The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is now PS4™ Pro Enhanced

+

Alicja.

CD PROJEKT RED
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is now PS4™ Pro Enhanced

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has just received an upgrade patch, enabling the game to take advantage of the additional power offered by the PS4™ Pro system.

When playing the game on a PS4™ Pro system, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and all its additional content feature support for 4K resolution and a slight boost to performance.

If you own a PS4™ Pro and haven’t played The Witcher 3 yet, or are simply looking to relive Geralt’s final adventure again — it’s a great time to do so.

Last edited:
skacikpl;n9636821 said:
I wouldn't expect the patch to be released before XboneX release.
It just makes sense for them to work on both and release them around same time.

Well ... it appears that CDPR just released the patch for the PS4 Pro.
Kinda makes sense, if you ask me. From what I understand the Xbox One X is not only decidedly more powerful when it comes to rendering 2K+ resolution but also able to provide higher quality assets (textures, detail level, foliage distance scaling, etc.), thus providing the unquestionable superior* (console) version of the game. Making the Sony patch available over a month prior to Microsoft's launch of their new hardware is probably intended to mitigate some Pro fans' irritation at that particular fact (also, having to wait a whole year before receiving any attention at all) simply by virtue of avoiding a simultaneous release and the resulting head-to-head comparisons.

*unless CDPR opted for parity and did not take full advantage of the new machine's capabilities.

Edit: At first glance there doesn't seem to be any additional options in the graphics menu, suggesting indeed that the patch only added higher resolution (and most likely downsampling for 1080p TV owners) and, at best, some slight graphical improvements. Against better judgement I had hoped that there might be a improved graphics mode for the standard HD version akin to what the developers did for Rise of the Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

1.51 seems like major step in version number. I wonder whether there were made any changes that will also translate to PC.

Any insight into details? Marcin_Momot

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 2364765

1.31 to 1.51 seems like major version difference implying many changes were made.
Care to share any details? Any substantial changes that would benefit PC like fixed ubersampling?

Tokei-ihto;n9651051 said:
At first glance there doesn't seem to be any additional options in the graphics menu, suggesting indeed that the patch only added higher resolution (and most likely down sampling for 1080p TV owners) and, at best, some slight graphical improvements. Against better judgement I had hoped that there might be a improved graphics mode for the standard HD version akin to what the developers did for Rise of the Tomb Raider and Horizon Zero Dawn.

I was hoping my patch is bugged but this is very disappointing if it isnt. Ive held of playing the game again until this patch was released , expecting FULL pro support. This pro patch campaign is a little misleading.

It took all that time to do for what? No HDR support , no 4K support , no new display options etc

What does the patch do?

Guest 2364765

omnilegion;n9652191 said:
What does the patch do?

When playing the game on a PS4™ Pro system, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and all its additional content feature support for 4K resolution and a slight boost to performance.

Probably 1440p-ish upscaled to 2160p "4K" and slightly more stable framerate.

skacikpl;n9651501 said:
1.51 seems like major step in version number. I wonder whether there were made any changes that will also translate to PC.

I had the same question. I wonder what the change exactly was. Higher parallelism and using more cores for something? Or it's a change in graphics?

hazy33;n9652921 said:
Seeing as it doesn't look like anyone else is going to say
Well, I'm on PC, but, in the spirit of witcher solidarity, I'll say it, too -- so you don't feel lonely: Thanks, CDPR!

Someone else also having trouble with Fan noises since the new patch?
My PS4 pro is having troubles. Out of nowhere starts making noise like never before. In cutscenes and in normal play at random times. Help!!

So, I'm on a PS4 Pro too, but i play on a 1080p Television.

So, does that patch do something on a non 4K Display too?

And does it make any difference if i enable Boost mode?

Any insights on those above?

THANKS! ;)

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9652741 said:
I had the same question. I wonder what the change exactly was. Higher parallelism and using more cores for something? Or it's a change in graphics?

From what I have seen on other forums, it looks like higher resolution (possibly with checkerboard rendering or other trick to improve the frame rate) and maybe some tweaks to the graphics settings. The version bump could be just to indicate that it is for a newer generation console. I did not find mentions of a planned update on PC.

I also have trouble with Fan noises since the new patch release . Its any chance to rollback or uninstall this "upgrade"?

iCake

Forum veteran
keeper_d;n9655281 said:
I also have trouble with Fan noises since the new patch release . Its any chance to rollback or uninstall this "upgrade"?

I highly doubt a game can have any degree of control over PS4 hardware, being a closed system as it is. Instead the PS4 OS (or it's "BIOS") controls all of that. So the fan noises is simply a result of the new heavier load and consequently more heat produced by the game's now better utilization of the hardware.

In short, the game is highly unlikely to be the cause of the louder fan noise. It's either the console OS or most probably too much dust in the cooling system. I recommend dusting your console out.

iCake;n9655971 said:
I highly doubt a game can have any degree of control over PS4 hardware, being a closed system as it is. Instead the PS4 OS (or it's "BIOS") controls all of that. So the fan noises is simply a result of the new heavier load and consequently more heat produced by the game's now better utilization of the hardware.

In short, the game is highly unlikely to be the cause of the louder fan noise. It's either the console OS or most probably too much dust in the cooling system. I recommend dusting your console out.

I play e.g Horizon Zero Down too and my PS4Pro don't be louder fans work. My console is louder when i play witcher 3 onyly, after install this update.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
keeper_d;n9656121 said:
I play e.g Horizon Zero Down too and my PS4Pro don't be louder fans work. My console is louder when i play witcher 3 onyly, after install this update.

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of reply I expected. I didn't say this to show how smart I am, which may probably be quite the opposite. I just wanted to point out that if something's okay in one game and not another, this can actually mean a lot of other things rather than the "obvious": "that's the other game's fault." In all honesty this most likely just means that the Witcher 3 puts the system under heavier load than, say, Horizon Zero Dawn. Again, if I were you I'd first just find a way to dust my console out and see if that helps and if it doesn't, only then I'd start suspecting the game, but again it's extremely unlikely the game can influence the fan speeds.

Top Bottom