The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is now PS4™ Pro Enhanced

+
I have the same problem as Keeper.
The witcher 3 was fine before the patch. No loud fan noises at all playing 30+ hours. Now for the second day after the patch the fan is loud as hell.
Really surprising if this is not because of the patch..

iCake

Forum veteran
Helbiggetje;n9656331 said:
I have the same problem as Keeper.
The witcher 3 was fine before the patch. No loud fan noises at all playing 30+ hours. Now for the second day after the patch the fan is loud as hell.
Really surprising if this is not because of the patch..

The base game, by that I mean the version that didn't support PS4 Pro, could not take advantage of PS4 full hardware capabilities, it could only use it like 50%. Now the game does try to use it 100%, that's more heat right there and therefore louder fans at least in your case. So yeah, the patch is at "fault" from where you stand, but I highly doubt it's a direct fault. Again, guys, just dust your consoles out first, it's not difficult.

iCake;n9656401 said:
The base game, by that I mean the version that didn't support PS4 Pro, could not take advantage of PS4 full hardware capabilities, it could only use it like 50%. Now the game does try to use it 100%, that's more heat right there and therefore louder fans at least in your case. So yeah, the patch is at "fault" from where you stand, but I highly doubt it's a direct fault. Again, guys, just dust your consoles out first, it's not difficult.

I don't need clear my console, this patch should be optional for PS4PRO users, like enable/ disable.
Best Regards iCake

iCake

Forum veteran
keeper_d;n9656461 said:
I don't need clear my console, this patch should be optional for PS4PRO users, like enable/ disable.
Best Regards iCake

Sure, just ignore the problem, instead trying to do anything about it. Fair enough though, I'm too sometimes guilty of such behaviour as all of us do. Sorry, if it came out too strong or even insulting, I in no way wanted to provoke such a reaction or offend you. Just wanted to point out that you won't know before you try.

As for optionality of the patch... Why did you buy the PRO console in the first place if you don't want enhanced graphics? In any case, regardless of the reason of your choice, optionality or rather "choice" is not be seeked with consoles, PC does that better. Doesn't mean you don't have the right to demand "choice" for consoles.

Just a bit of clarification:

The ability to render in 2K / 4K is not the same as a "Remaster". The engine has not been altered, the textures have not been altered, the 3D models have not been altered. The only thing that is different is the number of pixels that are crammed into each frame. The Aspect Ratio is the only thing that changes. (This is not the same type of thing as, for example, the difference between Skyrim and Skyrim SE.)

What makes 2K / 4K resolutions so exciting for the future is that on-screen details are naturally so fine that it removes the need for post process effects (like anti-aliasing, mip-mapping, shadow filters, etc.) -- which can be vicious in terms of gobbling up performance and creating FPS drops. The downside is that running at 2K / 4K resolutions requires hardware that can actually do it (in raw triangles / pixels per second). Games will likely struggle a bit for a generation or two until hardware manufacturers switch things over to this new technique (getting rid of architectures in GPUs and drivers that cater to the older "post-processing" methods.)

Heat:

As for the strain some people are hearing from their fans, TW3's engine has always been very demanding. I play on PC, but my fans will spin up and stay spun-up while I play like no other game I own. This isn't necessarily a problem, as long as temperatures do not climb that high. (It's just the fans doing what they were designed to do! :)) I'm not sure if it's possible to monitor actual component temperatures on PS4 / Xbox, but a good way to check is to hold your hand around the box near the vents. If you can comfortably hold your hand there, even if the air is "hot", that shouldn't be a problem. If it actually hurts to hold your hand there, like the case or metal parts burn you a little, it IS probably running too hot, and it would be a good idea to take steps. Sometimes, moving the box to a more open space so that it has more air to breath is all it takes. If not, there are all sorts of (inexpensive and efficient!) external cooling options that should let you play without worries.

As technology transitions into this new way of making games look and run awesomely, we'll simply need to do the "Techno-Facacta Waltz" with our PCs or consoles.

iCake;n9656571 said:
Sure, just ignore the problem, instead trying to do anything about it. Fair enough though, I'm too sometimes guilty of such behaviour as all of us do. Sorry, if it came out too strong or even insulting, I in no way wanted to provoke such a reaction or offend you. Just wanted to point out that you won't know before you try.

As for optionality of the patch... Why did you buy the PRO console in the first place if you don't want enhanced graphics? In any case, regardless of the reason of your choice, optionality or rather "choice" is not be seeked with consoles, PC does that better. Doesn't mean you don't have the right to demand "choice" for consoles.

I bought the PsPro because my old launch version PS4 was making loud fan noises with every game, so I went back to the same situation i bought my way out of :p
I'm just disappointed that better graphics patch, means "the fan is going to ruin your life" I'll try vacuuming my console, don't worry, it's om my "to do list". Even if it has a 1% chance of fixing this problem i'll try it, because I love this game.

iCake

Forum veteran
Helbiggetje;n9656781 said:
I bought the PsPro because my old launch version PS4 was making loud fan noises with every game, so I went back to the same situation i bought my way out of :p
I'm just disappointed that better graphics patch, means "the fan is going to ruin your life" I'll try vacuuming my console, don't worry, it's om my "to do list". Even if it has a 1% chance of fixing this problem i'll try it, because I love this game.

Well, unless you open up your console case before vacuuming it, which will obviously void the warranty so you'll likely not do that, then I do agree you have about a 1% chance of fixing the noise. If you want to clean it without opening it you'll need some pressurized air. Just be careful with it.

P.S. Some consoles from early PS4 revisions happened to be too loud, IIRC, Sony even took those loud consoled as a warranty case. In any case, the newer revisions of PS4 don't have this problem, so there was hardly any need to go for PS4 Pro as your new console.

Last edited:
Are there plans to improve performance later?

I stopped my PS4 Pro from installing the patch, because the framerate analyses I've seen so far indicate that the performance at times is worse than base PS4, or PS4 Pro w/o Pro patch + Boost mode enabled (which I'm on now and that is basically locked 30), especially in Crookback Bog.

Or maybe include a performance mode without the resolution increase. I just really don't want to sacrifice that much performance for better visual quality.

Either way, thank you fine developers at CDPR for releasing a PS4 Pro support patch.

Have a nice day everyone!

iCake

Forum veteran
horathius It's possible there'll be performance fixes, but I'm rather doubtful of that. Remember that CDPR outright stated there were no plans of making a PRO patch back then PS4 PRO had gone out, only the new player on the market, which is Xbox One X had made them reconsider. But hey, never say never, I wouldn't hold my breath though.

iCake;n9657701 said:
horathius It's possible there'll be performance fixes, but I'm rather doubtful of that. Remember that CDPR outright stated there were no plans of making a PRO patch back then PS4 PRO had gone out, only the new player on the market, which is Xbox One X had made them reconsider. But hey, never say never, I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Yeah I know they originally didn't have plans for it, but it's really disappointing to see that the game now runs worse on the Pro than on the base PS4. Especially when Sony outright said that shouldn't happen.

This is kind of my biggest problem with the Pro, on some games the upgrade is really a mixed bag. What I don't understand is why developers don't include the option that I think would require the least amount of work, running the same exact code with the extra CPU and GPU performance unlocked (which would be basically boost mode with the other half of the GPU enabled). That way there wouldn't be any downsides. Or Sony could add an option to force games to run in a kind of "legacy" mode, and then it wouldn't be up to the developers.

Anyway, rant over, first world problems and all that. I just hope CDPR will improve on their implementation somewhere down the line.

iCake

Forum veteran
horathius;n9657891 said:
What I don't understand is why developers don't include the option that I think would require the least amount of work, running the same exact code with the extra CPU and GPU performance unlocked (which would be basically boost mode with the other half of the GPU enabled).

I'm kind of at a loss here. What do you mean exactly? The PRO versions already utilize full hardware capabilities, at least they should, there's nowhere you can take that boost from, unlike with games that don't support PS4 Pro. There you can unlock that extra horse power for them. That's what the boost is all about. Unfortunately, as far as I understand only the CPU gets unlocked, the GPU stays underutilized, basically mimicing the regular PS4 GPU both in architecture and capabilities. Why this GPU discrepancy exists is beyond me however, supposedly it's there to prevent potential incompatibilities.

I do agree that the Pro versions of any game really must perform at least the same as they do on a base PS4, but I guess QA gets expensive and no one wants to "squander" resourses polishing things up for a console with a "small" user base and let's not forget that even games developed for base PS4, whis has a huge user base, often suffer from performance issues. Same thing is very likely to happen with Xbox One X, only it's rather going to get the same level of quality of graphics enhancements as PS4 Pro to cut the cost of developing the patch or the extra graphics boost will often come together with some performance issues as well. This is just my opinion though, we'll wait and see. Perhaps Microsoft will put a stronger grasp on the devs to insure quality or maybe even cover some expences, the latter is highly unlikely though.

In any case I'm not a fan of this "premium" machines or rather the idea of this mid-gen hardware improvements concept as a whole. I personally preferred gaming on consoles for a long time, but as soon as these new "boxes" were confirmed I started to really think about switching to PC, which I eventually did and don't regret it one bit.

Last edited:
horathius;n9657141 said:
I stopped my PS4 Pro from installing the patch, because the framerate analyses I've seen so far indicate that the performance at times is worse than base PS4, or PS4 Pro w/o Pro patch + Boost mode enabled

Wish I had kept my PS4 from updating as well, but I only just started playing TW3 a few days ago and hadn't heard anything about the upcoming Pro patch. The frame rate difference is very noticeable, I went online immediately to see if anything big had been changed by the patch.

Hopefully the developers will give people the option to turn off the improvements and go back to the way it was before. Personally I think the stable framerate is far superior to the resolution increase, especially seeing as I only have a 1080p screen. I think I'll put the game on the backburner for a little while to see if any more changes are made.

Hello, as of today I still cannot download the 1.51 patch, I own the GOTY version of the game on PS4 Pro, anyone else in that situation ? Any info anywhere ? I can't seem to find anything, and the 1.50 patch is so buggy...

I have 2 things to say. First off, thank you CDPR. I only have a base ps4 and not a pro, but thank you regardless.

Secondly, holy molly, the toxicity and negativity is UNBELIEVABLE. I read so many posts in the thread on neogaf and reddit, and its staggering how negative and toxic people are. It literally gave me a headache to see all the posts bashing cdpr for being "lazy devs" or "half assing" the pro patch. People were getting all worked up over if its native 4k or not and 99% of them couldn't even tell. People just need to say thank you and stop with the toxic stuff because its as worse as ever right now for any game any dev.

I already know people will bash cyberpunk nonstop even if its great, just like with any game. I truly may be done with message boards in the near future because the toxicity is off the charts. Keep it up CDPR!

iCake;n9658121 said:
I'm kind of at a loss here. What do you mean exactly? The PRO versions already utilize full hardware capabilities, at least they should, there's nowhere you can take that boost from, unlike with games that don't support PS4 Pro. There you can unlock that extra horse power for them. That's what the boost is all about. Unfortunately, as far as I understand only the CPU gets unlocked, the GPU stays underutilized, basically mimicing the regular PS4 GPU both in architecture and capabilities. Why this GPU discrepancy exists is beyond me however, supposedly it's there to prevent potential incompatibilities.

What I meant was, why don't they add a performance mode to the Pro upgrade that runs the game with the same settings as the base PS4, but unlike Boost mode (which as far as I know, uses the extra frequency on the CPU and the GPU, but not the extra GPU compute units, which were doubled from 18 to 36), it would use all of the extra power available (the extra compute units as well).

I'm not sure the GPU discrepancy in Boost mode is there for ensured compatibility or it's just a result of the low level API code that runs on consoles. It could be that the base code of the console games is optimized to run on the 18 GPU compute units that were there on the base PS4, and it wouldn't use the extra 18 on the Pro even if they were available. On PC this isn't a problem, because the high level driver reallocates the work to all available resoures.

iCake;n9658121 said:
In any case I'm not a fan of this "premium" machines or rather the idea of this mid-gen hardware improvements concept as a whole. I personally preferred gaming on consoles for a long time, but as soon as these new "boxes" were confirmed I started to really think about switching to PC, which I eventually did and don't regret it one bit.

I don't think the fact that the premium version consoles exist is a problem, but I do think Sony (and later this year Microsoft with the One X) should establish and enforce some ground rules. The base console versions should run at the target framerate WITH proper frame pacing (minor drops here and there I don't mind), and the premium consoles should offer at least 2 options: render at higher resolution with optionally better graphics settings (and downsample for 1080p users) with the same or better framerate, or same resolution as base hardware with all of the resources unlocked to get rid of the minor drops mentioned before (if they already implemented the high resolution mode I don't imagine this would be hard to do). And if they have the time/resources, the third option should be base resolution with better graphics settings running at least as well as the base code.

I've also been looking to get a new PC for a while (my old one is really old), but currently I can't justify spending that much because of the inflated RAM, GPU and SSD prices, but it will definitely happen somewhere down the line. I don't regret buying a PS4 because it has a lot of exclusives that I want to play, but once I get a PC I'll probably buy all of the multi platform games there, so I can tune them to my preference.

Can we get a Stability/performance Mode? I honestly don't like how the current update/patch has made the solid 30FPS on Boost Mode not so stable now. That and my Pro sounds louder when playing a bit in comparison to the update. I have a 4K TV, but I rather have Performance and Stability over checkerboard 4K. Probably not going to play on my Pro till said option is available or somehow make the current 4K mode as smooth as Boost Mode was in all aspects.

horathius;n9657891 said:
Yeah I know they originally didn't have plans for it, but it's really disappointing to see that the game now runs worse on the Pro than on the base PS4. Especially when Sony outright said that shouldn't happen.

From what I have seen, the game runs worse in some areas (e.g. Crookback Bog), but also better in others that were CPU bound on the original PS4 (Novigrad). It would be difficult to ensure that the performance does not become worse in any area of a large game like TW3 while the resolution is increased to 4K. Keeping the original resolution and only improving the frame rate and some of the settings might also have been an option, but resolution sells better than frame rate, and the Pro version still runs at 30 fps most of the time.

iCake;n9657701 said:
It's possible there'll be performance fixes, but I'm rather doubtful of that. Remember that CDPR outright stated there were no plans of making a PRO patch back then PS4 PRO had gone out, only the new player on the market, which is Xbox One X had made them reconsider. But hey, never say never, I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I also doubt there would be performance optimizations that would require any major changes to the game, that would probably require quite a bit more work than this patch, and CDPR moved on to their new projects like Cyberpunk 2077, patch support for TW3 has ended about a year ago.

Last edited:

iCake

Forum veteran
horathius I don't think either Sony or Microsoft are in a position to enforce any ground rules with their premium machines. Having to optimize games for 2 systems obviously adds to the cost of development, good, responsible polishing in particular. As far as I know not even all games support the Pro yet. Even the beloved, customer friendly CDPR didn't want to develop a Pro patch up untill now and we all know that this change of heart comes from soon to join the trend Xbox One X, which justified spending some extra money. Some devs even went as far as to experess their dissent regarding the emergance of this enhanced consoles. Add to this the fact that with the current gen consoles the platform holders no longer take money for patch certifications unlike with the last gen consoles...

Well, that was quite a lot of words, but what I really tried to say is that the devs aren't just going to obediently agree with any rules Sony or Microsoft want to impose. For that reason I believe if we had some strict rules with the premium machines we'd have seen a lot less patches for them and that'd hurt sales for the platform holders. So no, it's highly unlikely they'll ever establish any ground rules.

As for PC. Yeah, the prices has gone up since the miners overran the market. The GPU prices has especially spiked. But there comes the beauty of custom PC building. You don't have to go for a high end PC that'll cost you an arm and a leg if you want to game. You can go with something far far less expensive and still play at better than console graphics and framerate and last but not least you'll also get to enjoy that extra "customization, choice and flexibility" PC is so good at delivering. That's why I dropped console gaming, at least back before this better mid-gen hardware charade consoles had a very strong advantage, which is simplicity. Now with all this different hardware, better graphics, faster framerate, graphics presets... With all this I figure I go with a platform that does all of that better and much much better at that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom