The Witcher books (NO SPOILERS)

+
The Books - Which ones and what order?

So I've decided I to start reading all the books. When I finished Witcher 1 & 2 the only books I could find translated in English were Blood of Elves and The Last Wish. A few more books got translated recently but I couldn't find The Swallow's Tower and The Lady of the Lake yet. Season of Storms and the short stories also confuse me in terms of timeline. ><

I suppose I have 2 short questions:

1. In what order should I be reading all these books/short stories etc?
2. Are they all translated somewhere or am I out of luck?

There are 8 books in total, and this is the order you should read them in. You can get fan translations for the books that aren't officially translated here on this forum.
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16494-Our-Community-Fan-Translations

1. The Last Wish
2. The Sword of Destiny
3. Blood of Elves
4. Time of Contempt
5. Baptism of Fire
6. The Swallow's Tower (Official translation unavailable, fan translation available)
7. The Lady of the Lake (Official translation unavailable, fan translation available)
8. Season of Storms (Official translation unavailable, fan translation in progress)

As far as i know Season of Storms is between The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny, but you could consider it as a stand-alone book.

If you can speak another language, you can also get all books in german, spanish, french and and and, just the official english version is still unfinished after years.

As far as i know Season of Storms is between The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny, but you could consider it as a stand-alone book.

If you can speak another language, you can also get all books in german, spanish, french and and and, just the official english version is still unfinished after years.

From what i heard, Season of Storms has spoilers for the series, so it's best read as the last book, even though it takes place during The Last Wish.

oh okay 2 books are currently not translated yet ? In Germany we have 7 books

oh i´m sorry we have 8 books already there came a new one in April 2015 but this one is not related to the ciri story as far as i know.

We have even 9 in german.

The short stories:
Der letzte Wunsch (The Last Wish)
Das Schwert der Vorsehung (Sword of Destiny)

The saga:
Das Erbe der Elfen (Blood of Elves)
Die Zeit der Verachtung (Times of Contempt)
Feuertaufe (Baptism of Fire)
Der Schwalbenturm (The Swallowtower)
Die Dame vom See (The Lady of the Lake)

2 non-canon stories (one about Geralt's mother and one about a wedding by Geralt & Yennefer) in
Etwas endet, etwas beginnt (Something ends, something begins)
the other short-stories in this book belong to the Hussite Trilogy, which is also available in german.

and now the standalone book
Zeit des Sturms (Season of Storm)

and i hope it won't be the last one, mister Sapkowski., pretty please :)

From what i heard, Season of Storms has spoilers for the series, so it's best read as the last book, even though it takes place during The Last Wish.

You might be right, i meant it rather chronical. Playing Witcher 3 kept me from reading the last 50 pages now and reading in the train/bus is sometimes not so good, almost missed my stop 3 times now...

You are right, i haven't had read the epilogue until now, it was just 20 pages or something like that, but in that epilogue the book jumps into the future with Nimue. So yes, it has one spoiler for the end of the book series, but if you played the games, you already know it anyway.

The english speakers among us have to wait anyway a long time before they can get Storm of Reasons and by then they have all the others in english available.

We have even 9 in german.

The short stories:
Der letzte Wunsch (The Last Wish)
Das Schwert der Vorsehung (Sword of Destiny)

The saga:
Das Erbe der Elfen (Blood of Elves)
Die Zeit der Verachtung (Times of Contempt)
Feuertaufe (Baptism of Fire)
Der Schwalbenturm (The Swallowtower)
Die Dame vom See (The Lady of the Lake)

2 non-canon stories (one about Geralt's mother and one about a wedding by Geralt & Yennefer) in
Etwas endet, etwas beginnt (Something ends, something begins)
the other short-stories in this book belong to the Hussite Trilogy, which is also available in german.

and now the standalone book
Zeit des Sturms (Season of Storm)

and i hope it won't be the last one, mister Sapkowski., pretty please :)

Did not knew about the book with the non-canon stories, thanks for the info.

You might be right, i meant it rather chronical. Playing Witcher 3 kept me from reading the last 50 pages now and reading in the train/bus is sometimes not so good, almost missed my stop 3 times now...

hahaha happens to all at some point :p

these are the books I read in the order I read them and I'm so glad I did it this way, it really made the Sword of Destiny so much more beautiful knowing all about Ciri growing up before knowing how Geralt and her found each other
Blood Of Elves, Time Of Contempt, Baptism Of Fire, The Last Wish, Sword Of Destiny. I liked how after reading the long story reading the shorts filled in allot of backstory. although I wish I could of finished the 5 book story before I read the short story books, but they're not in english yet I guess

Found the latest cover art for Baptism of Fire aka 'De vuurdoop' in Dutch.

This is the cover art of the dutch book I find this one not so pretty in all honesty.

Attachments

• 9200000040540767.jpg
    9200000040540767.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 95
English books question...spoilers

Im reading the novels and im loving them and the calls backs in the game. It truly feels like they nailed it for the game. But i just got into the most recent english release sword of destiny. Before that geralt was searching for ciri with others , whos currently with the rats, but this suddenly seems to break off that story and is set before. Have i missed a book? Im pretty sure i havent but not sure

The Sword of Destiny is a collection of short stories set after those in The Last Wish but before Blood of Elves.

The internal chronology is:

The Last Wish
Season of Storms
Sword of Destiny
Blood of Elves
Time of Contempt
Baptism of Fire
Tower of the Swallow
Lady of the Lake

There are fan translations of Tower of the Swallow and Lady of the Lake and a rough partial translation of Season of Storms.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16494-Our-Community-Fan-Translations

Last edited:
Not game related but I wanna cry.

I'm half way through reading Baptism Of Fire, the third book in the series and I'm gutted. The next two books, Tower Of Swallow's and The Lady Of The Lake will not be published in English until 19th May 2016 and 18th May 2017 respectively.

I've really fell in love with this world and characters, Sapkowski is amazing. Anyone else feel my pain lol?

I feel your pain. I've been waiting for the official translations, but people tell me that the unofficial translations found fairly easily online are decent.

I'm half way through reading Baptism Of Fire, the third book in the series and I'm gutted. The next two books, Tower Of Swallow's and The Lady Of The Lake will not be published in English until 19th May 2016 and 18th May 2017 respectively.

I've really fell in love with this world and characters, Sapkowski is amazing. Anyone else feel my pain lol?

Im exactly same place as you, no idea why its taking so long

Top Bottom