The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

+
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt -- 16 free DLCs for everyone!

Open Letter from Marcin Iwiński, co-founder and Joint CEO of CD PROJEKT RED.

“We love games. We love collecting them, playing them, and everything connected to that experience. Every time we reach out for a new release, we expect to be taken care of. We expect support if we encounter any problems, we love updates constantly improving the experience, and we feel really special when we receive free content that gives us more than we initially paid for. It doesn’t have to be huge, it can be an awesome skin for a character, or an extra sword, or armor.

Unfortunately this treatment is quite rare these days. As gamers, we nowadays have to hold on tight to our wallets, as surprisingly right after release, lots of tiny pieces of tempting content materialize with a steep price tag attached. Haven’t we just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game?

As CD PROJEKT RED, we strongly believe this is not the way it should work and, with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we have decided to do it differently. Cutting to the chase, everyone who buys Wild Hunt will receive 16 specially prepared DLCs absolutely for free, regardless of platform. You don’t have to pre-order, you don’t have to buy any special edition to get them -- if you own a copy of Wild Hunt, they’re yours. This is our way of saying thank you for buying our game.”

Regards,
Marcin

The FREE DLC program for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt consists of 16 entirely free DLCs, that will be available for every gamer owning a copy of Wild Hunt, for Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, PC, and PlayStation®4, and is applicable to all versions (digital or physical, standard or Collector’s).

On May 20th we will release the first bundle of DLCs (2 of the planned 16) -- the Temerian Armor Set (horse armor included) and a Beard and Hairstyle Set for Geralt, the game’s protagonist. After this date, a DLC bundle consisting of two DLCs will be published every week, entirely for free. Gamers are entitled to the free DLC regardless of obtaining the game via pre-order or after launch. Instructions on how to obtain DLCs on specific platforms will be provided at a later date.

For additional details about the 16 FREE DLC program, please refer to the below QA

Q: What do I have to do to receive the 16 free DLCs?
A: The only thing you need to do to receive the 16 DLCs is purchase The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. All of the DLCs will be available for free on every platform (i.e. Xbox One, PC, and PlayStation 4).

Q: Do I have to pre-order to get the free DLCs?
A: No, each piece of content will be available for download regardless of you buying the game before or after launch on May 19th, 2015.

Q: I have the standard version of the game (i.e. not the Collector’s Edition). Do I still get the free DLCs?
A: Yes. You get the 16 DLCs regardless of the version of the game you bought (i.e. standard or Collector's, digital or physical).

Q: What’s the plan? When can I expect the DLCs to be released?
A: The plan is to release a new DLC bundle (each bundle contains two DLCs) on a weekly basis, following the game’s launch May 19th, 2015. The first DLC bundle will be released the next day on May 20th. The next bundle will be available for download a week after that, on May 27th, the next on June 3rd, and so on. The first bundle will contain the Temerian Armor Set and a Beard and Hairstyle Set for Geralt. The second bundle will contain an additional quest and an alternative look for one of the game’s main characters -- Yennefer of Vengerberg.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is available for pre-order at buy.thewitcher.com.

A bit of a shame DLC will come post launch, wonder if anyone will hold off playing it because of that. :p

Hah! no, just means I'll be doing multiple playthroughs when they do. :p

Looking forward to it REDs (though I'm just looking forward to the game in general) and appreciate the support you'll be giving the game even after it's out! That's a lot of DLC and considering it is all free makes it that much sweeter.

Last edited:
I love you CDPR for free DLCs, but why not instead having them in the main game already like in an add-ons list to enable or not?

But still, thank you for actual FREE DLCs, I hope more developers will be like you in the future.

I'm not going to say no to free stuff, but this kind of seems a little odd.

Why not just bundle it with the base game?

(Glad I didn't get hyped).

It's amazing how simple is to keep gamers happy and how difficult does the so called AAA companies make it seem SOOOO dificult.

Thanks a lot for your hard, accurate, beautiful and gorgous work.

Keep it up REDs!

I'm not going to say no to free stuff, but this kind of seems a little odd.

Why not just bundle it with the base game?

(Glad I didn't get hyped).

This looked a bit strange to me as well, but then I thought of this possible explanation: the game goes gold (i.e. physical copies are made) several weeks prior to the release date. At this point the whole game should be polished to the maximum possible extent. Offering this content as DLCs lets CDPR to not include this content in the physical copies of the game, which allows them to have more time (these extra several weeks) polishing this content. This frees their hands to polish all the other stuff a bit better before the game goes gold.

I love you CDPR for free DLCs, but why not instead having them in the main game already like in an add-ons list to enable or not?

But still, thank you for actual FREE DLCs, I hope more developers will be like you in the future.

Probably because it gives them the time to focus on the core game right now without diverting resources to more cosmetic stuff or things that can be more easily added in after the fact. Just gives more polish time all around for all the content, both standard game and DLC.

Probably because it gives them the time to focus on the core game right now without diverting resources to more cosmetic stuff or things that can be more easily added in after the fact. Just gives more polish time all around for all the content, both standard game and DLC.

If it gives them more time to polish the game, I will wait for that damn Mine quest and Yennefer alternative look DLCs, hahahahaha

Top Bottom