The Witcher books (NO SPOILERS)

+
I'm half way through reading Baptism Of Fire, the third book in the series and I'm gutted. The next two books, Tower Of Swallow's and The Lady Of The Lake will not be published in English until 19th May 2016 and 18th May 2017 respectively.

I've really fell in love with this world and characters, Sapkowski is amazing. Anyone else feel my pain lol?

I have advance copies in English. They're awesome, of course. SOOO much better than the fan translations.

I tried purchasing them and I hate the thought of not paying for the pleasure of reading them, I mean as far as I'm aware they were finished in 1997 and 1999, what the hell are the publishers thinking? The books aren't that long, Amazon lists them at 400 pages, that equates to a few pages a day for translation which is strange.

Thanks you guys for pointing me in the direction of the fan translations, I'll have to read them and wait for the official ones to be released. Sapkowski's publishers are doing the man an injustice as far as I'm concerned.

I have advance copies in English. They're awesome, of course. SOOO much better than the fan translations.

I think youre selling the fan translations short. They were extremely well done considering they were not translated (at least the last couple) by Poles.
Its great to have the books in english, I've bought em all, but the work these guys did to translate was fantastic.

Dont wait for books to come out.

I tried purchasing them and I hate the thought of not paying for the pleasure of reading them, I mean as far as I'm aware they were finished in 1997 and 1999, what the hell are the publishers thinking? The books aren't that long, Amazon lists them at 400 pages, that equates to a few pages a day for translation which is strange.

Thanks you guys for pointing me in the direction of the fan translations, I'll have to read them and wait for the official ones to be released. Sapkowski's publishers are doing the man an injustice as far as I'm concerned.

Being in the publishing industry, and taking what I know of buying editors, I'm assuming they were waiting for a "sure thing". While Sapkowski is a complete rock star in Poland, he's relatively unknown here in the states and in most of Europe. Now, with the release of Witcher 3 - biggest for CDPR - they're thinking they can finally sell some books.

---------- Updated at 10:18 AM ----------

I think youre selling the fan translations short. They were extremely well done considering they were not translated (at least the last couple) by Poles.
Its great to have the books in english, I've bought em all, but the work these guys did to translate was fantastic.

Dont wait for books to come out.

Oh no. Not selling them short AT ALL. That's a whole lot of hard work. As a sort of project, a friend of mine, myself, and his Polish grandfather translated one ourselves and it was hard. Took months, since we were learning the language at the same time, and we didn't even come close to being as good as the fan translations online. But believe me, these official English language versions are fantastic.

After my first playthrough with Witcher 3 i got me the 5 books as audio books. Maybe thats an alternative for you. I got them in german, so i am pretty sure they are available in english as well.

After my first playthrough with Witcher 3 i got me the 5 books as audio books. Maybe thats an alternative for you. I got them in german, so i am pretty sure they are available in english as well.

Yep, there are audiobooks available on Amazon up until Baptism of Fire if I'm not mistaken.

I'm half way through reading Baptism Of Fire, the third book in the series and I'm gutted. The next two books, Tower Of Swallow's and The Lady Of The Lake will not be published in English until 19th May 2016 and 18th May 2017 respectively.

I've really fell in love with this world and characters, Sapkowski is amazing. Anyone else feel my pain lol?

I read about that in a wiki and I found out that Arthur of Camelot is somehow related to Ciri. That also brings me to a conclusion why Excalibur is an easter egg in The Witcher 3 game :)

Season of Storms - book translations

Does anyone know if Season of Storms will be officially translated to english in the future ?
I know that the last 2 novels are beeing translated in next 2 years, but was wondering about Season of Storms.
I know there are fun translations, but i would like to have the original translations one day :) , as they are abit more authentic.

Im on the last book of the saga, Not sure if the official is better then the fan work. But my gripe with it is that there were a bit too many grammar mistakes, like "he" instead of "her", "you" instead of "your" and small things like that, but other than that i enjoyed the fan translated ones, but again i have not read the official ones of the same books so dont know if they're better. But in general i didnt feel that anything was missing or not quite well translated at all.

Hi, all...

can someone tell me is there a short story about Geralt's training in Kaer Morhen as a kid, before he officialy became a witcher? It seems to me I've read something about it, or at least something similar...tough to say with my kind of memory. When I read, I devour books and how time passes I forget most of them, except some major things which happened.
Anyhow, I'm currently devouring fan translation (bravo to translators!) of Tower of Swallow, but would like to have that training story in my collection, also, for the future reading.
Thanks and sorry for my English.

Hi!

No, there is no (short) story that matches your description. You have Ciri's training in "Blood of Elves", that's all. Perhaps he is referring to his time as a young witcher, but there are no details. Maybe you just mixed all informations up given through the books and games and now you think it must have been a short story? ^^

Haha, everything's possible. I just can't be bored, I can read the same books and watch the same movies and still enjoy them.

Thx for your answer!

Hey, can i find the english fan translation of Season of Storms anywhere, if its even finished?

I have one, not sure where i got it from. but the translation is bad. i didn't have a problem with the other fan translated books. but this one doesnt have the/a/an before the words for some reason. I appreciate the fact that its free, and certainly faster than waiting for the official translation, but this is making reading really hard. For example:

"Further from sea, on left bank.." should be "Further from the sea, on the left bank" and things like that. its all over so its hard to ignore it.

asheral82 has been making a good translation (Polish to English). From what little I have read, it does not have grammatical flaws like the missing articles that so disturb you.

Any links?

And i got Season of Storms from here, it was made by spektroskopista. He doesnt use articles at all for some reason even in his posts here.

Any links?

And i got Season of Storms from here, it was made by spektroskopista. He doesnt use articles at all for some reason even in his posts here.

Isn't Season of Storms officially translated into English already? Not sure but in UK you can buy the book without any problem (not sure how it is in US)

Top Bottom