The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - An Open Letter

+
so we are shifting the release date of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt to May 19th, 2015.

They just reiterated this past weekend at the Video Game Awards that it was launching in February. What the hell happened in 3 days?

Well fuck. I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise. Being independent means they can delay again and fix what's needed. That's the good news. It shows as well they're intent on a solid launch. On the other hand, I hope this game isn't in development hell.

@Jack Bauer 24: My guess is this stuff is reviewed constantly by team leads and the board. Could be everyone got the news around the same time we did. I recall saying a while back maybe they should delay again. 3 years just didn't seem like enough time for such an ambitious game.

Last edited:

No way a decision to delay can be made in that time. It has to be a decision that was mostly worked out beforehand, then announced in response to criticism of the problems revealed by the trailer.

Real engineering decisions to delay a product are made only after you have made your best effort to identify all the problems that must be fixed, how long it will take to fix them, who has to be reassigned to fixing them, and what happens to the other work they were doing. This does not take a small number of days.

Holy shit! im surprised how much the devs listen to us the fans.

I remember when there was a thread asking us years ago what we wanted for W3:

I remember i had asked to see an appearance from Ciri, some other dude had dreamed of an open world where he could go to villages and hunt monsters, others had asked for yen. etc etc.

later i had asked/suggested of a badass ciri that would use her teleportation in combat and in latest trailer i saw that,

theres even a strong possibility that my silly fanboy dream of playing a bit as ciri is going to happen.

then when people were freaking out on the latest trailer i said that if anyone at CDP was listening that if they needed to take another delay, us the fans would understand( i hope i was right)

So yeah, Honestly Im starting to fell like CDP is listening to everything i say.. So...if anyone at CDP is reading this... you know what would be awesome? if Geralt could ride a griffyn as a mount :p (im jking) anyway take your times guys we will be patiently waiting here cutting our wrists in agony :p

I don't know how business deals and partnership works in gaming industry, so this comment probably is ignorant.
But as a fan I wish they had not announced the new release date so soon, and I believe 12 weeks is too short of a delay for a game of this magnitude. They should have said that the game is delayed until we feel confident that it's the best experience we can deliver. And they could have given the public a release date, when the game was completely finished.
I know there are business aspects to this decision, and there were talks behind close doors for a long time, and they have made this decision based on calculations, figures and other professional practices. But a part of me still asks, if the team was not under time pressure how far they could have pushed the Witcher 3.
The Witcher 3 is a very huge leap for CDPR, and there are a lot of things that can go wrong and need to get fixed. I am sure they are trying their hardest, and they will deliver the best they can in this period. But I think they could have done more if the delay was longer.
I applaud the decision to delay the game, and give the fans and customer the best they can.

I think the mistake are too much for this times in gaming, the trust is difficult to sustain. We need more info and sincerity here. I want to know how the game is now with a large gameplay and things like map size and other things people want to know about the game.

CDPR need to put some light on this more than apologize and admit the problems they had.

Holy shit! im surprised how much the devs listen to us the fans.

I remember when there was a thread asking us years ago what we wanted for W3:

I remember i had asked to see an appearance from Ciri, some other dude had dreamed of an open world where he could go to villages and hunt monsters, others had asked for yen. etc etc.

later i had asked/suggested of a badass ciri that would use her teleportation in combat and in latest trailer i saw that,

theres even a strong possibility that my silly fanboy dream of playing a bit as ciri is going to happen.

then when people were freaking out on the latest trailer i said that if anyone at CDP was listening that if they needed to take another delay, us the fans would understand( i hope i was right)

So yeah, Honestly Im starting to fell like CDP is listening to everything i say.. So...if anyone at CDP is reading this... you know what would be awesome? if Geralt could ride a griffyn as a mount :p (im jking) anyway take your times guys we will be patiently waiting here cutting our wrists in agony :p

Oh come on now you getting greedy ^^ be a bit more modest ^^
Ask gently for a own PC UI closer to TW1 with shaking 3D medallion instead the clowing one ^^ and nice
meditation timer and also a nice looking alchemy brewing screen

:D :D :D

Oh and don t forget to ask about that Triss X Yennefer X Geralt threesome we definatly will get with this DELAY hehehehe

:animier::wub: heheheh

and now i ll run and hide :sofa:

PS: you know i love you Triss <3 don t you?

:mean:

What are you implying? A company isn't going to take a huge decision(not to mention huge risk) of delaying a game simply because a few people on the internet noticed that the models and textures in the trailer were of really low quality. It's not something you do lightly, it takes a lot of money/manhours and risks the relationship with the investors.

This graphic downgrade is nonsence, they are probably having some mayor problems with the engine... as they are the developers and it's brand new they (I guess) are running with (who knows) huge memory leaks, instability or tweaking the level of detail of such huge enviroments... but textures not been crispy enough... pfff can't believe that... in the worst of cases they can always release a post release texture pack... C'mon guys!

What are you implying? A company isn't going to take a huge decision(not to mention huge risk) of delaying a game simply because a few people on the internet noticed that the models and textures in the trailer were of really low quality. It's not something you do lightly, it takes a lot of money/manhours and risks the relationship with the investors.
I'm implying that they aren't really happy themselves with the current state of the game. Isn't that what they told us in the open letter?

The thread I linked is just a sign that people who don't work at CDPR mentioned some of these problems themselves. But I'd personally guess that the problems are much more severe than the few sloppy textures in the trailer...

No way a decision to delay can be made in that time. It has to be a decision that was mostly worked out beforehand, then announced in response to criticism of the problems revealed by the trailer.

Real engineering decisions to delay a product are made only after you have made your best effort to identify all the problems that must be fixed, how long it will take to fix them, who has to be reassigned to fixing them, and what happens to the other work they were doing. This does not take a small number of days.

That is what they are saying buddy, what happen , happen that in those three days the "bad trailer" storm was too strong to ignore.

I think the game were going to have some issues at release, and now they want it CLEAN by fear of what would happen. The Reactions are being too strong against cdpr ..... exaggerated. The Delay is fine.

What i don't get is the time, three months seems a lot, but probably is the right time.

This. For me at least, the May release date is perfect. I'll be done with school two weeks after that and then have the whole summer to enjoy the masterpiece that is Witcher 3 :thumbup:

Shouldn't you kids go outside in summer, doing some sports with friends or at least laying in the sun? Or how about real holidays?I personally think summer is the worst time for playing and releasing video games...

We need more info and sincerity here.

Who a hell is "we"? You personally want lots of stuff from them right now, but I don't think there is any "we' here with the same urge.

Shouldn't you kids go outside in summer, doing some sports with friends or at least laying in the sun? Or how about real holidays?I personally think summer is the worst time for playing and releasing video games...

Actually, the worst time is Sept-May, because kids should have better things to do, like school/college. Playing video games at expense of study time is, well, very unreasonable. Summer is perfect, with enough time for everything.

Last edited:
Could it be that part of the root is problems implementing acceptable performance of the Gameworks features on console hardware (all AMD), and this being the estimated time of delivery from NVIDIA/ATI? There may be few serious issues in house but a reliance on external delivery.

There was definitely a serious glitch in the Hair of Caranthir's armour in the latest trailer, maybe this happens too often to be acceptable on loading a new asset?

Pure speculation - and maybe there is a need to redo some assets, or to rework part of the engine to eliminate serious bugs... we may never know, or it may become clear as the issues are fixed and progress is reported/game released.
I've worked with Alpha and Beta testing in the past, and I know that any testing can throw up a "game breaking" bug (even when the software isn't a game)... these have to be addressed before release, and will often cause delays because of how tight release schedules are (you have to retest all aspects of the software (at least cursorily) after significant code changes to ensure no unanticipated side effects are caused by these changes.

Some really simple bugs can have massive impacts on functionality these can be trivial to fix, but very hard to identify and isolate.

I don't know how business deals and partnership works in gaming industry, so this comment probably is ignorant.
But as a fan I wish they had not announced the new release date so soon, and I believe 12 weeks is too short of a delay for a game of this magnitude. They should have said that the game is delayed until we feel confident that it's the best experience we can deliver. And they could have given the public a release date, when the game was completely finished.
I know there are business aspects to this decision, and there were talks behind close doors for a long time, and they have made this decision based on calculations, figures and other professional practices. But a part of me still asks, if the team was not under time pressure how far they could have pushed the Witcher 3.
The Witcher 3 is a very huge leap for CDPR, and there are a lot of things that can go wrong and need to get fixed. I am sure they are trying their hardest, and they will deliver the best they can in this period. But I think they could have done more if the delay was longer.
I applaud the decision to delay the game, and give the fans and customer the best they can.

Agreed. I always thought, ever since the first delay, that they should have just said "2015". I wouldn't be surprise if they delay it yet again. Actually, if they see there are still things to improve in the game next to launch, they definitely should delay it again in my opinion. I am not worried about when i'm going to play, i am worried about what i will be playing, and that mean the best vision CDPR always wanted for this game.

Top Bottom