The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
Hi all I have a few questions regarding System Requirements to play Witcher 3. I have 8 GB of DDR3 Ram, Intel Core2 QX9770 and EVGA GeForce GTX 680. I can play most new games on high with no problems and I was wondering if my current set up could play witcher 3 on high.

I can't tell about your cpu, it's still quite powerful even nowadays but I don't know how it could have aged for gaming purpose. If it's not bottlenecking your GPU my bet is you'll be playing in high.

But please, to anyone, let's wait for release, for optimized drivers, for benchs.. That's the only thing to do. We're speaking about ad unreleased game with optimization in full process.. The demos are not showing anything, the requisites don't give anything more than what we knew with some common sense.. It can be hard to accept but time will tell better than anyone else

An absolutly newbi question:

What could be the difference between the combination of i7 - gxt 970 and a i5 - gtx 980?

What could be the difference between the combination of i7 - gxt 970 and a i5 - gtx 980?

Not much at any rate. The GTX980-system will very likely be faster, because I strongly expect TW3 to be a more GPU- than CPU-bound game.

Hard to say. In provisioning hardware and optimizing code, you always look at which resource is limiting.

If the game doesn't use the full capacity of the GPU, but uses all the CPU cycles it can get for physics, putting fur on the wolves and leaves in the air, the Core i7 will help a lot with that.

I suspect it's the other way, though: the game will drive the GPU full speed and full power, and the CPU will be using one thread positioning and scripting actors, one or two sending instructions to the GPU, and others just waiting for events. In this case, the GPU will be limiting, a 4-core CPU will not be limiting, and you'll get more performance out of the stronger GPU.

The PC that was in use has been said to be a 4690 (that's a Haswell "refresh" Core i5) with a GTX 980. That's what will get you high settings at 1920x1080, 30fps, apparently. So the rumors that the game chews up and spits out GPUs have some foundation.

We don't know whether the CPU is limiting, but an FX-4300 is pretty far down the list of high-performing CPUs, somewhat more than half of the "minimum" Core i5 2500k. However, if you have a motherboard that takes an AMD FX, you can upgrade within AMD and still get a high-performing CPU on the same motherboard, for a lot less money. Watch compatibility of specific models when upgrading, as some motherboards cannot handle the high power demand of some of the FX-8xxx CPUs.

The 660Ti is quite a bit stronger than the stated minimum 660, it should compare well to anything less than a 770 or 970.

So I would be reluctant to upgrade the CPU at this point, because we don't know whether it would be limiting. If I did upgrade, I would consider an AMD FX-8xxx first. I would be reluctant to upgrade the GPU, because you already have a high-performing GPU. I would see how the game performed for me and see whether anybody comes up with good bargains in hardware to get high performance out of the game.

We know you can throw a lot of money at the game and get something that will play it well. We don't know how little you can get by with and play it well. When you have a good starting point and money is tight, I would want to know the latter (how little you can get by with) before spending hard-earned money.

My motherboard can only take the FX 6300, the FX 8---- are not supported because of the energy demand of those CPUs. So I trying to save money and find a new job to upgrade my specs, but since i can't go for the FX 8----, I decide to build a high-end PC and thats why I am looking for the 4790k.

What do the system specs mean?

Hey, newbie here. I was wondering about the specs for the Witcher 3, because quite frankly they seem more generous than I was expecting, but what do they MEAN? Universally, min specs mean you can run a game on low settings, but what about recommended settings? Is that running everything at max at 30fps? 60fps? 'Cause if my PC could run it at full graphics 1080p 60fps then I would be very pleasantly surprised. (gtx 970, 16gb ram, 4.0ghz i7 4790K)

Really don't know. Could be anything and every declaration seems to me to take with a grain of salt. With your rig you'll probably can max the game (or almost) but not @60 fps. If you want that maybe you'll have to disable a couple of things. I strongly invite you to patiently wait for benchs however

My motherboard can only take the FX 6300, the FX 8---- are not supported because of the energy demand of those CPUs. So I trying to save money and find a new job to upgrade my specs, but since i can't go for the FX 8----, I decide to build a high-end PC and thats why I am looking for the 4790k.

FX 6300 is still a big step up from the 4300. In US prices, a 4790k and new motherboard will set you back about $470. It will be more than that in Brazil. That's why I was looking for alternatives.

Since W3 will most likely be more GPU-limited (although that's still speculative) the second option should be better.

But if you want to invest money for the future (and stick to your hardware for a while) I wouldn't buy an i5 anymore. DX12 will finally fully support and encourage hyperthreading and multi-core development and then an i7 or Xeon CPU will have a big advantage.

If you don't want to invest additional money for an i7, I would suggest a Xeon + GTX980 combination.

Last edited:
Hi there, after watching all the new videos and everything, I started to doubt if my PC will be able to run this masterpiece. So, if it is possible, I would like to know if I will be able to play it well; my specs are:
Gigabyte Z87M-D3H
Ati Sapphire HD 7850 2gb Gddr5 Dual X
Intel Core i5-4670K
8GB de RAM
Sorry if my English is not good enough, it's not my natal language haha, thanksss

So it seems by this article they show what settings the PC was running TW3. This is a google translation but it would be good if someone translated it.

Link to full article here: http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-w...el/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt,49062,3082308.html
We're playing The Witcher 3 on all three platforms, the PC, the PS4 and Xbox One. In computer games put an Intel Core i7-4790, the motherboard ASRock Z97, 8.0 GB of RAM, a GeForce GTX 980 with 4.0 GB of video memory and an SSD drive. A high-end system, then, on the The Witcher 3 in the graphics settings "high" runs through liquid.
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: Michael Graf grins a little forced, but plays for The Witcher. 3
Michael Graf grins a little forced, but plays for The Witcher. 3
On 'Ultra' we must not turn the other hand. The developers say the highest level will still be optimized, but should then run fine on the same system.

Yeah, I heard the same story yesterday. They also with this rig run this game on stable 30fps on high with AA on medium. It's pretty expensive rig to run this game "just" on high and 30fps. What I am worry the most, is that frame rate. I hope they will optimise the game better until release.

Last edited:
Can my laptop run Witcher 3?

Hi guys,

I'm not a huge gamer, but this is one game i'm planning on playing this year.
Just a problem though, my laptop seems to just miss the minimum requirements (specs below).

My concern is with the i7 CPU with only 2.3ghz whereas the min reqs are 3.3ghz.
Does this mean that I won't be able to run the game? I know i won't be able to run it well, but would it still be possible to play it at all?

Processor: Intel i7-3610QM 2.3ghz
RAM: 8G
GPU: GeForce GTX 660M

Cheers.

Hi guys,

I'm not a huge gamer, but this is one game i'm planning on playing this year.
Just a problem though, my laptop seems to just miss the minimum requirements (specs below).

My concern is with the i7 CPU with only 2.3ghz whereas the min reqs are 3.3ghz.
Does this mean that I won't be able to run the game? I know i won't be able to run it well, but would it still be possible to play it at all?

Processor: Intel i7-3610QM 2.3ghz
RAM: 8G
GPU: GeForce GTX 660M

Cheers.

I think perhaps on really minimun settings, and I don't know if it'll do even so, I don't even think the game will even start :(

you need to buy a better pc, but you said you aren't a fanatic gamer, right? if you don't play a lot of games there isn't much reason to buy some monster computer to play, it will be way cheaper a console, the games are more expensive in a console, but the console is way cheaper. So if you don't plan to buy 35+ games, consoles will cost less...
But don't worry, on consoles it is said the game is running pretty well, so it won't matter that much the platform

On 'Ultra' we must not turn the other hand. The developers say the highest level will still be optimized, but should then run fine on the same system.
Good to know. Hopefully that means that high settings will also be smoother as well. I really want to go beyond 1080p with this game on my system..

I've watched and read a fair few of the playthrough reviews and impressions, and some journalists say it was running on a PC with 980's in SLI. None though have spoken about actual settings.

This is not good!

-Is there a chance that the requirements will be lowered?

-Yes, the optimization is stil ongoing so it’s possible that the requirements will be lowered but most probably there’s not much to be expected in this regard.

Amount of the people who will play this game on Ultra quality, or however you call it, is absolute minority!!! So why not optimize it for much wider PC audience. There is a lot of people who will play this gladly with The Witcher 2 graphics quality. This game even today looks great.

Thank you.

Yeah, I heard the same story yesterday. They also with this rig run this game on stable 30fps on high with AA on medium. It's pretty expensive rig to run this game "just" on high and 30fps. What I am worry the most, is that frame rate. I hope they will optimise the game better until release.

30 FPS Where did you see that? I don't play game's on PC to get 30 fps is there a link you can show me that proves it?

---------- Updated at 04:23 PM ----------

I've watched and read a fair few of the playthrough reviews and impressions, and some journalists say it was running on a PC with 980's in SLI. None though have spoken about actual settings.

980 in SLI Show me a link where they said that because JacobCZ89 here told me that the game was running at 30 fps. So 30fps 1080p with GTX 980 SLI on High is crazy that's just too demanding. Obviously something is wrong with this information. Except that the game was running on High that seems pretty correct.

Amount of the people who will play this game on Ultra quality, or however you call it, is absolute minority!!! So why not optimize it for much wider PC audience. There is a lot of people who will play this gladly with The Witcher 2 graphics quality. This game even today looks great.

Thank you.

I think that with a GTX 580 or some GPU similar to console hardware, the game can run at 1080p/30fps at mid/low settings.

Top Bottom