The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
Well I hope to reach very high setting with hairworks & 30-60+ FPS... for the sake of the recordings for my witcher 3 - movie version :D .... a 980gtx shouldnt make any big differnce either compared to 970gtx ?
A big difference price-wise for sure :D about performance you can find it easily.. Just by common sense 10 fps at best I think. GTX 970 is still better value for money by far even with the newly-discovered issues. IMHO :)

How well do you think gaming laptops will fair with the Witcher 3? the Y50 in particular with its Intel I7-4710HQ and 860M 4GB (Maxwell). I am also curious, how will the 960m, and 970m run in this game? paired with the next generation Intel I7-5700s for laptops.

Last edited:
How well do you think gaming laptops will fair with the Witcher 3? the Y50 in particular with its Intel I7-4710HQ and 860M 4GB (Maxwell). I am also curious, how will the 960m, and 970m run in this game? paired with the next generation Intel I7-5700s for laptops.

I think the 860M is below minimum spec, as is the 960m. They're equal to a desktop 750Ti. 16-ROP GPUs may not make the cut for this game.
Of GPUs that are equal to or better than the minimum spec, something like:
870m < 965m < 880m < 970m < 980m
The 965m and 880m should be comparable to a desktop 960; the 970m and 980m are going to be outclassed by the desktop 970 and 980.
So the high-end mobile GPUs may be what you need to get good performance at a reduced resolution.

With the load we've seen the game put on the GPU in the demo, I'm concerned about heating in laptops and the laptop going into thermal slowdown. I'd like to be wrong about that. But this is going to be a challenging game for laptop hardware.

Last edited:
30 FPS Where did you see that? I don't play game's on PC to get 30 fps is there a link you can show me that proves it?
I saw that on czech Eurogamer, so it would be hard for you, if I send you the link, but fortunatelly @Guy N'wah post a link to the transleted interview with CDPR studio lead Adam Badowski here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...th-CDPR-studio-lead-Adam-Badowski-translation

There is a paragraph saying:
"Will we reach 30 or 60 FPS on the recommended requirements?
I think that we will display 30 FPS. We plan to work on performance till the very end, this is really important, the hardware is very diversified. The programmers really pushed us not to perform demagoguery and not deceive anyone, not pulled up the released requirements for lower specs. It’s how we wrote it, it can only get better."

But also like they said, performance is very important for them, and they have at least about 4 months to enhance the game.

I saw that on czech Eurogamer, so it would be hard for you, if I send you the link, but fortunatelly @Guy N'wah post a link to the transleted interview with CDPR studio lead Adam Badowski here: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...th-CDPR-studio-lead-Adam-Badowski-translation

There is a paragraph saying:
"Will we reach 30 or 60 FPS on the recommended requirements?
I think that we will display 30 FPS. We plan to work on performance till the very end, this is really important, the hardware is very diversified. The programmers really pushed us not to perform demagoguery and not deceive anyone, not pulled up the released requirements for lower specs. It’s how we wrote it, it can only get better."

But also like they said, performance is very important for them, and they have at least about 4 months to enhance the game.

What I read into that phrase "not pulled up the released requirements for lower specs" is that they have said there will be no reducing content, detail, or effects to allow for lower hardware requirements. In other words, no compromising and calling it optimization. Any optimization they do will be real optimization.

OMG!

Compromising is real optimization!!!
Sometimes the same things can be achieved in a more efficient technical way. Cutting down features could be simpler and quicker though. When you set the maximum level, you cut form it to make the engine scalable. Of course you need to know where you want to put the minimum and the maximum.

Anyway the Badowski quote is only regarding transparency and PR, doubt that he was thinking at the way optimization is done. They kept honest requirements and chose not to fake about the fact that the game is probably quite heavy, when run on low-end machines. That doesn't imply "no compromises" as I see it; he probably is not into those technical details

About the 970, I was thinking about getting it but then I red this... http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/does-the-geforce-gtx-970-have-a-memory-allocation-bug.html

We spoke about that before. The problem isn't about the GPU, but about Nvidia and its reputation.. The GPU still remains a good choice for the ones who will to buy a great card without getting to 980's crazy prices. Maybe will last a bit less become older a little sooner than expected but it's solid and if you read the article well they explain this is nothing to worry about for the normal user. If you plan to buy it better to wait a bit though after the rumors have settled.. Maybe there will be slight price variations or else

Last edited:
Why would it last less than expected? It's not damaged goods. Yield-managed product with modules disabled is standard practice, nobody questioned it when nVidia, Intel, AMD, and everybody who makes memory all did it before.

Is the Witcher 3 running on my laptop???

Please, someone could tell me whether I would have problems running the witcher 3 on my Laptop? As I have purchased the game and now I´m really worry about if it´s going to run or not.

I have an Alienware 17:
Intel Core i7 - 4710MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
GeForce GTX 860M with 2GB GDDR5
16GB RAM
500GB HDD
Windows 8.1 x64

Please be honest!!! and thanks so much guys.

---------- Updated at 07:51 PM ----------

So I believe you are saying it would be fine on my Laptop?? :)

Why would it last less than expected? It's not damaged goods. Yield-managed product with modules disabled is standard practice, nobody questioned it when nVidia, Intel, AMD, and everybody who makes memory all did it before.

Ehm I intended to say that the GPU can possibly become old (performance-wise due to slightly less ROPs and memory than Nvidia said at release) sooner than someone could have planned. Just my bad english and fast writing I apologize :p

@Portachelo I think you will struggle if we base upon the stated requirements. I am with Guy saying that GPU seems below minimum, so as CPU. Besides this if you have a 5000rpm HDD I consider it a major bottleneck for gaming. Hopefully you'll meet the very minimum but probably not much more. I'm sorry :(

Well I hope to reach very high setting with hairworks & 30-60+ FPS... for the sake of the recordings for my witcher 3 - movie version :D .... a 980gtx shouldnt make any big differnce either compared to 970gtx ?

I don't think there are very high settings there is High and after that comes Ultra. But i could be wrong or things could change in the end.

Last edited:
Im reposting this from other thread as this seems like a more fit place for it:

Okay there are so many confusion right now... I just don't believe in this statement about 30fps with 770 on High. This is just nonsense, how is that can even be called a costumisation??

So we now know that consoles won't even be running on high as in press event PC version was running on "High" and looked superior to consoles...

So the question is - can people with recommended or above specs expect to run atleast the "console" settings with their rigs for 60+ fps? If not than its a TOTAL Bs.

Ok so just a quick question since I see a lot of people here with greater knowledge then mine. Could it be said with absolute certainty that my GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost MSI Twin Frozr OC 2GB Edition is below minimum requirements for TW3? I don't have big confidence in automatic "test your requirements" sites even though most mark my GPU as below the requirements while my CPU and RAM pass with flying colors (even for recommended settings).

This is sadly very important to me because I planned on getting the CE edition but with prices here in Eastern EU, the price of CE is going to be on pair with the price of potential replacement card needed to play the game in the first place. I must confess I was unprepared for this since I have never experienced a jump that bad going from Ultra High in Shadows of Mordor to below the minimum requirements in TW3.

Last edited:
If I were you I'd just buy the retail basic edition or GOG digital and use the money I saved towards a new GPU. Even if you could make the game run on that card, I doubt the experience will be very smooth..

---------- Updated at 04:30 PM ----------

Also @Sharpy47

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-w...nded-specs-are-for-mid-high-settings-at-1080p

Not sure what kind of hw you needto have to match the console versions but TW3 will probably look great even @ low/medium settings.

If I were you I'd just buy the retail basic edition or GOG digital and use the money I saved towards a new GPU. Even if you could make the game run on that card, I doubt the experience will be very smooth..

---------- Updated at 04:30 PM ----------

Also @Sharpy47

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/the-w...nded-specs-are-for-mid-high-settings-at-1080p

Not sure what kind of hw you needto have to match the console versions but TW3 will probably look great even @ low/medium settings.

Thanks @eskimoe, Im sure it will look great on mid/high settings as we already have proof of that - the console version. All I care is that it could run smoothly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom