The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
with an i5 2500k, if I can get my hands on a GTX970, would the CPU be too much of a limiting factor against the GPU?

I know we dont have TW3 right here for testing, but using speculation and modern games in general can anyone attempt to give an answer.

thanks in advance.

I am telling yah those minimums are going to turn out as the high settings, or something ridicules.

I'm also concerned about notebooks. Those are heavy requirements for a notebook to meet. Notebooks downclock the CPU and GPU to save power and heat, and don't have the ability desktops do to get rid of heat. But those aren't specs oriented to low-power CPUs and GPUs.

I don't have anything even remotely resembling a "gaming notebook" so won't be working from firsthand knowledge of how this game performs on them.

Guy has already answered here. Even in the min reqs, it's too high for a notebook, in my experience. Also many people will be forced to update certain parts, it's unavoidable, like RAM and GPU. Adding RAM isn't expensive, but you know how it works when it comes to v-cards or CPU....

I'm noob in all of this, but I'll try.

Nvidia 650M 1GB
4GB RAM
Intel Core i5 2.60GHz

I think that's all? Oh yes, it's a notebook.

As Guy already said, I am afraid that vcard may be the problem. Also it requires at least 6gb RAM ( to meet the min reqs, so I don't really know what it'll need for the lowest performance)

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm actually fairly confident my rig will run TW3, even if it's below minimum specs in terms of GPU and RAM (worse than yours even, Al.) If it can't then I guess I'll upgrade, not before trying it first though.

What are your specs, and do they in anyway resemble this

Quad Core Q9950 2.83 GB

Geforce GTX 750 TI 2 GB

6 Ram.

Last edited:
with an i5 2500k, if I can get my hands on a GTX970, would the CPU be too much of a limiting factor against the GPU?

I know we dont have TW3 right here for testing, but using speculation and modern games in general can anyone attempt to give an answer.

thanks in advance.

I don't think so, not in a single GPU configuration.

What later processors have (and Sandy Bridge doesn't) is PCI-e 3.0 support. 3.0 is twice as fast as 2.0, and it takes 16 lanes of 2.0 to carry the same data as 8 lanes of 3.0.

Sandy Bridge processors on LGA 1155 give you something like 20 lanes of PCI-e 2.0. That's adequate for one high-end GPU and all the other things that ride the PCI-e bus.

Other than that, Sandy Bridge has a memory architecture that is ideal for the important task of slinging graphics resources. So I'd say it's adequate.

What are your specs, and do they anyway resemble this

Quad Core Q9950 2.83 GB

Geforce GTX 750 TI 2 GB

6 Ram.

Nope, like I said, my specs are just under the minimum requirements.

HD 6850 (just 1 GB VRAM, so that should be fun)
4GB RAM

CPU should be fine, I made sure I overdid it there when I last upgraded, 'cause screw upgrading CPUs - it's an i7 2600 at 3.4 GHz

Nope, like I said, my specs are just under the minimum requirements.

HD 6850 (just 1 GB VRAM, so that should be fun)
4GB RAM

CPU should be fine, I made sure I overdid it there when I last upgraded, 'cause screw upgrading CPUs - it's an i7 2600 at 3.4 GHz

Well those are my specs, and I aint changing them either. So if it doesn't work than its getting the old PS4 for me.

Well those are my specs, and I aint changing them either. So if it doesn't work than its getting the old PS4 for me.

Well, I honestly think it'll be fine. You hear that, @Marcin Momot? It'll be fine!

And if it isn't, I'd personally rather just get some more RAM and a new GPU than a console. I'm just too used to PC gaming.

I've mentioned before, I'm concerned about just how far into sub-minimum territory the 750Ti goes. But it's still in the range of "you'll have to cut something back to make the game look good and play well", not "the game will look so much worse that you might as well buy a PS4."

And the Q9550's a mean old beast. It also takes pretty incredible overclocks. If a Phenom II x4 can handle it, so can a Q9550.

Well, I honestly think it'll be fine. You hear that, @Marcin Momot ? It'll be fine!

And if it isn't, I'd personally rather just get some more RAM and a new GPU than a console. I'm just too used to PC gaming.

Same however my mother board is a harsh mistress. I change her I got to change damn near everything else including the ram, etc. So I would be basically making a new machine, or buying a new computer.

---------- Updated at 11:02 PM ----------

I've mentioned before, I'm concerned about just how far into sub-minimum territory the 750Ti goes. But it's still in the range of "you'll have to cut something back to make the game look good and play well", not "the game will look so much worse that you might as well buy a PS4."

And the Q9550's a mean old beast. It also takes pretty incredible overclocks. If a Phenom II x4 can handle it, so can a Q9550.

Thats my trump card she is puring at a steady 2.8 right now, but I can mod that sucker if necessary.

Maybe , for real, people should stop of comparing the requirements of witcher 3 with others game that are only graph with shitty gameplay, i has never hear of a game so ambitious like The Witcher 3 (and Star Citizen) with so many things happening in real time, physx based on real time calculation, no just a pre rendered animation, for sure the amount of ram, v-ram and in special power of calculation from the cpu.
People should understand that the "next gen" will come with more real-time physics, more dynamic light, etc.

Maybe , for real, people should stop of comparing the requirements of witcher 3 with others game that are only graph with shitty gameplay, i has never hear of a game so ambitious like The Witcher 3 (and Star Citizen) with so many things happening in real time, physx based on real time calculation, no just a pre rendered animation, for sure the amount of ram, v-ram and in special power of calculation from the cpu.
People should understand that the "next gen" will come with more real-time physics, more dynamic light, etc.

wut?

Pretty much like I've expected, no surprises here. I think the recommended specs are even a bit low.

Since my Xeon E3-1230v3 CPU is almost as good as the i7 3770 and my nvidia GTX 970 GPU is much better than GTX 770 I guess I'm good to go. :)

Last edited:

thanks in advance.
I don't think it's gonna be a problem.
I have i5 2500K myself and GFX 560 ti, planing to upgrade to GFX 970 before W3 comes out.

Not going into technical details, just look at CPU benchmarks by fps (here http://www.hardwarepal.com/best-cpu-gaming-9-processors-8-games-tested/ or here for older http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-charts-2013/-21-Mafia-II,Marque_fbrandx14,3176.html bechmark), the difference is few FPS, for some games even no difference at all.
Meanwhile price difference between i5 and i7 is huge ? buy i5 and invest that money in GPU -> profit.

guys im' stuch with a i7 2600 for the time beeing, ( non k) i had to change some pieces becouse reasons, BUT for the time this game is out i will have dual 980 ( have one under the belt,lot of expenses latley ) so do you think i will have problems runnig everytin on max with filters at 60 + fps? i'm willing to stop at 1080 if ha too but i was more pointing twards 1440.....so bottleneck or no? opinions?

guys im' stuch with a i7 2600 for the time beeing, ( non k) i had to change some pieces becouse reasons, BUT for the time this game is out i will have dual 980 ( have one under the belt,lot of expenses latley ) so do you think i will have problems runnig everytin on max with filters at 60 + fps? i'm willing to stop at 1080 if ha too but i was more pointing twards 1440.....so bottleneck or no? opinions?

I'm skeptical of the ability of Sandy Bridge to handle high-end GPUs in SLI. It should be able to handle one, but two monster GPUs is pushing the envelope of PCI-e 2.0.

If you run into trouble with CPU load or texture loading delays and can manage an update to an Ivy Bridge (motherboards with Z77 chipsets usually can), it may help. But don't go to that expense until you find you really need it.

Hey all, seeing these system requirements is making me nervous.

My Specs are as follows:
Nvidia GeForce 765M
i7-4910QM
16GB of Ram

The laptop itself has really nice cooling (for a laptop) on top of the high quality external cooling solutions that I have bought myself. Even when running full turbo, this thing runs relatively cool.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Recommended specs seem a bit low. Maybe those downgrade rumors are true after all. Can you guys show us some new gameplay footage so I can put these worries to rest?

Hey all, seeing these system requirements is making me nervous.

My Specs are as follows:
Nvidia GeForce 765M
i7-4910QM
16GB of Ram

The laptop itself has really nice cooling (for a laptop) on top of the high quality external cooling solutions that I have bought myself. Even when running full turbo, this thing runs relatively cool.

Thanks in advance for any help.

just wanna chime in and say that the laptop GPUs like those gtx 660m are not comparable to the desktop counter parts. Rated much lower if I'm not mistaken so if you're comparing your 765m to the 770 on the recommended list, don't.

just wanna chime in and say that the laptop GPUs like those gtx 660m are not comparable to the desktop counter parts. Rated much lower if I'm not mistaken so if you're comparing your 765m to the 770 on the recommended list, don't.

I am comparing it with the minimum requirements. I want to know if I can play the game.

Top Bottom