The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
what are the specs of the pc that played the demo's ? the performance looks perfect

IIRC the pc was running an i7 4790, 8GB RAM and a single GTX 980.

I wouldn't worry about the cpu. When it comes to benchmarks on pure gaming, all the latest cpu's wont have a problem.

Was checking out benchmarks lately and the differences are not even visible, below 1 fps most of the times. Was a test between the i5 2500K - i5 4460 - i5 4670K - i5 4690K - i7 3770 - i7 3770K and i7 4770. All run great.

Last edited:
I am going to buy this rig for The Witcher 3, what do you guys think? I really hope for Ultra at least on 40 fps.
MB - ASUS H97-PRO GAMER GAMING MB - Intel H97
GPU - ASUS STRIX GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1231v3
RAM - Kingston HyperX PnP 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 DDR3
OS SSD - Intel SSD 530 (7mm) - 120GB, OEM
HDD - WD Red - 1TB
CPU Cooling - Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
PSU - Enermax Triathlor ECO 650W
Case - Fractal Design ARC XL R2 black window

I am going to buy this rig for The Witcher 3, what do you guys think? I really hope for Ultra at least on 40 fps.
MB - ASUS H97-PRO GAMER GAMING MB - Intel H97
GPU - ASUS STRIX GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1231v3
RAM - Kingston HyperX PnP 8GB (2x4GB) 1600 DDR3
OS SSD - Intel SSD 530 (7mm) - 120GB, OEM
HDD - WD Red - 1TB
CPU Cooling - Arctic Cooling Freezer 13
PSU - Enermax Triathlor ECO 650W
Case - Fractal Design ARC XL R2 black window

That is an excellent PC, i think you will be able to run the game with over 40fps.

I am not familiar with that CPU though, all i know is that it's mostly used for workstations if i remember. If you want the PC used for that i think that'd be fine.

If you want it purely for gaming i think at the same price you can get the i5 4690K which is awesome for games and also very easily overclocked if you're into that kind of thing.

That is an excellent PC, i think you will be able to run the game with over 40fps.

I am not familiar with that CPU though, all i know is that it's mostly used for workstations if i remember. If you want the PC used for that i think that'd be fine.

If you want it purely for gaming i think at the same price you can get the i5 4690K which is awesome for games and also very easily overclocked if you're into that kind of thing.
Well, long story short, it's like i7 without Intel HD graphics. It's little bit expensive than I5 and little bit cheaper than I7, but unlike I5 this one is with Hyper-Threading, which is basically the main reason why I'm buying it (because I hope TW3 will profit from this feature). I read a lot about it and lots of ppl using this CPU for gaming purpose. I am planning using this rig purely for gaming purposes and sometimes rendering some videos. This CPU should perform same performance as I5 + be better when it could profit from HT - at least I have read this and saw some reviews and tests.
It would be great if someone who has personal experience with Xeon cpu's for gaming write his impressions. :)

Last edited:
Right, i just spent a little time reading on the XEON cpu. I think it's gonna do great. I don't know if HT will be of use to the witcher although i doubt it but it's a really good cpu anyway, so you shouldn't have any problems.

The Xeons are different from the K-series Cores in that they have locked multipliers. Overclocking isn't something the customers who buy Xeons in lots of a thousand go in for. Models from the E3-1230v3 and up have hyperthreading (8 bogocores). Watch it in buying from a catalog of Xeons that you don't inadvertently get an LGA 1356 or LGA 2011 model.

The Xeons are different from the K-series Cores in that they have locked multipliers. Overclocking isn't something the customers who buy Xeons in lots of a thousand go in for. Models from the E3-1230v3 and up have hyperthreading (8 bogocores). Watch it in buying from a catalog of Xeons that you don't inadvertently get an LGA 1356 or LGA 2011 model.
I have LGA1150 socket which is matching my MB. But, if I ask you, what CPU would you personally buy for The Witcher 3 to the rig I posted few posts above?
@Giovanni1983 really made me wonder if it would be better to buy I5 4690k which is little bit cheaper than Xeon 1231v3 and get MB with Z97 socket for posibble OC but with cost of losing HT (which I guess nobody still knows if TW3 will support).

I have LGA1150 socket which is matching my MB. But, if I ask you, what CPU would you personally buy for The Witcher 3 to the rig I posted few posts above?
@Giovanni1983 really made me wonder if it would be better to buy I5 4690k which is little bit cheaper than Xeon 1231v3 and get MB with Z97 socket for posibble OC but with cost of losing HT (which I guess nobody still knows if TW3 will support).

It all depends on your longevity plans, i.e. how long do you intend to save your system before moving onto something else and of course your willingness to spend money. Personally I wouldn't go for the Z97 since your current Motherboards are more than good enough and we don't know how long the 1150 will be the norm (With Skylake supposedly being launched this autumn, introducing 1151 Motherboards).

The Xeon E3-1231v3 have been compared to be quite similar in gaming performance to that of the 4770 (which is essentially the 4690k with hyper-threading) and as of such I would value the hyper-threading ability higher than the extra power you get from overclocking, especially as you need to also spend more money on a cooler and on wattage once you over clock. Not to mention of course all other benefits you get from having a processor dedicated for actual work load, over the more "light usage" of an i5.

Again your preference may vary, if you indeed want over clocking, sure then the 4690k will probably be the right choice, but for all other tasks the Xeon is just simply better. If we are talking about performance in Witcher 3, it's not really clear. Since we don't know the impact of hyper-threading and the increased cache you get from a i7/Xeon vs actual clock speed you could get from an over clocked i5. I also want to stress that there's a lot of misconception about Xeon processors, so don't assume they are bad just because they aren't the most used ones.

Overall the processor is fine for gaming and having the possibility for more intensive stuff is always nice. After all just because a processor is intended for server work doesn't mean it's a bad processor for gaming. With similar price points I would pick the Xeon, because in Finland (where I'm from) having a hyper-threaded processor for the same price is quite the "steal"... On a side note, Thank you a lot for mentioning the 1231. My brother will soon get a new computer, I might have to recommend the 1231 over the i5 since he won't touch over-clocking anyway...

A good review of the Xeon E3-1231v3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBIfDEcozqM

Last edited:
Thank you for your opinion @Juuuhan, it seems like overclocking is something "must do" in gaming right now, but I was always worried about it and sceptical. And my current CPU is i5 2500k which is afaik one of the OC legends between CPU's but I don't have proper conditions for OC'ing it. (small case, old MB and bad cooler).
I think I'll stay with Xeon.

Much depends on the prices you can actually buy for, in the region you're shopping in. Here, I can get:

Xeon E3 1220 v3 (3.1 GHz) vs. Core i5 4570 (3.2 GHz) both $205 but the Xeon has 8MB cache vs. 6MB for the Core i5.

Xeon E3 1231 v3 (3.4 GHz, HT) $257 vs. Core i7 4770 (3.4 GHz, HT) $300

So I'd say they are about the same if you do not need hyperthreading; if you do need HT, the Xeons are better deals than Core i7's.

I like your choice of an E3 1230 v3. Here the 1230 and 1231 are the same price, and the 1231 is 0.1 GHz faster.

Last edited:
Well, Xeon E3 1231v3 is about 24$ more expensive than i5 4690k here, but If I'd take the i5 and want to OC in future I would have to pay extra cash for Z97 chipset MB and better CPU cooler so it will cost more probably. I'll stay with that Xeon, when The Witcher 3 will be released I will tell you guys how's it going :)

Last edited:
I intend to wait for The Witcher 3 release, checking benchmarks of different systems running the game, and only then i'll upgrade my 2 EVGA GTX 570 SC to GTX 970/980/980Ti (if it will be available until then).
My question is: will it be worth it to keep 1 of my 570 SC as a dedicated PhysX card? Will my i5-2500k bottleneck 980/980Ti+570SC?
My specs are:
i5-2500k @4.2 Ghz
2*EVGA GTX 570 SC running in SLI (will upgrade)
Gskill 8 GB 1600Mhz RAM
Crucial C300 120GB SSD
2* 1TB Samsung HDDs (Raid 0)
ASUS 27" 3D VG278H 120Hz monitor
Windows 7 64bit
1200W Thermaltake Toughpower power supply

I have said it before and will say it again, no Core i5 Sandy Bridge or later will whatever "bottleneck" is supposed to mean be a limiting resource with any single GPU. Same goes for AMD FX-8's and probably for Nehalems.

Whether the 570 will be useful as a PhysX resource remains to be seen. There hasn't been any substantive talk at all of game performance with a dedicated PhysX card. Everything else you have is excellent.

Last edited:
Well, Xeon E3 1231v3 is about 24$ more expensive than i5 4690k here, but If I'd take the i5 and want to OC in future I would have to pay extra cash for Z97 chipset MB and better CPU cooler so it will cost more probably. I'll stay with that Xeon, when The Witcher 3 will be released I will tell you guys how's it going :)

i would go with an i7 4770/4771/4790 and not change the motherboard. What is your MB now? Dont know about the Xeons but if they perform the same as i7s in gaming than its the best choice.

Top Bottom