The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - VGX Trailer

+
UncleJoe said:
I understand. It`s not that I am against a full plated elves. But those presented looked like The Lord of the Rings copies of Sauron`s armor. I would like to see elvish versions of plate mail, but instead they decided to go on with something that have no elvish slenderness and finesse. Instaed, they look rigid, constrain movement ones which is illogical.

You are thinking by stereotypes. The Wild Hunt is supposed to be completely unrecognisable as elves, inhuman and terrifying. When you look at one of its wraiths, you're not supposed to say: "oh, an evil elf". This armour completely hides their form and body type, and that is the whole point. They are supposed to convey the appearance of monsters, not people. And they are completely consistent with the illustrations from The Witcher 2, so I don't know why you'd have expected that they would suddenly change the design for no reason.

Wow, this version is a shitload better than the one released earlier. Thanks, CDPR!

And damn, I absolutely love the Wild Hunt voice and armour. Terrific design.

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_vgx_trailer-31286_en.html

Length:1 minute 15 seconds
Format:1920 x 1080
FPS: 30 fps
Size: 293.67 MB

Lightice said:
You are thinking by stereotypes. The Wild Hunt is supposed to be completely unrecognisable as elves, inhuman and terrifying. When you look at one of its wraiths, you're not supposed to say: "oh, an evil elf". This armour completely hides their form and body type, and that is the whole point. They are supposed to convey the appearance of monsters, not people. And they are completely consistent with the illustrations from The Witcher 2, so I don't know why you'd have expected that they would suddenly change the design for no reason.

It is you who thinks in stereotypes. I just want the game to be as close to the Saga as possible. Whether you like it or not Saga is based on standard fantasy. I will write it again:read the books. It is precisly stated in the books that when wild hunt appears in northern reals they do such as their spectral emanations not in flesh. Conversly, when they do appear in flesh they are dercibed to look like a mid-heavy(partialy armoured if you don`tunderstand) cavalryman with a lances and bows.Having above in mind your arguments about concelment of identity are completly irrelavant.

How could you even imagine this jacked-up wild hunt guys from trailer be remotly close to what A.S. wrote? How could such a pile of metal ride a horse? String a bow? I repeat I just want the game to be as close to the Saga as possible. I do understand CDPR has their take on thing, they create art style suitable for their story but as a fan I am entilted to my own opinion.Moreso when I have the knowledge to give a proper argumentation.

BELOW YOU WILL FIND A VALID POINT PLS READ THIS!
If we presume, that CDPR want to be serious about the game they create they need to come up with something better than LotR Saurons` armour copy. I am sorry but it is a FACT. Armour of the wild hunt looks VERY alike LoTR ones. Do you disagree they`re strangely similar?

So, i am only the one who is a little bit underwhelmed by the trailer?

• I mean, sure, it looks fantastic, but i already knew that, because i saw the previous trailer.
  • Okay, we saw the Wild Hunt for the first time, but we already saw the artworks of them, still cool.
  • The fur looks great, but we also saw that too in the previous trailer.
  • Novigrad looked great, but we saw it from an unfavorable position in my opinion. I still can't say how huge it will be, because the camera could have been above the centre of the city or just one district. I would assume it is latter.
  • We saw a little bit of the gameplay again, but it's hard to say much about it, if Geralt kills everything with 1 hit. It looks flawless, but it kinda worries me that everything dies with 1 hit.
  • And finally we didn't get any new information about the story.
I guess that trailer was more or less just promotion for those who never heard of The Witcher before, sadly there are just too many of them.

Oh well, maybe i am just disappointed that i still didn't see Yennefer

Agent_Blue

Love the HD version. Again, Art direction is stellar. Unsurpassed, period.
Give a big fat bonus check to the art director. The guy is a Daito Ryu Aikijujitsu grandmaster of the visual arts.
Novigrad, the fiendish armour and, all in all, the painstaking attention to detail, all get a standing ovation from me.

My three very, very minor quibbles are:

1) As someone mentioned, blood splatters look too viscous. Thin out the blood and make it gush less profusely.

2) While the fur tech looks great, a furry (or is it woolly?) coat wouldn't flaunt like that. It showcased the tech. Now tone it down, please.

3) That NPC, who gets smashed down, his face looks rather sketchy. This might have been a deliberate choice, so not to put unwanted emphasis on him, but if it wasn't, then the contrast is striking, given the level of detail of the other models.

All in all, outstanding work.

UncleJoe said:
It is precisly stated in the books that when wild hunt appears in northern reals they do such as their spectral emanations not in flesh. Conversly, when they do appear in flesh they take are dercibed to look like a mid-heavy(partialy armoured if you don`tunderstand) cavalryman with a lances and bows.Having above in mind your arguments are completly irrelavant.

Unless, ofcourse, you pay attention to the Wild Hunt scenes in The Witcher 2. It very specifically states that the Hunt normally appears in spectral form, as the Aen Elle normally only send their wraiths across the border between worlds, but sometimes they cross physically when they have the need to do so. It's pretty clear that in this game they intend to invade Geralt's world in force, and that means coming through in person. It's a plot point, not a mistake. Here's one of many points where this is mentioned throughout the story in TW2 alone. I'm sure that they will reiterate it many times more in TW3 for the sake of new players and those who are slow on the uptake.

If we presume, that CDPR want to be serious about the game they create they need to come up with something better than LotR Saurons` armour copy. I am sorry but it is a FACT. Armour of the wild hunt looks VERY alike LoTR ones. Do you disagree?

This may be a shock to you, but the people who designed Sauron's armour for the LotR films did not in fact invent the spiky, evil black knight archetype. The design has been a staple of various RPGs since the 1980's and fantasy literature since the early 20th century. Its origins in turn come from centuries of folklore and mythology. If you imagine that someone could claim origin or ownership of the look, you are badly mistaken. I'm quite certain that the good folks at CDProjekt are aiming at the archetype, not any specific reference whatsoever.

UncleJoe said:
It is you who thinks in stereotypes. I just want the game to be as close to the Saga as possible. Whether you like it or not Saga is based on standard fantasy. I will write it again:read the books. It is precisly stated in the books that when wild hunt appears in northern reals they do such as their spectral emanations not in flesh. Conversly, when they do appear in flesh they are dercibed to look like a mid-heavy(partialy armoured if you don`tunderstand) cavalryman with a lances and bows.Having above in mind your arguments about concelment of identity are completly irrelavant.

How could you even imagine this jacked-up wild hunt guys from trailer be remotly close to what A.S. wrote? How could such a pile of metal ride a horse? String a bow? I repeat I just want the game to be as close to the Saga as possible. I do understand CDPR has their take on thing, they create art style suitable for their story but as a fan I am entilted to my own opinion.Moreso when I have the knowledge to give a proper argumentation.

BELOW YOU WILL FIND A VALID POINT PLS READ THIS!
If we presume, that CDPR want to be serious about the game they create they need to come up with something better than LotR Saurons` armour copy. I am sorry but it is a FACT. Armour of the wild hunt looks VERY alike LoTR ones. Do you disagree they`re strangely similar?
Joe, chill man, you needn't be disrespectful.

Anyway, you're right, the Wild Hunt in the books is described in a different way (I think they're wearing chainmail with red crests/clothing). However, there's a lot of things that CDPR have changed from the books, mostly how things/characters look, this wouldn't be the first instance. As long as it's nothing too major, I am personally ok with it.

EDIT: Found the description from the book:

"All the other elves had black hair and red jackets under their armour which was made of incredibly small steel rings that clung to the body like wool knitwear."

Lightice said:
This may be a shock to you, but the people who designed Sauron's armour for the LotR films did not in fact invent the spiky, evil black knight archetype. The design has been a staple of various RPGs since the 1980's and fantasy literature since the early 20th century. Its origins in turn come from centuries of folklore and mythology. If you imagine that someone could claim origin or ownership of the look, you are badly mistaken. I'm quite certain that the good folks at CDProjekt are aiming at the archetype, not any specific reference whatsoever.

First things first. You haven`t even adressed the point I was making. And now you try to put into my mouth something I never told. Typical. I ask again do you feel wild hunt`s armour to be similar to LoTr ones?

I meant that the whole concept of EVIL LOOKING ARMOUR is bad to begin with. It`s like watching `Murican films. You know how is the vilian just by looking at the the actors/paying attention to the music changes when a charater first appears on the screen.
It`s so shallow, too shallow for the TW world. This is elves, not forces of utter evil.Do you disagree?This is THE witcher, where shade of grey suppose to be the leading colour. It`s too filmy, too comic book, too childishto me.

Evles of Wither world(all of them) are merciless to be sure, yes, they do think of humanity as a lower race, true. BUT they are evles, nonetheless. Either in wither world or in world of the wild hunt they strive to do beautiful things. Becasue this is the lore books gave us.

Do you really believe they should look like hard-core etternal evil invaders form hell? Does men-at-arms of Kaedwen, Redania, Temeria look like an army of darkness?And they are no better than elves mind you, they pillage, rape and kill common folk for nothing. It is presumed they are even responsilbe for non-human purges. How it is they are shown as a bunch of normal man? Normal clothing and armour. Please have a decency to answer to any of those arguments.

Lightice said:
Unless, ofcourse, you pay attention to the Wild Hunt scenes in The Witcher 2. It very specifically states that the Hunt normally appears in spectral form, as the Aen Elle normally only send their wraiths across the border between worlds, but sometimes they cross physically when they have the need to do so. It's pretty clear that in this game they intend to invade Geralt's world in force, and that means coming through in person. It's a plot point, not a mistake. Here's one of many points where this is mentioned throughout the story in TW2 alone. I'm sure that they will reiterate it many times more in TW3 for the sake of new players and those who are slow on the uptake.

I should not adress this, becasue it`s all irrelevenat, you don`t even argue about the book arguments. I said it I just want it to be somewhat logical with the books. Vague TW2 story ,which actually does not mentions a possible invasion as you claim, is not a relevant point of comparison to me.
We don`t discuss here who gets to invade who`s world. It`s not the point. The point I made perfectly clear is this; I want the whole wild hunt thing to be logicaly believable. Making Aen Elle elves THE EVIL OF THE UNIVERSE is a mistake. Especially, when lore tells us that they did came in the end, took their elvish brothers with them and went away long after the Saga. An invasion? Please...

UncleJoe said:
Making Aen Elle elves THE EVIL OF THE UNIVERSE is a mistake. Especially, when lore tells us that they did came in the end, took their elvish brothers with them and went away long after the Saga.

Wait, when did that happen, I don't remember reading anything like that. As far as I remember, the whole Wild Hunt issue remained unresolved.

It was also strongly hinted that they
aim to destroy/enslave mankind.

It might be too early but next they could create a "tech-demo trailer" showing off the life in the Witcher world.
Walks us through one of the bigger cities, intreduce some new mechanics, side activites etc. Nothing "story" related.

Top Bottom