper AO looks on grass in a daytime graphical environment. There is a distinct difference between that and this.

i dont see anyone complaining about the "obvious 2d grass" in this picture.... clearly seen on the lower right side of the screen....

what do you guys think they have been doing this delayed months ?? optimization or by other words cutting things to get a decent frame rate.
This is like a small blanket you cover your head and your feet are out, they had to make decisions , no loading times, tons of different npcs, entering in most of buildings , etc. so of course a lot of graphics sacrifice had to be made simple as that.

what bothers me its the way they build games now, back in the old days they build a game with very little engine demands then build up till decent frame rate can be handle, so when you saw the final game is was way better then the first screenshots, now the mechanics its inverse they build heavy on the engine then starts the cutting, that's why so many modern games suffer from "downgrade" problems.

Regarding the lightning Adam Badowski said: "...During the development works, the rendering engine that provides, e.g., the lighting, was changed. “I think that there will be locations that will look jaw-dropping, and no one will claim that they differ from what was seen in the trailer. Unfortunately, there will also be fragments where the game will look worse..."
Unfortunately he didn't said why the engine was change but I have an idea why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom