The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is now PS4™ Pro Enhanced

+
alkozera;n9644581 said:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt has just received an upgrade patch, enabling the game to take advantage of the additional power offered by the PS4™ Pro system.

When playing the game on a PS4™ Pro system, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and all its additional content feature support for 4K resolution and a slight boost to performance.

If you own a PS4™ Pro and haven’t played The Witcher 3 yet, or are simply looking to relive Geralt’s final adventure again — it’s a great time to do so.

And now you are going to do it for your PC play.... oh wait!...

That's a pretty impressive (but not perfect) upgrade for sure. Genuinely surprised by the addition of HBAO. And makes me wonder what CDPR comes up with the more powerful Xbox One X version of the game. Maybe improved assets and increased LOD distance? Looking forward to seeing DF's analysis of that as well.

Sam2305;n9665621 said:
?.. Don't get it.

Sam2305;n9665621 said:

Other than the checkerboard trick, which is proprietary to Sony's system, there is not really anything in this patch that was not already available on PC for a long time, it basically just increases video settings to take advantage of the upgraded hardware. And from the screenshots it looks like foliage quality is still lower than on the PC version.

eskiMoe;n9666131 said:
Genuinely surprised by the addition of HBAO.

I have seen it speculated that it is not actually HBAO, but rather an artifact of scaling the original AO effect to 4K resolution, similarly to how Nvidia Ansel breaks post-processing. However, HBAO+ is not that much more expensive than SSAO on PC, so 2x pixel count and around 10-20% extra cost from the AO and other tweaks is about what can be expected from the hardware (IIRC the GPU in the PS4 Pro is somewhat more than twice as fast as in the original PS4).

I've been playing the game on a ps4 pro with boost mode on hooked up to a SUHD tv since November last year. I was very impressed with how it looked then, so to be honest I'm hard pressed to really se that much of a difference ATM. It just appears to have more of that like "raw" video look and I had to turn the tv backlight down because things got much brighter.

Other than that like I said I'm abit hard pressed to spot the difference though the console has become allot more noisier, but that to be expected with the extra load, however the fan gets pretty noisy during encounters (dunno if that just me)

oh yeah there ....there is a frame rate drop of between 5 to 7 frames in dence/heavily populated areas. This was not there before as it pretty much stuck to 30fps where ever you were in the game.

Would have liked to have options for rendering similar to Horizen Zero Dawn/Rise of the Tomb Raider for frame rate vs resolution.

I have the original game + all exp packs and dlc patched to 1.50 but I also have the GOTY edition which I have not patched, rite now the unpatched GOTY running with boost mode on seems to be a far better option for me. I don't like the frame rate drops from 1.50 patch, reminds me of the early days on my standard ps4 when we experienced horrid frame rate drops before they eventually stabilized them out with later patches.

Last edited:
My Official, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Patch 1.50 Review on PS4 Pro.

The new patch 1.50 for PS4 Pro is a welcoming upgrade, but at the cost of performance.

Straight away when i started playing i noticed the increased upgrade in resolution which makes the Witcher 3 look just that much more better on 4K resolution screens ( clearer image and more refined detail ) in my opinion it looks really good.

The menus seem to be more responsive to player input and loading screens seem a tad quicker than the standard PS4 versions.

But that is about all when it comes to an Upgrade.

The Performance on PS4 Pro after patch 1.50 is a mixed bag at best.

When Traversing around Novigrad City on PS4 Pro after Update 1.50 it is very smooth and looks stunning. I did encounter some slight framerate skips here and there, but compared to the base PS4 it is Buttery Smooth.

Unfortunately now traversing the open world after patch 1.50 on PS4 Pro the performance takes a turn for the worst, areas such as Crookback Bog now has framerate drops as low as 25 - 24 Frames per second leaving us with a overall juddery presentation and not smooth at all, in my opinion unplayable.

The performance is now closely aligned with the standard PS4 version when it was not performing so well which is a downgrade from the excellent boost mode i was using on PS4 Pro prior to the Patch 1.50.

Previously I played the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on PS4 Pro Using the Boost Mode to enhance performance and the performance was buttery smooth all around when traversing the open world.

As a PS4 Pro user - I personally value solid performance over higher resolution ALWAYS!

Hopefully PS4 Pro Receives another Patch to Address the performance issues.

Last edited:
"Previously I played the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on PS4 Pro Using the Boost Mode to enhance performance and the performance was buttery smooth all around when traversing the open world."

Same here. I like the new enhancements, but now my game is crashing everytime I open the inventory to talk to a merchant/repair/stash. I love this game, but without being able to access these features it is UNPLAYABLE.

Can we have more options like "favor performance" (=1080p@60fps) or "favor resolution" (the way it is now) or even things like HairWorks at 1080p30 or increased viewing distance? Anything?

this to me is just a preferred settings in the settings menu of the game. it's hard to understand console gaming.

Top Bottom