The Witcher downloadable demo available now!

+
The Witcher downloadable demo available now!

Atari today announced the launch of the playable demo for The Witcher, the acclaimed first game from Polish development studio CD Projekt RED and a PC role-playing masterwork which delivers an engrossing story and thrilling tactical combat, all set in a mature and compelling original fantasy universe. The demo can be downloaded here.Giving players a tantalizing taste of the world of The Witcher, the demo begins with the first part of the prologue in which the seeds of the story are sown and the white haired witcher Geralt learns the rudiments of combat. The prologue is followed by a huge part of Act 1, during which Geralt of Rivia will see the first threads of the story weave their web around him and be called upon to slay man and beast to stay alive and earn his keep.

Brysiu said:
...the prologue is followed by the entirety of Act 1, during which Geralt of Rivia will see the first threads of the story weave their web around him and be called upon to slay man and beast to stay alive and earn his keep.
That's quite a large demo! Will demo players be able to carry their saves over to the full game if they buy it?

Mopy said:
Mopy said:
...the prologue is followed by the entirety of Act 1, during which Geralt of Rivia will see the first threads of the story weave their web around him and be called upon to slay man and beast to stay alive and earn his keep.
That's quite a large demo! Will demo players be able to carry their saves over to the full game if they buy it?
From technical point of view saves from demo version loaded into full version will work but we cannot guarantee that there will be no crashes or story issues.

Diabolius said:
About 6 hours ingame playtime. Thats more than the entire Max Payne 2 playtime.
Righto.And it's much better than some demos of late, Crysis, Jericho, UAWEA, or the worst, Heavenly Sword. Gigabytes of data for not even one hour of playtime.But regarding the rumors some time ago, the patch can't be far.

Eriash said:
Eriash said:
Eriash said:
From technical point of view saves from demo version loaded into full version will work but we cannot guarantee that there will be no crashes or story issues.
more important : is the demo optimized ? will it give me an idea of the game with the future patch concerning time download or is it made on a actual version ?

As far as I know (and I know it from Polish fans playing the polish demo) there are some elements of 1.2 patch implemented. So loading times should be shorter. Don't quote me on that, however.

I hope this demo gets CDPR many more sales. I usually play a demo before I even think of buying a game just to see how it works on my system, but I took a chance on The Witcher and bought the game. I'm glad I did, but others may have put it off.It's good to see so much effort being put into this game by CDPR.

Daerdin said:
As far as I know (and I know it from Polish fans playing the polish demo) there are some elements of 1.2 patch implemented. So loading times should be shorter. Don't quote me on that, however.
That would mean 1.2 isn't far... This week, please? ;)

We decided that it would be just not fair to give people 1/2 h experience or so. We really want you to enjoy the world, story, NPCs... If you play demo and you like it... you'll love full game :).

This is probably a real long shot; but I can't resist at least mentioning it.If the demo has some aspects of the 1.2 patch, IE quicker loading times;And if the loading times is a question of engine mechanics in regards to decompressing files, and not checking for the disc everytime, etc, is there a slight chance that overwriting the files from the demo, ontop of the full game would also force those corrections onto the full game? At least the "no disc check" part, since that's not related to the content of the later chapter scripts, textures, etc.I just might try it. I'm purposely not going far ingame while waiting for the patch anyway. Re-installing is no big deal to me.*downloading the demo*

Thanks but no thanks. I have found demos can spoil the game when I buy it, and I am definitely buying this game after they polish it up with patches.

Wow, that's a big portion of the game -- Prologue and Chap 1. Very nice!!!I'm curious, since it's a big portion of the game, say someone gets the demo. Plays through the demo and all. If they like it and decide to go out and buy the FULL Version of The Witcher and install that, will they then be able to use their SAVED Game files from the DEMO Version with the FULL Versionbu???I'm guessing if there is a YES answer to my question, they'd probably have to move the SAVE files of the DEMO Version INTO the Full Version's SAVE folder -- correct???

Is this demo english version or multi-language ?
MysterD said:
Wow, that's a big portion of the game -- Prologue and Chap 1. Very nice!!!I'm curious, since it's a big portion of the game, say someone gets the demo. Plays through the demo and all. If they like it and decide to go out and buy the FULL Version of The Witcher and install that, will they then be able to use their SAVED Game files from the DEMO Version with the FULL Versionbu???I'm guessing if there is a YES answer to my question, they'd probably have to move the SAVE files of the DEMO Version INTO the Dull Version's SAVE folder -- correct???
If you read the thread, someone from CD Projekt answer that they should work, but they can't guarantee you that you will not have crash/strange in-game behaviour (storyline/quest related, version related ?)nb : quote button is bugged, the quote balise don't close ^^

Top Bottom