The Witcher books (NO SPOILERS)

+
Translation take time. That, and many other factors come into play.

Wasn't until, you guessed it, CDPR with the first game having the series become somewhat of an interest to English readers. They would have gotten translated either way, but you can see how much them both benefit.

---------- Updated at 08:18 AM ----------

I don't do digital books, prefer physical editions, especially hardcover. Makes no sense for me to read a book digitally, on a tablet, or computer, or whatever.

Softcover of all known translated works sell for under $50 CDN. Hardcover go $200+ which is absolutely a joke.

oh i´m sorry we have 8 books already there came a new one in April 2015 but this one is not related to the ciri story as far as i know.

So any of you guys who have read the books, are they a good read? Do they go into good detail including geralt and his story with the creatures etc? Im interested in the lore including all the stuff not included in the games.

Not sure I have heard a decent number of people say they enjoy them. I have been considering picking them up as well while I wait for a patch.

yeah the problem with expensive books like that, you dont want to actually read them because you are to afraid of damaging them.

The novels are, technically speaking, major success for Fantasy fans. Very well written, deep, rich, very good read all-in-all.

I sampled a bit and I'm not one to read books, in all honestly. Only ever owned three in my entire life, and one of them happens to be The Gospel of Filth: A Bible of Decadence & Darkness (Mainly for my passion in all things Metal related, not exactly for the band/vocalist on the cover)

I plan to own every single book, and comic, and anything Witcher related. However I need to find better sources cause no way in fucking HELL am I paying $500 for The Last Wish HARDCOVER.

The novels are, technically speaking, major success for Fantasy fans. Very well written, deep, rich, very good read all-in-all.

I sampled a bit and I'm not one to read books, in all honestly. Only ever owned three in my entire life, and one of them happens to be The Gospel of Filth: A Bible of Decadence & Darkness (Mainly for my passion in all things Metal related, not exactly for the band/vocalist on the cover)

I plan to own every single book, and comic, and anything Witcher related. However I need to find better sources cause no way in fucking HELL am I paying $500 for The Last Wish HARDCOVER.

I'm kind of like that i'm not the biggest reader i only ever buy books for things i want to read that i am really interested in like the original fairy tails and sherlock holmes. I only bought them in hardcover i prefer it :( Maybe i'll get them in hardcover some day.

English speakers somewhat get the shaft with the books since the (still untranslated?) two short story books should IMO be what you start with before you get into the Ciri cycle. For the poster asking about the monsterlore: dryads, dragons, nekker and merfolk all get at least some spotlight if I recall right.

Paperback and mass market wear too damn easily, and are too flimsy, and damage easier as well. Hardcover's are just pure quality, and overall have better covers in general ^_^

But not for $500. Sorry, no matter how good the books are. Oh, I mention one of them goes for $1200?

I've only read The Last Wish and Blood of Elves as the english translations took a long time after those first two. I eagerly read The Last Wish after playing the first game as well as immediately picking up Blood of Elves when it released. Unfortunately, there were some publishing issues or whatnot resulting in a big time gap for the next book. Thus I never really got back into the books even when the Witcher 2 released. I did enjoy them however and plan to reread them along with the more recently released ones. The Witcher 3 has been so engrossing that I think I'm ready to dive back into the novels.

English speakers somewhat get the shaft with the books since the (still untranslated?) two short story books should IMO be what you start with before you get into the Ciri cycle. For the poster asking about the monsterlore: dryads, dragons, nekker and merfolk all get at least some spotlight if I recall right.

Which two short story book are those will i miss alot by not being able to read them?

Which two short story book are those will i miss alot by not being able to read them?
I believe he's referring to The Sword of Destiny, which is a short story compilation that should be read after The Last Wish. For some reason they decided to publish Blood of Elves after The Last Wish instead of The Sword of Destiny. However, The Sword of Destiny was the most recently published book and just came out along with the Witcher 3. So now we can read the series in english the way it was meant to be.

I believe he's referring to The Sword of Destiny, which is a short story compilation that should be read after The Last Wish. For some reason they decided to publish Blood of Elves after The Last Wish instead of The Sword of Destiny. However, The Sword of Destiny was the most recently published book that just came out along with the Witcher 3. So now we can read the series in english the way it was meant to be.

Ah right at least i'll have the 5 books availavble now to read in order. Wil have to wait for the others or learn to speak another language instead haha

I'd love to know where one could obtain Hardcover copies of the Witcher series, and not for over $500 CDN.

I've spent weeks trying to find a book store that could possibly obtain a few for me, but they either have never heard of The Witcher, and the book titles, or they have, but can in no way at all obtain them.

Amazon can go off itself. Not paying $1100 for a damn book.

Have any of you read both the original Polish versions of the books and the English translations?

I'm interested to know how the English translations compare to Sapkowski's original Polish literature. Do we miss much of what Sapkowski conveys in the original literature? I hope not, however, I have enjoyed the translations a lot so far.

For those who don't know, and if it hasn't already been said, you can download fan translations of the last two books in the Witcher saga ("The Tower of Swallows" and "Lady of the Lake"). I'm currently reading the ToS and the translation is adequate enough for me to easily understand what I'm reading. I've already bought and read all the other books except for ToS, LotL and "Season of Storms."

Top Bottom