The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
@eskiMoe I don't have any problems either. Played Shadows of Mordor with the HD pack, Far cry 4 and other games and i never saw any fps drops even a little above 3.5GB Vram
Yeah. But I'm talking about going 200-300mb over the supposed limit and not running into any issues. If I use my 970 with Samsung memory as a master card that is. The Hynix card hits the wall at roughly 3,55GB.

Just interested to see if any other people have similar behavior. Maybe the L2 cache in the Samsung card isn't as severely cut or something.

But anyways, last time I buy cut dies for sure.

Will running on ultra spec include hairworks? If it's off I suspect turning it on might hit a gtx 980/970 around 10 fps.
Personally I can't tell from those tube videos if hairworks is on or not. Video compilations might also include footage from different graphical settings ie hairworks on in some scene and off in another.
I think in Angry Joe's and Imanderzel's video it's turned on and in Gopher's its turned off. Gopher said its hitting performance hard, but probably it will be optimized until release. I hope they can optimize it because it adds a lot of reality to the game, especially that it's a graphical feature that you always see when playing, since it's on the main character in a 3d person view game.

I think in Angry Joe's and Imanderzel's video it's turned on and in Gopher's its turned off. Gopher said its hitting performance hard, but probably it will be optimized until release. I hope they can optimize it because it adds a lot of reality to the game, especially that it's a graphical feature that you always see when playing, since it's on the main character in a 3d person view game.

OK. Maybe I need new glasses but in Gophers 2. video hair actually looked better than in Imanderzel's imho. I guess we'll find out at may 19th at the latest.

I've jsut checked Gophers 2. vid and now i'm unsure aswell. :D Anyway this game looks stunning. Probably best graphics in video games. the grass and trees are really detailed and the way they interact with the weather effects.. amazing

CPU and Minimum specs

As a fan of the Witcher series, I'm eager to get W3 asap. So eager that I'm going to pre-order a game for the first time!
However, I noticed that they call for an i5 CPU in the min specs. My current PC build meets all the min specs except the CPU. I have an i3-4130 which I'm sure will play W3 but at what settings? I've been very impressed that my CPU allows me to play Crysis 3 with high settings, so I'm assuming that I will be able to play W3 on high settings at least. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might check this? I'm sure we're all familiar with contacting game companies about a problem and the first thing they do is check your specs and often give that stock 'your system doesn't meet the min specs' response! From my dealings with both GOG & CD PR I don't anticipate such shoddy service, but i'd like to dot all the i's and cross the t's before pre-ordering. As GOG.com couldn't help, I've tried contacting CD PR about this but their Witcher Support only caters for existing released games. so, what are your thoughts?

From what we know this game actually requires a minimum of 4 core cpu and that's all we have to go with until the game is released and some serious testing is done with two core cpu:s. i3-4130 does however have HT but it is unsure will the game support this technology.

As a fan of the Witcher series, I'm eager to get W3 asap. So eager that I'm going to pre-order a game for the first time!
However, I noticed that they call for an i5 CPU in the min specs. My current PC build meets all the min specs except the CPU. I have an i3-4130 which I'm sure will play W3 but at what settings? I've been very impressed that my CPU allows me to play Crysis 3 with high settings, so I'm assuming that I will be able to play W3 on high settings at least. I'm wondering if anyone knows how I might check this? I'm sure we're all familiar with contacting game companies about a problem and the first thing they do is check your specs and often give that stock 'your system doesn't meet the min specs' response! From my dealings with both GOG & CD PR I don't anticipate such shoddy service, but i'd like to dot all the i's and cross the t's before pre-ordering. As GOG.com couldn't help, I've tried contacting CD PR about this but their Witcher Support only caters for existing released games. so, what are your thoughts?

A lot of the physics is being done in CPU, so I think it will be fairly important.

I am slightly below minimums with an i5-2400, but I think it should be ok... I'll wait for upgrades if needed until I can see how it runs.

A 2 core i3 should *probably* run it... but whether frame rates will be acceptable even in low settings isn't clear yet. Until benchmarks of sub-minimum (or mimimum) spec machines are done it would be unwise to assume any particular performance as gospel. What processors will your system take? Is upgrading a possibility, or would it require a new system board, plus other items?

You *are* below minimum specifications, and while you will certainly get help from the community, I wouldn't necessarily expect it from the developer unless they benchmark and revise their hardware specifications. I like CD-PR and they are 'for' gamers... but there is a reason that suggested minimums are given... to avoid disappointment with poor performance when bought "sight unseen", and to reduce support burden for 'too weak' systems - there will be legitimate issues that will need the attention of support that should be addressed before tinkering with sub minimum machines (IMO).

This interview is from January so things might have changed. Watch on 53:55. English subs available.

It's clear that at least in January they didn't think 2 cores was enough. That's the best answer I found so far.

I should add that this doesn't mean that I don't wish it to work on two core cpu:s. Some people are very very very touchy when it comes to this topic.

-------------------------
Here's a straight answer from the lions mouth:

INTERVIEWER: Since you issued the requirements, you might tell that one should try with a 2-core machine or not?

CDPR: Not really

Last edited:
Don't worry i don't think it will be. There's a chance you might run into problems if you intend to play at 4k or something.

Watch this video if you like. This guy tests the card through a few demanding games (apart from skyrim) at 1080p to check the Vram usage and if the 3.5GB can actually cause problems. I don't think that the witcher will draw more than this at 1080p or 1440p. It's worth watching if you are into these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6k55epUBCE

Oh I am not really worried myself. I was merely countering this 3.5 thing which is probably going to pop up again before the release. It does have 4gb it just allocates the last .5 differently but I don't think they'd have listed a 2gb card as "recommended" if it were not cool to have 2gb cards. The 970 is going to be a fine card for this game and should hit high/ultra for most people.

Where 3.5 will be a liability is for those who want to play this game at 4k. But very few people will be doing this and you should not be using a 970 for 4k gaming anyway and probably not a 980! Most people are probably going to play at about 1080p give or take and 970's and 980's are going to be fine for Witcher 3 at that resolution.

How will it run?

First let me start of by saying I know NOTHING about computers!!!
But I saw that “The Witcher 2: Wild Hunt” had some pretty crazy “specs”. I own a MSI GT70, will it be a problem for me to run the game? And how much will I have to compromise on the graphics? I can’t tell myself although I have tried… If anyone can shed some light I will be grateful.
Thank you very much
-Bilbo Swaggings

How well i'll run it?

I was looking at the requeriments to play the game, and i do have the minimum requeriments to play it, but what i really want to know is if i will be able to run it with good looks an at decent fps;

I will run it on this config: MB: MSI H87-G43
Processor: Core i5-4460 3.2GHz (3.4GHz Max Turbo) 6MB
RAM: 8GB
VGA: GeForce GTX760 2GB DDR5 256-Bit

I already pre-ordered the game on steam, and i really want to know if i'll need to save some money to buy a new VGA or processor to play the game with high settings.

None can answer you this. Also it depends how much FPS do you accept as playable ? I remember first time I played W2 with 23-28 fps..

First let me start of by saying I know NOTHING about computers!!!
But I saw that “The Witcher 2: Wild Hunt” had some pretty crazy “specs”. I own a MSI GT70, will it be a problem for me to run the game? And how much will I have to compromise on the graphics? I can’t tell myself although I have tried… If anyone can shed some light I will be grateful.
Thank you very much
-Bilbo Swaggings

Depends on the precise configuration. (Different builds can have different components inside). But... it seems a solid gaming laptop based on reviews and places around the same as an Alienware 18 (2014) with the middling spec.

Not likely to run full Ultra well, frame rates will probably be ok somewhere in mid-high region though, but we won't know for sure until we have the game in our hands.

Well i guess my HD5870 which served me well over the last 6 years will finally meet its demise. Even on 720p i don't think this will play well. Even tho i have 8gb ram and phenom 6 1075t. Well gonna find out soon enough :)

Last edited:
Heya,
I wonder how well the Alienware Alpha i5 version is going to run The Witcher 3?
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha/pd?oc=dkcwa03&model_id=alienware-alpha

I was looking for a nice compact hybrid PC (since I don't want to move to consoles as I have already a big list of games on steam), but the important thing for me before I buy it, will be if The Witcher 3 could run it well on it?

I'm pleased with med/high in 1080p for example. Not expecting high+ at all.

Anyone could help with this?

Heya,
I wonder how well the Alienware Alpha i5 version is going to run The Witcher 3?
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha/pd?oc=dkcwa03&model_id=alienware-alpha

I was looking for a nice compact hybrid PC (since I don't want to move to consoles as I have already a big list of games on steam), but the important thing for me before I buy it, will be if The Witcher 3 could run it well on it?

I'm pleased with med/high in 1080p for example. Not expecting high+ at all.

Anyone could help with this?

According to the specs it has a GTX860M GPU. Going by benchmarks from this site (http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-860M.107794.0.html) it's equivalent to a regular GTX480 or GTX750Ti. So I'm guessing Med at 1080p at 30fps.

If it's about having a PC with a small footprint, you could try building a Mini-ITX PC. Lian-Li have some small Mini-ITX cases like the TU100. You'll need to get Mini GPU ranges like the GTX760 Mini or the GTX970 Mini.

Top Bottom