The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PC System Requirements are here!

+
^ Not that I know, the closest thing was revealed by GameStar that they played the demo on ultra settings using a single GTX 980 at almost 60 fps and that's why I say the performance won't be that much different on a 970 except maybe 10 fps difference but that's all assumption for now.

Out of curiosity...
How much would it cost to build a PC(from scratch)that can play TW3 at maximum (ultra) settings?

To get the game to run on ultra and decent fps, i think a pc around $900-$1000 would be required, depending on what components you'd choose for some things that do not matter as much as others, like case, cpu fan etc. Of course it depends on where you live and local prices as well.

Of course as eskiMoe says below, all these are assumptions from the little we know till now. Could be pretty accurate but there might be things off.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity...
How much would it cost to build a PC(from scratch)that can play TW3 at maximum (ultra) settings?
To get the most cost effective setup you'd better ask this after the release. When we actually know how it runs on various hardware.

Out of curiosity...

Well the 980 maxed the game out for around 60fps

We know that much. Most people estimating other GPUs around this fact sound pretty realistic but nobody knows. Nobody knows how much VRAM will come into play, how demanding certain features/gimmicks would be etc.

But so far, it's pretty much confirmed that a 980 (and high end i7 iirc) hit 60(ish) fps @ ultra 1080p. I'd assume lower cards like the 780ti/290x/780/290/970 wouldn't be far off but then again the normal 290 was listed as AMDs equivalent to the 770 in the system requirements which asks the question of just how well AMD cards are optimized for this game (in the most recent gameworks game, GTA V, AMD cards were optimized great, the 290/290x were head to head with the 970 and 980 respectively) and i'm guessing most i5s will be sufficient (i5 2500K and up i'd guess).

A question:

Will TW3 make use of multiple core CPU's? Since most games don't really need 4 core cpu, would it be overkill to go for a even higher number of cores then that?

That question has plenty of sides and not enough room to talk about all of them so extreme short version - It's not that games can't use the CPU cores, the problem is with the efficiency. Any decent 4 core i5 will do fine, above that is mostly overkill for games.

Performance Similarity Assumption - Disprove My Hypothesis?

Hi All,

This is the first time in the history of my 15 years of gaming that I create an account for any one game for the purposes of posting on the forums. This franchise just intrigued me that much out of the blue. I had TW2 gifted to me over a year ago on Steam...it's up to now that I finally try it out and realize what I've been missing out. It's hard to believe that game with those textures is that old already. It has aged beautifully.

Anyway, I'm still researching the internet for more information but is my hypothesis that IF I can run Dragon Age Inquisition with pretty much some of the latest technologies including Frostbyte 3's particle effects on Ultra between 40-60 FPS, that I can expect a similar experience in TW3?

This is not a comparisons thread about game-play, just on whether or not this is a safe assumption before I try to fork over another $700 to upgrade.

Thanks everyone! :cheers:

UPDATE: I have an i7 2600k 3.4 GHZ
EVGA GTX770 4GB Version
16GB DDR3 Ram

Last edited:
Hello! I am back again (Sorry)
Some weeks ago I planned to get the 970, this is my settp right now

Gpu 970 MSI Gaming 4G
12 GB Ram
CPU i5 2500 (non K) @3.3/3.6
MOBO Gigabyte P61

I am very worried about my CPU, some say I need to upgrade , I am looking to play on Almost Ultra, no fur/hairworks, no much AA and of course no Ubersampling, what do you think guys? Should I be able to play like that with this config?
Thanks

Hello! I am back again (Sorry)
Some weeks ago I planned to get the 970, this is my settp right now

Gpu 970 MSI Gaming 4G
12 GB Ram
CPU i5 2500 (non K) @3.3/3.6
MOBO Gigabyte P61

I am very worried about my CPU, some say I need to upgrade , I am looking to play on Almost Ultra, no fur/hairworks, no much AA and of course no Ubersampling, what do you think guys? Should I be able to play like that with this config?
Thanks

if you are using An 8gb + 4gb memory i'd suggest using two of the same size. Dual channel in my experience does not work well with different memory modules let alone different size. Otherwise you should be good to run ultra around 40-50 fps @ 1080p but we don't realy know before the game is out.

Thanks for the tip mate, my pc is 3 years old, I come from a Intel Pentium and beyond, Flightims and Diablo 2 time for the win! so any good tip is welcome

A question:

Will TW3 make use of multiple core CPU's? Since most games don't really need 4 core cpu, would it be overkill to go for a even higher number of cores then that?

Here's the thing, there's quite a difference between "needing" and "wanting" something. You're right that most games these days don't "need" a quad core CPU. In other words, they can still run on a dual core.. But for quite some time, quad cores have been offering a MASSIVE performance increase over their dual core counterparts in modern games.

Every single current gen game engine can make good use of a quad core CPU. And the most licensed engines (and some in house ones) can make good use of 6 core CPU. Frostbite 3, CryEngine, AnvilNext, Unreal Engine 4, basically all of the big premier engines. Games that scale well above four threads, usually have the rendering working across multiple threads for extra performance.

Now according to what CDPR has said about Red Engine 3, and even based on precedent (Witcher 2 could use a quad core CPU and that was a DX9 game), it's safe to assume that the Witcher 3 will take great advantage of quad core CPUs, and even more, hyperthreaded quad core CPUs or even hex cores!

Hi All,

This is the first time in the history of my 15 years of gaming that I create an account for any one game for the purposes of posting on the forums. This franchise just intrigued me that much out of the blue. I had TW2 gifted to me over a year ago on Steam...it's up to now that I finally try it out and realize what I've been missing out. It's hard to believe that game with those textures is that old already. It has aged beautifully.

Anyway, I'm still researching the internet for more information but is my hypothesis that IF I can run Dragon Age Inquisition with pretty much some of the latest technologies including Frostbyte 3's particle effects on Ultra between 40-60 FPS, that I can expect a similar experience in TW3?

This is not a comparisons thread about game-play, just on whether or not this is a safe assumption before I try to fork over another $700 to upgrade.

Thanks everyone! :cheers:

UPDATE: I have an i7 2600k 3.4 GHZ
EVGA GTX770 4GB Version
16GB DDR3 Ram

I think you will be ok playing at high settings :)

One more point that I forgot to mention. The current gen consoles can currently utilize at least 6 of their 8 cores for games, and being as underpowered as they are CPU wise, the Witcher 3 will HAVE to be programmed to be capable of using at least 6 threads in order to have acceptable performance..

This is an unexpected benefit of the current gen consoles for PC gaming. The weak multicore CPUs of the current gen consoles FORCED developers to implement highly scalable multithreaded algorithms in their engines to exploit the octa core CPUs in the PS4 and Xbox One as much as possible..

Cd projekt Sli / crossfire configuration 1st day

hey guys. I just recently saw the new 4k images and looks stunning . But since I have a bad experience running the witcher 2 In Sli (780ti) with bad scalling ; stuttering and some glitches. I'm very worried that any of the staff aren't telling anything about these feature.

Most Pc gamers don't have the titan X to run bad porting games or non Sli configuration games ( evil within). These make a night or day depending of how well the scaling works. There are people with 280/290/970/980 sli/crossfire configuration that will be unable to run W3 at ultra /1440p if the scale works bad.

I'm not trying to start nothing. Bad the Sli/ crossfire in W2 wasn't well made in some maps. They are working with the base of the red engine again and it will be nice to see some news about this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom