The Witcher Book Series

+
The Witcher Book Series

I was wondering if there was many fans of the witcher books playing Gwent right now and, if so, did you liked the featuring of some characters that come mainly from the books (like nenneke) and how would you like Gwent to feature even more characters, like Calanthe or Nivellen, for example?
I'm sorry if there's already a topic about this, I'm new and I searched "book" and nothing like this showed up so... here we are

DjarrajD;n7881550 said:
I'm sorry if there's already a topic about this, I'm new and I searched "book" and nothing like this showed up so...
There have been a few similar character suggestion topics, but I think it's been a while since we saw a new one, so, please, carry on.

Also, welcome aboard!

I haven't read any of the books, my only interaction with the Witcher universe are the games. That said, I've just got a hold of most of the books in ebook form and will plough my way through them shortly! It may take me some time before I can properly reply to this thread. :D

iam sure theres a lot of books series fans playing Gwent, and yes iam glad, that some of my favourite characters like Vilgefortz, Milwa or Toruviel made it to the game. .) i hope theres more to come tho, id like to see Bonhart, the Rats, Tissaia de Vries and many many more. really great series with exceptionaly written characters.

Masoterian;n7884210 said:
... id like to see Bonhart, the Rats, Tissaia de Vries and many many more. really great series with exceptionaly written characters.
As a die hard fan for the books and short stories: agreed 100%! Sapkowski's book series are containing such a huge ammount of incredible interesting characters, monster, fiends & foes. Even his Witcher and Temeria-based short stories are stuffed with interesting beings.

I am currently reading the books for the first time, I am reading The Blood of Elves right now.
It is really great to see characters from the books in Gwent, and also I recognize some quotes here and there, in the descriptions of some of the cards.
Evem when playing Gwent in Witcher 3, it was obvious to me that I will find out a lot more for some of the cards. I mean that some characters are present only as Gwent cards in Witcher 3 and nothing more. Which is fine, you can't include them all in one game.

I read the books maybe 12+ years ago (in the German translation) and playing Gwent gave me the intense desire to re-read them, so that's on the list. :)

There are a few references specifically to the original Witcher shorts such as (Draig Bon-Dhu, Pavetta, Villentretenmerth) which I appreciate, but there a few left out ;)

Renfri, perhaps summoning friendly bandits on random rows (a la Commando Neophyte)
Adda, obviously some sort of Striga transformation mechanic
Istredd, not sure what effect but the flavor text having something to do with using his sword rather than magic, as it would be unfair

Also, a bunch of W1 characters were neglected, from a lot of things actually, not just Gwent:

Jaques de Aldersberg, Lady of the Lake, Salamandra goons, Professor, Azar Javed, Siegfried, all of them could make for some really cool cards.

I love the books and considered making a list of every character for possible cards and to keep track of lore connecting them.

I'd like to see Vysygota of Corvo as card. Also multiple mages from Battle of Sodden and Thanned Coup , like for example young soreceress with illusion face or Terranova (we deserve illusion based effects and Fringilla(mistress of illusions in books) became Jutta with sorecerer tag. Also Orlotan (elder mage from Season of Storms) could have interesting ability as he was known for his monster creation spells and invention of immortality. Also Falka (most likely NR or neutral) and Lara Dorren (either Sciotael or Monsters (im not sure which kind of elf she was). Also Jarre would be great choice for NR. Also Jan Bekker would be interesting (i think he should be somewhat connected to waether removation as he is best known from saving people from great storm iirc). and last but not least Angouleme- without her Geralt's hanse would never be complete.

I've just started. My local chain bookstore only had Blood of Elves and Time of Contempt, so I purchased those, and got an audio book of The Last Wish. I'm almost done (it's a lot slower hearing it narrated than my pace of reading) and it's awesome to make connections like seeing young Crach an Craite, King Bran, Pavetta (and recognizing her ashen grey hair from somewhere else), Foltest, Toruviel, and even just random stuff like dyvvel scheiss. Gonna get on to Sword of Destiny soon.

Mivo;n7891180 said:
I read the books maybe 12+ years ago (in the German translation) and playing Gwent gave me the intense desire to re-read them, so that's on the list. :)

I felt the same when I saw the Vilgeforz card phrase, so I'm re-reading the series, ending The Last Wish right now, that's why popped up on my mind the idea to start this thread, I recognized a lot of opportunities to make new nice cards.

Also, I really liked the ideas of you guys that replied, The Rats (as said by Masoterian) being one of my favourites, I think they would be very unique and consistent cards when combined in the field

The Rats could be interesting as cards! Something revolving around their thievery could be fun to play with in a deck. One of the things that I've liked as a tie more between the books and the Witcher 3 game and Gwent is the way the faction special abilities seem to be in keeping with the groups in the books:

Skellige: Battle-ready and resilient people, who tend to somehow gain strength as fights go on == faction ability of gaining base strength as rounds go on.
Monsters: Where there's one, there are likely more, and they like to linger despite adversity in an area == keeping a card at the end of the round.
Scoia'tael: Obviously, the card feature of ambushes, but in the books and the games, they were known for turning the tide with offensive positions and feigning defensive positions when they were really on the offensive == choosing who gets to go first.
Northern Realms: Value placed on monetary things like trade and commerce == point buff for gold cards.
Nilfgaard: Emphasis on the spying, of course, but the changing of players in any given situation and not knowing exactly what's going on == ability to change cards each round if desired.

I would love to see Villentretenmerth reworked to be closer to the overall character in the book. That was probably my favourite 'side-story' in the books. Not quite sure how they'd work it outside of a transformation of sorts, or even add a card that is more in keeping with the 'can assume any shape' aspect of the character rather than his power in the books as a very strong fighter. The current version makes sense in terms of Borch, Three Jackdaws revealing himself to be a Golden Dragon and laying waste in his story, but it would be neat to see another, probably gold card, that could assume the points and properties of any other card on the board. There are ways to counteract that with the same cards you'd use to counteract the current incarnation. That's a thought to bridging the character and the game though. A more powerful version of Dudu, which is fitting, since Golden Dragon.

I am on the third book so i haven't got to experience all the characters that i am not familiar with.

I would love to see Essi Daven as a future character. Even though she didnt have such a huge role i really liked the character development between her and Dandelion. I know the comparison has been made between Essi and Priscilla but i just feel they are too different.

If they decide to make Dandelion card maybe they could give it a similar effect of summoning Essi like the Baron or Yennifer.

Bl00dGeist;n7930060 said:
I would love to see Essi Daven as a future character. Even though she didnt have such a huge role i really liked the character development between her and Dandelion. I know the comparison has been made between Essi and Priscilla but i just feel they are too different.

Considering Essi was more of a daughter-figure to Dandelion and had a brief affair with Geralt while Priscilla was more of the "woman who could make Dandelion settle down", I definitely agree that they are not really comparable outside the closeness shared between them.

daemhan;n7929840 said:
The Rats could be interesting as cards! Something revolving around their thievery could be fun to play with in a deck. One of the things that I've liked as a tie more between the books and the Witcher 3 game and Gwent is the way the faction special abilities seem to be in keeping with the groups in the books:

Skellige: Battle-ready and resilient people, who tend to somehow gain strength as fights go on == faction ability of gaining base strength as rounds go on.
Monsters: Where there's one, there are likely more, and they like to linger despite adversity in an area == keeping a card at the end of the round.
Scoia'tael: Obviously, the card feature of ambushes, but in the books and the games, they were known for turning the tide with offensive positions and feigning defensive positions when they were really on the offensive == choosing who gets to go first.
Northern Realms: Value placed on monetary things like trade and commerce == point buff for gold cards.
Nilfgaard: Emphasis on the spying, of course, but the changing of players in any given situation and not knowing exactly what's going on == ability to change cards each round if desired.

I would love to see Villentretenmerth reworked to be closer to the overall character in the book. That was probably my favourite 'side-story' in the books. Not quite sure how they'd work it outside of a transformation of sorts, or even add a card that is more in keeping with the 'can assume any shape' aspect of the character rather than his power in the books as a very strong fighter. The current version makes sense in terms of Borch, Three Jackdaws revealing himself to be a Golden Dragon and laying waste in his story, but it would be neat to see another, probably gold card, that could assume the points and properties of any other card on the board. There are ways to counteract that with the same cards you'd use to counteract the current incarnation. That's a thought to bridging the character and the game though. A more powerful version of Dudu, which is fitting, since Golden Dragon.

Dude, I'd love to see Villentretenmerth reworked too, even though I appreciate the effort to have him in the game and to have him to be a balanced card after all (which is very important and somewhat hard to acomplish). Maybe he would work better in the Nilfgaard game style too with that shape-changing characteristic.

I have read all the Witcher novels. All the officially translated ones available, and the fan translated for the last two books.
Personally, I want many characters to be included: Bonhart, Angoulême, the Rats, Essi Daven,Mosaic, Tea & Vea and Queen Meve.

DjarrajD;n7969590 said:
Dude, I'd love to see Villentretenmerth reworked too, even though I appreciate the effort to have him in the game and to have him to be a balanced card after all (which is very important and somewhat hard to acomplish). Maybe he would work better in the Nilfgaard game style too with that shape-changing characteristic.

Maybe something less powerful in the Nilfgaard deck than the neutral card, but yeah. Something that plays on the character's ability to be literally anything he wants.

Top Bottom