The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — Next-Gen Update Trailer and REDstreams summary

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED

Relive the story loved by millions!

The free next-gen update for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S|X on December 14th, 2022! Experience the game as never before, with improved visuals and performance, new additional content, Photo Mode, and more...

During today's REDstreams we discussed what exactly the free next gen update will bring to the game. Here are the highlights:

Improved visuals

Ray Tracing, improved Screen Space Reflections, improved foliage, better textures and more visual improvements are coming to the game. Enjoy them to the fullest thanks to FSR 2.1 and DLSS 3 support!

Camera, controls and UI changes

Rediscover the Continent from a new perspective — we've added an alternative camera option that'll bring you closer to the action. Combined with the alternative Quick Sign Casting option, map filtering and the option to dynamically hide the minimap, it will make exploration even more exciting than before!

Photo mode

Capture the moment with the added photo mode! Does that mean there will be a The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt photo mode contest in the near future? Maybe.

Integrated mods

We've included some community-made favourites in addition to our own modifications.

Quest fixes

You've been asking for them — and we couldn't say no! The next-gen update has also been an opportunity to revisit some of the issues in the quests. The free next-gen update brings fixes to From Ofier's Distant Shores, Scavenger Hunt: Wolf School Gear and more!

Netflix DLC

We have a very special treat for all of the fans of the Netflix show! Enjoy alternative looks for Dandelion and Nilfgaardian soldiers, as well as a new quest, inspired by the show, where you'll be able to get diagrams for new equipment for Geralt. What's the quest? Shhh! No spoilers!

Cross-progression

A feature you know from Cyberpunk 2077 — play the game how you like, wherever you like and carry over your latest save between platforms.

Excited? That's just a taste! We'll post a list of changes for the free next-gen update closer to the release. In the meantime, remember you can find more details and gameplay footage from work in progress builds in the recording of the REDstreams:

Is this going to be separate game on PS5 with its own trophy list?
I guess it will be exactly like Cyberpunk.
Excited? That's just a taste!
Yes, a lot :giggle:
Post automatically merged:

Is this going to be separate game on PS5 with its own trophy list?
So like that :
"It is necessary to manually download the dedicated next-gen version of the game from either the PlayStation Store or your library. To update disc copies, players need a PlayStation 5 console with a disc drive and have it inserted in order to download and play the game.

While it’s possible to have both versions of the game on your PlayStation 5, we suggest deleting the PlayStation 4 version to save disk space"

---------
And sadly, for the trophies, I guess the same too :(
"Unfortunately, as the next-gen version has a different SKU, PlayStation trophies obtained thanks to backward compatibility will not be transferred. You will need to meet the requirements once again to unlock them."

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

I have to admit, I expected more on the graphics front, TW3 can already look significantly better on PC.

QOL changes are really nice, though... Hopefully the same could be said about bugfixes. :beer:

On PS5 trophies will not carry over, because the next gen version is treated as a new SKU.

Before somebody else asks: on PC and Xbox achievements will carry over automatically :)
But will it be a new SKU on GOG/Steam for PC? Others have asked before, but so far no definitive answer. If it's not a new SKU, then will the offline installers for the GOG version continue to exist for the "legacy" version, or at least a rollback feature?

Asked this in the other next gen update thread too but will the PC version have HDR support this time around? Been waiting for that ever since I added an OLED TV to my PC setup. :sad:

Is there any chance to upgrade my Disc PS4 version to a DIGITAL PS5 version?

Long story short i have the OG day one PS4 disc version and I already bought each of the expansion DLCs digitally, but now I have a PS5 digital version console.

I wouldn't mind paying a slight amount for the upgrade, like £6, which is how much TW3 basic game with no DLC has been on sale for in the past, but I do not think it is fair that I should be asked to pay full price again for a game I already own, even if I have it only on disc, I already own "half" of the complete edition digitallly by having both expansions.

Obviously I have the platinum too to confirm I have played the game, as well as obviously i cannot play the DLCs without the base game.

I know it is a strage situation with consoles, but in this case, the DLC ownership and the trophies themselves on my account are confirmation of owning the game and after last gen consoles, discs are nothing but installers and DRMs now. The discs do nothing but DRM check, hence why I turned full digital this gen.

Please, could someone confirm if in the end this nextgen game will have the textures of Halk Hogan the Youtuber? I haven't seen any news about him again and if at the end the textures that this man made were included in the final game. Thank you.

Please, could someone confirm if in the end this nextgen game will have the textures of Halk Hogan the Youtuber? I haven't seen any news about him again and if at the end the textures that this man made were included in the final game. Thank you.
Yes they gave shout out to Halk on the stream that his textures are ingame.

I love how CDPR gloss over mod support, I mean mods if anything have been essential to upgrading TW3 in to the next level, most of these so called ''next-gen'' improvements are already implemented by modders for free, going back as 7 years, especially mods like (BIA), granted is more recent, but basically fixes ridicules amount of bugs, which is crucial for bug-free experience!.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I expected more on the graphics front, TW3 can already look significantly better on PC.

QOL changes are really nice, though... Hopefully the same could be said about bugfixes. :beer:
One big difference will be the higher poly count meshes, other than a few of the main characters and mainly their faces there were no mods that actually changes the meshes and there is only so much you can do with textures to cover up lower poly count meshes. Things like wagon wheels that weren't really round look to be rounded now and I expect little things that I look for like bare shoulders and bald heads to look more rounded and not be able to see it's just a series of straight line with minor angles giving a (poor) illusion of roundness. Another thing is the rocks on the roads and the cobblestones on streets aren't so flat looking and look like actual rocks and cobblestones
Post automatically merged:

I'm also kind of curious about another pet peeve of mine and that is some of the cutscenes were pre-rendered which meant if you had characters wearing the alternative armors in these prerendered cutscenes they would switch to the original armors and after that cutscene ended they would be wearing the alternative armors again. The Battle of Kaer Morhen and the scene where Ciri goes nuts after Vesemir gets killed are a couple of the more egregious examples but there are at least a half a dozen more examples. I know most of them were fairly easily fixable because I have a mod that fixed several of them

Last edited:
The Cross-progression feature is really exciting !
I have played over 200h on xbox one, and I want to enjoy the udpate on PS5 now.
Thanks CDPR!

I watched the trailer again and something that gives me hope is it shows Ciri in the alternative armor when she enters the tower to destroy the White Frost. In the original it would always show only the original armor and not the alternative set. Hopefully they are realtime rendering all the cutscenes now because that will also allow things like hair mods to show in the cutscenes instead of being stuck with whatever was prerendered

Looking really good! Lots of small improvements that definitely add up without interfering with the intended look/feel but only enhance it. The QoL changes also seem like a great addition. Was a bit confused about the part where they go into how it's now possible to disable the question marks on the map though - this is/was already possible in the game since day 1 and I have made good use of it.

Probably what I'll end up doing is hold off on playing this until TW1 Remaster is out, then do a full books+games dive again. Maybe the in-game Netflix content will even inspire me to give the TV show another shot (hahahahaha, no).

I last played TW3 in 2018, I think, and TW1/2 I last played pre-TW3 release, so hopefully my memories of all the small details will be relatively foggy by the time TW1 remake comes out. It'll also give me an opportunity to upgrade from my GTX 1080 (it's amazing how well this GPU still holds up with modern games if you're fine with 1080p@60fps) to experience the remake+next-gen version in their full glory.

And, of course, very nice to see all of this as a free patch!

I assume both modes (mainly performance) will run in dynamic 2140p (FSR 2.1) just like cyberpunk?

And one more question. I noticed that nilfgalrd has that horrible scrotal armor like in the terrible series on netflix. I assume it can be turned off like other alternative skins?

Last edited:
Top Bottom