The Witcher 3 - Visuals

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait so they basically should have done what by 2012/13 when the VGX Trailer was out... not show anything? The Point is.. that was how the Game looked at that time.
You have to realize that just few months ago devs said game will be able to look like those trailers, in fact devs haven't yet said that game won't be able to look 'as good'.
A lot of tech from what i've seen isn't going to be making into this game that has been developed, and has the ability to be turned on and off as evidenced by this

The only thing so far out of this that I know can be toggled on is hair/fur.

Last edited:
Wait so they basically should have done what by 2012/13 when the VGX Trailer was out... not show anything? The Point is.. that was how the Game looked at that time. Everyone who followed the development knew that CDPR said multiple times "Please beware that this is far from final,,, we will switch the game renderer soon and that could change this visuals drastically"

The question now would be if you can expect of the casual customer to be that informed.. i think in todays internet age you can! If you were REALLY interested in TW3 in 2013 you knew they were going to change the renderer.

So they showed what they had back then... then changed the Renderer AND had to realise how much weaker the new consoles are compared to the previous generation at its release.

So yes the game went through a drastic ENGINE related change and had the same problem games like Watch Dogs had.. the less powerfull than expected consoles.. TW development began around 2011.. early 2012.. over a year before the new consoles where out. Alot of developers miscalculated with the power they assumed the new consoles would have and had to "downgrade"..

VGX trailer was december 2013. So right at the time of the intial rele of XBox One and PS4. And the SoD trailer was E3 2014. Just sayin...
VGX was clearly as in-game footage marked and the Comnunity Manager Marcin Momot stated once that the scenes out of the SoD were reproducable ingame.

Last edited:
White Orchard is the "prologue" area right? Or is it Kaer Morhen?

Is White Orchard separated by a loading screen? That would be sweet if the rest of the actual game world looked a lot better.

some of the recent screenshots and gif posted around here definitely look gorgeous. Particularly ones with a lot of shadows.... but the moment you get a bright sunny day without any tree cover, the grass turns into a very ugly mess since the ambient occlusion seems to disappear almost entirely in the lighting like I stated earlier on page 235.

it doesn't even seem the time of day affects it either other than maybe night time. The gif image with the red monster charging geralt looks to be during a sunset or sundown, and the ambient occlusion on the grass still hasn't improved. seems like the ambient occlusion really only works properly if the grass itself is under shadows from trees or buildings.

Those shots with a lot of tree cover though do look amazing, and I am looking forward to the game after seeing them. But I honestly really believe there's a real problem with direct light and ambient occlusion at this point for foliage. I mean not even the sunset/sundown is changing it much, its just odd.

Last edited:
White Orchard is the "prologue" area right? Or is it Kaer Morhen?

Is White Orchard separated by a loading screen? That would be sweet if the rest of the actual game world looked a lot better.

Kaer Morhen is the tutorial area, White Orchard is the prologue area. And yes, the latter is a separate location (actually both are, and they're accessible later on in the game as far as I know).

I've watched the continuation of that GIF, and all I can say is the game seriously needs a day one patch and AO doesn't work well on bright scenes

I've watched the continuation of that GIF, and all I can say is the game seriously needs a day one patch and AO doesn't work well on bright scenes

While I'm not too sure if there's an ambient occlusion problem in general(there very well might be). I think a lot of the 'wierd' looking lighting on grass / trees etc, might be attributed to the translucency tech. It's been looking kind of off looking in bright conditions.

That was taken on the PS4:s internal share feature. So resolution is 720p and colors are washed out. Maybe it even affects how shadows are recorded ie pop-in.

Funny thing: they mentioned in the article (highlighted it in fact) that it was captured with a feature of PS4 (720p and overall lower quality) so that people wouldn't cry about any "downgrading".

Could you please NOT post gifs from the opening areas of the game? I'm avoiding any kind of spoiler from the opening and someone just posted a leaked gif, I'm glad I saw it just for a millisecond....

Could you please NOT post gifs from the opening areas of the game? I'm avoiding any kind of spoiler from the opening and someone just posted a leaked gif, I'm glad I saw it just for a millisecond....

Second that one! Please if you use NEWEST footage and gifs from the tutorials use SPOILER tags please

AO doesn't work well on bright scenes

As I have mentioned earlier I believe how the grass looks like in bright lit scenes is a change that was done on purpose.

And here is what the grass used to look like in bright lit scenes (from 35 minute demo).

I did notice first thing in some of the new footage that in certain lighting, the grass and trees look very cartoony as opposed to realistic. Kinda ruins that gritty 'real' kinda atmosphere (that you see in older trailer footage) the game had before. But I guess that's just how it goes. In order to make it work for consoles anyhow.

Despite being downgraded to oblivion, the different between PCs and Consoles is still pretty big. Really shows how much these new Consoles are underpowered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom