The Witcher books (SPOILERS)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Season of Storms actually really complicated the short stories chronology. It looks like the correct one is this:

1. A Grain of Truth
2. Lesser Evil
3. The Edge of The World
4. The Last Wish (short story)
5. Season of Storms (as a whole)
6. A Question of Price
7. The Witcher (short story)
8. Voice of Reason
9. The Bounds of Reason
10. A Shard of Ice
11. Eternal Flame
12. A Little Sacrifice
13. The Sword of Destiny
14. Something More

That could be correct if you try to put what happens in SoS chrnologically, but there're 2 flashforwards on it which makes it way more interesting, and understandable, been read after TLotL. Same with A Road with no return, it's chronologically set up before the very first short story but gets new meanings read after TSoD.

Bad Boy Sapkowski

Can someone explain why didn't Triss answer to geralt when he asked her if she was immune to sickness? (Blood of Elves) And his toughts about his elixir that he gave to her.

Damn, I didn't even know this thread exists:facepalm2:

Why Vilgefortz has an entry in the Lodge thread, I mean, he was one of the greatest enemies for the Lodge itself. :hmmm:

All important sorcerers and sorceresses have their own entries there. I was just too lazy to create another thread for them.

:huh: Turns out i already posted in this thread before. Weird, how could i forget about its existence?

Last edited:
Turns out i already posted in this thread before. Weird, how could i forget about its existence?

It's funny- as soon as a thread gets "stickied" I stop looking at it automatically. I have no idea why.

On the topic of books, I just finished reading Season of Storms and loved it! I got a French copy since there is no good English translation. I really liked Coral's rivalry with Yennefer, and their dinner conversation near the end of the book.

We all know of course that the books are perfect the way they are, but...If you could add, cut or change something about them, what would it be?

Magic seems limitless and has absolutely no negative effects on the person (well, they get exhausted after a while...), if done right.

I would also include Ciri's power to that, she is basically capable of rewriting history with her powers, if she will be able to use it freely and intentionally.

Oh, and I hate that part with the rats.

Hm, maybe the whole sidestory with the Aen Elle, too. Was never really a fan of them from the beginning, I was rather interested in the witcher world and not another one and their problems. Seeing how those problems were dealt in the game now, well, let's say, it didn't change my mind that much :)

Magic seems limitless and has absolutely no negative effects on the person (well, they get exhausted after a while...), if done right.

I would also include Ciri's power to that, she is basically capable of rewriting history with her powers, if she will be able to use it freely and intentionally.

Oh, and I hate that part with the rats.

Hm, maybe the whole sidestory with the Aen Elle, too. Was never really a fan of them from the beginning, I was rather interested in the witcher world and not another one and their problems. Seeing how those problems were dealt in the game now, well, let's say, it didn't change my mind that much :)

Thank you for reminding me that I actually made this post ;D Looks like Geralt's amnesia transfers to people even through the computer screen.

So yeah, here's my entire post:

We all know of course that the books are perfect the way they are, but...If you could add, cut or change something about them, what would it be?

Here's my list:

1) More development for some characters particularly Vilgefortz and Ida Emean. It would've been nice if it was explained why Vilgeforz is so damn powerful and influential. He's a young sorcerer, but can rival Philippa Eilhart in power, already has his own castles, was able to hide from from a group of sorceresses, ect. I'm sorry, Sapko, but "He's extremely talented" is not good enough for me. I'm also not a fan of his characterisation in Lady of the Lake. He was pretty interesting in Time of Contempt, but turned out to be a stereotypical evil sorcerer with no redeeming qualities. Considering how much Sapkowski loves to deconstruct everything, that was a major disappointment. So yeah...I would change his character a bit and give him a different motivation for wanting Ciri's blood.

As for Ida...Well, every member of the Lodge has a role in the books except for her. She's basically there to be another elven sorceress. She rarely speaks and we know almost nothing about her. Wich is a shame, since unlike Francesca (who's very well acquainted with human culture) she seems like a true foreigner among the other members of the Lodge. I'd give her a bigger role in the saga and some information about her backround, about Sages and about elven mages in general.

2) More consistent magic. If mages can read minds, then why does Philippa have any trouble with people like Dijkstra? Why couldn't Yennefer and Triss just teleport themselves to Rivia instead of riding on a horseback? There are lots of moments like this in the books. Though I'm not sure how to fix it. Maybe get rid of mind reading and teleportation completely?

3) I'd make the chapters with the Rats shorter. Their deaths should be more graphic too :devil:

4) I'd cut that scene in wich the Gramps tries to rape (and eat) Ciri. We get it. Everbody wants Ciri: Jarre, all the Rats, Leo, Galahad, Auberon, Emhyr...We get it, Sapko. We don't need another reminder :D

Last edited:
Hi,

Permit me to come back to July discussion about "Is The Road With No Return canon ?"

I agree with Sephira that the description of Visenna in the The Road With No Return and Something More being the same it is obvious that she is the same woman. I've read your doubts whether Sapkowski consider The Road with No Return canon or not even with this link between the two stories. But now we have a new clue : Season of Storms !

In The Road With No Return, Visenna and Korin have to fight a koschey created by the druid Fregenal. And to create the koschey, Fregenal developped old spells invented by the mage Alzur. In Season of Storms, Sapkowski reintroduces Alzur beside Malaspina and Idarran, three mages that are called by castle Rissberg's team "masters of hybridation, mutation and genetic transformation". And later Degerlund says to Geralt that "they created giants, spiders, koscheys...". The link between the two stories is straigtforward.

So in my mind, maybe Sapkowski at the beginning did not want The Road with No Return to be canon, maybe by introducing Visenna in Something more he made a step but was still hesitating. But for me, when he decided to take elements of The Road and to use them to develop several chapters of Season of Storms, he took at the same time the decision to definitively anchor The Road With No Return as canon... except if it is considered that Season of Storms is not canon. Is it ?

Hi,

Permit me to come back to July discussion about "Is The Road With No Return canon ?"

I agree with Sephira that the description of Visenna in the The Road With No Return and Something More being the same it is obvious that she is the same woman. I've read your doubts whether Sapkowski consider The Road with No Return canon or not even with this link between the two stories. But now we have a new clue : Season of Storms !

In The Road With No Return, Visenna and Korin have to fight a koschey created by the druid Fregenal. And to create the koschey, Fregenal developped old spells invented by the mage Alzur. In Season of Storms, Sapkowski reintroduces Alzur beside Malaspina and Idarran, three mages that are called by castle Rissberg's team "masters of hybridation, mutation and genetic transformation". And later Degerlund says to Geralt that "they created giants, spiders, koscheys...". The link between the two stories is straigtforward.

So in my mind, maybe Sapkowski at the beginning did not want The Road with No Return to be canon, maybe by introducing Visenna in Something more he made a step but was still hesitating. But for me, when he decided to take elements of The Road and to use them to develop several chapters of Season of Storms, he took at the same time the decision to definitively anchor The Road With No Return as canon... except if it is considered that Season of Storms is not canon. Is it ?

Well, doubting if SoS is canon is like doubting any other of the novels, imo.

Hi,

Both Season of Storms and The Road With No Return are canon. The only non-canon story is Something Ends, Something Begins.

Thank you for reminding me that I actually made this post ;D Looks like Geralt's amnesia transfers to people even through the computer screen.

So yeah, here's my entire post:

Here's my list:

1) More development for some characters particularly Vilgefortz and Ida Emean. It would've been nice if it was explained why Vilgeforz is so damn powerful and influential. He's a young sorcerer, but can rival Philippa Eilhart in power, already has his own castles, was able to hide from from a group of sorceresses, ect. I'm sorry, Sapko, but "He's extremely talented" is not good enough for me. I'm also not a fan of his characterisation in Lady of the Lake. He was pretty interesting in Time of Contempt, but turned out to be a stereotypical evil sorcerer with no redeeming qualities. Considering how much Sapkowski loves to deconstruct everything, that was a major disappointment. So yeah...I would change his character a bit and give him a different motivation for wanting Ciri's blood.

As for Ida...Well, every member of the Lodge has a role in the books except for her. She's basically there to be another elven sorceress. She rarely speaks and we know almost nothing about her. Wich is a shame, since unlike Francesca (who's very well acquainted with human culture) she seems like a true foreigner among the other members of the Lodge. I'd give her a bigger role in the saga and some information about her backround, about Sages and about elven mages in general.

2) More consistent magic. If mages can read minds, then why does Philippa have any trouble with people like Dijkstra? Why couldn't Yennefer and Triss just teleport themselves to Rivia instead of riding on a horseback? There are lots of moments like this in the books. Though I'm not sure how to fix it. Maybe get rid of mind reading and teleportation completely?

3) I'd make the chapters with the Rats shorter. Their deaths should be more graphic too

4) I'd cut that scene in wich the Gramps tries to rape (and eat) Ciri. We get it. Everbody wants Ciri: Jarre, all the Rats, Leo, Galahad, Auberon, Emhyr...We get it, Sapko. We don't need another reminder
Mine are a bit different and are all about the last book, so here:

1. More Vilgefortz's development, changing his dialogues in ToS and rewriting all his scenes in LotL, they felt so rushed, banal, something like a James Bond old villain. Not what I was used to read in the previous books.

2. Changing how Geralt knows what to do in Toussaint, it felt a bit like a forced deus ex machina. I don't hate this plot device per se, but it was really forced here.

3. Ciri appearing in front of Nimue and Condwiramus. I think there could have been another way for her to get the right path.

4. Slowing the pace of the last chapter, while I loved it, I think it was a bit rushed.

The rest, nothing... because it's all linked between the 7 books, clues, details,...perfectly placed.

3. Ciri appearing in front of Nimue and Condwiramus. I think there could have been another way for her to get the right path.

Now that you mentioned it, I remembered another thing that bothered me in Lady of the Lake. How was Nimue able to open a portal into the past? Have mages learnt how to travel through time in the future?

Well, doubting if SoS is canon is like doubting any other of the novels, imo.
Both Season of Storms and The Road With No Return are canon. The only non-canon story is Something Ends, Something Begins.

I agree with you that Season of storms is probably canon... if we get off some elements that should not be there. Jaskier, for example, that in 1245 is a young man of around 18 that cannot be the Geralt's old friend already famous in the whole world described in the book. So Jaskier in that book at that time is a pure nonsense. Sapkowski told that this novel is not a prequel but a "sidequel, a story in the world of". Let's hope that, Jaskier apart, all the story is canon and chronogically correct, but there will always exist a doubt.

Hey there I have a question regarding the dutch cover version of Blood of elves.
Does somebody know who this character is on the front cover? I am not sure but I think Triss Merigold, but then again this character is holding two swords (daggers maybe) in her hands

Attachments

• 9789024564019.jpg
    9789024564019.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 44
Hey there I have a question regarding the dutch cover version of Blood of elves.
Does somebody know who this character is on the front cover? I am not sure but I think Triss Merigold, but then again this character is holding two swords (daggers maybe) in her hands

I would vote that's Triss too...

Bigger verision of the pic:

Last edited:
In Blood of Elves there are only two main female characters who are Triss and Yennefer. Due to the color of the hair she must be Triss. But I agree that to draw a sorceress with two daggers in hand is not a good idea and in this particular case has no relation with the content of the book.

In Blood of Elves there are only two main female characters who are Triss and Yennefer. Due to the color of the hair she must be Triss. But I agree that to draw a sorceress with two daggers in hand is not a good idea and in this particular case has no relation with the content of the book.

I agree, I kinda think the Ilustrater used his imagination a bit by adding the daggers but yeah.

This is the dutch cover of time of contempt: featuring Yennefer I think. Btw i really love the dutch covers!

Attachments

• 9200000030339278.jpg
    9200000030339278.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 46
OK. And the cover for Tower of Swallow is this one with Ciri :

So we understand the concept : on the top there is a character and on the bottom the character has always a sword or knives. Even if it's not appropriate for Triss or Yennefer, this is the concept for all the covers, so let's take them as they are... nice, anyway ! :)

So we understand the concept : on the top there is a character and on the bottom the character has always a sword or knives. Even if it's not appropriate for Triss or Yennefer, this is the concept for all the covers, so let's take them as they are... nice, anyway !

Hahaha yes good point! Even though Swallow's tower still needs to be translated into dutch *sniff*.

UPDATE: Swallow's tower is being released in dutch on: 28-03-2016! YAY!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom