The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is coming to the next generation!

+
I am not saying that both techniques are used at the same time by the same object that casts lighting. A banal example would be to add RTX only to one lamp in the game. The rest of the scene uses rasterization. But when you go to settings and turn on RTX, rasterization for that one lamp disappears, and it's replaced with ray tracing. So only that one solitary lamp uses ray tracing, while the rest of the scene uses the same old lighting that's always been there. Obviously, you wouldn't do that to a single object. But it's just an example to illustrate what I mean.

you have no idea what you're talking about, i already told you there are games on my ps4 right now that looks better on my ps4 than Witcher 3 does at Max settings on PC, so there's no reason it should not be max settings on PS4 also which would still be worse looking than several other huge open world games on PS4 like Red Dead Redemption 2
hahaha ahahahah... put down the pipe yo! I have all of these games and the witcher 3 looks faaar better on pc than the rest of those do on ps4..... like not even close. speaking from experience.

Let me answer some questions that came up here.

This works with all versions of the game, physical and digital, standard and complete edition (aka. Game of the Year). You will receive the upgrade for the version of the game you own. If you only own the base game, without the expansions, you will receive the base game, not the complete edition. If you own the game on the physical disc, you will have to insert it to the console to play it.

This update is not dedicated to fixing existing bugs or adding new content, but to upgrading the current-gen version of the game when it is being played on the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 hardware. That means, among others, 4K, ray-tracing and faster lading times on next-gen consoles as well as ray-tracing and HDR for PC.

The update won’t change the game’s minimum requirements for PC, but in order to fully take advantage of it you, of course, need to have the appropriate hardware.

No mention of DLSS, huh? That's a shame. I have a feeling this is going to brutalize GPUs, might need a 4090 to really push it...

I really hope when they do this Next Gen stuff they add something that allows you to do +newgame more than once I have been playing this game for over a month now and have over 1000 hours down on it and I'm so afraid to start a +newgame now that I've started over because I know once +newgame is done the game is pointless since after your done their is no quests, No contracts or anything so you pretty much have nothing to do. I could redo this game over 100 times and I would never get bored of it but the loosing everything starting over is what is killing this game for me and it took me years to find a game I love now it's starting to feel like i have to give it up. I can't wait till they add this Next Generation stuff because i hate load screens that is if im still playing the game because this one +newgame and then your done is ruining the game for me

While I know this is a big request for a lot of people, I'm not thinking it's very likely. The devs had quite a time of it getting the existing NG+ to the state it's in now. It eventually required them to limit Geralt's level to 100 in order to avoid the game going all kinds of crazy. The system was never designed for continuous play (ala Dark Souls or Diablo). NG+ was added because of overwhelming demand, and I think it has stretched the engine about as far as it can go.

I am not saying that both techniques are used at the same time by the same object that casts lighting. A banal example would be to add RTX only to one lamp in the game. The rest of the scene uses rasterization. But when you go to settings and turn on RTX, rasterization for that one lamp disappears, and it's replaced with ray tracing. So only that one solitary lamp uses ray tracing, while the rest of the scene uses the same old lighting that's always been there. Obviously, you wouldn't do that to a single object. But it's just an example to illustrate what I mean.

Even if possible, I don't think there's any logical reason to do so. That's like saying music for a game will be chiptunes through the internal PC speaker, but we're going to record and playback just the woodwind section using .mp4 format. That would be like building a plane that uses propellers for flight, but it also has a small jet engine that runs on different fuel and is used only for taxiing around on the ground. I just wouldn't do that. If I'm going to record music, I'm going to record it all the same way so I don't need two different playback systems. If I'm going build a plane, I'm not going to install a jet engine for taxiing purposes, I'm going to install it for flight and no longer use propellers.

But, yeah, technically, anything is possible.

I'm willing to bet all the farms, however, that the upgrade will use 100% ray tracing as its lighting rendering.

Please, tell us the game will include DLSS. RTX without DLSS is a performance killer.

Last edited:

Guest 4414958

ya know it's sad i spent over 6 years looking for a Game to get into and Love and now thanks to that one game May very well give up Video games completely. I hate how people keep bringing up that Their is no ++newgame for the record their is no such thing as a ++newgame their is just +newgame and +newgame is suppose to mean you can play a keep a game constantly and keep starting over. I understand the fact that Witcher 3 was not intended to have a +newgame but it was the best choice CD PROJECKT RED could have ever done for Witcher 3 though who ever did it did not understand what a +newgame was. I bought the game with the assumption that +newgame meant you could play constantly and enjoy the game over and over again and now I may be very careful if i ever buy a game with +newgame on it, because I will wonder if its really true or not. I can't even play any of my other PS4 games now thanks to the fact that I've got so into this game, but Im too afraid to even finish the game now since i know when your done with everything the game is pretty much dead with nothing to do. I understand this may get me removed from this site after i post this comment, but I just wanted to voice my opinion and its sad that a game that has so much potential is left to rot due to the fact that it was made to where once you have done everything 2 times your forced to delete all of your hard work to start over again and loose 80+ levels and everything you farmed along the way that completely destroys the Fun in a game and its what destroyed it for me....if in the event this gets me banned from the site I understand and you mods can do just that if you want but Witcher 3 was fun as hell to play though please tell PROJEKT next time they add a +newgame to explain to people that it does not mean you can keep playing it because I feel like a tornado came in and destroyed everything right now I loved this game and now I have to find a way to walk away from it and its not so easy when you Love a game as much as I loved witcher 3...but starting over 100 times and loosing everything is like working hard on something only to have it taken away from you.

This update is not dedicated to fixing existing bugs or adding new content, but to upgrading the current-gen version of the game when it is being played on the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 hardware. That means, among others, 4K, ray-tracing and faster lading times on next-gen consoles as well as ray-tracing and HDR for PC.

Of course but that doesn't totally exclude bug correction right? I mean the physic npc don't work properly at 60+ fps. Even Geralt Hair. So those things should at least be adressed for a true next gen upgrade right?

Let me answer some questions that came up here.

This works with all versions of the game, physical and digital, standard and complete edition (aka. Game of the Year). You will receive the upgrade for the version of the game you own. If you only own the base game, without the expansions, you will receive the base game, not the complete edition. If you own the game on the physical disc, you will have to insert it to the console to play it.

The update won’t change the game’s minimum requirements for PC, but in order to fully take advantage of it you, of course, need to have the appropriate hardware.
Yes but if i want to buy the Xbox Series S that doesn't have disc drive , how do i download the game if u have it in disc?

Yes but if i want to buy the Xbox Series S that doesn't have disc drive , how do i download the game if u have it in disc?

For that, players will likely need to re-purchase digital copies. I'm not sure if Microsoft plans to honor past purchases with digital codes (which would certainly be the way to honor their customers and encourage future business), but that's up to the marketplaces (Microsoft and Sony stores).

Guest 4414958

I would like to give cd projekt red a special thank you for driving me to consider going back to college and getting into Creating a Video game like Witcher 3 (though i won't use anything from that game since i know copyright laws). I can't stand the fact that Witcher 3 was not given a real +newgame so i am going to go back to college and create a game 100 times better than witcher 3 and give it a +newgame so that people can enjoy the game and never be stuck with a dead map with no quests or anything...this game was the best game I ever played and due to the fact that cdprojektred ignores their support tickets and people who send in messages to them which i find very disrespectful and sad since we are what make them what they are. To the Dervs don't worry about Removing me from the site tomorrow I am going to delete my account....and I will be warning people to not buy witcher 3 since that bs with the only 1 +newgame is a false Advertizement to get people to buy the game.....check any game from Far Cry 5 to Final Fantasy 15 and you will find that +newgame is not a one time thing its for as many times as you want to play the game....when College reopens I am taking the Anger I have towards what they did with Witcher 3 and I am going to show these people what a true ***ing game is :) and my game will have a +newgame that works have a wonderful day ladies and Gentlemen. Btw the biggest problem with all of these games on PS4 is people like cdprojektred do not realize their are people out in the world that can play games like Witcher 3 100 times and still not get bored...if they cant make a game people can enjoy for as long as they want to play it and i mean over and over....I'll make one myself. cya

I would like to give cd projekt red a special thank you for driving me to consider going back to college and getting into Creating a Video game like Witcher 3 (though i won't use anything from that game since i know copyright laws). I can't stand the fact that Witcher 3 was not given a real +newgame so i am going to go back to college and create a game 100 times better than witcher 3 and give it a +newgame so that people can enjoy the game and never be stuck with a dead map with no quests or anything...this game was the best game I ever played and due to the fact that cdprojektred ignores their support tickets and people who send in messages to them which i find very disrespectful and sad since we are what make them what they are. To the Dervs don't worry about Removing me from the site tomorrow I am going to delete my account....and I will be warning people to not buy witcher 3 since that bs with the only 1 +newgame is a false Advertizement to get people to buy the game.....check any game from Far Cry 5 to Final Fantasy 15 and you will find that +newgame is not a one time thing its for as many times as you want to play the game....when College reopens I am taking the Anger I have towards what they did with Witcher 3 and I am going to show these people what a true ***ing game is :) and my game will have a +newgame that works have a wonderful day ladies and Gentlemen. Btw the biggest problem with all of these games on PS4 is people like cdprojektred do not realize their are people out in the world that can play games like Witcher 3 100 times and still not get bored...if they cant make a game people can enjoy for as long as they want to play it and i mean over and over....I'll make one myself. cya

Dafrak are you talking about? o_O

We’re working on the next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt!

Developed to take advantage of the most powerful gaming hardware, the next-gen edition of the game will feature a range of visual and technical improvements — including ray tracing and faster loading times — across the base game, both expansions, and all extra content.

The next generation edition of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will release as a standalone purchase for PC, Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, as well as a free update for everyone who already owns the game on PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
That's great news, now the question will be whether I finish the main game and the DLC's before I get the Xbox Series X. I suspect I will since I've committed myself to completing it, especially after the final few quests of Act II, OMG that battle!!!!!!
Post automatically merged:

Will It work with phisical copies of TW3 on Xbox?
I'm pretty sure it goes by our cloud profile to determine what content we have, so you should be ok.

[Edited -- SigilFey]

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's keep the discussion on the TW3 update. If someone says something you disagree with, you may either discuss the topic constructively or move on to something else.

I'm willing to bet all the farms, however, that the upgrade will use 100% ray tracing as its lighting rendering.
It likely won't. It's not a native part of the engine. And did you see Cyberpunk 2077 recommended specs? No mention of ray tracing, which means that the native rendering is still rasterization. Ray tracing is just an addon, basically. So no reason to think that it will be any different for an upgrade to a five year old game.

Top Bottom