The Witcher books (NO SPOILERS)

+
wtf? it should start with Voice of Reason I but instead it has random conversation with Nivellen as very first page of the book...

Orbit as publisher really failed with the whole Witcher saga...I've never seen anything like this.

Maybe Orbit people decided to set short stories chronologically so their readers wouldn't get lost (here's a place for usual joke about average American intelligence but I don't want to enhance any national stereotypes ;))

Last edited:
It might be absurd but I HAD to explain many times how the chronological order of The Last Wish worked.

ehhh... It's probably matter of taste, but I really like books and movies (e.g. Memento by Nolan) that demand a little bit more attention from audience because of specific narration. I don't get it when people complain about Tower of Swallow structure, because imao it's best Sapko work when it comes to storytelling.

ehhh... It's probably matter of taste, but I really like books and movies (e.g. Memento by Nolan) that demand a little bit more attention from audience because of specific narration. I don't get it when people complain about Tower of Swallow structure, because imao it's best Sapko work when it comes to storytelling.
That's a nice coincidence, I was talking with other italian fellows lately about The Tower of the Swallow, agreeing on how it's the best novel in the saga speaking of narrative structure and storytelling.

Welp anyway, it's not that difficult to understand how The Last Wish chronology worked, in fact I was pretty much surprised I had to explain it.

I so agree with you on that. That's something I really loved in the tower of the swallow + the whole book of the lady of the lake. How it all fits together in the end, it is awesome.

Better quality of the latest Spanish editions of The Tower of The Swallow and Lady of The Lake:

toudis815;n6921490 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuU5Z-Cn25s

​If anyone is interested - Andrzej about witcher at Eurocon. Gotta admit I'm dissapointed with him this time. In most of the interviews he gets such a stupid questions that I'm not surprised with his jerky comments, but this time host was greatly prepared and had some good questions, but AS decided to avoid every serious matter in his answers.

Haven't watched it yet, too drunk to do so right now and their english is so lala, but I guess Sapkowski just doesn't give a shit about what people think of him. This is seen rude by a lot of people, but at least he is honest about that.

I don't have to love Sapkowski, I just love his work, like a lot.

If he wants to prove that books are so much better than any other medium, so maybe he should write a certain sequel ;)

Kallelinski;n7386000 said:
This is seen rude by a lot of people, but at least he is honest about that.
I don't have to love Sapkowski, I just love his work, like a lot.

In general, I like his "I don't give a shit" attitude, which is refreshing, in world where everyone in media/TV is so concerned about what others think. Especially if you consider that he usually gets really stupid questions. I was just saying that this time he got few interesting for a change, so he could try just a little.

toudis815;n7387260 said:
In general, I like his "I don't give a shit" attitude, which is refreshing, in world where everyone in media/TV is so concerned about what others think. Especially if you consider that he usually gets really stupid questions. I was just saying that this time he got few interesting for a change, so he could try just a little.

Yeah, I see what you mean now. He is like a grandpa, who doesn't give a shit about political correctness :)

"I have my problems with counting"
Yeah, we know that, Sapkowski sucks with numbers as we have seen in the books :D

"How many books you read in a year?"
"100, approximate"
You got the time, write new ones before it's too late >_<

They even talked about Pratchett and that he was born in the same year than him...

"the adapation is so facto worse than the original, So no adapation will be mirroring my quality, no one, because I am the guy -he is the original one- I am original."
I think this isn't meant that the games are shit, but they can never achieve what the books did, because it isn't the original and I think in this way he is right. They simply can't because of this little fact.

That sounds harshful, but ultimatively he is right. He is the creator and only him, so everyone else is just trying to copy him, but a copy can never be an original.

What I don't get, he seems like he wrote whatever the fuck he wanted, but at the same time he says he wanted to please the reader. Seems a bit contrary. Write a sequel and not a sidesequel to please me :p

I could imagine that he is bit peeved that the games are a world hit (well, to be honest Witcher 3 is the world hit. The other two were rather hidden gems), while his books are(were) not everywhere, at least not in english countries. Sapkowski denies that his books sold in the millions, but "enough". Witcher 3 alone sold millions.

It also took ages for the official english translation and that's the real problem in my opinion, because if we like it or not, english is the international language. When I started to read the books in german (and finished them), there were just 2 official english versions available and it took years before they even started to publish the next one.
Just look at the english covers, they are clearly targeted at the gamers, while every other book cover is targeting normal fantasy book reader.

I have seen his books standing next to GRRM, at a time when Game of Thrones was becoming a huge hit. So that's how his books are seen elsewhere in the world, however not so much in the english press it seems and thus in the international one.

How many people will think of Sapkowski, when talking about Geralt, even though he created the character? How many will think of CDPR, when talking about Geralt, even though they just used his creations?
The number will vary a lot depending where you will ask, I think.

Maybe he thinks CDPR gets all the credit, even though he should get it and thus his cheeky and bold reactions sometimes.

To an extent I can understand him, imagine you create something, people appreciate it a lot, but then someones comes along, takes it, transforms it into another medium and then this medium is a bigger hit than the original?

Kallelinski;n7388190 said:
Sapkowski denies that his books sold in the millions, but "enough". Witcher 3 alone sold millions.

He's talking rubbish. He sold approximately 3 millions in Poland only (that's not an official figure, but in articles from 2009 media have been writing about 2 mln, so considering all game buzz and SoS in 2013 I would guess that right now 3 is the numer). I have no idea how his sales looks like in different countries, but as far as I know he's also been pretty popular in Russia ( that's a big market) and Czech Republic...

Kallelinski;n7388190 said:
To an extent I can understand him, imagine you create something, people appreciate it a lot, but then someones comes along, takes it, transforms it into another medium and then this medium is a bigger hit than the original?

There's a simple way to avoid it - do not sell right for adaptations

toudis815;n6921490 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuU5Z-Cn25s

​If anyone is interested - Andrzej about witcher at Eurocon. Gotta admit I'm dissapointed with him this time. In most of the interviews he gets such a stupid questions that I'm not surprised with his jerky comments, but this time host was greatly prepared and had some good questions, but AS decided to avoid every serious matter in his answers.
Need to watch it yet, but that preview of yours doesn't reassure me at all, I mean, if he trolled just for the sake of it, even if the topic was interesting, I might not be prepared to watch 1 hour of this. :p

Zyvik;n9519191 said:
So...Has anyone visited the Season of Storms page on the Amazon US? I would suggest not to unless you have suicidal tendencies

OMG:facepalm: . I guess could be worse. Why is so hard to write Geralt of Rivia properly? Can someone tell me where is Riveria in Witcher World?
Zapisz

Zyvik;n9525861 said:
Sigh. The way the English speaking world treats these books is just...It's killing me.
That's part of the reason I read in German. If I have it right, Sapkowski actually proofed their translation.

Riven-Twain;n9525921 said:
That's part of the reason I read in German. If I have it right, Sapkowski actually proofed their translation.

I think he mentioned in some interview that the German translation was one the best.

Top Bottom