The Witcher books (SPOILERS)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ciri's parts started to get a bit better

To be fair, Ciri's era with the rats is barely give any stage time. It happens from the very end of Time of Contempt until the beginning of Tower of the Swallow, but almost the entirety of Baptism of Fire is about Geralt. There are only tiny parts about Ciri and other characters in that book.

To be fair, Ciri's era with the rats is barely give any stage time. It happens from the very end of Time of Contempt until the beginning of Tower of the Swallow, but almost the entirety of Baptism of Fire is about Geralt. There are only tiny parts about Ciri and other characters in that book.
Well, that's also true. We are relieved that the Rats part ended abruptly.

Amen.

Yeah, Sapkowski kinda dropped the ball with the Rats. Their sympathetic backstories were crammed together in the last pages of Time of Contempt, after that they were acting as a background and we barely saw Ciri interacting with any of them, aside of Mistle. If AS spend more time on developing their characters and showing their sympathetic side, Bonhart's slaughter could be a really heart wrenching moment. Instead reader just simply move on like nothing happened or care only because of Ciri's reaction.

So Assire and Fringilla have this talk about how Emhyr once gave them a strand of hair of a person he needed to find, and they say that it's a different lock than what he gave the astrologist. Whose was the second strand, then, and what's with Emhyr's confusion (if it's that)?

It might be explained later on in the books, but I don't remember the answer from my previous readthrough and I'm worried I'll forget to ask later on. I'm a bit puzzled about this hairy business.

Small question about The lady of the Lake detail.

When Ciri
does travel randomly accross different worlds she stops in one and finds (my own translation from the spanish book) The Old Man in the Forest who knows she can travel throught time and space and we discover he's a raper and a cannibal.

Any clue about who he's or why does he know what he does? Any polish or slav legend or fairy tale related? another literature reference?

Sorry if it has been asked around, coulnd't find it, just wanted to know if someone else have some info or theory.

Last edited:
So Assire and Fringilla have this talk about how Emhyr once gave them a strand of hair of a person he needed to find, and they say that it's a different lock than what he gave the astrologist. Whose was the second strand, then, and what's with Emhyr's confusion (if it's that)?

It might be explained later on in the books, but I don't remember the answer from my previous readthrough and I'm worried I'll forget to ask later on. I'm a bit puzzled about this hairy business.

Not sure you have that right.
Both the hair seen by the sorceresses and the astrologer at Emhyr's instruction were from Cirilla. The sorceress discounted the "ciri" of Darn Rowan as she was "just" a common woman. The hair was uncommon and not from this woman. The significance was lost on them as they had not heard the Nordling legends of the Elder Blood, (nor of the intertwining Falka myth). (Blood of Elves).
The Astrologer was given the hair with the intent to scry for the location of Ciri after the failure of the Sorcerers/Sorceresses at Thanned and the suspicion of incomplete trustworthiness. He located Ciri and Skellen was sent to retrieve her from the Rats.
Treachery ensues, and Skellen is found to be working for his own interests, and has his own plans for Ciri in addition ~ his hired sword also decides to go his own way for a while before the (hidden) revelations about who/what she is at Unicorn. Later Leo and Skellen side with Vilgefortz.
(Tower of the Swallow)
Eventually the Darn Rowan "cirilla" becomes the Wife consort of the Nilfgaardian Empire and Queen of Cintra after the destruction of the Mage's castle.
(Lady of the Lake).

Last edited:
I've just finished The Last Wish. Amazing! Now I'm unsure whether to start reading Blood of Elves or The Sword of Destiny. But, the fan translations seem a bit bad (sorry). According to wikipedia, SoD introduces Ciri in the last two chapters, so I should probably read those at least. But how about the rest of the stories - are they important? There seems to be a bit of Yennefer in them. Or will the Ciri chapters be enough to start Blood of Elves?

I read Sword of Destiny after Baptism of Fire and it makes the Ciri stories much more powerful than I suspect they would feel if read in chronological order.

I read Sword of Destiny after The Last Wish, and then went on to the novels. I wish i'd gotten my hands on them in the correct order, but it's still a really great saga

I read Sword of Destiny after The Last Wish, and then went on to the novels. I wish i'd gotten my hands on them in the correct order, but it's still a really great saga

That is the right order.
TLW, SoD, BoE, ToC, BoF, TotS, LotL

yes and no :) arguably, reading sword of destiny first is better, but granted, it's arguable .. and of course now there's Season of Storms ...

Last edited:
When Ciri
does travel randomly accross different worlds she stops in one and finds (my own translation from the spanish book) The Old Man in the Forest who knows she can travel throught time and space and we discover he's a raper and a cannibal.

Any clue about who he's or why does he know what he does? Any polish or slav legend or fairy tale related? another literature reference?

Sorry if it has been asked around, coulnd't find it, just wanted to know if someone else have some info or theory.

None have any opinion about this?

I've voted too.

And for those who doubt of reading even fan translation and have already read The Last Wish...

READ THEM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom