The Witcher books (SPOILERS)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta admit - Koral's illustration is rather suggestive :D

BTW Czech people - what was the genesis of translating Jaskier (Dandelion) name into "Marigold"? I mean doesn't it create any confusion since we have Triss Merigold?

Triss' surname was changed to "Ranuncul" in the Czech version to avoid confusion :D

Triss' surname was changed to "Ranuncul" in the Czech version to avoid confusion

Translator drank too much Czech Beer :D

I agree with you that Season of storms is probably canon... if we get off some elements that should not be there. Jaskier, for example, that in 1245 is a young man of around 18 that cannot be the Geralt's old friend already famous in the whole world described in the book. So Jaskier in that book at that time is a pure nonsense. Sapkowski told that this novel is not a prequel but a "sidequel, a story in the world of". Let's hope that, Jaskier apart, all the story is canon and chronogically correct, but there will always exist a doubt.

On the Polish site we reached a conclusion that the Season's story doesn't take place in 1245, but in 1251, basing on quotes from short stories. The complex analysis can be found on forum of Sapkowski's official page, here.

Funny thing isn't Ranuncul what Jaskier means in polish?
Yep. Ranunculus is Latin for "buttercup".
Oh well, that's why in italian his name is Ranuncolo indeed. :p

On the Polish site we reached a conclusion that the Season's story doesn't take place in 1245, but in 1251, basing on quotes from short stories. The complex analysis can be found on forum of Sapkowski's official page, here.
Thank you so much, I couldn't find this page anymore.

I think that both money and will to write another Witcher story seeing all the revamped success played their part when Sapkowski decided to write the book, but that's just me. :p

Man, I hope I will be able to read it. Still no news from the italian publisher, even if I asked the author himself, during a meeting with the fans, if he knew something about, he only replied he would have been happy if that happened because it's one of his major works, and that he will have a word with the publisher.

I'm still waiting, but probably because (and I sincerely hope that's the reason) the publisher is busy with Season of Storms... fingers crossed.

Hussite trilogy is for younger audience though. The target is more like 16-21 yo.

Hussite trilogy is for younger audience though. The target is more like 16-21 yo.

:what:
What? Have you ever read it? I STRONGLY disagree. It's the same mature, complicated and mysterious story as in The Witcher Cycle. Does the main plot (which is about love) means that it's targeted for younger people? No. And it's not only about love but also about
God and ideology.
And you won't find those topics in nowadays teenage targeted books.

It's the same mature, complicated and mysterious story as in The Witcher Cycle

Exactly, I don't see any difference in target between Witcher and Trilogy. I mean, many people might say that Witcher is for teenagers too. Hussite Trilogy is somehow more demanding because the more you know about history the more fun you have reading it.

Gotta admit - Koral's illustration is rather suggestive :D

BTW Czech people - what was the genesis of translating Jaskier (Dandelion) name into "Marigold"? I mean doesn't it create any confusion since we have Triss Merigold?

Well probably the translator wanted to invent own names for Sapkowski's characters inspired by the meaning of the Polish words and Sapkowski himself really liked that...even word "Zaklínač" etc.

In the latest interview from China he says that in his opinion the best translation of his work is Czech :)
https://youtu.be/IF8e2Km56Tk?t=34m

Last edited:
Good to know! I wonder wich translation he considers the worst.

He said that English translation is really bad...I can agree with that thanks to the short audiobook samples I'm making on my youtube channel - I see that there are missing even whole sentences in English versions...that's like very bad.

And also this Zyvik...just see :( The Tower of SwallowS instead of The Tower of Swallow...

as huge fan of Sapkowski books that is really sad to see that official US publisher even made such poor job with the translation of the main title.

He said that English translation is really bad...I can agree with that thanks to the short audiobook samples I'm making on my youtube channel - I see that there are missing even whole sentences in English versions...that's like very bad.

And also this Zyvik...just see :( The Tower of SwallowS instead of The Tower of Swallow...

as huge fan of Sapkowski books that is really sad to see that official US publisher even made such poor job with the translation of the main title.

God, those covers...I just can't handle them :facepalm2:

Am I the only one here who get’s really hungry when reading the part from sword of destiny chapter ‘The Bounds of Reason’. Were Geralt is eating together with three jackdaws. Damn man how Sapkowksi describes that food!

Welp, 16-21 is a broad target, I'd split it into two. Generally when a book is mainly directed to a teen audience (to me, it's max 16 and below that) you can notice it.

:what:
What? Have you ever read it? I STRONGLY disagree. It's the same mature, complicated and mysterious story as in The Witcher Cycle. Does the main plot (which is about love) means that it's targeted for younger people? No. And it's not only about love but also about
God and ideology.
And you won't find those topics in nowadays teenage targeted books.

Exactly, I don't see any difference in target between Witcher and Trilogy. I mean, many people might say that Witcher is for teenagers too. Hussite Trilogy is somehow more demanding because the more you know about history the more fun you have reading it.
I managed to read prologue and first chapter in spanish, though I struggled near the end of the chapter. I'd say it's not a teen target at all. Also there's so much latin in only one chapter that I don't know how folks who haven't studied it can fully enjoy the reading. Good thing that the spanish translator had the idea of creating a short glossary at the end of the book.

Definitely not a teen audience, and I can assure you I can Neither Witcher books are, but not because of the writing style but for all the details hidden in the prose and style.

I've read it can be an easy mistake anyway. About english translation, Sword of Destiny seems good and better to me, tbh, it's the only one that I've read a bit with english official translation.

At least UK publisher got it right ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom