The Witcher books (SPOILERS)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing that the spanish translator had the idea of creating a short glossary at the end of the book.

He didn't create that, only translated. Sapkowski made that glossary. In Narrenturm it's not very big, but in Warrors of God and Lux Perpetua it is pretty extensive. And I don't mind seeing a Latin sentences in the book, because it helps to better feel the old times.
And seriously - what's the problem with those sentences? Almost all of them are translated at the end.

He didn't create that, only translated. Sapkowski made that glossary. In Narrenturm it's not very big, but in Warrors of God and Lux Perpetua it is pretty extensive. And I don't mind seeing a Latin sentences in the book, because it helps to better feel the old times.
And seriously - what's the problem with those sentences? Almost all of them are translated at the end.
Ah my bad, didn't know glossary was already in the original version. :)

Well, I don't have problem at all with those sentences, since they're not out of place and I quite understand them without the glossary.

Did my post sound as a complain?

Definitely not a teen audience, and I can assure you I can Neither Witcher books are, but not because of the writing style but for all the details hidden in the prose and style.

There are people who will always describe any fantasy novel as a teenage book. Witcher for sure is a multi - level literature in a way. Some people will enjoy monster killing, some will appreciate the language, references to classic literaturę, and some will find analogies to modern politics, and social behaviours etc. You can say it's just a very good postmodern literature. Although I'm curious whether I'll enjoy Witcher in my 40'ties. Probably yes

The fact that not all of them are translated can be a pain in the ass :D

Last edited:
There are people who will always describe any fantasy novel as a teenage book. Witcher for sure is a multi - level literaturę in a way. Some people will enjoy monster killing, some will appreciate the language, references to classic literaturę, and some will find analogies to modern politics, and social behaviours etc. You can say it's just a very good postmodern literature. Although I'm curious whether I'll enjoy Witcher in my 40'ties. Probably yes
I agree about literature and references. Anyway rereading books after years can make you understand if what you've read is only just a good book for that target audience or a good book for all (well some maybe not for everyone).

My father is in his 60s and enjoyed Witcher books a lot. So you might have a chance. ;)

Anyway rereading books after years can make you understand if what you've read is only just a good book for that target audience or a good book for all (well some maybe not for everyone). My father is in his 60s and enjoyed Witcher books a lot. So you might have a chance.

Good to know, so there's a chance for many more years with Witcher. I read them first time when I was 16, last year after 8 years I tried them again and I it was even more satifying. I'll do round numer three, maybe when I'll cross 30, see what happen then :D

Good to know, so there's a chance for many more years with Witcher. I read them first time when I was 16, last year after 8 years I tried them again and I it was even more satifying. I'll do round numer three, maybe when I'll cross 30, see what happen then :D
That's a good idea. I was thinking about reareading them all in a row as well, but I don't know if I can, that to read list is quite long. :D

I read half the series 2 times anyway, I did enjoy the book more after the second reading, especially Lady of the Lake, a lot of things and details fell into place.

I've scanned the new Spanish book covers also with back sides you can check here http://imgur.com/a/tjp7M

Thanks! Like I said before, Spanish covers are absolutely top notch. But I don't get why Spanish publishers put some excerpts from polish magazines reviews on first 3 books back sides. I mean if I was in bookstore trying to find something new, a positive review from a magazine I have never heard of wouldn't be an any incentive. Publishers usually give books to critics for review a little time before premiere so I'm pretty sure they could find at least two from Spanish magazines. But it's just me complaining...as always :D

And I am just waiting here for it to be released in Dutch in September ^^. Thank god not another year like the English translation.

Yeah, it sucks here in the States for the english translation. The Tower of the Swallow was just published here. Ending of the year (maybe) for Lady of the Lake. And who knows when Season of Storms that he wrote 3 years ago will be english translated and published here

Yeah, it sucks here in the States for the english translation. The Tower of the Swallow was just published here. Ending of the year (maybe) for Lady of the Lake. And who knows when Season of Storms that he wrote 3 years ago will be english translated and published here

Yesh The tower of the swallow was released in NL on 23 of May. And like I said lady of the lake in September around 27th I think. Omg yes I so hope Season of Storms will be released soon aswell. I do have a copy but it is in Czech xD

Yesh The tower of the swallow was released in NL on 23 of May. And like I said lady of the lake in September around 27th I think. Omg yes I so hope Season of Storms will be released soon aswell. I do have a copy but it is in Czech xD

I just found the fan translated english version. That's how I had to read the last 2 books. But I can't start reading it yet, I have to go to bed because I have my college class tonight

Last edited:
I just found the fan translated english version. That's how I had to read the last 2 books. But I can't start reading it yet, I have to go to bed because I have my college class tonight

Yeah I know how you feel. But I can't bring myself to reading the fan translations thought. I wanna read the official one's, and wel I still have lot's of games to entertain myself with to kill some time. Goodnight already then and goodluck on college!

Yeah I know how you feel. But I can't bring myself to reading the fan translations thought. I wanna read the official one's, and wel I still have lot's of games to entertain myself with to kill some time. Goodnight already then and goodluck on college!

I have never been one to wait. And thank you for the kind words about collage. I'm currently studying Information Technology (I.T.) and when that is over I will be going into Game Development. So a lot to learn in close to 5 years.

I have never been one to wait. And thank you for the kind words about collage. I'm currently studying Information Technology (I.T.) and when that is over I will be going into Game Development. So a lot to learn in close to 5 years.

Yeah then it is actually good to have the fan translations :). Ooooh the IT, that's kinda hard right? I mean I heard it was quite hard sometimes. Me myself am doing a bachelor communication and multimedia design, currently doing a minor game design and it's really great. Doing mostly concept art.

Your publisher is pretty fast I see, so good.

Yeah wel I guess witcher is growing more known here now because of the video game, namely the witcher 3 wild hunt.
But yes I am really glad it will be released soon.

Oh and here is the cover of the Dutch edition of lady of the lake (it's a bit pixelated, but this is the best I could find so far)

cyseal

I started reading first book Last Wish and I enjoy it very much. But, my topic is not about it's content but more general content of all books and the lore.

Do witcher adventures involve travelling to some other fantasy/magical realms (via the portals) which are not populated with humans in majority but some other races, beings?
For example, magical flying cities, underground ruins and cities populated with different races and magic involved ... etc.

Do witcher adventures involve travelling to some other fantasy/magical realms (via the portals) which are not populated with humans in majority but some other races, beings? For example, magical flying cities, underground ruins and cities populated with different races and magic involved ... etc.

Not much, in last book we have Tir na Lia - world rules by Aen Elle Elves (Eredin, Avallach etc). Ciri does some travels between worlds also but it's mostly past/future, nothing special

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom