The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
After 2 downgrade threads.... Do we really need another one? I know people can just make a new thread, and that's totally fine. But here are people that have joined the forum this month and are now complaining about a downgrade...

Go look at the other downgrade threads and see that this subject has already been extensively discussed.
The first thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32644-Obvious-Downgrade
The second Thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34018-Graphic-downgrade

And not to mention the plethora of small threads that popped up besides and between these two big ones.... On the English side of the forum.

Edit:
Originally Posted by Arius87
It's actually the other way round. They spent months in downgrading the game so it can run smoothly on 1080p/60fps. It is called the optimization process but it's not the game that was advertised anymore.
And if only 1% can run the game? So be it. Every game that has groundbreaking graphics at its time has this trait that only few people can run it on their rigs. Thats actually the point about groundbreaking visuals.
Someone who has a clue! thanks for that.
Right because investing a lot of money and time (more money) for that 1% is a really good business tactic. Sure a lot more people will enjoy the game on higher settings as time goes on, but it doesn't mean more sales. And CDPR or CDP is still a company that needs to pay the bills.

Last edited:
I dunno why I'm bothering, but I'm posting this in case any are interested.

This was written by somebody who's apparently played the game. (was quoted on neogaf, take it how you will)

Yes, I agree that there's been a very visually inconsistent flow of material released about the game, thus far. But quite a lot of those released shots, look at least on par with / if not better than the E3 35 minute gameplay footage (minus a few things got to do with water/blood)

Here's a couple of random shots below. To alleviate those ugly comparisons that were cherry-picked to make the game look worse than it is.

I'm choosing to trust CDPR. That they'll hold up to their promises.

Game is out in less than nine days, so hopefully all the naysayers will be proven wrong then =)
Well that is certainly interesting. If the opening area was added late in the game, that could explain why it isn't as brilliant as the rest of the game. From someone who played the game no less.

It's actually the other way round. They spent months in downgrading the game so it can run smoothly on 1080p/60fps. It is called the optimization process but it's not the game that was advertised anymore.
And if only 1% can run the game? So be it. Every game that has groundbreaking graphics at its time has this trait that only few people can run it on their rigs. Thats actually the point about groundbreaking visuals.

Except The Witcher 3 is not meant to be a tech demo exclusively made for those who can afford high end systems. There are games like Ryse, Crysis or Order 1886 for that purpose. It's only my personal opinion but the only thing those games got right was the graphics, otherwise they were lazy, dull and soulless.

The Witcher 3 is a huge open world rpg with a complex choices and consequences system and tons of text, professionally voice acted (etc.etc.). If this game could only reach hardware enthusiasts exclusively, CDPR would go bankrupt instantly by producing a game with that level of complexity.

Last edited:
After 2 downgrade threads.... Do we really need another one? I know people can just make a new thread, and that's totally fine. But here are people that have joined the forum this month and are now complaining about a downgrade...

Go look at the other downgrade threads and see that this subject has already been extensively discussed.
The first thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32644-Obvious-Downgrade
The second Thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34018-Graphic-downgrade

And not to mention the plethora of small threads that popped up besides and between these two big ones.... On the English side of the forum.

Edit:

Right because investing a lot of money and time (more money) for that 1% is a really good business tactic. Sure a lot more people will enjoy the game on higher settings as time goes on, but it doesn't mean more sales. And CDPR or CDP is still a company that needs to pay the bills.

What made them evne possible to pay the bills and now be doing the 3rd installment was The Witcher 2, a PC benchmark game that no one could run at max when it launched.

It takes a lot more money and resources to make TWO differents games (you need to optimize two versions). And PC playes who can run these super setting are a minority (im a one of them). I prefer a game with superb gameplay, history and OST, than a bland game with beatiful graphics. They use their resources wisely (aproach a wider audience = more money, dont forget they dont work for nothing).

There are no two different games and I'm not talking about money. I talk about the game they were advertising over the last 2 years. I'm not demanding over super graphic settings, I demand the game that were already shown to us in the trailers. Nothing more nothing less.

Except The Witcher 3 is not meant to be a tech demo exclusively made for those who can afford high end systems. There are games like Ryse, Crysis of Order 1886 for that purpose. It's only my personal opinion but the only thing those games got right was the graphics, otherwise they were lazy, dull and soulless.

The Witcher 3 is a huge open world rpg with a complex choices and consequences system and tons of text, professionally voice acted (etc.etc.). If this game could only reach hardware enthusiasts exclusively, CDPR would go bankrupt instantly by producing a game with that level of complexity.

Isnt it great to say that those 3 games that are out are crap, but that the Witcher 3 is great, when it's not even out yet? makes sense.

Again, I'm pretty sure that the Witcher 3 will be a good game, and that it'll still look good, but that's not the point.

Except The Witcher 3 is not meant to be a tech demo exclusively made for those who can afford high end systems. There are games like Ryse, Crysis of Order 1886 for that purpose. It's only my personal opinion but the only thing those games got right was the graphics, otherwise they were lazy, dull and soulless.

Then they should have advertised it in another way with less impressive "in-game" footage. Sorry but this is not an argument.

Isnt it great to say that those 3 games that are out are crap, but that the Witcher 3 is great, when it's not even out yet? makes sense.

Again, I'm pretty sure that the Witcher 3 will be a good game, and that it'll still look good, but that's not the point.

Where did I say that The Witcher 3 was great? I never played it, but from what I have seen so far it looks pretty damn amazing. Also I love the first two games and I assume that TW3 will follow their trend. So I have rather high expectatitos, but I did not say that it was a great game.

As for those others... well - I repeat that it's my personal opinion - I think that they are nothing but empty and dull eye-candy: professionally made tech-demos. No offence.

Otherwise the point of my previous post was completely different.

Yeah I just am not a fan of white orchard. The yellow martian looking sands, the deep cyan waters..it looks...unnatural.

I am SO excited for No Man's Land..holy crap I am so excited.

I am excited for EVERYTHING else. Skellige Isles..I WANT.

Guys I am so excited for this game.

Then they should have advertised it in another way with less impressive "in-game" footage. Sorry but this is not an argument.

Wait so they basically should have done what by 2012/13 when the VGX Trailer was out... not show anything? The Point is.. that was how the Game looked at that time. Everyone who followed the development knew that CDPR said multiple times "Please beware that this is far from final,,, we will switch the game renderer soon and that could change this visuals drastically"

The question now would be if you can expect of the casual customer to be that informed.. i think in todays internet age you can! If you were REALLY interested in TW3 in 2013 you knew they were going to change the renderer.

So they showed what they had back then... then changed the Renderer AND had to realise how much weaker the new consoles are compared to the previous generation at its release.

So yes the game went through a drastic ENGINE related change and had the same problem games like Watch Dogs had.. the less powerfull than expected consoles.. TW development began around 2011.. early 2012.. over a year before the new consoles where out. Alot of developers miscalculated with the power they assumed the new consoles would have and had to "downgrade"..

Can we please shut down this thread? This stuff has completely taken over the pre-launch hype discussion. It has become so tiring and we have no where to actually talk about the game anymore without this nonsense being brought up.

Not a good idea. I think it's great that we have this thread, since it keeps all the downgrade talk at one place, otherwise it would infest the whole forum.

Can we please shut down this thread? This stuff has completely taken over the pre-launch hype discussion. It has become so tiring and we have no where to actually talk about the game anymore without this nonsense being brought up.

I agree with this. The "graphic" whine is just tedious. We should be discussing about the amazing ingame graphics, not about the "downgrade"

Well that is certainly interesting. If the opening area was added late in the game, that could explain why it isn't as brilliant as the rest of the game. From someone who played the game no less.

Heck, even the Sun in White Orchard isn't positioned properly - it rises in the West. So, it's clear they didn't exactly take their time with that particular area :p

Anyway, I can see some people are discussing tech demos and other games - not the topic of this thread. Don't be surprised if posts start disappearing again soon. The topic of this thread is discussing the game's visuals, not what you or somebody else disliking the visuals means in the scope of the gaming industry etc.

Also, discussing the existence of this thread and how moderators should handle it is another example of off-topic discussion.

Last edited:
Heck, even the Sun in White Orchard isn't positioned properly - it rises in the West. So, it's clear they didn't exactly take their time with that particular area :p

Anyway, I can see some people are discussing tech demos and other games - not the topic of this thread. Don't be surprised if posts start disappearing again soon. The topic of this thread is discussing the game's visuals, not what you or somebody else disliking the visuals means in the scope of the gaming industry etc.

Also, discussing the existence of this thread and how moderators should handle it is another example of off-topic discussion.

Am I the only one who likes White Orchard and its atmosphere? It somewhat reminds me of the first game. It has this nostalgic, rustic wibe: a mixture of Murky Waters and the Outskirts of Wizima.

I thought that they resolved the sunrise-sunset / East-West issue.

Am I the only one who likes White Orchard and its atmosphere? It somewhat reminds me of the first game. It has this nostalgic, rustic wibe: a mixture of Murky Waters and the Outskirts of Wizima.

I'm not a fan of it, to be honest. To me, it doesn't feel like TW1 - at least from what I've seen. Not that it looks bad, but I slightly dislike the general vibe of the area. It's the orange sand I believe. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom