The Witcher books (NO SPOILERS)

+
I got a mail saying Baptism of Fire is coming out next week. This is the cover art and I think it is from the Spanish edition.

I don't like how they promote The Witcher video game in it. I mean, of course they are related but at the same time they are not. It's like you write a book and someone uses it to make something else and your book get's published saying: This book inspired this thing here which is really popular. It's kind of a downer for the author.

Last edited:
For the Dutch people among us who prefer reading books in Dutch, though I estimate there are not many of us: Dutch publisher: 'Dromen & Demonen' is releasing The Last Wish and The Sword of Destiny in March. Both books combined in one book of 800 pages. :)

Of course the titles are called: 'De Laatste Wens' & 'Het Zwaard der Voorzienigheid'

And one last thing. The third book; Het bloed van Elven is coming out in may. :)

Last edited:
It's kind of absurd that the Sword of Destiny is translated to Dutch and a whole lot of other languages, but not English. You'd think that'd be the first language to translate it to.

If it's sure the Sword of Destiny won't be translated to English anymore, i'll sell my other English Witcher books, and buy all the Dutch ones.

Guys, why when I go to Amazon to order the English hard copy of the books, I review the sample I get Yennefer as a cover or those old covers. :/ I WANT the ones that have Geral from Witcher 2 as their cover. I checked US Amazon and it's the same. :(

I got a mail saying Baptism of Fire is coming out next week. This is the cover art and I think it is from the Spanish edition.
What? Already? I thought i was done bying books for the next three months at least... Oh, well.

I don't like how they promote The Witcher video game in it. I mean, of course they are related but at the same time they are not. It's like you write a book and someone uses it to make something else and your book get's published saying: This book inspired this thing here which is really popular. It's kind of a downer for the author.
I don't like it either. But, if this is the way to make Andrzej Sapkowski a well-known author in western Europe, then it's welcome.

*Let us have a moment of silence for The Sword of Destiny*

Have any English readers compared the UK and US versions of the books? If so, is there any real difference other than spelling? Also, they're translated by different people too aren't they? So would one be considered a better translation than the other? I've been trying to Google an answer for this question for a while without much success so I figured I'd just ask the question myself.

Sorry if this seems pointless. Just want the best experience possible when reading them.

Also, they're translated by different people too aren't they?

If you want to know who translated them, an easy way is to go to the Amazon UK and US sites and look at the copyright page of a book on both sites. But I already did that, and it's the same translator in both markets. You might be thinking of the fact that Last Wish and Blood of Elves were translated by Danusia Stok, whereas Time of Contempt and Baptism Of Fire were translated by David French. Or maybe that's what you meant in the first place, and I just misread you.

You might be thinking of the fact that Last Wish and Blood of Elves were translated by Danusia Stok, whereas Time of Contempt and Baptism Of Fire were translated by David French. Or maybe that's what you meant in the first place, and I just misread you.

Hmm. I think you're right. I was thinking since it was two different publishing companies that there would be two different translations. I was also confused by Amazon which shows the US cover and when you click on it to preview it shows the UK version inside.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I decided to go with the US versions as they're a little cheaper for me to get.

I've recived a feedback from Orion Publishing Group:
"Thank you for your email. I have checked and we have a Publication date of 9th June 2016 for the 'Sword of Destiny'.
Kind Regards
Carolina Barrass | Customer Services Advisor "

Where to buy the books?

I've been wanting to buy the Witcher books in the original Polish, but considering I am in the US, I've been having trouble finding them. Anybody know of a good website from which I could order the Witcher books?

How do you feel about getting them in e-book/PDF format? If you're ok with that you can probably get them off amazon.

Or are you after physical copies?

I read all French books in PDF personally and it was pretty cool. It was the first time I’d read a book on my computer. I also changed the font with one I like.

Actually, e-books/pdf format might be best, considering I can then read it anywhere and I don't have to worry about the prices of having the books imported. But I would like the Polish edition though, and I haven't had luck in finding that (I was also sort of hoping to find the books cost less than $20 - college is expensive)

Last edited:
Top Bottom