The Witcher books (SPOILERS)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snake_Foxhounder;n10414022 said:
Please don't kill me for this but are the books overrated? Just a tiny bit? Whenever I see people comment on them, the word "genious" is brought up. Having read them all apart from Season of Storms, they're not that good.

They set up an interesting world, interesting characters and some great moments but something feels like it's missing.

The character building and world building was really good - the storytelling was mediocre. A lot of areas where it felt to me like we waited forever for Geralt to get somewhere...a lot of traveling without much happening. But the areas with action like the Thanedd event, areas with romance, etc. flew by for me because they were fairly well written.

Snake_Foxhounder;n10414022 said:
Please don't kill me for this but are the books overrated? Just a tiny bit? Whenever I see people comment on them, the word "genious" is brought up. Having read them all apart from Season of Storms, they're not that good.

They set up an interesting world, interesting characters and some great moments but something feels like it's missing.

Well everybody has it's own taste. I love the stories and the books very much, and no one wants to kill you, just because you hvae a different taste.

Razrback16;n10689451 said:
The character building and world building was really good - the storytelling was mediocre. A lot of areas where it felt to me like we waited forever for Geralt to get somewhere...a lot of traveling without much happening. But the areas with action like the Thanedd event, areas with romance, etc. flew by for me because they were fairly well written.

Completely forgot about this thread.

The quoted post describes my issues with the books entirely. The world building is excellent but the pacing is off. Some of the best book moments happen in short stories. The pace slows down really bad in the second half of the novels but picks up near the end of the Lady of the Lake. I get the sense he ran out of storytelling ideas so he used the whole looking at paintings and dreaming of the past to fill in the gaps. It just created some pacing issues.

Characters are interesting, world building is great but pacing is off. I also think witchers themselves could have used more background info. As in an in-detail look of what they go through with becoming witchers. Quite honestly, you get a better idea of what witchers are and what they go through in Witcher 3 than you do in the books.

No necros without cause!

(Behind, him, a few Paladins jump up, fumbling with weapons and gear. He waves them off. They hesitate...eyeing the handful of undead milling about, then go back to their business.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom