The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

+
The Brazilian Gaming Media is booming with the 16 free DLCs news.4

"With free expansions, The Witcher 3 declares war on culture of DLCs" - http://gamehall.uol.com.br/network/expansoes-gratuitas-para-the-witcher-3.htm
"THE WITCHER 3: WILD HUNT WILL COUNT WITH 16 DLCS, ALL FREE!" - http://jovemnerd.com.br/jovem-nerd-...ild-hunt-vai-contar-com-16-dlcs-todos-gratis/
"The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will feature 16 free DLCs" - http://www.gamevicio.com/i/noticias...hunt-contara-com-16-dlcs-gratuitos/index.html

The majority pf opinions are very good.

Awesome, not surprised by Brazil. But some popular webs like 3dJuegos (Spain) didn't said a single word of this. Not surprised either about that attitude

If politicians had the philosophy they have (CDPR), world would be saved.

I see many complains about the dlcs not being part of the game and that they had to be on it. Geralt's DLC hair and Beard aren't in the main game because that isn't important and isn't part of the story, i said this in the earlier post. Is obvious that this things are little and logic to be on a DLC. Others complain about being like that. little., of course i don't agree with any of this.

Last edited:
OMG so awesome I really love CD Projekt Red :cheers: more love for you awesome game developers my only wish is if this game gets released this December 31 ahahahah

I love you so much CDPR!!!! This is the best news ever!

I shall use this to try and persuade more of my friends to buy the Witcher 3!

Respect!

I just came here to give big respect to best gaming company! When I heard that Witcher 3 will not have any protection ( DRM and other shit that harm only buyers and game supporters) I decide without thinking that I will buy Witcher 3. I spend lot time with Witcher 1 and 2 and I didnt regret that I give money for them, I am sure that Witcher 3 will blow me! Now, when I read that we will get 16 free DLC I decide to buy two copies and gift one copy to someone on steam. Few days before game is out I will came here on forum and chose one person who have steam account to gift him copy. I dont know yet how will I choose lucky person but I would like to gift someone who dont have money to buy it. Best of luck and I hope that people will support CD Project Red, we need more companies like this! Thank you

So I'm just catching up today, got as far as page 15 and thought I could give the rest a miss since it seems the same question was recurring that was answered on every page previously - why don't people read at least a few pages before posting eh! - "why this content not part of release version?", answer... its the natural result of the development process going gold for DVD pressing.

Nothing remotely suspicious there, fact is the RED's have clearly decided that their period of working on the game - for the payment received at product launch - is up until launch itself at least. That some gamers are freaking out about this crazy unfamiliar situation just proves how accustomed we've become to the dubious practices that can be generalised by the term "DLC". Other companies go gold and move on to new money making - some would say money grubbing - practices immediately, while the RED's are stating they're with us all the way.

Don't take me wrong, it's really a great move towards their costumers but how and when it's announced it's 100% marketing

Marketing scheme...not harmful put pointless, especially given the date of the announcement (hint: months before the release of the game itself).

Nothing wrong with getting your message out there, nothing wrong with marketing when its honest, too seldom it is these days, more often its a shade of manipulation. But I don't see that at all in this announcement or strategy, I see a Message, perhaps even a Challenge, a slap with the gauntlet to the face of others, and a good clear resounding statement of solidarity from the REDs standing with us gamers, a much needed thing these days we should only be thanking them for.

Isn't it what you would like to say to the other companies if you had a loud enough voice to be heard? Well, the REDs do, and they just did. ;)

For my part its a real joy to get confirmation that theres at least one exception in gaming to Yeats' rule of the modern age "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity", and instead of following that dire outlook the REDs have chosen instead “There is another world, but it is in this one”.

Nothing wrong with getting your message out there, nothing wrong with marketing when its honest, too seldom it is these days, more often its a shade of manipulation. But I don't see that at all in this announcement or strategy, I see a Message, perhaps even a Challenge, a slap with the gauntlet to the face of others, and a good clear resounding statement of solidarity from the REDs standing with us gamers, a much needed thing these days we should only be thanking them for.

Isn't it what you would like to say to the other companies if you had a loud enough voice to be heard? Well, the REDs do, and they just did. ;)
Amen.

Just saw that thread.

This is beyond generous. If I wasn't already before, consider me a loyal fan of CDPR.
Suck that Ubisoft, EA and Square Enix !!! :2guns: :fish:

:hatsoff: :cheers: :victory: :unworthy:

PS: We definitely need a "CD Project Red"-logo smiley.

Last edited:

For my part its a real joy to get confirmation that theres at least one exception in gaming to Yeats' rule of the modern age "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity", and instead of following that dire outlook the REDs have chosen instead “There is another world, but it is in this one”.

I do agree the message is clear and puts CDPR in a different (an better) position than most of developers. But i don't see it honest at all. Perpetuating the idea than extra skins, one armor or a 1h mission are worth DLC, free or paid, it's the core of the problem. 10 years ago you got a complete game and if it did sell well you got a complete expansion. And you payed it cause it was worth. Now you got a "complete" game and then a lot of extras which should be in the game already, or not be at all.

So yes, the move makes CDPR be nicer to players/costumers but just validating a really crappy developing policy AND being proud of it.

And i do like how CDPR does their games, check when i did register, i'm a huge fan of Geralt Universe including the games, not a bad feeling at all about this great company, just think is a move which isn't really good for gaming industry even it's nice for TW3 players.

P.S: Most games go gold 3-4 weeks max before launch, not 3,5 months and they said they are already working on DLCs

Last edited:
P.S: Most games go gold 3-4 weeks max before launch, not 3,5 months and they said they are already working on DLCs

Code freeze is typically 3-4 months before release, going gold is the end of this phase, not the start. As some of the DLC is new quests then yes, they should be working on them already and no, they shouldn't go into the release version of the game. That ALWAYS results in bugs - "it's a trivial change, no need to test it" is the way to disaster in any kind of software development.

You're getting the full game. The choice is to produce these as later releases, to delay all of these until six months later with an expansion pack, or not to release them ever. The plan that they've announced is good for the fans, because they can get them at the earliest possible date, and good publicity - it seems like a win-win.

But i don't see it honest at all. Perpetuating the idea than extra skins, one armor or a 1h mission are worth DLC, free or paid, it's the core of the problem. 10 years ago you got a complete game and if it did sell well you got a complete expansion. And you payed it cause it was worth. Now you got a "complete" game and then a lot of extras which should be in the game already, or not be at all.

First, please try and understand the basis of this - it is grounded in the software development lifecycle - a game must go "gold" a month before launch date so that all the DVDs can be made. Prior to the DLC phenomena developers would get to work on remaining bugs, or be moved on to the expansion pack. There will always be some elements planned that can not be finalised in time. The Industry has gone the route of monetising these "late-comers", that is the source of many gamer frustrations of recent years (of course then some devs took the complete piss by pass-locking finished content present on the gold discs - that is not the case here, the extra content will require download).

So, those bits that just couldn't be finished in time, if you are a conviction developer who does not want to cash in on gamers need for completion, should they just be thrown in the bin?

Now, I can't speak for the REDs intentions, but I see in the manner of this release, a clear statement of intent, like I said maybe even a Challenge, a "wake the feck up" slap to the greed mongers who pollute our hobby with the disrespectful disconnect between producer & consumer that has caused so much friction, bad feeling and distrust. I suspect others - more appropriate others - will see that too, and see a company prepared to not be greedy, to put the integrity of the gaming experience above a few extra sheckles.

As for the timescale, In my world that may be quite deliberate, with a particular target in mind, a fallen angel as it were. And again in the practicalities of the development lifecycle it would not be uncommon to be able to predict which elements may not be ready in 4 months time.

Code freeze is typically 3-4 months before release, going gold is the end of this phase, not the start. As some of the DLC is new quests then yes, they should be working on them already and no, they shouldn't go into the release version of the game. That ALWAYS results in bugs - "it's a trivial change, no need to test it" is the way to disaster in any kind of software development.

You're getting the full game. The choice is to produce these as later releases, to delay all of these until six months later with an expansion pack, or not to release them ever. The plan that they've announced is good for the fans, because they can get them at the earliest possible date, and good publicity - it seems like a win-win.

First, please try and understand the basis of this - it is grounded in the software development lifecycle - a game must go "gold" a month before launch date so that all the DVDs can be made. Prior to the DLC phenomena developers would get to work on remaining bugs, or be moved on to the expansion pack. There will always be some elements planned that can not be finalised in time. The Industry has gone the route of monetising these "late-comers", that is the source of many gamer frustrations of recent years (of course then some devs took the complete piss by pass-locking finished content present on the gold discs - that is not the case here, the extra content will require download).

So, those bits that just couldn't be finished in time, if you are a conviction developer who does not want to cash in on gamers need for completion, should they just be thrown in the bin?

Now, I can't speak for the REDs intentions, but I see in the manner of this release, a clear statement of intent, like I said maybe even a Challenge, a "wake the feck up" slap to the greed mongers who pollute our hobby with the disrespectful disconnect between producer & consumer that has caused so much friction, bad feeling and distrust. I suspect others - more appropriate others - will see that too, and see a company prepared to not be greedy, to put the integrity of the gaming experience above a few extra sheckles.

As for the timescale, In my world that may be quite deliberate, with a particular target in mind, a fallen angel as it were. And again in the practicalities of the development lifecycle it would not be uncommon to be able to predict which elements may not be ready in 4 months time.

It's pretty obvious you didn't read/understand me, i respect you do like what it's done regarding DLC, i did point exactly this kind of DLC (at least the 4 already announced) shouldn't be part of any game transaction, so CDPR not charging it it's the way to go, like they did and got deserved credit for it in he first 2 games. Being so proud of it and praising themselves makes the move way less valuable in my eyes cause it's moved to marketing/slap in the face of other companies and not just a costumer caring policy. And makes me wonder if it's just part of the game not put on it in release so they can just use as a marketing move, the deliver proccess (2 every week just after realease) just makes it even more "suspicious".

Being so proud of it and praising themselves makes the move way less valuable in my eyes cause it's moved to marketing/slap in the face of other companies and not just a costumer caring policy. And makes me wonder if it's just part of the game not put on it in release so they can just use as a marketing move, the deliver proccess (2 every week just after realease) just makes it even more "suspicious".

Well if I'm misunderstanding you, then I'd have to say you are misunderstanding the REDs. I don't see what you describe at all. I don't see ostentatious pride evident. I see a continuation of the attitude the REDs have espoused for a long time, and I for one am happy to see it stated so clearly from the top, because it would also be fair to say many people were concerned - and have voiced those concerns in this very forum whenever theres been a contentious event - that "the corrupting taint of success" could spread even to their independent hearts.

I respect what you are saying, and I'm trying to talk to you in appropriate terms, and believe me I'm a cynical bastard too, but only when I see reason to be... and I see no reason here at all, quite the opposite in fact, I see hope.

What would you have liked them to do?

It's pretty obvious you didn't read/understand me, i respect you do like what it's done regarding DLC, i did point exactly this kind of DLC (at least the 4 already announced) shouldn't be part of any game transaction, so CDPR not charging it it's the way to go, like they did and got deserved credit for it in he first 2 games. Being so proud of it and praising themselves makes the move way less valuable in my eyes cause it's moved to marketing/slap in the face of other companies and not just a costumer caring policy. And makes me wonder if it's just part of the game not put on it in release so they can just use as a marketing move, the deliver proccess (2 every week just after realease) just makes it even more "suspicious".

So, a direct explanation from CDPR employees in this very thread is not enough?

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...or-everyone!?p=1453874&viewfull=1#post1453874

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...or-everyone!?p=1453921&viewfull=1#post1453921

Also, as Dragonbird already explained, it's not like they are working on the game code right until the day it goes gold. I imagine they still need time to do QA/testing, so it's a few months before release when the code is "frozen". From that point, part of the team that has finished their work - like art or quest designers - can start working on additional content. Who knows, maybe they already have some work in progress, but the producers and QA said - no way, this stuff is not going to make it for release.

I think your suspicious attitude and the fact you question their intentions to be related simply to customer care raises an interesting point. This move should be perceived as a normal way of caring about your customers, but in this world, where most other companies act exactly opposite and milk their customers for DLCs and Season Passes, it is perceived as a "slap in the other companies face". But it's not that way because of CDPR's bad intentions, it's because of the state the market is currently in.

Well if I'm misunderstanding you, then I'd have to say you are misunderstanding the REDs. I don't see what you describe at all. I don't see ostentatious pride evident. I see a continuation of the attitude the REDs have espoused for a long time, and I for one am happy to see it stated so clearly from the top, because it would also be fair to say many people were concerned - and have voiced those concerns in this very forum whenever theres been a contentious event - that "the corrupting taint of success" could spread even to their independent hearts.

I respect what you are saying, and I'm trying to talk to you in appropriate terms, and believe me I'm a cynical bastard too, but only when I see reason to be... and I see no reason here at all, quite the opposite in fact, I see hope.

What would you have liked them to do?

Me? Stop supporting the "cheap" DLC policy, even giving it for free. Make worth DLCs (like price of Neutrality quest for TW1 for not mentioning other companies) and charge it if needed. Don't make this kind of statement : http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...or-everyone!?p=1453685&viewfull=1#post1453685 to look like you ONLY care about gamers cause that proper statement is more aimed to other companies (specially this month)
I just have my doubts about how and why they did this, not just what they did.

So, a direct explanation from CDPR employees in this very thread is not enough?

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...or-everyone!?p=1453874&viewfull=1#post1453874

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...or-everyone!?p=1453921&viewfull=1#post1453921

Also, as Dragonbird already explained, it's not like they are working on the game code right until the day it goes gold. I imagine they still need time to do QA/testing, so it's a few months before release when the code is "frozen". From that point, part of the team that has finished their work - like art or quest designers - can start working on additional content. Who knows, maybe they already have some work in progress, but the producers and QA said - no way, this stuff is not going to make it for release.

I think your suspicious attitude and the fact you question their intentions to be related simply to customer care raises an interesting point. This move should be perceived as a normal way of caring about your customers, but in this world, where most other companies act exactly opposite and milk their customers for DLCs and Season Passes, it is perceived as a "slap in the other companies face". But it's not that way because of CDPR's bad intentions, it's because of the state the market is currently in.

Obviously they are not gonna say "we could have added this in time but then we couldn't show us as the good nice guys of industry" Why did they announce it 4 months in advance? Why did announce such amount, in such precise deliver planning and all so close to launch?
My suspicious is a combination of crappy treatment of most devs towards their costumers AND how CDPR has done this campaign, and how deeply it difers from TW1 and 2 dlcs.

I think the presence of DLC is a consequence of timetabling and scheduling with the QA and release lead times needed on a 100+ hour game, which needs lengthy certification processes at MS & Sony in addition to internal testing.

There is however a very clear, if minor element of rubbing the noses of the scummier parts of the industry...

Note that the "Temerian Armour set", which is only one of 4 DLC on day one, "comes with horse armour included". This is a deliberately worded and packaged component. Horse armour is only a minor element of this DLC, and it isn't being individually sold for $5.99 though it does absolutely nothing in game...

I *suspect* that this one might even be 'ready' but was held back for making this point, but I may only be being cynical...

Top Bottom