The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
Open sourcing it can be good. But they also use tons of proprietary stuff which isn't theirs. Anyway, if they'll use eON for TW3 (which I personally wouldn't like) then already high requirements will become even higher, so I definitely hope they won't do it and would make a proper native version.

Last edited:
So according to some sites that were present in the hands on event, it was quite confirmed that the PS4 version runs the witcher 3 at 1080p 30 fps with some slight less detail than the pc (high). I know that this wasn't confirmed by CDPR yet, but i really want to understand the minimum specs.

I have a gtx 660ti and fx 4300( hoping to upgrade to 970 and 4790k) and on DA: Inquisition I run a mix of Ultra/High with 40 fps with some dips to 32 on very populated areas, and compared to the setting on PS4 that is most medium with some effects and texture on high.
I know that i can't compared the two games but the requirements are really complex to me.

I live in Brazil, so hardware is really expensive, and the salary quite low.

So according to some sites that were present in the hands on event, it was quite confirmed that the PS4 version runs the witcher 3 at 1080p 30 fps with some slight less detail than the pc (high). I know that this wasn't confirmed by CDPR yet, but i really want to understand the minimum specs.

I have a gtx 660ti and fx 4300( hoping to upgrade to 970 and 4790k) and on DA: Inquisition I run a mix of Ultra/High with 40 fps with some dips to 32 on very populated areas, and compared to the setting on PS4 that is most medium with some effects and texture on high.
I know that i can't compared the two games but the requirements are really complex to me.

I live in Brazil, so hardware is really expensive, and the salary quite low.

The PC that was in use has been said to be a 4690 (that's a Haswell "refresh" Core i5) with a GTX 980. That's what will get you high settings at 1920x1080, 30fps, apparently. So the rumors that the game chews up and spits out GPUs have some foundation.

We don't know whether the CPU is limiting, but an FX-4300 is pretty far down the list of high-performing CPUs, somewhat more than half of the "minimum" Core i5 2500k. However, if you have a motherboard that takes an AMD FX, you can upgrade within AMD and still get a high-performing CPU on the same motherboard, for a lot less money. Watch compatibility of specific models when upgrading, as some motherboards cannot handle the high power demand of some of the FX-8xxx CPUs.

The 660Ti is quite a bit stronger than the stated minimum 660, it should compare well to anything less than a 770 or 970.

So I would be reluctant to upgrade the CPU at this point, because we don't know whether it would be limiting. If I did upgrade, I would consider an AMD FX-8xxx first. I would be reluctant to upgrade the GPU, because you already have a high-performing GPU. I would see how the game performed for me and see whether anybody comes up with good bargains in hardware to get high performance out of the game.

We know you can throw a lot of money at the game and get something that will play it well. We don't know how little you can get by with and play it well. When you have a good starting point and money is tight, I would want to know the latter (how little you can get by with) before spending hard-earned money.

Watch compatibility of specific models when upgrading, as some motherboards cannot handle the high power demand of some of the FX-8xxx CPUs.

In terms of upgrading and compatibility, this site is pretty handy:

http://pcpartpicker.com/

and the canuck version is http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/

Even if you are from FAR AND AWEE, the site has two advantages - a bevy of sample builds and price points and the compatability warnings and locks that will only show you the bits that work with other bits, as you build your system.

Quite handy.

So the recommended specs get you the same performance as a PS4 with significantly lower spec parts?
If so that does not sound like an amazing performance job/port, unless I am missing something.

Hi Guys!
tell me,can i run the game on the ultra video setting on this hardware:
Core i7 2.5GHz up to 3.5GHz
GTX 860m 4GB GDDR5
8GB RAM
its my laptop, Lenovo y50
please answer me...!

So the recommended specs get you the same performance as a PS4 with significantly lower spec parts?
If so that does not sound like an amazing performance job/port, unless I am missing something.

I believe the difference between graphics? PS4 looks a little bit worse than PC High, and PC even has Ultra settings. If Adam even adds Ubersampling to these "max settings", then isn't it a good performance?

I believe the difference between graphics? PS4 looks a little bit worse than PC High, and PC even has Ultra settings. If Adam even adds Ubersampling to these "max settings", then isn't it a good performance?

Not at all. The recommended specs mean parts a fair bit more powerful than what is in the consoles. If that gets you performance equal or slightly better than the consoles one does not have amazing optimization on the pc side of things. If they meant 30 fps on ultra it would be a different story, but many unconfirmed reports right now.

The interview with Adam Badowski states that recommended spec would get you maximum graphics on PC with 30 fps though...

Yeah, I really hope if you're looking to get 30fps with recommended specs on higher settings - that this is with some of those kind of overkill graphics options that don't hurt too much to turn off like ubersampling or really high anti aliasing.
Not really happy about if my relatively good rig will only get 30fps on high with those kind of things turned off.

@frynse

I'm sure we will be able to tweak some stuff to get higher frame rates ;) This is one of the main things about PC gaming anyways. You are not limited to "presets". I literally cannot imagine a game that I did not tweak at least once (First thing to do when I open a game for the first time, is to go to the graphics options).

@frynse

I'm sure we will be able to tweak some stuff to get higher frame rates ;) This is one of the main things about PC gaming anyways. You are not limited to "presets". I literally cannot imagine a game that I did not tweak at least once (First thing to do when I open a game for the first time, is to go to the graphics options).

That is not really his point (or mine) though. I realise that a 770 is not the best card anymore, but it does run circles around what is in the One/PS4.
Now the fact that the consoles have fixed specs helps in optimization, though it should not mean that you need that 770 and I7 to match console quality while being near that 30 fps. If so you would need several times more powerful hardware on pc to have the same experience as on console and that is a tad absurd.

The PC that was in use has been said to be a 4690 (that's a Haswell "refresh" Core i5) with a GTX 980. That's what will get you high settings at 1920x1080, 30fps, apparently. So the rumors that the game chews up and spits out GPUs have some foundation.
Hopefully it was just vsynced to keep a stable frame rate. I mean the game is going to be hella demanding if a GTX 980 struggles with it @ 1080p..

@501105 Then we come back to my main point: How do we know the maximum PC settings only "match" the console quality? Is it truly believable? I have a really, really hard time believing that. Apart from the numerous previews I have read yesterday (Which screamed that even on "high", PC version looked better while they were testing), we also know there are extra tech features on PC. Like Ubersampling, like HairWorks, HBAO+, anti-aliasing, etc. It should be clear that if you tweak some of these settings, you could easily get around 60 FPS with minimal graphical compromise. Isn't that the case with every multi-platform game? I still feel like you guys are not getting my point here :) I think there is no way that the max graphics on PC would "match" the consoles.

(Also, about the "We use the same base for every platform" statement... "Every" multuplatform game is designed like that. They all use x64 based architecture, so their codes are the same. The console versions just use a certain preset - like those .ini files that you edit to change your video settings. So I wouldn't worry too much on that.)

Hi all I have a few questions regarding System Requirements to play Witcher 3. I have 8 GB of DDR3 Ram, Intel Core2 QX9770 and EVGA GeForce GTX 680. I can play most new games on high with no problems and I was wondering if my current set up could play witcher 3 on high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom