The Witcher books (NO SPOILERS)

+
It looks like a mixture of different styles. Where's the cohesion?

Are you talking about this particular set of covers? I don't know, but it doesn't look that different to me..

And why is Jennifer in most covers so "ugly" (personal taste)?

Well, I guess it does come down to individual taste, but I personally don't think Yennefer should be depicted as exceedingly beautiful, 'with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair' :). I mean, it's not exactly a fairy tale so I don't think it would work. But it's just my personal opinion

Yes it is. But AS in interviews sometimes use term Pentateuch about Ciri. He doesn't care about different characters.

I suppose he simply refers to "the pentalogy", excluding the short stories (heresy!). But I wouldn't say he neglects the other characters, it's just his famous "the plot", "the plot", "the plot"...

Btw, the "pentateuch"... I wouldn't expect anything less from Sapkowski than to consider his work as the Bible :D

ehh Internet is so full of people who like stories about Gerald and Jennifer

Sorry typo:
*Yennefer

;)

---------- Updated at 06:55 AM ----------

Are you talking about this particular set of covers? I don't know, but it doesn't look that different to me..
Yes, the top row looks similar with regard to style, but cover 6,7 and 8 kind of break a pattern.

Well, I guess it does come down to individual taste, but I personally don't think Yennefer should be depicted as exceedingly beautiful, 'with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair' :). I mean, it's not exactly a fairy tale so I don't think it would work. But it's just my personal opinion

She wasn't born beautiful (hunchback), but due to her magic and potions she eventually became exceedingly beautiful and very attractive. I also have the impression she became more beautiful in Geralt's eyes, because her deficiencies are not mentioned again that explicitly later on. Of course lots of years pass between their first encounter and say for instance the events on Aretuza. And in Ciri's eyes, Yennefer is also very beautiful. Could be some "husband"-"wife" and "daughter"-"mother" complex? But I do not have the impression that other characters in the Witcher universe consider the opposite.

Last edited:
She wasn't.......

You might want to put spoiler tags around that ;)

I can't really go into details here because of the potential spoilers, but if you want you can mention or quote me in some other thread with spoilers and we can discuss there. But I'll try - what I wanted to say is that the books are somewhat dark and the atmosphere is not very fairy tale-like, so I suppose that's why I'm OK with grimmer visual representations of the characters. I mean it's not like Geralt is that handsome on the covers either :)

I suppose it pretty much depends on the artistic expression and subjective taste, but I personally don't find Yennefer unpleasing to the eye :)

Btw, the "pentateuch"... I wouldn't expect anything less from Sapkowski than to consider his work as the Bible

No, it's lost in translation - my fault maybe. Pentateuch in Poland is not reserved only to the Bible, it's just something that has 5 parts. When we speak abat This Pentateuch we usually just say Tora. So no, this time he wasn't talkin about his work as a Bible (but I wouldn't be surprised If he thought so). Sorry for misunderstanding.

his famous "the plot", "the plot", "the plot"...

This famus "the plot" irritates me in his interviews sometimes. I mean...plot itself isn't so spectacular in Witcher (child of destiny, war, monster killer, sorceresses) but it's characters and dialogs what makes Witcher so special

Hey @matt77hias I'll put something extra here and I will try to be as vague as possible because somebody might open it, but any potential further conversation should be continued in some other thread with spoilers in my opinion.

I don't know exactly what you had in mind when you said "ugly"? If that was literal, then it probably comes down to individual artistic representation and subjective taste. I really can't comment on that.
But if you meant "ugly" as related to her facial expression, then perhaps it has something to do with the general mood of the events that take place throughout the books. That's especially true for Sword of Destiny (if that's the cover we're talking about). While it is probably my favourite book in the series, the events that occur there between Geralt and Yennefer are not especially enjoyable and are particularly sad. I personally have never imagined Yennefer as some joyful lassie with a smile on her face. She is beautiful of course, but I am not referring to that kind of beauty. But then again, maybe the people who made the covers haven't even considered this - I really don't know.
Perhaps she could have been portrayed better but I personally never saw her as ugly. That's how I see it, but I've never really thought about the covers much. Maybe some other forum member has a better idea

This famus "the plot" irritates me in his interviews sometimes. I mean...plot itself isn't so spectacular in Witcher (child of destiny, war, monster killer, sorceresses) but it's characters and dialogs what makes Witcher so special

His famous "the plot" is a load of crap if you ask me. Of course the plot is important, but what makes these series special is characters' inner contemplation and relationship between them. Yeah, he was certainly only thinking about the plot while writing those love scenes

Actually the Swallow's Tower has just been released in English a few days ago and is already available as an audiobook as well... read by Peter Kinny like the ones before.

I suppose he simply refers to "the pentalogy", excluding the short stories (heresy!). But I wouldn't say he neglects the other characters, it's just his famous "the plot", "the plot", "the plot"...

Btw, the "pentateuch"... I wouldn't expect anything less from Sapkowski than to consider his work as the Bible

Lol I agree. But I'vel always understood that as these characters are like that or this happens because... the plot is what matters. That the books i mainly built aboult the plot, the the characters come after. I've had that impression honestly, but as well I noticed that characters relationship and development is what really matters sometimes.

Lol I agree. But I'vel always understood that as these characters are like that or this happens because... the plot is what matters. That the books i mainly built aboult the plot, the the characters come after. I've had that impression honestly, but as well I noticed that characters relationship and development is what really matters sometimes.

Depends on how you look at it, but they are inseparable in my opinion. In truth, they are mutually reinforcing. Plot represents the structure and it frames the story. But there is no plot nor the story without the characters. The characters’ decisions and actions are the “stuff” of the story. If you don’t have well-developed characters then you don’t have action, you may merely have activity. Also, readers relate to the story through the characters for the most part. So, on the whole, for a good story you cannot neglect either of them.

Plenty of writers like to make claims on which one comes first or which one is more significant and there is a lot of discussion about this. However, if you ask me, all of it is essentially "the chicken or the egg dilemma".

While his saying that the plot is “most important” is totally valid as his personal opinion, I think people asking him a lot of silly questions has something to do with that as well. Since many people nowadays after playing the games are constantly asking him what character he likes better/most, he has to respond "diplomatically" - The plot demanded for such characters. if you want to know more, read the books. Now leave me alone. So, in my opinion, it is a valid statement, of course, but certainly not the whole story.

Since many people nowadays after playing the games are constantly asking him what character he likes better/most, he has to respond "diplomatically" - The plot demanded for such characters. if you want to know more, read the books. Now leave me alone. So, in my opinion, it is a valid statement, of course, but certainly not the whole story.

Yeah, I think his answer "only plot matters" is connected with thousands questions "who is your favourite character?" or "how much your characters represents you?" etc. But we take statement that characters are only to push the plot forward, then AS should throw Baptism of fire away into the rubbish. How much plot he "pushed" in this book? For me it was all about introducing new characters and some character development of old ones. If someone picked Tower of swallow after Time of contempt would be he completely lost in what's going on? No. He would be lost lost in terms of who are these guys.

There are some previews of the upcoming Spanish Exclusive covers for:

The Tower of The Swallow:

and Lady of The Lake

:)

Last edited:
My housemate has the Russian edition of the Saga:

Not my favourite book cover ever (It's a hideous composition) but some of the images around the centre are nice.

I think our English one's are the same as the Spanish, can't say I like the US versions :

The Czech one's look nice also.

Last edited:
Thanks @Laux-Antille - Russians have really a lot of Witcher book editions

They have GERALT edition - a volume with The Last Wish, Sword of Destiny, Blood of Elves and Time of Contempt books

this volum also has some illustrations - for now I have only these scans but there are many many more

CIRI edition contains:
Baptism of Fire
The Tower of The Swallow
Lady of The Lake
A Road With No Return
Something Ends, Something Begins
Bestiary

and how did you like them overall?

I liked very much :) It was quite fresh view compared to other fantasy books that I have been reading. It was also fun to compare games with books. I can definitely recommend these books to everyone. Now I just have to wait that last book to be translated :(

My next mission is to get my boyfriend to read those!

Top Bottom