The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
Glad i could help.

This requirement issue is one of my favorite topics. I would be really happy to be able to play the game on the absolute max if i could but i doubt most people will, so it's better if we all get to play with a decent quality but a good framerate :D

Glad i could help.

This requirement issue is one of my favorite topics. I would be really happy to be able to play the game on the absolute max if i could but i doubt most people will, so it's better if we all get to play with a decent quality but a good framerate :D

I hear you. I was dreaming about playing it ultra but when I think about it, I just want to play it with a decent quality too, I don't need everything at max settings, Iam in for the story most than anything. I will give you an update when I will buy my laptop if you want. I'd be happy to have you insight again on the final choice :)

I hear you. I was dreaming about playing it ultra but when I think about it, I just want to play it with a decent quality too, I don't need everything at max settings, Iam in for the story most than anything. I will give you an update when I will buy my laptop if you want. I'd be happy to have you insight again on the final choice :)

Sure i am always interested to know how well a gaming laptop of that quality works.

Another "will this run this game" question:

I had planned on buying the parts for a sub-$1000 mini-ITX computer build and here are the parts I've come with: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/smqksY

I don't live near anywhere near a Microcenter so no i5-4960k for $199.99 for me in the near future, so as it stands (never mind the highlighted, unpriced parts - those are planned accessories unrelated to the computer itself, save for maybe a liquid cooler if I DO get a 4960k) WILL this i5-4460 + EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB "Superclocked" run this game and at what possible settings?

Attachments

• ScratchHead.gif
    ScratchHead.gif
    418 bytes · Views: 49
OK, my seller has gave this list

MSI Z97A gaming 6
Intel Core ie-4690k 3.5Ghz Box
Asus GeForce Strix GTX970
Kingston HypeX Predator DDR3 2666MHz 8Gb (x2)
Nox NX 750W

Any comment? Suggestions? I'm not interest about Ultra-Utraest graphics

Setup looks good, tbh. And I'm thinking it could run the game on more or less ultra on 1080p.

One thing I would personally change would be the RAM, with a kit that has lower frequency (2666 MHz is a bit over the top and doesn't offer much performance gain).
You could even go lower on the power supply, a 600W one being more than enough for the system here, perhaps invest in a more reliable brand as well (Corsair, Seasonic).

Don't forget to invest in a decent CPU cooler, since the stock ones are not very good. :)
An SSD would also benefit the game quite a bit since it uses streaming tech.

What he said, no point in RAM with that much frequency, 1333, 1600 or 1800 will do fine. I think the Kingston HyperX FURY has those.
A good CPU cooler(CoolerMaster, Noctua for example) and a good PSU, SeaSonic is the preferred brand when it comes to PSU, XFX brand is equally good.

CPU: Core i7-3820 4-Core 3.60GHz RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 780 MSI Lightning Edition PSU: Raidmax RX-850AE 80 Gold certified
Motherboard: GA-X79-UD3 SSD: 110 GB and HDD: 1 TB
Cooling: Water
Monitor : AOC e2050Sda 20inch (1920x1080)
So guys how is my rig holding up? I know my rig will probably handle the game on high no problem. But what about ultra? Do you guys thing ultra is possible at 1080p? :) also I might be upgrading my SSD and HDD to a hybrid SSHD with 2 tb space in time for the games release. Looking forward to hear your guys opnions. Cheers!

My laptop is 4 years old now and it is dying. and the witcher 3 is gonna be released soon. So Iam gonna kill two birds with one stone and buy a gaming laptop. But Iam a novice, so I got a few questions I'd hope you help me with. Thank you in advance for helping.

1 ) What's considered better between : Asus and MSI ?
2 ) I can get a 8gb ram with a 980 or a 16gb ram with 970. What's best?
3 ) Is a SSD really that important for gaming?

and the last question :

4 ) Do you think new better gaming laptop will be released in May or June ? with better graphic card. I'd hate to buy a laptop in april to see that there are better ones released one or two months later. I can wait until june. I know its not really a question you can answer knowing there's no certainty, but I just need an idea, something to point me in the right direction. Thanks again. And sorry if some of those questions are "stupid" :)

1) Personally I'd go with MSI if I had to, I like their designs, the build quality is top notch and some of them are remarkably slim for the amount of power they offer, a friend of mine has this one (or similar I think). ASUS is equally good or even better but I have seen MSI with my own eyes so I can vouch for the quality.

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GS70-2QE-Stealth-Pro-Silver-Edition.html#hero-overview

However I never actually want to go with high end gaming laptops, first of all they are very expensive, second battery life is usually while gaming so you always need it connected to the power socket, third laptop obviously offer no options for upgrade so the value is questionable and finally I absolutely hate the blowing sound of fans while you're gaming. You can use headphones but sometimes it's too much to bear, PC also make fan sounds but usually it's far from you.

2) 8 GB with GTX 980 sounds better to me.

3) Yes for games like The Witcher 3, it will probably make a good difference but for normal games not that much.

4) No clue to be honest but maybe some price slash on Nvidia products after AMD launch R9 300 series.

MSI Z97A gaming 6
Nox NX 750W

Good system. Most probably ready for ultra (1080p) minus 60 fps but you can tone down a thing or two to maintain 60 fps. Additionally if you can add an SSD then it's going to be a solid system and TW3 will benefit from that.

MSI Z97A gaming 6
Nox NX 750W

Like others have said, that high frequency memory won't be of any use to you. It's only useful to overclockers or benchmarkers.

I would drop the DDR3 2666 and get DDR3 1800 instead, and then use the extra money for an SSD.. I wouldn't go below DDR3 1600 though, as memory speed is still beneficial to overall system performance.

---------- Updated at 01:37 AM ----------

CPU: Core i7-3820 4-Core 3.60GHz RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600MHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 780 MSI Lightning Edition PSU: Raidmax RX-850AE 80 Gold certified
Motherboard: GA-X79-UD3 SSD: 110 GB and HDD: 1 TB
Cooling: Water
Monitor : AOC e2050Sda 20inch (1920x1080)
So guys how is my rig holding up? I know my rig will probably handle the game on high no problem. But what about ultra? Do you guys thing ultra is possible at 1080p? :) also I might be upgrading my SSD and HDD to a hybrid SSHD with 2 tb space in time for the games release. Looking forward to hear your guys opnions. Cheers!

You should make ultra I believe, but your FPS obviously won't be anywhere near 60 FPS. Most like around mid 30s to low 40s. Whilst the GTX 780 is still a powerful card, it lacks the enhancements NVidia made towards compute performance and efficiency with Maxwell based GPUs..

And the Witcher 3 like most modern games will be heavy on compute shaders.. Overclocking would help quite a bit, since you're on water. As for hybrid SSDs, I suppose they are a decent alternative. It's been a long time since I've looked at benchmarks for them though.

SSHD isn't an upgrade. More like an expensive sidegrade at best.

SSD for applications you care about and their data, Windows on an HDD of decent performance and reliability. Because putting Windows on an SSD wastes a lot of expensive disk space, and the only thing it does is impress your friends with how fast Windows can boot. My not caring how fast Windows can boot knows no bounds.

Pretty much, SSD is really quite an 'optional' component at best, barely has anything to do with actual performance outside of some superfluous gains like faster system booting or faster loading times in certain games but the cost outweighs the benefits in a gaming scenario.

So if faster booting is something you enjoy along with applications loading faster and shorter loading times in games that have loading then you could go for it, otherwise no need. That said, I myself might be getting an SSD for Windows and other applications because my current spinning platter of rust(HDD) is... rusting. I don't care about system boot time 'speed' because I only boot once or twice per week.

Pretty much, SSD is really quite an 'optional' component at best, barely has anything to do with actual performance outside of some superfluous gains like faster system booting or faster loading times in certain games but the cost outweighs the benefits in a gaming scenario.

I'm of a different opinion.. Since all major 3D engines these days stream data in the background from both RAM and storage, getting an SSD is certainly beneficial and can impact the game experience in a positive manner outside of just faster loading times..

Witcher 2 is a prime example. Playing Witcher 2 on an HDD and a SSD are two different experiences, as the Witcher 2 streams so much data from storage. On an SSD, there is no hitching or pauses due to loading data while on an HDD there is..

Not saying the Witcher 3 is going to be like the Witcher 2 when it comes to streaming, as the latter was DX9 and 32 bit, both of which are significant limitations. But an SSD definitely improves the gaming experience. It's not nearly as important as a fast CPU and GPU for gaming of course, but it's a very noticeable system upgrade..

SSD is certainly beneficial and can impact the game experience in a positive manner outside of just faster loading times..
I never said it doesn't impact anything else, whole point centred around me finding the gains too small to shell out cash for if merely videogames are concerned.

Playing Witcher 2 on an HDD and a SSD are two different experiences, as the Witcher 2 streams so much data from storage. On an SSD, there is no hitching or pauses due to loading data while on an HDD there is..
Cannot say I've experienced any HDD related 'hitching' nor evidence that TW2 even streams much data from the disk. There are a few loading screens in Witcher 2 but they're 2-3 seconds long at best, an SSD might make them pretty trivial but that is a trivial 'gain' in the first place, saving 2 seconds?

Maybe I'm looking at something else entirely but I just ran Witcher 2 for ~15-20 minutes running around dense areas and suddenly spinning the camera around on purpose, HDD usage never went over 10% during gameplay, some areas there's a little 'loading' without the screen, just the Ouroboros on the bottom left, only at one moment like that it went upto 30% but that's momentary just 30. So I personally haven't seen TW2 to be a case where the HDD is choking yet. This was(on purpose) done on SATA2 instead of 3 and that didn't make a difference in this case.

Maybe Watch_Dogs would show some difference since that's a game which constantly thrashes the drive for data but I don't have it.

If we're gonna continue, it's probably better here:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/32239-Building-a-gaming-PC/page77

Last edited:
1) Personally I'd go with MSI if I had to, I like their designs, the build quality is top notch and some of them are remarkably slim for the amount of power they offer, a friend of mine has this one (or similar I think). ASUS is equally good or even better but I have seen MSI with my own eyes so I can vouch for the quality.

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GS70-2QE-Stealth-Pro-Silver-Edition.html#hero-overview

However I never actually want to go with high end gaming laptops, first of all they are very expensive, second battery life is usually while gaming so you always need it connected to the power socket, third laptop obviously offer no options for upgrade so the value is questionable and finally I absolutely hate the blowing sound of fans while you're gaming. You can use headphones but sometimes it's too much to bear, PC also make fan sounds but usually it's far from you.

2) 8 GB with GTX 980 sounds better to me.

Three members answered me ( including you ) and the three of you told me about the desktop being the better choice, and I believe you of course, but once again, It is incompatible with my life style :eek:uch:

First, Thank you!
My 4 years laptop is a gaming one ( Asus ), I bought it 800 euros and It made the job. I was able to play games in high for 2 years, and in decent quality for the 3rd year. Now I can play Ori & the blind forrest or Pillars of eternity even if he struggles a little bit. the blow fan started the 3rd year, and It is pretty annoying. But overall Iam very happy about it. I just want that again. 2 years of ultra/high gaming, a 3rd one of decent gaming. I think I can do it, especially now that my price range has doubled.

By the way Iam not struggling anymore between Asus and MSi anymore. Asus got better cooling system, they also got IPS screen and it's cheaper.

As for the SSD, How much gb do you think is best ? 128? 256? 350? 500?

I want to thank you, and the other members again for helping me :)

Top Bottom